Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

well her online handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

There was a page, I'm not sure but it MIGHT have been Live Journal, that long ago, where a woman basically just spat word salad about her 'naming' and 'writing' and 'producing' like, 99% of the world's music. She obviously had something going on in her head, but it was just such a charming long shaggy dog story about every single famous person ever and how she'd 'come up' with their names, something like that.

I remember she was VERY into Amy Lee and Evanescence, and also she had multiple pages written about the Beatles and Paul McCartney. Does anyone else remember this?

It looks like she deleted her blog a few years back, but there’s an archived version here.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am so glad you introduced me to this

The Real Amy Lee posted:

Mr. Blandings (Cary Grant) is an account executive in the advertising business. His latest ad campaign is for the fictional product “WHAM!”.

This is where I got the idea to name a group “WHAM!” who would record songs I made up.

I was asked to give the singers their stage names which was soon after I met George Lucas. I came up with the name “George Michael”, with Michael for Michael Hutchence and Michael Jackson. Hutch had already told me he was giving part of my writing credit for the INXS songs to Andrew Farriss, so I named another singer Andrew.

It was the film “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House” that inspired me to come up with the comedy The Money Pit (1986) starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long. The film was co-executive produced by Steven Spielberg.
I have never seen another piece of writing remind me so powerfully of the first piece of fiction I ever remember writing in Windows, where I decided to write up like 20 years of occurrences in this person's life and every single event connected seamlessly to every other event, and even at like age 11 I could tell this was bad

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am so glad you introduced me to this

I have never seen another piece of writing remind me so powerfully of the first piece of fiction I ever remember writing in Windows, where I decided to write up like 20 years of occurrences in this person's life and every single event connected seamlessly to every other event, and even at like age 11 I could tell this was bad

lol that movie is so good i stole it from OG netflix:

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

There was a page, I'm not sure but it MIGHT have been Live Journal, that long ago, where a woman basically just spat word salad about her 'naming' and 'writing' and 'producing' like, 99% of the world's music. She obviously had something going on in her head, but it was just such a charming long shaggy dog story about every single famous person ever and how she'd 'come up' with their names, something like that.

I remember she was VERY into Amy Lee and Evanescence, and also she had multiple pages written about the Beatles and Paul McCartney. Does anyone else remember this?

I think that's kind of common.

I have a mentally ill relative that thought the same thing in the 90's, and I found out later that he was constantly faxing song lyrics to local radio stations so they could 'relay them to Dave Matthews, Joan Osborne, etc. for their next albums'.

He never blogged, though.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

DoomLazer posted:

Was she the main focus of the film? Not a lot of geek to chic movies with a female lead that turns into a fish that I'm seeing. Do you remember if it was closer in tone to a Troma film or something like Species?

IIRC she was the main focus of it and it was like a Troma movie

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

shelley posted:

It looks like she deleted her blog a few years back, but there’s an archived version here.

This brings back so many memories.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Two things:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can someone post the old (parody?) webcomic with 'A beer for my superhero friend! *punch* I like my beer like I like my rap music - none at all'

NoneMoreNegative posted:

On the search for an ancient bit of music (didn't find it in the end but got further along in the search than I'd expected) - I was chasing some old awful one-man nerd metal, and this thread was of help

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3005662&userid=0&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=99#post415420166

but after hitting Archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20110225052446/http://www.theunhandledexceptions.com:80/

and digging the youtube link out of the page source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjj9TKDBoc

Curses, it's been made private! Also the zipfile int he 'Free Music Section' wasn't picked up by the Archive Bot.

Googling the guy who made the songs, he's still active on Twitter but seems to be some kind of chud-adjacent Politics Guy now :ohdear:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

I can tell you that first one is a parody of the short lived webcomic "powerchord", haven't seen the image in years though

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a hilarious party political broadcast the Tories did in the late 90s. It was this young married couple and the wife was sarcastically talking to the husband about Labour policies and then referring to tony blair as "your friend, tony blair" and the husband would just say "he's not my friend."

No idea how they thought it would make anybody want to vote for them, but it was comedy gold.

I've looked all over for it, but no luck.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

shelley posted:

That's it! Thank you very much!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

8 Ball posted:

Two things:

A short horror story set in an English village in the summer, a vicar’s daughter(?) meets what she thinks is an angel who takes her around the village and shows her what all the sinful adults have been doing (her mum cheating etc). I think the angel challenges her to find someone truly innocent and free of sin otherwise the world will be destroyed? I remember the description of the hot summers day quite vividly. Pretty sure it was from a collection of short stories that may or may not have also included The Veldt but I imagine published in the UK? Similar sort of disturbing horror vibe anyhow

Rachel and the angel by Robert Westall?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

yaffle posted:

He was prominent in the “yer mums a slag” genre wasn’t he.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I can tell you that first one is a parody of the short lived webcomic "powerchord", haven't seen the image in years though

:sickos: All you need to get a new line of inquiry started :cool:

(of course it was here all along: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3822798&pagenumber=465&perpage=40#post488024990 )

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

shelley posted:

“I liked the name Tesla and I was told about the inventor Nikola Tesla, the Electrical Engineer who immigrated to American to work with Thomas Edison. It was during this time I not only decided to name a band Tesla, but also the Australian band AC/DC. Both bands would record song I made up.”

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
An oddball catalog from the late 80s/early 90s. I suspect if I could find some old Hit Parader magazines or the like I'd probably find a mailing address in the back pages for something and be able to search the internet for it after that.

But I remember my brother used to get these catalogs every so often that would contain all I could probably refer to as 'Headbanger Supplies'. A huge focus on the 70s-early 90s metal scene of stuff, but there was some overlap with various pop, 60s, hippie, etc. material. I say this because I do recall stuff like Grateful Dead and Beatles merch in it. I'd say it would have to be from before 1992 because I don't recall much in the way of a grunge or rap content.

But it was a catalog that you could order your band posters, tiger tooth earrings, studded leather bracelets, rings with spikes on them, album cover denim jacket iron-ons, T-shirts, and other associated metal fandom supplies from.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

An oddball catalog from the late 80s/early 90s. I suspect if I could find some old Hit Parader magazines or the like I'd probably find a mailing address in the back pages for something and be able to search the internet for it after that.

But I remember my brother used to get these catalogs every so often that would contain all I could probably refer to as 'Headbanger Supplies'. A huge focus on the 70s-early 90s metal scene of stuff, but there was some overlap with various pop, 60s, hippie, etc. material. I say this because I do recall stuff like Grateful Dead and Beatles merch in it. I'd say it would have to be from before 1992 because I don't recall much in the way of a grunge or rap content.

But it was a catalog that you could order your band posters, tiger tooth earrings, studded leather bracelets, rings with spikes on them, album cover denim jacket iron-ons, T-shirts, and other associated metal fandom supplies from.
Where in the world was this? Sounds a whole lot like the German EMP. They've been around since '86 and this seems like exactly what they would have covered.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Where in the world was this? Sounds a whole lot like the German EMP. They've been around since '86 and this seems like exactly what they would have covered.

This was in the US. It's possible this was just a US arm of it or just a company doing the same thing.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

yaffle posted:

YES! Thank you! Another brain itch this thread has scratched :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

These were ridiculously common among the skaters I knew in the 90s. There were probably dozens of catalogues like this. If you want I can ask the guys I knew if they remember any of the names but there were so, so many of them.

They always had that really lovely paper feel inside, like the same kind they used in comic books.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

JediTalentAgent posted:

First thing that comes to mind is Rockabilia, they always had ads in metal edge, rip, and hit parader and they did make catalogs

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Seconding Rockabilia, their catalogs ruled. It was some warehouse outfit in the midwest that always had ads in the back of Rolling Stone and Thrasher to send away for a free catalog.

https://rockabilia.com/blogs/news/the-past-present-and-future-of-rockabilia

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat, I am so glad I did not know about Rockabilia. I already had enough random metal t-shirts just from buying every good one I saw at Hot Topic or Spencer's. I shudder to think about access to ALL OF THEM

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I'm going to have to go with Rockabilia being what I was thinking of, specifically because the eras match up, the midwest area matches up, the pulp-paper matches up, and that GnR image seems a bit familiar in some way.

Thanks bunch.

edit: I found a few more images of it on the companies Twitter. They're from the mid-90s but it has that same look/feel I was thinking of.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 5, 2022

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Never mind just found it

hallo spacedog fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 6, 2022

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
When I was really small, so approximately 1985-1988, there was a comedy show or special on I believe HBO that my parents were super-excited to watch. It was late for me (like 8 or 9 PM) and they were so psyched that they didn't even care I was up.

The only thing I can remember is that I am pretty sure it was HBO (this would be crazy if I remembered this properly), I am not sure how I remember that; possibly because it had curse words which was not allowed on regular TV.

Other than vaguely remembering it aired on HBO, the only other thing I can remember is a guy on the show walking down a busy street and stopping at a "Walk/Don't Walk" sign, like this:

except it said something bad, like "gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" or "GET BENT" or something like that.

So that's it. That's all I remember. An HBO show or special, mid 1980s, guy walking down the street near the beginning and the "don't walk" sign has curse words on it.

I want to find this for two reasons; 1) to see when it came out to see if my memory truly is impressive or did this come out when I was like 12 and I'm just a moron and 2) I would love to show it to my parents again.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My white whale is this ugly thing:

.... which appears to be a random internet image which became attached to the Chupacabra myth sometime around 2008 and has stuck ever since. I've already done a reverse image search which was a dead end:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've been trying to look into it and the earliest internet copies of that image I can find are from 2008, although that's not conclusive. Curiously, one of the very earliest images I could find seemed to be from a Japanese magazine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070920195100/http://ryou.blog2.petitmall.jp/blog-date-200703.html

..... which looks like it had the caption チュパカブラ which google translate says is Japanese for "chupacabra" so that doesn't help much!

The origins of the chupacabra itself are pretty well documented, I'm just trying to trying to find out where this particular photo came from. If you look closely it seems like it used to be covered in fur but the glue has failed and most of it has fallen off, I'm guessing it might be a random monster from an old theme park display or something from an old Halloween display.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am nearly positive I saw that attached to something in the Rotten.com/Boners.com era of shock sites, like a link to a guy claiming he found someone's journal and that stupid-rear end thing was the proof that the chupacabra was real. I mean it looks like a scan from a physical photo, suggesting it is from the 1990s or earlier originally (I seem to recall someone being 100% sure it was a statue at some closed park, back in the day, but that also sounds potentially like part of the SPOOKINESS)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

this reminds me of something more on the later end of this period (93ish) i've wondered about. i learned who bobby sands was via memorial merchandise sold in this catalog (magazine?) my mom got. iirc the description was fairly wordy. wondering what this was as this would've been kinda controversial obv and my mom has no idea

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Anyone find my white wale from the op

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blooster posted:

Anyone find my white wale from the op
I'll go look.

OK I found it.
https://youtu.be/SxQTKLOgJ-A?t=1503
From
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X3QfXfj5jjfl61Ds8gjsbO7XsXNP9FKV4aOBjliXSxg/
From
https://www.reddit.com/r/lostmedia/comments/lz7frq/scifi_channel_exposure_from_99_lost_to_99_found/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 8, 2022

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Where can I watch 2012’s movie masterpiece “Slumber Party Slaughter” ?

Which was reviews as “Honestly the worst movie I watched. Seems like a scam. I thought Ms. Chaney could do better than this. Truly embarrassing”

Which managed to bring shame unto the entire slumber party genre.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

HOLY gently caress. I'm not OP but I have been trying to find that episode off and on for YEARS, for his as well as my own sake. :aaaaa:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Teketeketeketeke posted:

HOLY gently caress. I'm not OP but I have been trying to find that episode off and on for YEARS, for his as well as my own sake. :aaaaa:
It's been five hours, I'm a bit worried I killed him.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh poo poo, Janeane Garofalo AND Merle/Yondu! Now I too am glad it is found

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Getting real worried about Blooster

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

blargh, never mind

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2022

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

When I was really small, so approximately 1985-1988, there was a comedy show or special on I believe HBO that my parents were super-excited to watch. It was late for me (like 8 or 9 PM) and they were so psyched that they didn't even care I was up.

The only thing I can remember is that I am pretty sure it was HBO (this would be crazy if I remembered this properly), I am not sure how I remember that; possibly because it had curse words which was not allowed on regular TV.

Other than vaguely remembering it aired on HBO,

except it said something bad, like
"gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat" or "GET BENT" or something like that.

So that's it. That's all I remember. An HBO show or special, mid 1980s, guy walking down the street near the beginning and the "don't walk" sign

This is very likely one of HBOs prototypical stand up specials, at random I chose Dennis Miller and I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9w9XTb9cZ8

But any gritty NYC comedy special could be correct, From Andrew dice clay to George Carlin.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

no pubes yet sorry posted:

This is very likely one of HBOs prototypical stand up specials, at random I chose Dennis Miller and I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9w9XTb9cZ8

But any gritty NYC comedy special could be correct, From Andrew dice clay to George Carlin.

Thanks so much. I don't think it was a stand up. It was like some sketch comedy show or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America
Apr 26, 2017

I don't have a link but HBO had a sketch show called 'Hard Core TV' in the late 90s that could be it. Definitely the same vibe.