Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This is the best thing I have see this year so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Commisioner gordon’s really having a bad day huh?

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

What's he's going on about, February is awesome.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Cold owns. Ugly weather rules. gently caress summer.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, it's not exciting but I'd take a full year of Februaries if it meant I wouldn't have to sweat my rear end off all summer.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
People still repeating that "Nixon created the EPA" hogwash? A veto-proof majority in both houses of Congress created the EPA. Nixon was just a smart enough politician to get out of the way.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Milo and POTUS posted:

wisdom

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

gleebster posted:

People still repeating that "Nixon created the EPA" hogwash? A veto-proof majority in both houses of Congress created the EPA. Nixon was just a smart enough politician to get out of the way.

People really want to like Nixon, I don’t know why

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

doverhog posted:

Like creating the EPA.

*IIRC he also started the war on marijuana, also Vietnam, etc. he was terrible, not trying to defend him, except to say there are worse than him, some recently

Nixon didn't start Vietnam but he did a lot to prolong the war.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

gently caress summer.

But I hardly know her!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

CharlestheHammer posted:

People really want to like Nixon, I don’t know why

His legend is that he grew up poor, fought with the world and himself to become something he was not, to ie transcend the hand that life had given him, as well as being an alcoholic and struggling with demons. In strange moments in his biopics and biographies he is suddenly drunkenly truthful and honest, and vulnerable.
Of course people latch on to a character like that, how couldn't they? Nixon appears a lot more human than other presidents of the United States. A struggling man trying to win. People see themselves in it.
The story is not true of course. But it's a good story.

People in Vietnam talk about him like Hitler and if nothing else puts Nixon in perspective, that should.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

People in Vietnam talk about him like Hitler and if nothing else puts Nixon in perspective, that should.

:hmmyes:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I feel like if Nixon had won in '60 he would have been a completely different president and person

I kind of wonder what would have happened, to be honest. I feel like the bitterness of that loss really contributed to who he became 8 years later

Every human is complex, but Nixon being the same guy who bombed Cambodia, expanded the Vietnam War, elevated Kissinger, and avowed anti-communist who also created the EPA, signed the Clean Water Act, opened up China and was pretty pro-healthcare just takes it to a level few other humans could ever reach

Seth Pecksniff has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Feb 6, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
thats why you return to your boat or beach or whatever once astronomical twlight starts. water's too dark.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah when he got lost at sea he instagrammed the whole thing (getting lost on the water starts around 1:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkuR8ODzo1Q

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah when he got lost at sea he instagrammed the whole thing (getting lost on the water starts around 1:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkuR8ODzo1Q
Well he has a proven record of not knowing where the man in the boat is 🤷🏻‍♀️

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Well he has a proven record of not knowing where the man in the boat is 🤷🏻‍♀️

:hmmyes:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

The worst thing about February is that it's not as cold as January

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
WE DA BEST MUSIC

DJ KHALED

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

WE DA LOST MUSIC

DJ KHALED

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hell for DJ Khaled is stuck on a jet ski at night for eternity with nothing but pussy and hot wings to eat.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/VICEUK/status/1490735595819257858?s=20&t=fCj0LIOWA2ALEYa9gvdG-w

My "I am the Eunuch Maker" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, you need to advertise in today’s world.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Quite a eunuch service to provide, I wonder how many years of med school it requires.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

By popular demand posted:

Quite a eunuch service to provide, I wonder how many years of med school it requires.

Urological surgery is a 5 year residency. I'm not sure if that covers "eunuch making" but I don't know which other specialty would.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

This is a super pro-click

Also that man is the spitting image of my father, which is really weird

e: apparently this guy is a Trumper. I got milkshake ducked.

Pope Hilarius II has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Feb 7, 2022

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Pope Hilarius II posted:

e: apparently this guy is a Trumper. I got milkshake ducked.

godammit february, not again

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Well this is quite a saga.

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1490738885328056326

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://boingboing.net/2022/02/08/accused-crypto-scammer-is-also-a-rapper-and-a-forbes-blogger.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/KUOW/status/1491260568463945730

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Great time for some extremely targeted ads

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1491412852606791680

There's also a podcast that breaks mazda stereos

https://jalopnik.com/theres-a-weird-way-certain-audio-tracks-can-brick-a-car-1834216689

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That news article won't load. This is something different than old school radio I guess, or is there something I have never heard of as far as tying that to something other than just a general audio signal?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bgluckman/status/1491576221649358848

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Hygiene posted:

That news article won't load. This is something different than old school radio I guess, or is there something I have never heard of as far as tying that to something other than just a general audio signal?

The issue with the podcast had to do with the way the stereo would read a file's name and communicate with the rest of the car.

That Article posted:

Certain symbols can’t be used in certain slots for text because they inadvertently screw up the programming behind whatever software you’re using. The percent sign followed by I, as in “%I,” as in 99% Invisible, has a meaning in the programming language C, for example. But Brandon Goozman, one of the authors of the Mazda’s audio coding, explained on Reply All that the 2016 Mazda 6 doesn’t use C.

Instead, Goozman posited that %I was interrupting another signal in the Mazda stereo’s operation.

ALEX: And so then I said, “Okay so why is the stereo restarting?” And Brandon told me that when they designed the car, they made it so that the radio was regularly sending a little message to the rest of the car saying ”I’m working, I’m working, I’m working.” Brandon called it a heartbeat.

PJ: Uh-huh.

BRANDON: And the hardware layer is listening for that. And as long as it gets it, it’s happy. If it doesn’t get it, it will assume that the UI has frozen, and it will restart it to a known good state.

ALEX: It’s, it’s saying,“It’s not communicating with me.”

BRANDON: Yeah–

ALEX: “Something is wrong.” And, and it just start–starts over.

So Reply All figured out that while %I didn’t mean anything to the Mazda’s stereo, it is enough to confuse the system into continually restarting.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The future is so amazingly stupid at times. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: lol they‘re hosed

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The issue with the podcast had to do with the way the stereo would read a file's name and communicate with the rest of the car.

quote:

That Article posted:
Certain symbols can’t be used in certain slots for text because they inadvertently screw up the programming behind whatever software you’re using. The percent sign followed by I, as in “%I,” as in 99% Invisible, has a meaning in the programming language C, for example. But Brandon Goozman, one of the authors of the Mazda’s audio coding, explained on Reply All that the 2016 Mazda 6 doesn’t use C.

Instead, Goozman posited that %I was interrupting another signal in the Mazda stereo’s operation.

ALEX: And so then I said, “Okay so why is the stereo restarting?” And Brandon told me that when they designed the car, they made it so that the radio was regularly sending a little message to the rest of the car saying ”I’m working, I’m working, I’m working.” Brandon called it a heartbeat.

PJ: Uh-huh.

BRANDON: And the hardware layer is listening for that. And as long as it gets it, it’s happy. If it doesn’t get it, it will assume that the UI has frozen, and it will restart it to a known good state.

ALEX: It’s, it’s saying,“It’s not communicating with me.”

BRANDON: Yeah–

ALEX: “Something is wrong.” And, and it just start–starts over.

So Reply All figured out that while %I didn’t mean anything to the Mazda’s stereo, it is enough to confuse the system into continually restarting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vIjBtdEQRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thats not weird, is called a watch dog. And is good for when you can't trust something to reboot on itself.

Anyway you have always to treat input has malicious and survive to any combination of bits in input.