Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hollow Knight's vast world was fun to explore once, but the platforming isn't anywhere near good or varied enough to hold my attention on repeat playthroughs and the sparsely placed benches make alot of runbacks just really tedious to go through. If they wanted to make the world that drat big more fast travel and respawn points really would have been nice to make runbacks & backtracking less of a timesink

Bust Rodd posted:

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but Hollow Knight allows you to set an “Instantly Return Here at any time” teleport magic spell, something that basically completely solves that issue, but for one reason or another a lot of folks never think to use Dreamgate in that way.

“You know, this boss has totally fragged me 2-3 times, let me just pop a dreamgate down here for a quick run back”

iirc you don't get this skill until further into the game than most metroidvanias full play times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Possibly true, I personally got it basically as soon as is possible on my first playthrough, like almost immediately after Mantis Lords. Totally organic/emergent, no guide, so I had it for most of my playtime.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought it was a reward for getting 1000 essence from the witch lady, which you can't do until you've got the dream nail to begin with and then getting all that essence for it, which is a not-insignificant amount of the game's content

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

No Dignity posted:

I thought it was a reward for getting 1000 essence from the witch lady, which you can't do until you've got the dream nail to begin with and then getting all that essence for it, which is a not-insignificant amount of the game's content

900, which is halfway up the reward chain for essence.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bust Rodd posted:

Mantis Lords.

Just wanna call out this boss. It was basically perfect. Everything they do is telegraphed, when you "figure out" the fight it's easy to do flawlessly, and it's the first hard boss of the game. The arena forces you to use your abilities and it doesn't last that long. When you get past that fight, you realize exactly what kind of game it is and I would say that is the boss you should tell new people to play to and beat. If you don't like the game by then, it's not the game for you.

As a bonus when you fight them in the dream realm, the fight is the same, but faster, and you can beat them in the same amount of time if you trust yourself and equip the lower-health = higher damage nail and execute the fight flwalessly. I wasn't able to pull that off verse any of the other bosses, but the Mantis Lord's revisited I was and it felt great.

Anyway, Dread is a good game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hollow Knight could’ve done without the soulslike death system
also the dramatic impact when you take a hit is way too aggressive and consistently makes me lose track of my character’s position even after multiple playthroughs

otherwise game is great

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

It's an obstacle course wall that's *just* high enough for some people to get over and for others to be unable to do so. Those who get over the wall have a great experience because they get all the endorphins of success against a challenge, those who don't end up feeling terrible.

This is kinda condescending ngl. I am 100% okay with challenge. Hollow Knight wasn't a challenge. It was a slog. I put the game down 12 hours in because i was not enjoying my experience, not because it was too difficult for me.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Just Andi Now posted:

This is kinda condescending ngl. I am 100% okay with challenge. Hollow Knight wasn't a challenge. It was a slog. I put the game down 12 hours in because i was not enjoying my experience, not because it was too difficult for me.

It's not meant to be. Some people are shorter than others so the wall is harder. I'm garbs at Metroid but I'm weirdly good at Hollow Knight. Being less good at something isn't a slight, everyone's good at different stuff.

And even in Hollow Knight's case, I got a boost over the wall. I had a friend telling me where to go if I got lost or frustrated.

But more interestingly, what does slog mean in this case? Was it just too annoying to get around? Too easy to get lost? Were you beating bosses but the time taken was prohibitive?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit: whoops ancient reply from 40 pages ago

bruh u payin 4 this poo poo?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

It's not meant to be. Some people are shorter than others so the wall is harder. I'm garbs at Metroid but I'm weirdly good at Hollow Knight. Being less good at something isn't a slight, everyone's good at different stuff.

And even in Hollow Knight's case, I got a boost over the wall. I had a friend telling me where to go if I got lost or frustrated.

But more interestingly, what does slog mean in this case? Was it just too annoying to get around? Too easy to get lost? Were you beating bosses but the time taken was prohibitive?

You're just telling me I'm not good at the game again. I was beating the bosses just fine thank you. Your analogy needs work.

From the very beginning I hated the jump arc. The world was too large. Any time I got a new traversal upgrade, I had 10 different spots to check for progress that were on opposite sides of the map. The dash was too short, and I had to waste a pin slot just to improve the distance by 5 cm enough into "ok this feels good to use territory". There's a room that is a single vertical climb that made me feel like I was playing Getting Over It except there are enemies. There are far too few warp points. QOL features are locked behind pin slots when they could easily have been permanent upgrades. I could go on.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 6, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I bounced off of Hollow Knight, then came back to it during pandemic when I was bored and had nothing but time to kill and it was fine. The huge world with limited covenience/QoL features definitely help evoke a certain mood but the time investment is a real killer.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I continue to believe that it's not really the game's fault if you can't read a map.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Just Andi Now posted:

You're just telling me I'm not good at the game again. I was beating the bosses just fine thank you. Your analogy needs work.

From the very beginning I hated the jump arc. The world was too large. Any time I got a new traversal upgrade, I had 10 different spots to check for progress that were on opposite sides of the map. The dash was too short, and I had to waste a pin slot just to improve the distance by 5 cm enough into "ok this feels good to use territory". There's a room that is a single vertical climb that made me feel like I was playing Getting Over It except there are enemies. There are far too few warp points. QOL features are locked behind pin slots when they could easily have been permanent upgrades. I could go on.

Look, given I had absolutely no idea what your complaint about the game was and was making a generalised comment around people who literally in this thread had commented on having issues with the difficulty, I think you're taking things to heart a little too much.

As it happens, I think a lot of what you say is reasonable. I disagree on the jump and dash, but those are deeply personal and your experience there is valid. I also think if you start out disliking the movement in a game that has traversal at its heart, you're very unlikely to enjoy that game and that's absolutely fine.

Honestly I'm impressed with your persistence if you played for 10 hours with that as an issue.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 7, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I finished all of Hollow Knight including the DLC. It is a fun game but my complaints about it are not based around it being too hard.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ori is a good alternative to a Hollow Knight experience if you do want something easier. Death is still punishing, but you make your own save points. Movement is tight. It has a more explicit story, but a similar atmosphere. The map auto fills, and you can get upgrades to show things on it. Nothing in Ori made me tear my hair out, like repeatedly dying to something like the bee dude. Of course, nothing in Ori made me feel as good killing something like the bee dude. If you like Dread and bounced off of Hollow Knight, though, I do recommend it.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

mastajake posted:

Ori is a good alternative to a Hollow Knight experience if you do want something easier. Death is still punishing, but you make your own save points. Movement is tight. It has a more explicit story, but a similar atmosphere. The map auto fills, and you can get upgrades to show things on it. Nothing in Ori made me tear my hair out, like repeatedly dying to something like the bee dude. Of course, nothing in Ori made me feel as good killing something like the bee dude. If you like Dread and bounced off of Hollow Knight, though, I do recommend it.

The 2nd game (Will of the Wisps) is also pretty directly influenced by Hollow Knight with the combat/healing mechanics and charm system. I just finished it last weekend and I was really tearing my hair out at the sandworm chase towards the end but other than that wasn't super hard and felt easy compared to Hollow Knight. In general the combat is fairly easy and the more difficult parts of the games are the auto-scroll sections where you have to do platforming quickly while being chased.
Tried to get into the first game after finishing the second one but it just felt like a big step back mechanically.
Also it should be noted that they're both really pretty looking games which feel like a living painting.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hollow Knight's fuckin excellent in a ton of ways but certainly not flawless, Ori & the Blind Forest is fantastic as well (haven't played Will of the Wisps yet), but this thread ain't about all that, according to its title Metroid Dread Metroid Thread

New Metroid Dread modes in free update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wIuZp1p7Dg

Rookie Mode (bonus healing) and Dread Mode (instadeath!!) available now, boss rush in April!

p.s. Silksong when?????

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Patch Notes of the new difficulty modes:

"ROOKIE MODE" has been added to the game. This is a mode suited towards new players, with the following adjustments:
- Dropped items from enemies now replenish greater amounts when picked-up.
- Damage received from Boss attacks has been lowered.
- Destructible Boss projectiles have been made easier to break than usual (excluding some attacks).
- Increased number of missiles available when beginning game.
- Made the finishing counters when defeating some Bosses easier to perform.
- Selected when starting a New Game, and choosing "SELECT DIFFICULTY".

“DREAD MODE” has been added to the game. This is an extremely high-difficulty mode, where any damage taken from enemies or traps will lead to an instant Game Over.
- Can be selected after clearing HARD MODE, when beginning a New Game, and choosing “SELECT DIFFICULTY”.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Boss Rush mode sounds really cool (Dread mode seems a little redundant but I guess it's a more straightforward way to do a 0% Hard Mode, soooo, sure?). I'm glad Dread is getting updates, but, uh, is anybody else getting a little concerned that we haven't heard a word about Metroid Prime 4 in three years? :lol:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MJeff posted:

Boss Rush mode sounds really cool (Dread mode seems a little redundant but I guess it's a more straightforward way to do a 0% Hard Mode, soooo, sure?). I'm glad Dread is getting updates, but, uh, is anybody else getting a little concerned that we haven't heard a word about Metroid Prime 4 in three years? :lol:

I mean, we keep hearing about Retro Studios hiring people to supposedly work on it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I like that they're adding easier gameplay options for David Jaffe. I'm never gonna play Dread Mode though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MJeff posted:

From what we know the game basically started over from Scratch. A lot of games are in development for a long time before we hear about them and Prime 4 is like the first ever game I can think of where they went "No actually this sucks poo poo, starting from 0" after announcement.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

MJeff posted:

During the direct where they announced Dread they also said that they weren't happy with how MP4 was progressing and basically started over

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This update sounds really cool. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy for Rookie Mode, and there are probably some sickos who will love Dread Mode, but for me, I'm just looking forward to the boss rush update. The game has some great boss fights so it's a perfect game for a boss rush.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I kind of wish Dread mode was like Heaven and Hell mode from Devil May Cry where EVERYTHING dies in one hit, including you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MJeff posted:

Nah

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ImpAtom posted:

From what we know the game basically started over from Scratch. A lot of games are in development for a long time before we hear about them and Prime 4 is like the first ever game I can think of where they went "No actually this sucks poo poo, starting from 0" after announcement.

Kinda makes you wonder just how loving bad the Bandai-Namco version of the game was.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hasn't it been in re-development for like three years now? Even accounting for Covid it seems like it's been in development hell with Retro too

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

three years is a perfectly normal amount of time to develop a video game

when it's been 4-5 years with no word then you can start thinking about development hell

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also remember that in most cases Nintendo doesn't like showing off games years before release these days. Stuff like announcing Breath of the Wild 2 years in advance is the exception.
We heard about Dread a few months before release.

IF Prime 4 was coming out this holiday or something, I wouldn't be surprised if we got our first look at it in a Direct in September or something, for example.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Veotax posted:

Also remember that in most cases Nintendo doesn't like showing off games years before release these days. Stuff like announcing Breath of the Wild 2 years in advance is the exception.
We heard about Dread a few months before release.

IF Prime 4 was coming out this holiday or something, I wouldn't be surprised if we got our first look at it in a Direct in September or something, for example.

That's fair, Metroid Dread's drop was a real surprise too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The name Dread was first teased in Fusion, right? As long as MP4 is faster than it should be fine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I love giving the knuckleheads a suicide mode, and I LOVE patching in an easy mode and spitefully calling it “Rookie” mode. Hell Yeah!

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Prime 4 is like the first ever game I can think of where they went "No actually this sucks poo poo, starting from 0" after announcement.

How quickly we forget Duke Nukem Forever

Also Doom 2016, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, and Overwatch (although technically that was announced as a different game altogether) are examples I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm sure Nintendo has a ton of games that get rebooted during development that we just never head about though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I bet for every reboot and cancellation we hear about, there's a half dozen that we never find out about at all

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Most of the time, what even counts as a "reboot" of development vs simply going through a lot of concepts in pre-production or even regular production, is a little academic anyway. It's like losing all your Dark Souls because you died before reaching your bloodstain; a number went down but you retain the true experience; you can't really undo pre-production. One meaningful way to define it is as going back from production to pre-production, although sometimes a game can still go through massive changes throughout production. Or maybe you can reboot pre-production of an unchanged concept in a changed context (I understand this is what happened to Metroid Dread; the idea has been there from the start but tech specs didn't permit what they wanted). The big deal with Prime 4 is that it completely changed developers, which is fairly significant, although we don't and probably never will know exactly how much work the original team got done and what it looked like beyond being apparently unsatisfactory. We know even less about Prime 4 than we do about FFVII Remake, whose original development at least produced a trailer we can analyse and compare to the latter team's work.

(I also don't think it's worth reading into them hiring; sometimes people leave and need to be replaced when you run a project for literally years.)

Basically we have no idea if they were struggling to think of what to even try to make, or having trouble actually making it. Frankly I think they were wrong to announce the game at all and possibly only did because they needed a megaton at the time. Every time they acknowledge it it's like they're trying to play down the hype they managed to spark just showing a 4 on a background with some music. I mean, hell, even the stunning reveal of Metroid loving Dread was framed as a consolation for still not having any news about Prime 4, and that's a little sad. When they finally do show it, it's going to be consumed by people who have long been waiting for it, as opposed to being a complete holy poo poo drop that will get hyperbolic writeups in all the games journalisms. And, I mean, this will be a relatively minor problem, but it's still a shame.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I still haven't beat this game as I just dropped off after being so angry at release over the purple bug fight but man - introducing a 1-hit kill mode is sadistic. :lol:

Whoever does it first deserves a huge reward.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, they announced MP4 WAY too early, much like Bayonetta 3. I think they were both announced like when the Switch itself was? Both probably just as a "look at these cult favourite series we have coming back!"
The games had probably only just started development and both seemed to have been troubled with how long they've taken. MP4 more so, with that re-starting at a different studio.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Trying Dread mode, wish me luck :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Veotax posted:

Yeah, they announced MP4 WAY too early, much like Bayonetta 3. I think they were both announced like when the Switch itself was? Both probably just as a "look at these cult favourite series we have coming back!"
The games had probably only just started development and both seemed to have been troubled with how long they've taken. MP4 more so, with that re-starting at a different studio.

It was pretty bad timing. Maybe that's why we didn't hear about Dread until it was close to coming out, haha. I initially assumed Dread was what we were get instead of MP4 but I am more than happy to play both