Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lumpentroll posted:

AITA for trying to get my (40M) employee (24F) to do her job?

quote:

I told her she couldn't do the training with that coworker during work time, which is why she scheduled it with him after work. She was doing it on our company zoom and working on company projects, so even if it's after work hours, it's still "work time" in my book. I don't like people working late in general, but if she wanted to do that, there was design work that would've been more appropriate for her to do.

You can't do training during work time.

YOU CAN'T DO IT AFTER EITHER

quote:

I've explained to my boss that we should fire her and hire someone else, but she says that the employee is doing a good job. Even if she's not trying to actively "avoid work," part of being an adult is taking incentive and she's failing at that basic task.

I think he meant "Taking initiative" lol

What an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He's jelly of the UX man.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for not taking my wife's side and admitting that she overreacted??

quote:

Some background: My wife is a makeup artist, She always has those heavy makeup looks on which can be weird for me as guy sometimes, but she loves it and enjoys it so no problems there. though my friends and family tend to make funny, lighthearted comments on her makeup which she seems to take too seriously.

Now the situation, My 27th birthday was few days ago. we celebrated at a small diner with my guy friends and my wife. now my guy friends are brutally honest and make jokes and tease all the time, my wife knows how they are so no surprises there.

Anyways, My wife took a miute to use the toilet to get her makeup fixed as me and the boys were chatting. when she got back she asked me how she looked and before I could answer, My friend Austin responded by jokingly saying "drat, you look like you just got out of the cancer ward with that heavy makeup on your face!". the rest of the guys started laughing and I just stared at my wife. she got very upset and started arguing with Austin about how awful he was. others joined in and there was so much comotion. I felt upset that they were fighting during my birthday celebration. I asked my wife to calm down and take a seat but she asked if I was okay with my friends making fun of her. Austin said "come on It was a joke!" I threw my habds up and said that I admit that my wife overreacted because really it was a joke, She lashed out on me and took an uber home. The party was cut short and when I got home we began arguing. I told her she overreacted and that she shouldn't take everything seriously knowing how great she always looks but she turned it into an argument about how I let my friends insult her, and how I should've defended her and her integrity after I basically "forced" thise guys upon her when she was the ine who arranged for this enitre celebration.

she kept crying about getting humiliated and me dismissing her feelings and saying she overreacted.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've never seen someone use the phrase "team dad/parent" without them having a massively inflated sense of their own importance and completely unaware of how their subordinates actually view them.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Also lol you woke up part of my brain with that phrase for one of the funniest posts I can remember.

I was fired for taking initiative

quote:

Last summer, I decided to re-enter the workforce after five years of raising my kids. I applied to a bunch of jobs that I thought I could do, and got an interview at this one very small company (~20 employees). The people I interviewed with – my future manager and her boss/the COO – were upfront with me that I didn’t possess the exact qualifications that they were looking for, but I interviewed well and they decided to give me a few (paid) one-off assignments to see if I would be able to learn what I needed to do the job. I proved myself and they brought me on full-time.

I spent the first four months at that company doing a lot of learning on my own. My manager (let’s call her Betty) wasn’t very involved with my training at all, always claiming she had tons of work to do. Instead, she gave me lists of resources (training manuals, online certification classes, etc.) to go through, checked in with me maybe once a day, and assigned me a “starter project” so that I could “learn on the job.” So I basically taught myself everything I needed to learn, and the project I worked on was a huge success for the company. It launched about five months after I was hired. I got a raise out of it, and everyone in management seemed very happy with my work.

Once I had finished that project and the account I’d launched was doing well, I noticed some of the tactics/skills I’d used could be implemented on another account that wasn’t performing as well as the one I’d just launched. I told Betty about my plan, and she completely blew me off. Basically she told me that she “already had plans” for this account, that she didn’t need my help, and instead assigned me to another (less important) project. Needless to say, I was more than a little insulted by her attitude.

But I know that sometimes you have to push hard to get things done. I calmed myself down, and waited until the next day when Betty left for a vacation, and I went to Betty’s boss (Veronica). I walked her through the improvements I wanted to make on this other account. I was given the green light to go ahead and start that work. Clearly this was the right thing to do! I mean, Veronica wouldn’t have given me the go-ahead otherwise, right?

Well, Betty returned from her vacation on a Friday a few weeks later. I came in that Monday morning and found that she had sabotaged all of my work over the weekend! She went through everything I’d worked on that had already launched, and made a bunch of changes, took down some stuff, and more. Essentially she did everything she could so that I wouldn’t be able to show the improvements that I’d made to the suffering account, and reverted it to how it was performing in the past. She also sent me a very passive-aggressive email along the lines of “let’s chat about this first thing Monday.”

In order to preempt another hissy fit from her, and once I assessed the gravity of what she’d done, I went into the meeting with Betty, but pulled Veronica into the conference room as well. I proceeded to explain to Betty that this project had been assigned to me by Veronica, and that she had no business interfering with my work. I was very clear that what she had done was unprofessional, extremely disrespectful, that the results I’d produced were speaking for themselves and that she shouldn’t meddle in things that don’t concern her. Of course I was very angry and maybe I was a little forceful during that meeting, but I feel like I had every right to be upset at what she did!

Betty was very quiet during this meeting. At the time I figured she just couldn’t think of how to defend her actions. Now I understand it’s because she’s even more conniving than I thought she was.

The next morning, I was called in to sit down with Veronica and the CEO. They told me that things weren’t working out, gave me a severance check and told me I was laid off.

I feel that I was treated extremely unfairly by this company. I had a clearly incompetent manager, I never received proper training, and when I tried to help by taking on important projects, my work was sabotaged and I was punished for my initiative. I think Betty may even have spread harsh rumors about me in the industry because despite applying to a bunch of jobs since then, I’ve had very few interviews, and the ones I’ve had never went past the ‘references’ stage.

Some of my friends are telling me I should let this go and count my blessings that I’m out of that environment, while my husband wants me to get a lawyer involved. Money’s tight right now, and I really need income, even if it’s returning to work for that company (under a different manager). What should I do?

Mr. Fix It posted:

big peggy hill energy

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 6, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not even sure he’s in a position of authority? Seniority isn’t actually that and he’s kind of vague on what exactly their work relationship is

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not even sure he’s in a position of authority? Seniority isn’t actually that and he’s kind of vague on what exactly their work relationship is

I think he is just a guy who decided he was this person's boss because he's a man and she is the new hire. Like, no actual authority difference at all.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's definitely not.

quote:

I’m not technically her “boss,”

quote:

I've explained to my boss that we should fire her and hire someone else, but she says that the employee is doing a good job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He's definitely not.

Oh I know he isn’t her boss but I don’t think he’s anyone’s boss.

He’s just sounds like the co worker who narcs on other co workers

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
okay that makes it way funnier if he was like QA II and she was QA I so he has literally no direct reports and just treats everyone in a paternal, likely patronizing manner.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

CharlestheHammer posted:

She was hired to replace him and he hasn't figured that out yet.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

lumpentroll posted:

Either I'm bad at reading (frequent occurrence) or there is a mess of contradictions in here.

The obvious one is "I'm not her boss, but I'm her boss kinda anyway haha!"
But then the work load one is....???
All this "I keep doing extra work then she doesn't do the work I did for her (LAZY)" with zero implication that he is communicating to her about whatever extra crap he's doing, and just wants her to magically figure out where his (non authoritative) expectations are and do them.

He must be a really fun husband too. Gonna be a really fun dad.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Brawnfire posted:

Can you imagine this from the recommender's perspective? You have a great rapport with an awesome pizza place, you and your friends get free food and drinks,

And one time you invite someone who just pisses all the gently caress over it, like it's garbage, and will possibly ruin it for you. I would put a thumb through their eye and yeet them down the street like a bowling ball.

Lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Midnight Voyager posted:

My favorite thing about these sort of people (see also the black and white cupcake pattern lady) is how they unknowingly prove themselves to be frustrating garbage, by showing how inane and confusing they are even in their carefully pruned rosy depictions of themselves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blastedhellscape posted:

As someone who's relatively tall and usually doesn't even notice if a dude is short I find this really sad. Seriously: I have a cousin who's taller than her husband, and I never thought about it until my grandmother took me aside and whispered "Don't you think it's odd when a woman is taller than the man she's with?" and I was like "What? No? Who cares?"

Sucks to blow up your life over something that most people don't think or care about, but as I understand it a lot of short guys have gone through a *lot* of bullying, so I see how it happens.

Male Height is one of those things where it doesn't matter, until it does, and you shouldn't raise a fuss about it, except when you should.

But the one consistent thing every short dude has to learn is "never be preemptive or aggressive about height stuff, especially if/when you've found people who seem to genuinely like you."

This dude nuked his life because he couldn't fathom other people not caring.

lumpentroll posted:

Oh man I've worked with so many people like this. You cover your rear end and enjoy watching them eat your poo poo as they slowly and painfully learn that they are not nearly as hot as they thought. There's a reason they always do this to the younger/junior staff.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

mind the walrus posted:

Oh man I've worked with so many people like this. You cover your rear end and enjoy watching them eat your poo poo as they slowly and painfully learn that they are not nearly as hot as they thought. There's a reason they always do this to the younger/junior staff.

Yeah he wasn't giving the co worker who was training the new person crap, he went after someone new to feel big. I mean he probably doesn't have a job anymore thanks to snapping at her so it's kind of all a moot point...

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Midnight Voyager posted:

I got so tired of being told that I needed to take initiative at jobs (like, multiple jobs). I had no authority, no idea what to do that would be useful, and a terror of screwing up something important. If I'd asked, the conversation would have gone something like this:

"You need to take initiative to do things and not just sit around."
"Okay, what do you want me to do?"
"I don't know."
"You still know more than me."
"Look, don't make me manage you. Just know what needs to be done when nobody else does for $10 an hour at most and no benefits."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lumpentroll posted:

I went looking for this one and found something so much worse........

My (17f) dad (40m) is dating a girl (18f) from my high school. I was trying to get her a job, and my dad's angry at us both.

quote:

I live in a really small town and everyone knows everyone. Especially in high school. I remember when I was a sophomore in high school this girl Julieanna was a senior, and she was really popular and the sort of person who would be nice to everyone and go out of her way to help people. We were never close friends but we were always friendly.

She graduated and I heard she went through some tough stuff, getting expelled from a religious college for either drinking or drug use, I'm not sure which. Then she started dating my dad, who is in the middle of a messy divorce with my mom. That really shook me up, it seemed crazy my dad was dating a high school friend of mine. It felt really gross like he was going after someone who's basically a kid to him and I didn't like that. He said some poo poo about love having no age, and how she's one of the rare people with a selfless heart, which struck me as hella weird because they'd been dating for like a month at that time. I think he's having some mid life crisis or something. He moved her into the house because she didn't have a place to live and at that point I started to get talking with her privately.

It really seems like she met him on tinder and went along with stuff because she didn't have somewhere else to go, but my dad doesn't know that. And I'm worrying about her honestly, if stuff doesn't work out between them, which it probably won't, she's got everything to lose and he's got nothing to lose.

So, I started helping her out looking for a job. I work as a sleep away camp counselor during the summers and I am going back for this coming summer. It's a job that makes you stay at camp overnight for 2 and a half months.

And I helped Julieanna apply, and recommended her to my boss. It looked like she'd get considered for a job, but then she told my dad how she might be getting a summer job and they had a fight over it and how it wasn't cool of her to apply to a job that means living elsewhere without talking it through with him. And he was also mad at me for going behind his back, and he might not allow me to work at camp this summer because of it, which I'm really mad about.

I want to work there so bad, I miss my camp friends. And I want Julieanna to work there too, she needs job experience because she's never had a job before. And she really wants a job but there aren't many options open for her in this small town.

But I don't know how to make it happen, this whole situation is so weird and I don't know what to do.

tl;dr My dad is dating a girl who went to high school with me. I was trying to get her a job at my summer camp where I work during the summer, and my dad is mad at me and her for supposedly going behind his back.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

trickybiscuits posted:

I got so tired of being told that I needed to take initiative at jobs (like, multiple jobs). I had no authority, no idea what to do that would be useful, and a terror of screwing up something important. If I'd asked, the conversation would have gone something like this:

"You need to take initiative to do things and not just sit around."
"Okay, what do you want me to do?"
"I don't know."
"You still know more than me."
"Look, don't make me manage you. Just know what needs to be done when nobody else does for $10 an hour at most and no benefits."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChQK8j6so8

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My professor yanked my insulin pump off the table, thinking it was a phone. She broke it. Can I demand she replace it ?

quote:

I’m a college student and during an exam my pump was sitting on the table in front of me because I kept getting low alerts. I was trying to finish the assignment (it was a final) so I could get a snack.

My professor then walked over and snatched the pump off the desk and screamed “your phone has been going off this entire test!”

My pump line tore out of my skin and the line snapped. Now no matter how many times I fix the line , it’s not working correctly and I’m having to use needle and vial until I can get a new one.

I want my pump fixed. The teacher says it’s not their fault that it was on the table and looked like a phone and that I shouldn’t have been using it during a final anyways.

What legal options do I have here?

California if this helps.

My pump is a minimed 770 which is 7 thousand dollars. I don’t know if the cost matters in my options.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Motronic posted:

I went looking for this one and found something so much worse........

My (17f) dad (40m) is dating a girl (18f) from my high school. I was trying to get her a job, and my dad's angry at us both.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

teen witch posted:

My professor yanked my insulin pump off the table, thinking it was a phone. She broke it. Can I demand she replace it ?
1. America is a shithole.

2. What proof do you have? If you've got actual hard evidence like video/audio and not just hearsay from classmates, maybe. Otherwise it's your word versus theirs and administration ain't gonna give a gently caress unless they really think you could rake them over the coals. Can you? If you have to ask you probably can't.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

teen witch posted:

It doesn't even look or sound like a phone. Plus, you know, it has a tube leading into their body to pump the insulin in. How old or demented is the professor??

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
She should be able to destroy this institution for violating her medical rights and destroying her equipment.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I hate to be this guy but, how do you have a roughly smartphone-shaped $7k device out on the table during an exam and not have like, some kind of sign to indicate it's an insulin pump, or pre-emptively notifying the invigilators? It seems like what happened was basically inevitable?

e: just googled the model, it looks like a little zune or something, definitely something an ignorant invigilator would think you could cheat with

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mind the walrus posted:

Otherwise it's your word versus theirs and administration ain't gonna give a gently caress unless they really think you could rake them over the coals. Can you? If you have to ask you probably can't.
"young college student vs old fart who broke their insulin pump" could easily go viral, I think they might actually have a shot at this one

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

quote:

Goddamn I’ve had a couple supervisors (not fake self-appointed) like that and they’re the absolute worst. Simultaneously control freaks but also intensely passive aggressive and incapable of articulating what they want.

There’s also an annoying thing I’ve experienced as a woman in the workforce where guys will act like they’re taking you under their wing and give you no loving feedback, no direction, just condescending pats on the head whenever you ask for help or approval (which they seem to think is “supportive”?). Eventually, because they’ve repeatedly cut you off at the knees from learning or growing in the role and roadblocked you from more challenging assignments, they get frustrated by your “underperformance” and lash out.

I bet she’s doing training with the other guy because he’s actually willing to communicate with her and help grow her skills.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 6, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

1. America is a shithole.

2. What proof do you have? If you've got actual hard evidence like video/audio and not just hearsay from classmates, maybe. Otherwise it's your word versus theirs and administration ain't gonna give a gently caress unless they really think you could rake them over the coals. Can you? If you have to ask you probably can't.

There must be plenty of witnesses. I hope she takes the prof to the cleaners.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

lumpentroll posted:

I very much doubt that he’s been called “worse names than bitch” in his professional career. There’s no way anyone’s ever made gendered insults at him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

therattle posted:

There must be plenty of witnesses. I hope she takes the prof to the cleaners.
We all do. But there's a huge disparity between "this seems like an obvious open and shut case" and "this is an open and shut case." Actual law people would know more than me there.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"young college student vs old fart who broke their insulin pump" could easily go viral, I think they might actually have a shot at this one
A video of the prof. yanking it? That goes viral in a heartbeat and the school is hosed. Just a bunch of students confirming "yeah that happened" is going to need some serious work. If the kid isn't already organizing and instead going to reddit for confirmation, it might not be able to get the traction it needs.

Either way hope they're talking to an actual attorney because yeah, holy poo poo, that kid needs justice.

killerwhat posted:

I very much doubt that he’s been called “worse names than bitch” in his professional career. There’s no way anyone’s ever made gendered insults at him.
Funny commonality I've noticed about people called actual slurs in the workplace-- they never feel the need to brag about it as a sign of toughness.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

I hate to be this guy but, how do you have a roughly smartphone-shaped $7k device out on the table during an exam and not have like, some kind of sign to indicate it's an insulin pump, or pre-emptively notifying the invigilators? It seems like what happened was basically inevitable?

e: just googled the model, it looks like a little zune or something, definitely something an ignorant invigilator would think you could cheat with

The confrontation was inevitable and could have been avoided if she had made the professor aware of her condition (she also could have gotten accommodations to bring a snack into the exam.) But it's college, you don't just snatch a student's cell phone and tell them their parents can pick it up from the principal's office at the end of the day.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

killerwhat posted:

What I doubt even more than those is that if he ever was and is, that he wouldn't completely flip his poo poo about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bell jar posted:

How do you have a line long enough to put it on a desk? Why do you need to take it off of your body/waistband when you can control it with your phone? Why are you trying to control it at all? The point of this device is to manage all of that. There are a lot of questions here and I don't feel like enough information has been provided. In fact it feels like a a lot of critical information has not been provided.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Motronic posted:

How do you have a line long enough to put it on a desk? Why do you need to take it off of your body/waistband when you can control it with your phone? Why are you trying to control it at all? The point of this device is to manage all of that. There are a lot of questions here and I don't feel like enough information has been provided. In fact it feels like a a lot of critical information has not been provided.
The lines are a lot longer now than they used to be.

Body/waistband can be uncomfortable when sitting down for an extended period of time, like for example-- during a college exam.

Being able to fidget with an insulin device in the hope it stabilizes nerves might not be sympathetic to you, but it's very understandable from the "this is a nervous young adult human animal and subject to imperfection" perspective.

Now I'm being a harsh pedantic dickhead about the kid not having a strong enough case to just slam dunk it through the administration, but now you're platforming like prosecution and it's a poo poo look.

Yes, the kid should have told the prof. about it. Lesson learned. They shouldn't be out $7k for the mistake, and the dipshit who grabbed it should be on the hook for treating a college student like a snot-nosed middle schooler.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

teen witch posted:

You leave bagel workers drat well alone. My saints.

My first job was at a bagel place, I feel loved

eta: crap, what a stupid discussion to post this in the middle of

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 7, 2022

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'd say if you snatch poo poo like an idiot you should be liable for anything you break.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

In my series of lovely dead end jobs I’ve worked with a lot of people in their 40s and 50s who are the only person older than mid 20s there and every time they start trying to act like their coworkers parent or be a boss without actual authority and every time everyone loving hates it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bell jar posted:

lmao being an invigilator in an exam isn't some excuse to start swiping people's poo poo but go off

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Recoome posted:

lmao being an invigilator in an exam isn't some excuse to start swiping people's poo poo but go off

They're also complete poo poo at their job if they wait till near the end of the exam to scream at the person and swipe it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

teen witch posted:

I love the "if it was an accident then it wasn't my fault" defense. When I was a high school a family friend walked through the sliding glass door of a rental property and refused to pay for it because "I thought it was open, why should I have to pay for something that wasn't my fault?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

The lines are a lot longer now than they used to be.

Body/waistband can be uncomfortable when sitting down for an extended period of time, like for example-- during a college exam.

Being able to fidget with an insulin device in the hope it stabilizes nerves might not be sympathetic to you, but it's very understandable from the "this is a nervous young adult human animal and subject to imperfection" perspective.

Now I'm being a harsh pedantic dickhead about the kid not having a strong enough case to just slam dunk it through the administration, but now you're platforming like prosecution and it's a poo poo look.

Yes, the kid should have told the prof. about it. Lesson learned. They shouldn't be out $7k for the mistake, and the dipshit who grabbed it should be on the hook for treating a college student like a snot-nosed middle schooler.

You understand I'm not blaming a victim here, I'm saying the story is full of holes so it makes little sense and is fake. Or I guess you didn't understand that at all.