Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Astral Chain that good?!

It's platinumgames best work so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

batteries! posted:

There's nothing to "shut down", Tinfoil is a client and there's nothing Nintendo can do to block it.
Well there's the entirety of tinfoil.io, which is the backend that Tinfoil (the client) uses for it's one-click piracy.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Heads up y'all that the Target B2G1 free deal applies to Nintendo first party titles this time. So if you're in the US you can get Arceus or anything else recent for $40 or less. As usual if you don't actually want three games you can place an order for three and cancel any individual items for a prorated discount on the rest. Also eShop cards.

Edit: Regrettably not preorders.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well there's the entirety of tinfoil.io, which is the backend that Tinfoil (the client) uses for it's one-click piracy.

Games are hosted on servers elsewhere. Taking down the tinfoil backend website means they just get another one and point to that instead.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The sources for Tinfoil are configured locally, and most of the public stores are google drive folders. Tinfoil.io isn't a backend to anything.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

The real lesson here is that relying on Youtube for stuff like this is scrub tier and people need to learn how to pirate poo poo properly if they want to hear the menu music from Mario Party 3 on a ten hour loop for some reason.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you pirate a nintendo game or listen to nintendo's copyrighted music on youtube then i hope that miyamoto personally sets your house on fire and repossesses your switch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What did your friend do that got his switch completely banned?

Piracy I believe.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
TIL tinfoil.io is more than the site I check every couple days to figure out which of my games has an update they don't tell me about

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dont gently caress with nintendo

https://i.imgur.com/SyDlD1t.mp4

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sad Panda posted:

Games are hosted on servers elsewhere. Taking down the tinfoil backend website means they just get another one and point to that instead.
"Games are hosed elsewhere" hasn't stopped Nintendo in the past from prosecuting folks who make flash carts, mod chips, RCM dongles, etc. Isonews didn't escape the "we're not hosting!" argument either. And sure, something would probably replace tinfoil.io, but again I'm still surprised they haven't taken action against the people who are blatantly enabling piracy, cheats, etc.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
There's a new Nintendo piracy switch site I haven't heard of?? drat thank you thread for the heads up, sounds bad rear end

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
question about nintendo switch online and shared consoles:

my roommate's been playing my digital copy of pokemon legends on my switch, using her nintendo account added to the users on my switch. if she gets nintendo switch online to do mystery gifts or whatever, will the online work fine on both my switch and hers? i want to make sure nintendo doesn't have some secret rule like "you can only play online on your Primary Console" or whatever

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It is a fairly comprehensive site, they put in a lot of effort.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i'm gonna kill nintendo

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

i'm gonna kill nintendo

Who do you think you are, Stadia?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I don't really have anything against blawar.

I do

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yikes

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yup. blawar is a piece of poo poo.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

isn't that the same guy who was putting DRM in all his homebrew software

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Oh man. I thought he was just opinionated about emuMMCs not actually a chud.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Augus posted:

isn't that the same guy who was putting DRM in all his homebrew software

paranoid and spiteful homebrew software developers ftw

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

glassyalabolas posted:

Target is doing a B2G1 sale. Includes Arceus so I picked that up with NMH3 and Superstars.

Thanks for this, picked up Pokémon Diamond, Breath of the Wild, and Pikmin. Gonna play my first ever pokémon game :neckbeard:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh hell naw is that a built in homophobic tooltip? loving nerd rear end chuds

I guess my interest in the new piracy site just evaporated, back to not playing the games I wasn't gonna buy anyways

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tired Moritz posted:

Well, I decided to give myself a little treat tomorrow. What should I get? Xenoblade, Astral Chain or Pokemon Legends Arceus. Hoping for something that doesnt require me to shill out for an online pass or might possibly get ported to pc.

Get Pokemon Legends Arceus if you like Pokemon even a little. If you like Pokemon a lot you should have already bought it

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

https://twitter.com/cowise/status/1490437587537780742?s=21

Time to pick up the next one when it goes on sale. There’s nothing more zen than knocking out a puzzle or two in bed before the melatonin kicks in.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Agrias120 posted:

https://twitter.com/cowise/status/1490437587537780742?s=21

Time to pick up the next one when it goes on sale. There’s nothing more zen than knocking out a puzzle or two in bed before the melatonin kicks in.

Definitely. Though is Mega Picross just the same puzzles but with different clues? Cause if so I may skip them for now until I finish the whole series.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Definitely. Though is Mega Picross just the same puzzles but with different clues? Cause if so I may skip them for now until I finish the whole series.

Yeah, that’s my understanding. I don’t really enjoy Mega Picross, so I’m just going to skip them all for now. It seems like for a lot of people you transition from not liking Mega Picross to loving it at some point on your Picross journey, so hopefully that happens for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm working my way through S3 at the moment and finally got to color Picross. I'm really enjoying it. It's working completely different parts of the brain than the standard puzzles that I basically sleepwalk through these days.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So I'm real loving awful at Mario Kart 8 online (consistently place in the bottom 3) and I'm not sure how to suck less. I thought it was my kart build but I tried following some kart build "meta" videos and it didn't help at all, which makes me think the problem is me and not the kart.

Following the meta also feels somewhat un-fun, I'd love to play as my homeboy Koopa Troopa because I love that guy and he was my go-to in the OG Mario Kart on the SNES, but if that's untenable then I guess I'll sideline him.

Please help me not be poo poo at this otherwise really cool and fun game. I don't care if I'm in first place or even in the top three, but being in the bottom 3 feels real bad, man. :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yesterday I got beaten at MK8 by a 7 year old, that's just how it goes sometimes.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Xenomrph posted:

So I'm real loving awful at Mario Kart 8 online (consistently place in the bottom 3) and I'm not sure how to suck less. I thought it was my kart build but I tried following some kart build "meta" videos and it didn't help at all, which makes me think the problem is me and not the kart.

Following the meta also feels somewhat un-fun, I'd love to play as my homeboy Koopa Troopa because I love that guy and he was my go-to in the OG Mario Kart on the SNES, but if that's untenable then I guess I'll sideline him.

Please help me not be poo poo at this otherwise really cool and fun game. I don't care if I'm in first place or even in the top three, but being in the bottom 3 feels real bad, man. :smith:

You need to master snaking.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

Take advantage of every boost opportunity. Powerslide into mini boosts constantly. You can also do tricks off of every little ramp for even more boost. Doing these will completely change your Mario Karting experience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KingSlime posted:

Oh hell naw is that a built in homophobic tooltip? loving nerd rear end chuds

I guess my interest in the new piracy site just evaporated, back to not playing the games I wasn't gonna buy anyways

It turns out the best way to stop piracy is to have the providers be complete pieces of poo poo, who knew?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Agrias120 posted:

Yeah, that’s my understanding. I don’t really enjoy Mega Picross, so I’m just going to skip them all for now. It seems like for a lot of people you transition from not liking Mega Picross to loving it at some point on your Picross journey, so hopefully that happens for me.

I think I'd like them if I gave myself the chance to really get into the new rule-set and having 7 packs of puzzles of just that should do it, especially once the images are fresh again.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Your build matters only up to a point online, since most people aren't perfect racers using perfect builds either, so you can use whoever you want (I use Daisy or Baby Daisy). What's important is finding a comfortable balance with these stats:
• Speed to maximize top speed
• Acceleration for bigger speed boosts + recovering from errors or items
• Handling to make turns easier to handle.

You also have to just play enough to learn the tracks. First find a line that's comfortable to follow on the track and just try to follow it every time on every lap. You want to prioritize getting items over cutting corners. Collect coins as you need them. Each coin gives you a tiny speed boost, but also increases your top speed up to 10. You lose coins if you get hit dropping your top speed.

On drifting, you almost always want to start drifting early. This gives you more control over the turn while improving your ability to get a mini turbo, which you should be doing at every available opportunity.

Once you're comfortable with that, learn shortcuts that you can take using a mushroom or star. Some of these will also be possible in 150cc or 200cc without an item. A lot of these shortcuts are risky, though. So be careful about which ones you choose. If you have a bullet bill, you can drive in the direction of a risky shortcut and fire off the bullet bill and it will take you through the rest of it.

Also the game defaults with some of the following options turned on, so make sure these are off just in case: tilt controls, auto accelerate, and smart steering.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Xenomrph posted:

Any character is viable, just make sure you're picking a cart/wheel combo that prioritizes acceleration and handling. And learn how to drift. Always be drifting.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Woah.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i started enjoying mega picross over normal picross because the big clues more often made me have to think to figure stuff out, while i was doing the normal ones mostly mechanically. not that i didn't enjoy the normal ones too but it's different.

anyway i've had a long break from picross in general but i think i might dive back in soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

glassyalabolas posted:

Target is doing a B2G1 sale. Includes Arceus so I picked that up with NMH3 and Superstars.

Good sale, though I took a peek and realized for the first time in a long time that... I'm good. I already own all of the choice titles and have plenty to play as it is.

What a weird feeling. It really is a great time to be a gamer.