Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The only people delusional enough to think Biden is doing a great job are the same people whose lives weren't really affected at all by the Trump administration. Even my MSNBC watching, satellite radio listener dad thinks Biden hosed up Omicron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only people delusional enough to think Biden is doing a great job are the same people whose lives weren't really affected at all by the Trump administration. Even my MSNBC watching, satellite radio listener dad thinks Biden hosed up Omicron.

it's true, because to them the singlemost important issue in American society was "they have to see Trump on the TV", and it has been almost completely resolved by the Biden administration

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

it's true, because to them the singlemost important issue in American society was "they have to see Trump on the TV", and it has been almost completely resolved by the Biden administration

Which in turn is caused by a correct sense that the government is incapable of solving any actual problems, except ones of the form "there's several unexploded children in a 3rd world country"

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bored Online posted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bored Online posted:

can we make it happen sooner. say, maybe by next week?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ikanreed posted:

Which in turn is caused by a correct sense that the government is incapable of solving any actual problems, except ones of the form "there's several unexploded children in a 3rd world country"

they will bomb us if we dont bomb them first

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

imagine voting for Joe loving Biden. incredibly embarrassing poo poo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bored Online posted:

many people are saying this

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bored Online posted:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

"i don't care what the polls say"

very nice cognitive dissonance

please proceed governor

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Xaris posted:

can we make it happen sooner. say, maybe by next week?

i'm trying to manifest it - if we all do it together maybe we can strike into the heart of darkness

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Lastgirl posted:

"i don't care what the polls say"

very nice cognitive dissonance

please proceed governor

dems voted out: what are they going to do? not vote for us?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14e-5GN-DzI

vote.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the second time in the last 5 years for CA dems to kill a single payer bill. with a supermajority.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/barackobama/status/1261004586359422979

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are you unironically posting Jimmy Dore?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Fame Douglas posted:

Are you unironically posting Jimmy Dore?

Does it being from Jimmy Dore change the actual substance of what is being said?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ex post facho posted:

the second time in the last 5 years for CA dems to kill a single payer bill. with a supermajority.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Joementum had some good posts the other day on why California's never-ending UHC promises are just empty words:

Joementum posted:

single payer can't be done at the state level in the US (even in CA) (even if they actually wanted to do it, which they don't) so they should stop cynically promising to do it

Joementum posted:

a combination of reasons. first, under the ACA, the state needs to get a waiver from HHS to implement their own healthcare plan outside of ACA rules. granted, CA could probably get that from a Biden HHS run by a former CA attorney general.

the next issue is that the state would need to immediately take about a third of their population out of the insurance pool: the people covered by Medicare and Medicaid (and a much smaller pool of vets covered by Tricare). granted, those people tend to be less "desirable" to insure, but you're still losing a big clump of people. you'll also lose some of the insured population who work for large companies outside of the state which provide their own coverage.

but the really big hurdle is that medical insurance in the US is considered income unless paid for by a payroll tax. it would take an act of congress to change this. so if the state wants to implement its own system it must be funded by a payroll tax, which makes it almost impossible to make it progressive and means you're going to hit people with a 10-15% tax.

Joementum posted:

it's why vermont's single payer plan failed. the legislature actually passed it, the governor signed it, they set up a board to implement it, and they found out the only plan they could create would cover about a third of the state's population and require a 15% payroll tax, so it had to be shelved.

CA would have a bit of an easier time, but all the structural problems are still there and i just don't think it will ever happen even if you somehow got a state government full of democrats who wanted it to happen like VT (kind of, maybe) had. you're going to have to do it at the federal level.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Joementum had some good posts the other day on why California's never-ending UHC promises are just empty words:

good context. thanks. more evidence for why the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ex post facho posted:

they passed it twice over a decade ago

when there was a republican governor they knew would veto it lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022 because the democrats must be destroyed in 2022

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022 because they have been setting up their own destruction since 1980 if not earlier

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the parts I keep remembering of Listen, Liberal! is when he goes over all the fawning articles from pundits and intellectuals saying that "The Democratic party has finally abandonned the New Deal" like it's a good thing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ex post facho posted:

Didn't the governor kill the bill last time? I guess they're just running out of excuses now.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
last time in like 2017 it died in committee after a buncha public reporting and some big donations from pharma

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the parts I keep remembering of Listen, Liberal! is when he goes over all the fawning articles from pundits and intellectuals saying that "The Democratic party has finally abandonned the New Deal" like it's a good thing.

"Atari Democrats" lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/07/us/politics/jill-biden-free-community-college.html

quote:

Free Community College Is Off the Table, Jill Biden Says
In a speech on Monday, the first lady acknowledged that her signature legislative initiative is “no longer” in the Democrats’ spending bill.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lmao unfuckingbelieable

i mean it’s totally believable but still jesus loving christ

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the delta between the campaign promises and what's actually getting delivered has to be one of the largest for any administration, those approval numbers might crash to the low 30s before november

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

excuse me, that’s doctor jill biden thank you

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He's even tepid on meaningless executive actions and appointments (why is he renominating any Republicans when he doesn't have to)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pair this with the lib hagiography around Mike Pence refusing to do Trmpus coup and you can see that they're doubling-down on becoming the sensible conservative party

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

ex post facho posted:

the delta between the campaign promises and what's actually getting delivered has to be one of the largest for any administration, those approval numbers might crash to the low 30s before november
:actually: he promised to be a one term president. Ten Pinocchios!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

love to give rousing speeches explaining how useless i am

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ex post facho posted:

Wrong! According to politifact, actually, Biden had broke 0 promises!

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/biden-promise-tracker/?ruling=true

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

ex post facho posted:

He delivered on his most important promise: that nothing would fundamentally change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

promising hard, thank u!