Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
IIRC it's a pollution control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Diesels didn't really get into the piss juice until the late 2000s.

Also the whole industry took part in a VW-like emissions test scam in the 90s.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Lol nice. Almost had one of these for real last week. Was working on a VFD and the inrush current limiter exploded. When I pulled the board out, one of the fist-sized caps was uncomfortably hot to the touch

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/hXvwjq3.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Was this filmed inside a purring cat?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

His reaction suggests that this is a workplace where homoerotic pranks are not unheard of.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That classic "Andre the giant pokes you in the back" trick

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
finally the sequel and shift to the true genre* everyone ask for.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

this is delightful

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

I'd totally buy this, if the labelling was more realistic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

Would combining this with an all-you-can-eat asparagus buffet be worthwhile?

Only if you're not following them

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

old bean factory posted:

I'd totally buy this, if the labelling was more realistic.

Do you mean with the value scaled up to match the new size?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

taqueso posted:

Do you mean with the value scaled up to match the new size?

Magic smoke from a cap that size would be up there with 'ominously ticking crate of dynamite' and 'active Florine fire' in terms of how likely I am to set a new personal best in the 100m sprint.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Nah. The driver might like it. You need to piss in the fuel tank for several reasons:

1) To contaminate as much fuel as possible
3) To see it drug off on a tow truck
4) Cost the owner as much money as possible in repairs

2) Rehydrate and repeat 1 (if needed)

if repeating number 1 continues, see a doctor

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The specks from where the alpha particles have hit the CCD is a nice touch.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Anyway

https://i.imgur.com/LwctzAk.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

axolotl farmer posted:

The specks from where the alpha particles have hit the CCD is a nice touch.

those are gammas op

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

those are gammas op

yeah whatever, spicy sunbeams then

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

So uh. What's going on here? That looks like some serious high voltage wiring, that goes nowhere? Does it terminate onto that inch thick plate steel and bolts linker arm assembly looking thing? Is he walking on a physical manifestation of the abstract concept of voltage?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Karate Bastard posted:

So uh. What's going on here? That looks like some serious high voltage wiring, that goes nowhere? Does it terminate onto that inch thick plate steel and bolts linker arm assembly looking thing? Is he walking on a physical manifestation of the abstract concept of voltage?

That assembly is what holds the power line up, whoever's holding the camera looks to be sitting on the tower.

There should be an extra line going from the actual lines at the other end of the big insulator, round to the next bit of line on the other side of the tower. It might be not be installed yet, and installing that stuff might be the reason these guys are up there in the first place.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Isn't that a big no-no to be completely untethered like that? It gave me a chill, but maybe that's just fine for the crazy folks who go up there in the first place.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They got a safety harness on. It’d probably be a pain in the rear end to haul yourself back up if you did fall though. Hope you’re getting paid good!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nocheez posted:

Isn't that a big no-no to be completely untethered like that? It gave me a chill, but maybe that's just fine for the crazy folks who go up there in the first place.

What, pray tell, should be he tethered to?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mr. Nice! posted:

What, pray tell, should be he tethered to?

It's tethers all the way down.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Wonder what the training for this job looks like...I mean is Ninja Warrior just a job interview?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
He is tethered at the start, and at the end - if he falls off, the safety line that's looped underneath the transmission line will catch him.

When he disconnects the safety line and then reconnects it on the other side, he is briefly not connected. That's pretty sketch, ideally he'd have two safety lines so he can connect one before disconnecting the other, and always have one attached in case of a sudden gust of wind or something.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
he's tethered to the same thing spiderman swings off of thats always just out of frame

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's 100% tie off vs tie off. 100% tie off means you have two tethers you can use to always be tied off, even if you need to transfer between multiple tie off points.

Tie off means you are tied off at all times except transferring.

Tie off survives because there's concern about cognitive load and administrative adherence when doing 100% tie off in certain scenarios where you need to constantly transfer. The most generally agreed on scenario is ladder climbing. It's such a pain people are bound to make mistakes following 100% procedure on a ladder and in a list of preferences it's looking like ladder specific arrest systems (even just barrels or ideally fancy tie off systems of ratchets, catches, special rails etc.) > free climbing = 100% tie off.

Horizontal traversal seems like a pretty home run case for 100% so uhh yeah, a bit of extra risk there. May be in policy as tie off ebbs and flows in and out of state of the art for specific types of work or traversal.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I did a zipline course years ago in Daytona that involved a ton of obstacles like hanging platforms to jump between, rope swings into climbing nets, tightropes, etc. between ziplines. You had two clips to let you stay tied off while transferring between them, and it's very easy when you're exhausted to just unclip both without thinking and be left standing on the edge of a tree.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/news/2022/02/06/royal-park-bridge-closed-traffic-after-bicyclists-deadly-fall/6685145001/

quote:

A woman fell to her death Sunday afternoon from the Royal Park Bridge connecting Palm Beach to downtown West Palm Beach when the drawbridge began opening before she could move off its moveable span, police said.

West Palm Beach police say the woman was walking off the bridge with a bicycle and was within 10 feet of the barrier arms that halt traffic when the drawbridge started to rise, sending her careening into an open chasm.

A man standing on the other side of the barrier arms grabbed her as she fell but could not sustain her grip, police said. She plummeted more than 50 feet.
Florida's stand your ground law might have some loopholes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nocheez posted:

Read that as "unearthed". Hell yeah I'd like to be unearthed in those conditions. Sign me the gently caress up for whatever is the voltage potential du jour sir, yes please!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

Horizontal traversal seems like a pretty home run case for 100% so uhh yeah, a bit of extra risk there. May be in policy as tie off ebbs and flows in and out of state of the art for specific types of work or traversal.

They can say what they want about having sure feet and great balance, but I’m concerned about the wind picking up.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oh good lord, someone couldn't hold on. The nightmares, Jesus

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

If anyone is curious how this is supposed to work, here's Tom Scott getting to operate Tower Bridge and joking about opening it with some slow moving pedestrians still on the bridge. The link should go to the lift operation, but the tour before it is neat too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iitXhgif_lo&t=283s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Update on that Italian guy who set himself on fire:

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-142875864206

He wasn't protesting vax mandates.
He was vaccinated.
He's still employed. Which means he's still alive. So that's surprising.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just a science experiment gone wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I know that bridge. It opens pretty slowly and there's a ton of visual signs (like the barriers being down) as to when it's going to open. The only way I could imagine it not being a barrier jump and run is if the operators just blindly hit the buttons as she was in the middle of crossing.