Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

What??
I always thought it was funny you could make like Gurren Lagan and have your dude pilot a mech which pilots it's own mech.

Thank you for reminding me that I am way overdue to rewatch that.

Also I like "Taking off your pants is a special action" on the iceberg and will forever be amused that was, indeed, a relevant action in the game of Magic: the Gathering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HootTheOwl posted:

What??
I always thought it was funny you could make like Gurren Lagan and have your dude pilot a mech which pilots it's own mech.

Vehicles can still crew other vehicles, they just cannot crew themself.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

fell down an mtgwiki hole and wound up at vanity cards

can't believe how many old card names I thought were randomly thought up fantasy style names are just anagrams of people's names or nicknames, like "Telim Tor" being an anagram of "Mr. Toilet", the nickname of one of the designers

I understand why they decided not to do vanity cards anymore but it's a shame, I want another Pheldagriff

Telim Tor (Mirage) — An anagram of designer Elliot Segal's nickname, "Mr. Toilet".[14]

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
looking at the vanity cards caused me to click on the Reserved List and be reminded of soooo many loving cards i had completely lost to the mists of drug use and time

like Mountain Titan. or Vodalian Knights. man. old Magic was a lot more interesting and weird than i generally remember through the lens of "cards that lived on"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh phew.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Congratulations… you crewed yourself.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Lord_Magmar posted:

sure that makes sense

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thinking on it, if the vehicles and reconfigure cards from this set catch on at all, control is going to be a in a rough place since they put aggro in a good position to quickly recover from sweepers and the like, right?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Nastier Nate posted:

sure that makes sense

The idea is that before, if you had somehow animated a vehicle into an artifact creature, you could then tap it to crew itself (this is rather silly). That's the specific edge case they're changing, and they're doing so because this set has vehicles which have abilities that activate when they are crewed (specifically one of which crews/animates a second vehicle I forget which). They're just removing self-crewing for a combination of it being a weird thing in general thematically, and the effects it might have had on the vehicles in the new Kamigawa set.

You can however, still have a crewed vehicle that is treated as a creature, on an animated vehicle treated as a creature, tap to get inside another vehicle and crew that vehicle. Which is still moderately silly but at least doesn't involve unintuitive edge case design.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thinking on it, if the vehicles and reconfigure cards from this set catch on at all, control is going to be a in a rough place since they put aggro in a good position to quickly recover from sweepers and the like, right?
The trade off for Vehicles is that they're more susceptible to instant speed spot removal than regular creatures. If your opponent hits a crewed Vehicle with a Doom Blade or whatever, then in addition to 1 for 1'ing you, you've also given up either a tempo advantage (by tapping down potential attackers) or a life advantage (by tapping down potential blockers).

There's a ton of that floating around in Standard, so I don't see it being an issue. In Limited? Yeah, probably. You're going to have to prioritize blowing up your opponent's toys individually.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
WOTC has hosed up standard so much that they banned THREE CARDS and the arena ladder at plat and mythic is the same exact decks as it was before lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
until they ban core components of mono-white or mono-green aggro I don't expect either of those to ever get reduced in numbers, and it will never happen, they're never going to ban thalia or brutal cathar or elite spellbinder etc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

the afr man lands are like vehicles you can play for free that crew themselves

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think standard is fine?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they also tend to factor in things like 'there's a set dropping very soon' to their ban choices and from what I saw on the PPR i'm definitely expecting a bit of a shakeup when it lands on thursday

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

until they ban core components of mono-white or mono-green aggro I don't expect either of those to ever get reduced in numbers, and it will never happen, they're never going to ban thalia or brutal cathar or elite spellbinder etc

I haven't played standard in a quick minute so can't comment on what would need to be banned but this is pretty funny considering it looks like mono-W is getting a lot of cool, new shiny toys in Neon Kamigawa.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

WOTC has hosed up standard so much that they banned THREE CARDS and the arena ladder at plat and mythic is the same exact decks as it was before lol

i mean how many people are going to really start creating seriously new decks based on some bans when a new set is dropping in two weeks

you take your pet deck and just try to make it still work and futz around for two weeks instead of brewing something entirely new

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

i mean how many people are going to really start creating seriously new decks based on some bans when a new set is dropping in two weeks

you take your pet deck and just try to make it still work and futz around for two weeks instead of brewing something entirely new

Nah this isn't right. The volume of games being played on arena is so large that if there were other viable decks, people would find them. I'm sure people are trying to make new stuff, the format is just stale and bad. Hopefully the new set shakes things up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a scale thing. there's absolutely people brewing new decks, you're just not going to see the entire metagame turn over in two weeks based off of three cards getting banned (two from one archetype and one because it was a near-autoinclude good against the former archetype) especially when everyone's energies (and budgets) are focused on the new cards

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Nah this isn't right. The volume of games being played on arena is so large that if there were other viable decks, people would find them. I'm sure people are trying to make new stuff, the format is just stale and bad. Hopefully the new set shakes things up.

you're not asking has anyone found a new deck

you are asking have people found that new deck, all the people who netdecked a good deck that ate a ban found their new deck, and decided to burn wildcards to make it with a new set two weeks away

i have an izzet dragon deck that used epiphany before. i have switched to playing historic instead of trying to tweak it, even though im sure someone somewhere came up with a new deck im not even gonna bother to look for it right now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ayyy lmao

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mcmagic posted:

Who do you think is going to bother tweaking a deck for a format that is going to change in 5 days?

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i think the blood on the snow treasure decks are well positioned right now

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

mcmagic posted:

the volume of games being played on Arena is so large that if such a new deck did exist you probably wouldn't run into it. the people who play arena are beholden to its incentive structure.

i also just started playing my old, release era Embercleave/Torbran knights historic deck. still

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's the economy: there's no way I'm getting back my wildcards with a new set in two weeks. So I'm going to play with what I've got until then.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Toshimo posted:

Ayyy lmao

This is the secret lair extra life bonus card I presume.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lord_Magmar posted:

Game is worse now. Fantastic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/1490433108495114241?s=20&t=iQ0CYTnXDF9cvTqs7M762g

okay cedric you finally made it to Denver after 3 months or whatever. can you make A new resleevables with Patrick now please?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

wait i thought you were joking the first time, are you genuinely upset

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Anybody get shipping notifications for their Secret Lair October, MSCHF, or Extra Life stuff yet?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Reynold posted:

Anybody get shipping notifications for their Secret Lair October, MSCHF, or Extra Life stuff yet?

Not yet. I've been debited for both MSCHF and Extra Life though so hopefully they'll be shipped out soon? It feels like some people have already got theirs.

Pretty sure I heard some stuff from the October superdrop was getting delayed though.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Explain with concrete examples what amazing plays we lose by not being able to tap down already animated vehicles to animate them again. It's never going outweigh the upside of changing it. I hate this grognard poo poo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magic Underwear posted:

Explain with concrete examples what amazing plays we lose by not being able to tap down already animated vehicles to animate them again. It's never going outweigh the upside of changing it. I hate this grognard poo poo.

What's the upside of not allowing it? Ah, whoops, just read Mobilizer Mech. Carry on, then :tipshat:

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 7, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Magic Underwear posted:

I mean didn't they literally make this rules change BECAUSE of the vehicles coming out in NEO that could possibly be double-activated that way to cause multiple activation triggers? so I think it's a fine preventative measure

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Reynold posted:

I JUST got my Phyrexian secret lair I ordered in July.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Is the rules change a vehicle cannot crew itself, or that you can’t crew an already crewed vehicle?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Is the rules change a vehicle cannot crew itself, or that you can’t crew an already crewed vehicle?

The former

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Corner cases and tricky interactions are the most fun part of Magic IMO. Always sucks to see another one removed.

kalel posted:

https://twitter.com/CedricAPhillips/status/1490433108495114241?s=20&t=iQ0CYTnXDF9cvTqs7M762g

okay cedric you finally made it to Denver after 3 months or whatever. can you make A new resleevables with Patrick now please?

Seriously, I’m dying here.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean didn't they literally make this rules change BECAUSE of the vehicles coming out in NEO that could possibly be double-activated that way to cause multiple activation triggers? so I think it's a fine preventative measure

The real reason for the change is so you can't throw a game by clicking a vehicle twice, tapping it down for no reason. It's a tiny change to the game to make it play better on arena.

evilweasel posted:

Crew now requires you to tap OTHER creatures, so the first thing you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

Crew now requires you to tap OTHER creatures, so the first thing you said.

thanks. so if you want to randomly recrew a vehicle you can still do it, i guess (for those upon crewing bonuses, or just to tap arbitrary creatures). that does make it seem like the real issue is getting around dumbos like me getting upset on arena because of a misclick.