Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Happiness Commando posted:

If you're all-in on Azure and looking for a 100% Azure shop for a Devops/SRE/Architecture role, it might make sense to break it down into the heavy hitters. Otherwise, I would just leave it as generic "Azure". I would not advise listing years of experience per thing, since that could cause some companies to pass you over in favor of someone with 5+ years of Azure Toothpick experience, even if you're a better candidate with only 3 years of Toothpick experience (plus 2 years each of Fork and Spoon experience). Put down just the names of the technologies youre confident about and be ready to talk them up.

Magnetic North posted:

I've got a question about the 'Skills' section of a resume for a software developer. I've seen some advice to not put too many skills on your resume (less than 15), as it makes it look like an eight grader trying to puff things up. Just put stuff you're pretty darn confident in. My problem is I spent the last two years working in different Azure technologies every few months, so I have some familiarity with a lot of things. Even if I stretched what I felt confident in, I don't know if going "Azure Fork, Azure Spoon, Azure Toothpick" is going to make the reader's eyes glaze over. I've seen strategies of listing things as levels of expertise but I don't want to do that because I'm an idiot and not an expert in anything. I might list concretely number of years of experience, but I feel that is going to feel kinda limp too since I only have 2+ years experience in anything that matters, since my previous job before this one was such a massive dead end for learning and growth.

How do I make this into a positive? Do I list the technologies anyway? Do I just put "X years Azure experience" and explain during the phone screen?

15 seems like a good upper limit. Agree with Happiness Commando. I put basically 0 weight as to the "amount" of skill in the skills section because I routinely get "Python Advanced/Expert" who are even worse than me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You can also adjust your resume based on what positions you're applying for.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Skills are mostly a way to boost your score in an ATS system for a better chance that a human being actually sees it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Lockback posted:

You can also adjust your resume based on what positions you're applying for.

Yeah, I normally do this, but I was re-writing it from scratch so I was trying to get a baseline, but I realized now after what Happiness Commando said that that isn't terribly necessary since I'll be redoing it most times. I'll just put them in a pile and try to make the skills jive with the keywords in the listing.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I'm still in the middle of typing out a first draft. How do I keep my resume from sounding like a grab bag of buzz words like some refrigerator magnet poetry kit from hell? I made the mistake of looking up action verbs, and I can't unsee it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Trickortreat posted:

I'm still in the middle of typing out a first draft. How do I keep my resume from sounding like a grab bag of buzz words like some refrigerator magnet poetry kit from hell?

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Serious answer is it depends on the position you're applying for and thus which buzzwords are the good ones. Best thing to do IMO is slap that thing together, redact it, and post it here for us to mercilessly tear to shredsprovide useful feedback.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

I'm still in the middle of typing out a first draft. How do I keep my resume from sounding like a grab bag of buzz words like some refrigerator magnet poetry kit from hell? I made the mistake of looking up action verbs, and I can't unsee it.

You revise it. Bang the thing out, come back with fresh eyes 1-2 days later and simplify it. Buzzwords are bad, use words that have a specific meaning in your field.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Which ones are the right ones is industry specific but buzzwords in your resume are great if you're trying to get it past the software and onto the desk of a human.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
A former supervisor recommended me to a law firm recruiter who has a good job opening. My ex-supervisor wrote a glowing recommendation to the recruiter, but she really took some liberties with my qualifications! Half of the things she said are lies/exaggerations.

Based on the job description I can probably do the job well, but I’m worried this over-the-top recommendation might bite me in the rear end. What should I do?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Be honest in the interview about your qualifications, you don’t need to back up their recommendation letter. The lateral market is stupid hot rn so if you’re 2+ years out with a passably okay law school and resume you’re gonna have multiple offers if you apply to several places.

That said it’s also just past January, so everyone who is bouncing now that they got their bonus is hunting.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

Be honest in the interview about your qualifications, you don’t need to back up their recommendation letter. The lateral market is stupid hot rn so if you’re 2+ years out with a passably okay law school and resume you’re gonna have multiple offers if you apply to several places.

That said it’s also just past January, so everyone who is bouncing now that they got their bonus is hunting.

Oh it’s an admin/research job, not JD stuff. I would jump off the building rather than go to law school.

Thanks for the advice

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ok so decided to finally go ahead and just put together a resume that I hope highlights things well and can be tailored for Product Management or TPM jobs at Tech companies.

I think my weaknesses are that I have trouble staying concise and also I feel like it is not specific enough to what I have worked on. One other thought is that my Certifications & Associations section is pretty weak, so I could augment that for skills if I needed to put more information somewhere.

Any thoughts on how to improve it, or feedback on my concerns above is appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R0NDVnKIUrgIrlC0QObTSe2tLYm2Sm/view?usp=sharing

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 7, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
As a director of product I would pass w/o additional offsetting information. Here is what I see:

"This person seems experienced, well organized, and can deliver their work. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they understand the difference between product and program management . At minimum s/he seems really execution/operationally focused with a gap in the other product areas"

-now- a lot (a lot) of companies really just want product in name program in duties. So you might do fine with other hiring managers. I'm going to assume that's not your target.

It's also hard sometimes to say on a resume "x was experience but I also understand y and z". I'm personally still trying to figure out that one too. Cover letter and referrals can help with that.

So my advice is try to bolster your bullets with more examples when you've created something, analyzed a problem or interviewed/studied a user or customer. Cut a bit of the operational or execution content to get there. Also, minor note: I would put education last unless it's a particularly impressive MBA. Just less interesting than your latest role as an experienced professional.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Crazyweasel posted:

Any thoughts on how to improve it, or feedback on my concerns above is appreciated!
Please Note: I'm not a hiring manager. I'm just a guy that has helped friends and coworkers write resumes, and has used the advice of this thread successfully in the past. Still, if anyone countermands me, just go with what they say instead.

Maybe you should consider de-emphasizing the education by putting it at the bottom and putting the professional experience at the top? That has to be much more important 9 years into your career than your time at Cheeseburger Stairs University, right? I also don't know if having specific honors of Manga Cum Laude or Valedictorian matter for someone so far in their career.

From a construction standpoint, the most important thing I can see is that you have mixed up tenses in your verbs. You have "Control" and "Execute" written in present tense mixed with "Minimized" and "Identified" written in the past tense. This makes it feel disorganized and harder to read. I would make them all past tense. It's a resume, not a job description.

Otherwise, your "action word" choices seem good except for a few: First one is "Proudly", which is an adverb, not a verb. I cannot imagine a hiring manager giving a single gently caress about how you felt about it. Just use "Led" or something, though you're already using that one and I like to not repeat myself if avoidable. Second one is "burnt down". It's a fine action word but if there is some dipshit HR intermediary drone that doesn't know the term "burndown chart" that may confuse them. (I'm sure someone will say every hiring manger will know what that means, but I have met some truly stupid sponges working in HR in my time.) Maybe switch it with "Reduced" or "Completed" or something more generic and then refer to the burndown chart in the body as a noun? If you really like it that way, then I guess you can keep it since it's not too bad, but I don't like it. The final one is "Proactively" which is less bad than "Proudly", but still not great. Make it an action phrase with something like "Developed a Proactive Chocolate Something Something"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This looks like a pretty good TPM resume but a pretty bad product manager resume. I'd go beyond what Xguard said and maybe think of this less as "tailor for a product management role" and more towards "two different resumes". In particular most product roles will want way more defining deliverables, discovery, identifying business opportunities and influencing engineering. Some of your bullets cover that but they are kinda lost.

For TPM this is pretty good and my only advice would be
-Move education down with certs.
-maybe cut back on QA and Product test lead descriptions. List them (they're good) but you might not need the details.
-related to above, can you get this to 1 page? Not needed but if you can it might read better. I don't think 2 pages is hurting you but might be worth a try.

In general for a TPM I think it's very strong.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Re Lockback's point:

did you mean technical program or product manager?

Because I assumed you were saying product. If not then 100% two different resumes and I agree it's strong for program.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Re Lockback's point:

did you mean technical program or product manager?

Because I assumed you were saying product. If not then 100% two different resumes and I agree it's strong for program.

I mean, it's a really good technical program manager and a pretty weak product manager resume. But there's some stuff in there that kinda sorta is good for product manager but it's hard to parse out.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

Not a hiring manager or recruiter, but I was under the impression that absolutely any resume with a typo will be dumpstered.

I get resumes that recruiting agencies have reformatted onto their template and I've caught them adding typos due to their sloppiness. So I no longer hold typos against candidates because who knows if it was the candidate or the agency that made the mistake. So ridiculous.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thanks for all the feedback! I’ll fix the grammar stuff, thanks for catching. I have a hard time with finding the right verbs.

I meant a resume that I could morph to both Tech. Prog. Manager and Product Manager. My goal here was to get something out for feedback that I thought captured my main highlights because I’d already been tweaking it for too long by myself.

I’m definitely interested in a transition to (Technical) Product Management, but I’m not sure how successful I’ll be with my experience to date so an option may be to jump over as a Technical Program Manager in the industry first. I feel like there are aspects of my TProgM job that roll into ProdMgr, but based on feedback here it looks like maybe it doesn’t, or I didn’t emphasize it enough.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 7, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm with xguard86 (speaking also as a director of product, who has been on a hiring spree the past few months), that's not a resume tailored towards moving into product management. It's great for. TPgM role, and some of your bullets could be altered to better reflect skills needed for a PM. For example:

quote:

Minimized technical risk on a see-through, augmented reality system by pursuing dozens of
engagements with end users and translating feedback to the development team

This reads like something a TPgM would do, but is also transferrable to Product; it shows you can showcase empathy towards users, identify pain points, clearly articulate requirements and translate them to the rest of the product development team. Write something closer to the latter vs. the former, and you might get some more interest.

Also, "Identified $10M in new revenue...."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

To add:

There's def some decent product manager stuff in there. But I felt like it wasn't at the top of the trophy case, so to speak. Adding to my feeling that I was looking at a program manager who could work with product or maybe transition eventually. Versus "this is a product manager".

I made that transition from program management or more operationally product roles into full PM and you really have to reframe how you present yourself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, career path I suspect if you want to get into Product Management is to find a role where you can move internally. That's probably easier to say than actually do but that is probably the most well trod path from where you are to there.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Is there a limit to the amount of bullet points per job? I'm transitioning from healthcare to IT, and trying to make myself marketable to entry level jobs in QA or customer success manager. Or anywhere that will take me, really.

I used to work as a street vendor to get through grad school, but I don't think that counts for much of anything. Maybe I should add it if I'm applying to startups? Could be an interesting conversation starter, but I'm applying for jobs, not making new friends.

I have done some fill in work for my parent's mom and pop store for most of my life, but isn't that a bit tacky? The work I do for them involves contacting customers to handle refunds and complaints, bounced checks etc etc etc.

One of the perks of being a part of a smaller clinic was being able to wear all kinds of different hats. Our patient count needed improving so I created a website and hired someone to do SEO. I was the one who handled all new employee training (trained a total of five people so nothing too crazy but still worth mentioning?). I was the clinic liaison and drove out to other clinics (yes I had a gift basket). Is that worth a mention?

But all in all, I am looking at a massive list of duties. What I keep? What do I throw out? I have made a numbered list and it's getting close to eight. Is that too much? I could always pare down the list and add a section about my hobbies like YouTube recommends.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i do not give one gently caress about your hobbies

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't mind a 1 liner about you for entry-level. It's nice to see people are humans and not just machines that make widgets. Don't dedicate much space there though, 1 sentence unless it's maybe industry or charity leadership that you really think carries water.

Leave off or don't go into detail on street vendor or retail clerking.

Don't describe a job, so 1 line about the core activities is enough. Use the rest of the realestate to go into interesting projects or accomplishments. For QA, lean on tech and documentation stuff. For CS, lean into documentation (again), project management and communication. I would recommend a different resume for each of those verticals.

8 sounds a lotish but 4-6 is ok if its your main "draw" on your resume.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trickortreat posted:

Is there a limit to the amount of bullet points per job? I'm transitioning from healthcare to IT, and trying to make myself marketable to entry level jobs in QA or customer success manager. Or anywhere that will take me, really.

I used to work as a street vendor to get through grad school, but I don't think that counts for much of anything. Maybe I should add it if I'm applying to startups? Could be an interesting conversation starter, but I'm applying for jobs, not making new friends.

I have done some fill in work for my parent's mom and pop store for most of my life, but isn't that a bit tacky? The work I do for them involves contacting customers to handle refunds and complaints, bounced checks etc etc etc.

One of the perks of being a part of a smaller clinic was being able to wear all kinds of different hats. Our patient count needed improving so I created a website and hired someone to do SEO. I was the one who handled all new employee training (trained a total of five people so nothing too crazy but still worth mentioning?). I was the clinic liaison and drove out to other clinics (yes I had a gift basket). Is that worth a mention?

But all in all, I am looking at a massive list of duties. What I keep? What do I throw out? I have made a numbered list and it's getting close to eight. Is that too much? I could always pare down the list and add a section about my hobbies like YouTube recommends.

• Street vendor - developed and grew independent business to support graduate education
  • Clinic work - personally designed and implemented online presence for [type of clinic] to grow monthly visits [from x to y, if you have that approximate data]
  • Training people - Placed in leadership role to personally facilitate all training and orientation of new staff
  • Liaison - cultivated professional relationships with other local businesses sharing market sector

I actually just moved from healthcare to pseudo IT (informatics) so it's funny to run into someone going the same way.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm giving this another try since I graduated. I'm an Economics major who is looking for an analyst position but my experience is in soft non-profit fields. I feel like I do have good skills, I just have no idea how to express that. I know that you're supposed to stuff your resume with keywords but I have no idea how to do it naturally without putting more keywords in my skills section.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're a recent grad you should probably put your GPA assuming it isn't tragic. This is a recent grad resume that would at least probably get you a phone screen at a boutique consulting firm assuming that your GPA is solid and your undergraduate institution is good.

I'd get a little more active if you can and describe what some of the outcomes were. Some of your bullets read "I was there" and don't have a lot of action or passion. You want your bullets to show you either making something for a useful purpose or driving change.
  • Current job: DEI is hot so if you can talk about the actual direction of the organization and what you did on leadership council that would be good. What did the leadership council actually do?
  • When I account for your hours in your current job it sure seems like you worked for a few hours a month. If that wasn't the case, what else occupied your time? If it was part-time, mark as such.
  • What is the purpose of those affinity group meetings? What positive outcomes result from them?
  • Americorps - any kind of quantitative measures like size of school, size of student population, etc would at least help a bit.
  • Third job, first bullet. What did the report do? Who was the intended audience? Was it published? You mashed a bunch of words together that mean nothing. You authored the report, not create.
  • Third job, second bullet. Clean up language. You didn't do something to fulfil goal of X, you did something to do X. What was the result? It sounds like you published a bunch of memos and nothing happened. If that's the case, try to get more creative

Simplify your language around the leadership award. I'd be inclined to put this in a section called honors or something similar as I don't see any evidence of leadership from what you have written.
as a recent grad, a hobbies / interest section is less frowned upon than for later career professionals.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're a recent grad you should probably put your GPA assuming it isn't tragic. This is a recent grad resume that would at least probably get you a phone screen at a boutique consulting firm assuming that your GPA is solid and your undergraduate institution is good.

I'd get a little more active if you can and describe what some of the outcomes were. Some of your bullets read "I was there" and don't have a lot of action or passion. You want your bullets to show you either making something for a useful purpose or driving change.
  • Current job: DEI is hot so if you can talk about the actual direction of the organization and what you did on leadership council that would be good. What did the leadership council actually do?
  • When I account for your hours in your current job it sure seems like you worked for a few hours a month. If that wasn't the case, what else occupied your time? If it was part-time, mark as such.
  • What is the purpose of those affinity group meetings? What positive outcomes result from them?
  • Americorps - any kind of quantitative measures like size of school, size of student population, etc would at least help a bit.
  • Third job, first bullet. What did the report do? Who was the intended audience? Was it published? You mashed a bunch of words together that mean nothing. You authored the report, not create.
  • Third job, second bullet. Clean up language. You didn't do something to fulfil goal of X, you did something to do X. What was the result? It sounds like you published a bunch of memos and nothing happened. If that's the case, try to get more creative

Simplify your language around the leadership award. I'd be inclined to put this in a section called honors or something similar as I don't see any evidence of leadership from what you have written.
as a recent grad, a hobbies / interest section is less frowned upon than for later career professionals.

Thanks for your prompt response.

No, my GPA is really tragic. I think it's about 2.7 or 2.8 even though my undergrad was good.

My current job is part-time, and I was working while completing school. How do I indicate that? And you're right, I do need to clarify what the council did. To be honest, we've only met once since I started.

I thought I listed the point of the affinity group meetings. Just wondering, is it not clear?

Ok, I will put the size of the school but I wouldn't say I feel comfortable saying that I worked with all the students.

For my third job, I wrote a report and presented it to my team internally. I am not sure what the results were.

I am really struggling how to say the impact because as it stands, I don't feel like I have any impacts for my jobs. I don't think I could give more impacts without lying. Should I scale back my goals?

Nirvikalpa fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 10, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nirvikalpa posted:

No, my GPA is really tragic. I think it's about 2.7 or 2.8 even though my undergrad was good.

Your resume inconsistently includes locations. I'd suggest including locations, particularly since you've done some real traveling. I think it paints you in an interesting light that you've had business/experience/volunteer reasons to travel to multiple continents.

Leave GPA off.

I noticed in comparison to your 2018 resume you dropped some lower relevance experiences, particularly an internship in China and volunteer work in Chile. I'd consider maybe throwing those in as just one line, either in experience section (merging volunteer section), or in volunteer section if you can make it look nice on one page. Make the job title descriptive enough that you don't need to tell them anything about it, just the fact that you went to a far away place to do a useful thing reflects well on you.

Permaculture Volunteer - Rupanco Farm - Jul 2017 - Aug 2017 - CityName, Chile
International Business Internship - CompanyName - Jun 2016 - Aug 2016 - Wherever, China

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nirvikalpa posted:

I'm giving this another try since I graduated. I'm an Economics major who is looking for an analyst position but my experience is in soft non-profit fields. I feel like I do have good skills, I just have no idea how to express that. I know that you're supposed to stuff your resume with keywords but I have no idea how to do it naturally without putting more keywords in my skills section.

I don't work in this field and this concern may not be valid but:

I don't know how woke your target firms are but I imagine a lot of old white male hiring managers are going to see the LGBT thing, assume you're heavily involved in activist stuff and are super outspoken about these things (as you should be) and associate it with a potentially disruptive employee. Or they'll see it and associate it with a bunch of change that they'd have to make to how they conduct themselves, or they'll think they'll have to worry about what they say, 'what's all that stuff about pronouns', or whatever. This might be worst case scenario thinking but I don't know how progressive your audiences will be. Hopefully very progressive!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Can go the other way too. Legit effort or tokenism.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

Your resume inconsistently includes locations. I'd suggest including locations, particularly since you've done some real traveling. I think it paints you in an interesting light that you've had business/experience/volunteer reasons to travel to multiple continents.

My real resume does include locations, I just left them off for privacy. Thanks again!

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how woke your target firms are but I imagine a lot of old white male hiring managers are going to see the LGBT thing, assume you're heavily involved in activist stuff and are super outspoken about these things (as you should be) and associate it with a potentially disruptive employee.

I would consider leaving it off, but I don't really have any other professional job experience. I don't think this job was a good fit for me, so that is part of the reason I am looking to work in a different field.

Xguard86 posted:

Could you explain?

Nirvikalpa fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 10, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xguard86 posted:

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know how woke your target firms are but I imagine a lot of old white male hiring managers are going to see the LGBT thing, assume you're heavily involved in activist stuff and are super outspoken about these things (as you should be) and associate it with a potentially disruptive employee. Or they'll see it and associate it with a bunch of change that they'd have to make to how they conduct themselves, or they'll think they'll have to worry about what they say, 'what's all that stuff about pronouns', or whatever. This might be worst case scenario thinking but I don't know how progressive your audiences will be. Hopefully very progressive!

Its where the dude actually worked. IDK what else he can do but include the name of it. But I agree, this resume will not be liked by any republican, so cast a WIDE net.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if a place is gonna reject you for participating in that kind of activism, and that kind of activism is important to you, you do not want to work there. leave it on, the right environment will see it as a plus and once you get to GPA conversation you are going to need a few extra edges.

if you haven't already, you should work on your GPA narrative. It's fine to leave it off but one of the first questions on the phone screen will be what was your undergrad GPA. Do not lie. But have an explanation ready to go that a) is reasonable b) is concise and c) does not try to deflect to external factors.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if a place is gonna reject you for participating in that kind of activism, and that kind of activism is important to you, you do not want to work there. leave it on, the right environment will see it as a plus and once you get to GPA conversation you are going to need a few extra edges.

if you haven't already, you should work on your GPA narrative. It's fine to leave it off but one of the first questions on the phone screen will be what was your undergrad GPA. Do not lie. But have an explanation ready to go that a) is reasonable b) is concise and c) does not try to deflect to external factors.

Do most jobs ask for your GPA? I heard that most places do not. I would say, "I struggled with some unprecedented health issues when starting college, and I was able to overcome them in later semesters as demonstrated by being on the Dean's List." Would you have a suggestion for something else? I think earlier you said you wanted me to say I was working full time or something like that, but that clearly wasn't my situation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Most jobs ask your GPA if you are recent college graduate.

I would tighten up that story a bit. Lots of people struggle with transition in to school, and I wouldn't mention health issues. "I had a pretty difficult time when I started school. By my (sophomore/junior whatever year) I figured out I really wanted to do X, and I made the Dean's List in my last few semesters." That's a decent story. People get hung up on health issues, which isn't fair, but I'd avoid talking about them.

I prefer you to say that you are working part time if that was the case, just note that it was part time and show what it overlapped with (in this case school).

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

if your GPA was better your last two years you can list 'major GPA' instead of just 'GPA' if that tells a better story.

personally I hate 'skills' sections, but you should lead with the most relevant skills, not foreign languages

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nirvikalpa posted:

My real resume does include locations, I just left them off for privacy. Thanks again!

I would consider leaving it off, but I don't really have any other professional job experience. I don't think this job was a good fit for me, so that is part of the reason I am looking to work in a different field.

Could you explain?

The activism stuff might be attractive to organizations that believe in that too, leaders who want more of it in their org (for real) and those looking for something performative or quota filling due to perception from their management or the market.

Like Carposter said, you'd probably rather have it and find your tribe than try to hide it and wind up constantly pissed off by your organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Upgrade posted:

if your GPA was better your last two years you can list 'major GPA' instead of just 'GPA' if that tells a better story.

personally I hate 'skills' sections, but you should lead with the most relevant skills, not foreign languages

Skills sections are fine imo for people with no real experience