Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I ended today on level 8, I figure the strategy is to just use the wand for most of it and dodge what I can't deflect but I'm still a little floored by how they chose to do that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Lol i'm there now, it's brutal. A SHMUP but you if you're moving you can't shoot forward... demented

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Got to level 8 today myself lol. I will not be 1ccing this game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Played a bit of this with a friend and we made it to the first boss which was a piece of poo poo, but mostly i bemoaned snes9x. For some loving reason it didnt let him walk in diagonals on an xbox controller, and trying to configure the diagonal binds (which it has for some reason) was impossible cause itd detect either direction when trying to input a diagonal. Also the cable seems to be hosed and when it reconnected the emulator wouldnt recognize it. Im going back to zsnes after this

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Also for a game about 2 characters it really doesnt seem to be well designed for 2 players

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What if anything does p2 do in the shmup stages

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

P-Mack posted:

What if anything does p2 do in the shmup stages

They just sit it out. My fiancee used it as an opportunity to go cook dinner.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
had a weird amount of trouble with Foxy, but the level after that was pretty easy and i didn't really have many problems with Impy. up to stage 5 now, first shmup stage, and not having the wand anymore means i'm in trouble! (also a shmup with the wand mechanic would be pretty cool. missed opportunity tbh)

really enjoying this game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Didn’t have much time to game the last couple days but I’m gonna slam this today

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Also for a game about 2 characters it really doesnt seem to be well designed for 2 players

Yeah the first game is a much better co-op experience. The new one coming out this year looks to be one as well, it looks really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbe9GMR9z3g

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I never got good at dodging that sword beam I just got a lot better at timing my throwing attack to basically take off a full candle of health each time.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

rodbeard posted:

I never got good at dodging that sword beam I just got a lot better at timing my throwing attack to basically take off a full candle of health each time.

The foolproof way to dodge it is to move toward the lower left of the screen when it's going to be his next attack (you can tell because he always cycles through the same three attacks in the same order) then start moving rightward after he draws his sword

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fun as hell game, the difficulty really ramps up in the last few stages. The dragon shmup level was probably my least favorite, and the ninjas in the last level kept getting me until I started using the wand more often

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is the stage 8 boss supposed to move to the bottom of the screen and become literally impossible to dodge

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Is the stage 8 boss supposed to move to the bottom of the screen and become literally impossible to dodge

lmao i think thats a glitch if you hit it wth your wand, i killed him the one time that happened to me because then he cant doge either

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

im gonna play this today probably. i have a headache right now though.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
might tap out on this. i made it to the stage 8 boss on one credit but stage 8 just sucks so much

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

P-Mack posted:

That happens in the fourth phase and it's the worst. You can cross over if the dragon is low enough. And you can even cross over Bolta's back if the dragon is high enough but I wouldn't ever try it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
a huge blemish on an otherwise quite pleasant game

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got past stage 8 and started liking the game again then I got to the stage 9 boss

rodbeard posted:

I managed to get killed in the second impy fight by beating her while her homing projectile was still in air. It kept moving while the cutscene started and I couldn't control my character.

This happened to me too and i got momentarily jokerfied

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mycophobia posted:

a huge blemish on an otherwise quite pleasant game

what were they thinking!

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me
Yeah I wish they ditched the shmup sections. The rest of the game is tight

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
5 i dont mind because it actually plays like a shmup

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah 5 is a cute idea thats over fast. 8 sucks on ice

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

yeah 5 is a cute idea thats over fast. 8 sucks on ice

This

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

me as a teen: man I wish I had a super big widescreen for watching home movies

me now: man these guys with a CRT have it made

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Stage 1 down. This game is badass.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

EmmyOk posted:

just use craigslist or facebook market, you can find a trinitron easily

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

i have 3 lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Little Demon posted:

just use craigslist or facebook market, you can find a trinitron easily

Ya I’m definitely planning to in the future. Recently had to move back home so I can save for a mortgage so not space in my parents to fit in a third tv of my own just for my GameCube

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

:cheers:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol cool

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

explaining to my now long suffering partner: see i needed this first crt for lightgun games, unfortunately its composite only which doesn't provide the clearest possible picture due to all the signal being combined. that's why i use the widescreen crt which has component and s-video, its not ideal for older systems due to digital input lag and incompatibly with lightguns, but more modern systems such as the ps2 really shine on here due to the widescreen and progressive scan. now the sony wega, here is something special....

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

(sega voice) wega

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Lol cool

b_d posted:

(sega voice) wega

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

trying to jack off posted:

explaining to my now long suffering partner: see i needed this first crt for lightgun games, unfortunately its composite only which doesn't provide the clearest possible picture due to all the signal being combined. that's why i use the widescreen crt which has component and s-video, its not ideal for older systems due to digital input lag and incompatibly with lightguns, but more modern systems such as the ps2 really shine on here due to the widescreen and progressive scan. now the sony wega, here is something special....

Gonna be hitting you up when I have a mortgage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

(sega voice) wega

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not sure if it’s placebo effect but it literally felt like I got better at this and Axelay when I moved from emulating on my PC to playing on actual hardware on my CRT lol.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Do not get a trinitron. It’s not worth cracking t he foundation of your home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’d jokingly compare it to the Xbox in size but this is serious