Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name? EXCUSE ME if i wanted people to know my name I'd stay at home with my family. This show is nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Also: the OP said she is "a member of a group that convenes monthly to discuss current events." Like, you need a scheduled monthly thing to do that and you can't just shitpost about how stupid congress is on your Slack group like everyone else? Is it just me or does this just sound awkward and weird? It just makes me picture a bunch of neo-lib dorks who never stopped playacting their Model UN or Debate Team from high school. I dunno.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the restaurant manager is simply being italian. to be offended and angry is in fact anti-italian discrimination.

Chapo Trap House once did an hilarious Call of Cthulhu campaign where 1920s WASPs investigate a conspiracy in the back of an new and exotic southern European restaurant and keep taking psychic damage from the sights, smells and tastes of this mysterious "Pizitza." It's all I could think of while reading that one.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 6, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Railing Kill posted:

Also: the OP said she is "a member of a group that convenes monthly to discuss current events." Like, you need a scheduled monthly thing to do that and you can't just shitpost about how stupid congress is on your Slack group like everyone else? Is it just me or does this just sound awkward and weird? It just makes me picture a bunch of neo-lib dorks who never stopped playacting their Model UN or Debate Team from high school. I dunno.

Maybe it's the one Coffee Party meeting that stuck around

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Brawnfire posted:

Can you imagine this from the recommender's perspective? You have a great rapport with an awesome pizza place, you and your friends get free food and drinks,

And one time you invite someone who just pisses all the gently caress over it, like it's garbage, and will possibly ruin it for you. I would put a thumb through their eye and yeet them down the street like a bowling ball.

This actually happened years ago with my mother-in-law. We were still living on Long Island and there was a great pizza place nearby that we went to often enough that we knew everyone's name, we wouldn't be charged for drinks, they'd include extra stuff with a delivery, etc. One day we decided to go there for dinner with my spouse's mother, stepfather, older brother and his partner, and younger brother. Everything was great. They even brought out a couple plates of focaccia for the table and complimentary tiramisu for dessert. And then the bill came, which my mother-in-law decided to take so she could pay for everyone. There was a $1.00 service fee included that she noticed, and the server couldn't explain what it was when asked. She then berated the guy, asking how he couldn't know where this extra charge came from, and if this is the sort of thing they do to customers all the time. The manager came over and tried to explain that it was a mistake and he'll gladly take the dollar off the bill. She told him that it shouldn't have happened in the first place. He came back with the revised check, apologized again, and told her to have a nice night. She replied "Too late" and we never went back to that pizza place again until we moved away.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God drat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for getting a 26yo woman from a 25 and under support group?
I know that everything on that sub is fake but I'd like to nail this person to the wall. Holy gently caress the sterility some folk want in support spaces so they feel maximum control is unreal. The reflexive sexism at the end is icing on the cake.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This actually happened years ago with my mother-in-law. We were still living on Long Island and there was a great pizza place nearby that we went to often enough that we knew everyone's name, we wouldn't be charged for drinks, they'd include extra stuff with a delivery, etc. One day we decided to go there for dinner with my spouse's mother, stepfather, older brother and his partner, and younger brother. Everything was great. They even brought out a couple plates of focaccia for the table and complimentary tiramisu for dessert. And then the bill came, which my mother-in-law decided to take so she could pay for everyone. There was a $1.00 service fee included that she noticed, and the server couldn't explain what it was when asked. She then berated the guy, asking how he couldn't know where this extra charge came from, and if this is the sort of thing they do to customers all the time. The manager came over and tried to explain that it was a mistake and he'll gladly take the dollar off the bill. She told him that it shouldn't have happened in the first place. He came back with the revised check, apologized again, and told her to have a nice night. She replied "Too late" and we never went back to that pizza place again until we moved away.

Biting the hand that literally feeds you.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Grape posted:

And with every garlicy word of his gross sex language that came out of his mouth.... came the gestures.
The hand motions.
He literally groped the atmosphere in front of him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Grape posted:

And with every garlicy word of his gross sex language that came out of his mouth.... came the gestures.
The hand motions.
He literally groped the atmosphere in front of him.

He made disgusting sexual noises like OOOH and AYYYY.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I hope you also never went anywhere with your mother-in-law again either.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Can I sue a teacher for possibly screwing me out of billions?

quote:

Back in 2005-2006 my elementary school was doing this competition where you had to come up with an idea for a business and these investor’s came in and voted on the best of each grade then put all those together and voted on best in the school, then best elementary in the district, then best in the state and if you won they invested so much into your idea and tried to see how far it can go.

(This was 5th grade by the way)

Well my teacher said “everyone might be allowed to participate but I’m gonna have to approve yours before you do so we don’t look like a bunch of idiots”

Well my teacher didn’t really care for me.

So at that time YouTube was starting and all the time people would try and search movies on there (I’m just gonna make a long story short and did the research on copyright and licensing and basically came up with the idea of Netflix)

Well I presented the idea to my teacher and she said “no one is gonna pay monthly for something they can only watch on their computer when blockbuster is a thing”

Well now as of writing this Netflix is worth $192.82 Billion

I found the assignment in an old box of school stuff I had with the teachers rejection written on it (yes she had a stamp that she put on work she rejected so kids couldn’t say “I turned it in and it’s not found”)

So yeah, can I sue for possibly being screwed over?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

i vomit kittens posted:

This is eerily similar to how my father insisted that he was the one to first come up with the idea of the George Foreman Grill.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This has been making the rounds in discord. It's been a while since this thread had a good brony laugh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

i vomit kittens posted:

How many people told this dipshit that streaming video was a thing since the 90s and that Netflix Streaming launched in 2007?

Cythereal posted:

This has been making the rounds in discord. It's been a while since this thread had a good brony laugh.

"So I took out my sword and I jumped on it, but I think it might have missed a few vital organs. Should I do it again? Feels like I should do it again."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

i vomit kittens posted:

lol, best comment, and very applicable to so many posts here:

quote:

I’m embarrassed you wrote and posted this question.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My [20F] boyfriend [20M] can't stop pretending to be British.

quote:

Our relationship is practically perfect. We're soul mates in every sense of the word, we've been together for a while now, discussing living together. But there's this one small thing that drives a wedge between us - my boyfriend just wants to be British, I guess?

It's been going on for so long now and it's getting annoying to an alarming degree. He went to the UK one time and never stops talking about pork pies and how all grocery stores are gross compared to Marks&Spencer (I thought it was a clothes store only??). He only makes Nigella Lawson recipes and looks down on my "americanized" versions of sausage. He's weirdly racist against Irish people and passes it off as a joke most of the time though.

Every time he sees a mention of a British thing, "Co.uk" on a website or reads the word "blimey" he starts reading it in British, although his accent is normally a version of a generic ESL speak, just like mine. Like I know it seems very small and a stupid thing to get mad at, but it's just so weird and "posh" and whatever. I feel awkward when it happens and especially in front of my parents. As an answer to this I started casually mentioning the "bri'ish people aren't real" memes and he actually stopped talking to me because he thinks I'm ridiculous and he's not doing anything strange.

I love him so much and I don't want this to be an issue at all, but it is. How do I go about telling him to stop doing this??

TL;DR: Boyfriend pretends to be British although he's not. I'm going loving insane. Please help

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

there's a discord? also lmfao

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

DemoneeHo posted:

Liking M&S over Waitrose? loving jumped up little pseud with ideas above his station

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

DemoneeHo posted:

Drippini boyfriend's hands and ears itch and he doesn't know why. Mamma mia!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mind the walrus posted:

How many people told this dipshit that streaming video was a thing since the 90s and that Netflix Streaming launched in 2007?

"So I took out my sword and I jumped on it, but I think it might have missed a few vital organs. Should I do it again? Feels like I should do it again."

That wasn't even the brony one I meant to link. :v:

TheWeedNumber posted:

there's a discord? also lmfao

No idea if there's one for this thread specifically but making fun of redditors is a hobby in multiple goon discords.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Olive Branch posted:

Get all these folks together for some kind of model UN

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cythereal posted:

The F Plus - My Little Podcast: Fandom is Tragic

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

No idea if there's one for this thread specifically but making fun of redditors is a hobby in multiple goon discords.

I lost track of most of the goon discords when GDN died

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DemoneeHo posted:

girlfriend thinks i'm australian. otherwise perfect. what do i do?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Olive Branch posted:

Oi, Mum, just gonna rock up to the fuckin' dripper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hobnob posted:

Oi, Mum, just gonna rock up to the fuckin' dripper.

Crikey, mate, I've just got back from walkabout in the Outback, and I need a turn in the bloody drippo! strewth

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And now, for something completely different (OR IS IT?!)
AITA for hiding my girlfriend's heels before going to my sister's wedding?

As someone who's relatively tall and usually doesn't even notice if a dude is short I find this really sad. Seriously: I have a cousin who's taller than her husband, and I never thought about it until my grandmother took me aside and whispered "Don't you think it's odd when a woman is taller than the man she's with?" and I was like "What? No? Who cares?"

Sucks to blow up your life over something that most people don't think or care about, but as I understand it a lot of short guys have gone through a *lot* of bullying, so I see how it happens.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DemoneeHo posted:

quote:

He's weirdly racist against Irish people and passes it off as a joke most of the time though.

Idk why but this little part is killing me

Like this dude is all in on faking being British

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I learned about toulous from your post, that's a pretty interesting concept and execution.

Me too. Wikipedia says that there was one in King Fu Hustle was one (was it the apartment building?). I'd live in one.

If anyone is near/visiting Massachusetts, check out the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem (NOT the Peabody Museum in Boston. Two different things). It has a Chinese house built in the late 1700s that was dismantled, packed up, brought to Massachusetts, and reassembled outside the museum- not a toulou, but a communal house for a large extended family. Immensely cool. I'm very jealous of all the kids who live nearby and got to go there on a school trip

Barudak posted:

As if it would be square. What self respecting 老大 would be caught in a square one, probably some northerner.

I have a relative who effectively built one in their hometown in a decently bustling area for family and his personal friends and their families. It is an absolute maze of rural chinese concrete construction and everytime he's like do you want to inherit it I have to ponder if growing a long beard and getting good with a guandao is still feasible in my lifetime.
Home ownership plus an excuse to become awesome? I say go for it.

Midnight Voyager posted:

You sound like someone who's never seen a four year old in a non-childproofed environment. That's easily old enough to break stuff for no reason and jam things into sockets.

When some family members came by for Thanksgiving this past fall they brought a kid about a year old and, holy cow, he was into everything. Kids are great but once they start walking you cannot leave them alone.

It was pretty funny seeing him interact with my dad's cranky elderly cat who hasn't seen a non-adult human being in the past fifteen years.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

i vomit kittens posted:

Blockbuster tried to set up their own streaming service much earlier if I recall...

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Can you imagine this from the recommender's perspective? You have a great rapport with an awesome pizza place, you and your friends get free food and drinks,

And one time you invite someone who just pisses all the gently caress over it, like it's garbage, and will possibly ruin it for you. I would put a thumb through their eye and yeet them down the street like a bowling ball.

My dream in life is to experience that one time and then tell the server "I'm paying the whole bill. Your tip goes up 5 dollars every time you insult my friend here"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Funky Valentine posted:

He made disgusting sexual noises like OOOH and AYYYY.

They told us to fuh'geddaboutit but we could not :cthulhu:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

I appreciate the re-rail, but that's way toooo many at once. you gotta dole them out slowly so we can create specific derails for each one.

but thank u for your service

and holy hell that was like 30 pages ago. my bad. please carry on

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to pay my brother his money back?

But he absolutely did ask for him to give 12k????

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

trickybiscuits posted:

Me too. Wikipedia says that there was one in King Fu Hustle was one (was it the apartment building?). I'd live in one.

New Mulan had one.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Scags McDouglas posted:

My dream in life is to experience that one time and then tell the server "I'm paying the whole bill. Your tip goes up 5 dollars every time you insult my friend here"

I kinda hope I one day sit next to someone that does the “you lose a dollar bill every time you gently caress up” BS so I can slap down a few $5 bills and say my tip goes up by a fiver every time they take away a dollar

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AITA for trying to get my (40M) employee (24F) to do her job?

quote:

Hi all. I’m (40M) a senior designer of a very small company. I’ve been overwhelmed with work and about six months ago, we hired someone to be my junior. I’m not technically her “boss,” but as her senior, I basically act as a substitute for one.
I was a little suspicious of this girl (24F) because she seemed to have different experience than someone who would’ve wanted to apply for this role (she majored in UI/UX), but we had a lot in common and she seemed friendly. I used to work as a team lead for a game design studio and managed a bunch of younger employees who kind of saw me as a “team dad,” and she reminded me of the kids who used to work for me there. My last role was more competitive, but my wife is pregnant and I wanted to take an easier job to help her out with the pregnancy/baby.
I wanted to ease her into things, but apparently she had some training scheduled for UI/UX person during her “down time.” We don’t have “down time” here. I saw she had a meeting on her calendar with him for after work hours, so I told her she didn’t have my permission to do that. She said she had finished all the design work, but that’s only because I was shielding her from the harder work. I’m the one having to do the difficult projects and she’s not even a little thankful that I’m saving her from having to work weekends. I didn’t tell her do these tasks, but as an adult, it’s her job to take initiative and volunteer.
I’ve tried to look out for her best interests and be a friendly boss, but I also have to remind her that I’m in charge. During a meeting, when I was having a really horrific day (mostly because I was picking up work she should be doing + stress of my wife’s pregnancy), I snapped and called her a bitch. (Note that I’ve never called a woman this in my entire life—it wasn’t a gendered insult, that word just came out instead of something like “rear end in a top hat.”) She looked upset and ended the call without even saying bye. I know it was unprofessional of me, but I’ve been called much worse than that in previous jobs and I assumed she’d get over it. I was friendly with her via IM the rest of the day but she didn’t reply.
I got an email from HR saying that she had requested us (me, her, and HR) to meet about this “incident.” I’m not sure what to do. My wife is saying that calling her a bitch was crossing a line, even if she’s lazy and doesn’t want to do her job, and I can see that it wasn’t the right move. But going to HR seems way out of line. I know that I shouldn’t have insulted her, but I feel like overall, she’s consistently been the problem here. AITA?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lumpentroll posted:

"I don't understand. I'm a man in a position of authority, why am I being held accountable for my actions?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

lumpentroll posted:

I’m not technically her “boss,” but as her senior, I basically act as a substitute for one.

loving lol, didn't need to read anymore after that but

quote:

I didn’t tell her do these tasks, but as an adult, it’s her job to take initiative and volunteer.

made me laugh even harder. "Why is this employee not volunteering to do extra work no one has told her about? Clearly she's just lazy."

quote:

I’ve tried to look out for her best interests and be a friendly boss, but I also have to remind her that I’m in charge.

Lol. Just loving lol.