Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

On the off chance that anyone has ever swapped in a pair of Bosch BC1114s on their rear brakes, did yours come with only one squealer pad, or two? Trying to get a straight answer, but it's the weekend. (2013 impreza hatchback)

I don't know that model in particular, but things including Bosch pads typically only come with one. PER SIDE. Are you saying you got 3 regular pads and one with an indicator on it? If so, your box is hosed up. If you got 2 regular and 2 with indicators that's exactly what I would expect for a one-axle kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Developing and maintaining 2 different styles of transmission to support a market that's drying up seems silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja86PRHS2sg

You’d think it’d be more refined if they decided on one transmission.

Can they steal something from denso/Toyota that doesn’t hunt like a broken 90s mopar despite not even having gears.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Toe Rag posted:

They could do EyeSight with a manual, though, right? The throttle and brakes are still DBW. It seems to me it would be trivial to just include a gear ratio map the system could reference to issue warnings (shift up/down!) or disable itself. But I don't necessarily know anything. And Subaru is probably very lazy.

that’s something that Honda or Mazda would do

Subaru is a lot of things, but they’re no Honda

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They are a Toyota though and the manual transmission Corolla appears to have “Toyota safety sense” excepting the words “full speed range” in front of dynamic radar cruise control and whatever “lane tracing assist” is. Both variants have lane departure assist and pre collision braking.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Mazda and, I think, Honda auto-cruise will do stop+go and ping you when the car wants you to actuate the clutch and up/downshift

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wasabi the J posted:

Developing and maintaining 2 different styles of transmission to support a market that's drying up seems silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja86PRHS2sg

There is so much absolute crap in that video I don't know where to even begin. gently caress him and gently caress CVT's

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

You’d think it’d be more refined if they decided on one transmission.

Can they steal something from denso/Toyota that doesn’t hunt like a broken 90s mopar despite not even having gears.

They should just give up and ask Aisin for a traditional autobox that isn't garbage. They've been providing those to Toyota for ages. Hell, the one in the first gen BRZ/86 is *good*. Decent gearing, responsive shifts, and a deep enough overdrive to enable good fuel economy numbers.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
hey - I've got a Company23 ball joint removal tool, item 532. Used it when I serviced the ball joints on my 2009 Legacy a few years ago, and during the process the internal threads of the tool that screws onto the ball joint got cross-threaded and buggered up. I don't have tools or inclination to try and re-cut the threads. If anyone would like this tool for free minus cost of shipping I have no need for it - send me a DM if interested

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/m_mqHAFbBgQ

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ok Comboomer posted:

that’s something that Honda or Mazda would do

Subaru is a lot of things, but they’re no Honda

why not have both

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

why not have both

:eyepop:

Is the K series lighter than the FA?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
yes, the swap saves somewhere around 100lb with like for like accessories

I'll post scales of before and after once I'm done, but the car I'm swapping has a Harrop supercharger kit that adds something like 75lb on top of stock as-is. Car weighs 2830lb as it currently sits with about 8gal of E85, split is 56:44 F/R.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 7, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

I don't know that model in particular, but things including Bosch pads typically only come with one. PER SIDE. Are you saying you got 3 regular pads and one with an indicator on it? If so, your box is hosed up. If you got 2 regular and 2 with indicators that's exactly what I would expect for a one-axle kit.

Per Bosch Automotive phone technical support: This is correct. This SKU only comes with a single squealer pad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Per Bosch Automotive phone technical support: This is correct. This SKU only comes with a single squealer pad.

What the hell? They must have saved a whole $0.15 there.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Motronic posted:

What the hell? They must have saved a whole $0.15 there.

I'm sure that *ze germans* think you don't even need the one because your strict maintenence program would identify worn out brake pads before they were needed anyways.

On the other hand, I did just get to panic stop test them not five minutes ago and they did keep me from turning a three car pile-up into four, so I guess I'll keep 'em for a bit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There is so much absolute crap in that video I don't know where to even begin. gently caress him and gently caress CVT's

The ICE is dying and if you wanna choose gears you can always buy a bike :shrug:

Sorry, half joking, but really it really just seems like we're living through a huge shift in available tech to which we're attached emotionally, which I get as someone who loves red meat but realized it's killing everything.

Guess the cows weren't too pleased either...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wasabi the J posted:

The ICE is dying and if you wanna choose gears you can always buy a bike :shrug:

I actually think that EV's ending gearboxes is one of the best things esp as that's the end of traditional autos / CVT's. EV's can give you better than manual driveline response to pedal play so bring that on!

I'm going to argue manuals are better than other transmission choices (and CVT's should never have been considered for cars) but other than having fun with a heel / toe downshift, EV's have got every other argument point won straight out of the box.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
There’s no technical reason why you can’t build an EV with a drive-by-wire system that happens to talk to a third pedal+stick, or to paddles, or to a flight stick, or to whatever control scheme you want to dream up. You can add in haptic feedback and rev noise too.

At a certain point of abstraction, it’s simply a means of a driver communicating with their vehicle.

It’s no different to us laying out computer keyboards like typewriters because it’s what we’re used to.

Barring the regulatory side of things, it should be dramatically easier to give hobbyists the exact experience they want in an EV future, because so much that depended on materials and physical engineering constraints is now in the realm of software.

My dream EV is a car with three pedals, a stick, and flappy paddles—with customizable and selectable profile modes. Something akin to a modern digital modeling/profiling guitar amp, like a Kemper but as a car.

Feel like driving something analog and RWD today? Punch it in. Want to relax on your wet drive home? Put it in AWD/full auto.

Even better—with all of the extra power on tap with an EV, you could do poo poo like set up “car profiles” that mimic the feel and behavior of classic drivers’ cars.

A 4000 lb twin-motor EV will never be as light as something like a Miata or WRX, but with ~700 HP on tap, instant torque, and fancy computerized vector control, you can probably go a long way toward making it feel like one to the driver.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Agreed with CAT INTERCEPTOR, if range isn't a concern for a vehicle I can't see a downside to EV. That said I'll stick with manual as much as I can until then, and I'll probably hang on to my ICE cars longer than most people and then buy used. My average co2 per year according to fueleconomy.gov is about 20% of that of making a new car in 2010, not sure if there are newer estimates, and of course the materials used in vehicles are finite and I assume there's an environmental cost associated with crushing a car.

Also this lets me be a cheapass as well as feeling good about my environmental habits.

E: Random thought, I wonder what the energy / emissions cost of converting an existing vehicle to EV with something like the GM E-Crate is compared to building a new vehicle.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 9, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

There’s no technical reason why you can’t build an EV with a drive-by-wire system that happens to talk to a third pedal+stick, or to paddles, or to a flight stick, or to whatever control scheme you want to dream up. You can add in haptic feedback and rev noise too.

CVTs should be controlled by a lever like a variable pitch propeller.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

They should just give up and ask Aisin for a traditional autobox that isn't garbage. They've been providing those to Toyota for ages. Hell, the one in the first gen BRZ/86 is *good*. Decent gearing, responsive shifts, and a deep enough overdrive to enable good fuel economy numbers.

Funny you should mention Toyota. Well, considering how badly they dropped the ball with the transition to full electric that "CVT With A Launch Gear" is probably going to be their last greatest automatic until they finally stop lobbying lawmakers to show down the inevitable electrification.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I actually think that EV's ending gearboxes is one of the best things esp as that's the end of traditional autos / CVT's. EV's can give you better than manual driveline response to pedal play so bring that on!

I'm going to argue manuals are better than other transmission choices (and CVT's should never have been considered for cars) but other than having fun with a heel / toe downshift, EV's have got every other argument point won straight out of the box.

Do EV drivetrains have any character? It seems like they'd all be anonymous power units, their only defining trait being their power relative to one another. I get compared to a typical ICE they feel like torque monsters but imagine ICE is dead and gone. What makes one stand out from another, or are they not really that far along enough in their development yet to really pass judgement?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Do EV drivetrains have any character? It seems like they'd all be anonymous power units, their only defining trait being their power relative to one another. I get compared to a typical ICE they feel like torque monsters but imagine ICE is dead and gone. What makes one stand out from another, or are they not really that far along enough in their development yet to really pass judgement?

not to reiterate a post I just made, but herein lies the importance of stuff like tuning/programming to the overall character of an EV

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I'm going to hold onto the Legacy GT until I can get a reasonable EV replacement that costs $25k or less. Ideally something Crosstrek or Outback sized, 300 miles of range, etc. Until then, it'll hopefully just cost me fuel and routine maintenance for the next few years since almost all the mechanicals are new or rebuilt now.

My wife would be the ideal EV user, since she's only got a 3-4 mile commute nowadays. But her Crosstrek is still in great shape with 195k mikes, so hopefully it'll also keep going for at least another 4-5 years. Maybe by then I can talk her into a Solterra, depending how they hold up for the first couple years after launch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm stuck with my gas car until someone comes up with a way to charge on the street, a block away from my house because it's too much to expect to be able to park in front of my own place, that doesn't involve someone cutting the wire in the middle of the night for scrap copper.

We'd better get some good EVs with gas range extenders before 2030.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I came home in a slushy snowstorm today in my ‘19 Impreza with the cvt, and after shifting the car to park and hitting the push stop I realized that the car was actually stuck in drive and wouldn’t completely shut off (the engine stopped but it was in the polite “please shift to park” idle mode where it still thinks its on).

The little indicator next to the shifter never leaves drive (although it will switch between D and M if i flip it side to side), and the car does roll if the parking brake is off and the shift is locked in park (because the shift lock does work still!), so it sure seems to be actually stuck in drive.

Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes didn’t help and all my brake lights are working, so does anyone have some advice for which relays/fuses/solenoids I should look at tomorrow, assuming something didn’t just freeze up from the slush and it works fine tomorrow when it warms up? The internet is full of “cant shift out if park” problems, but not so much “cant shift out of drive” issues.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There should be mechanical linkage running from under the shifter to the CVT. I would check that. The linkage should run to a lever on the CVT that you can manipulate by hand but not in a convenient manner to actually drive it right now, but you could shift it to park, from drive would be 3 clicks. If it stops firm after one click, go the other way.

So either tearing apart the console, putting it on stands and reaching around underneath to find the linkage, or having gangly enough arms to find it from the top.

Are you still under warranty or has that shipped sailed? It could be the shifter assembly itself, ebay has them around $125-150.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've got a torn inner tie rod / power steering rack boot on my '99 Impreza. Is this something where I could spray the internals out with something and replace the boot in place somehow or do I have to pull the whole rack and pinion? The power steering still works, I just have to throw a few ounces of power steering fluid in once in a while.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There should be mechanical linkage running from under the shifter to the CVT. I would check that. The linkage should run to a lever on the CVT that you can manipulate by hand but not in a convenient manner to actually drive it right now, but you could shift it to park, from drive would be 3 clicks. If it stops firm after one click, go the other way.

So either tearing apart the console, putting it on stands and reaching around underneath to find the linkage, or having gangly enough arms to find it from the top.

Are you still under warranty or has that shipped sailed? It could be the shifter assembly itself, ebay has them around $125-150.

Yup, that's right, and since it's just an impreza even my not so gangly arms was able to reach where it popped off the lever:

Guess the retaining pin came off (or wasn't installed at some point in the past), but that's a cheap enough replacement.

Thanks!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Excellent, glad it wound up being a pretty easy fix.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Which one of you is this

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What wiper blades (front and back) would ya'll recommend for a 2018 Crosstrek? I bought some at Costco and apparently they didn't have the right connector or adapters. I don't like the stock/Subaru ones because they never seemed to work that well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
PIAAs all around, cut a refill down to size for the rear because they don't make 'em for my Impreza hatch.

But it seems like they're phasing conventional blades out in favor of beam blades all around and I hate those regardless of the manufacturer. Was cheaper for me to buy entirely new blades, with arms and everything, than just the inserts, that's where supply is getting to.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Picked up a 21 outback touring XT. They are totally cool lil wagons that are good for family gettin and driving around with big ol dogs and stuff right? Anything I should look out for? I am not planning on doing xxxtreme off roading since I have my land cruiser for that. All the reviews online made it seem like its a fairly non offensive utility vehicle thats reliable. The 450 mile drive over the weekend we took it on felt great, good power, and really really comfortable with about 5x the mpg the cruiser gets. I have another 4 days to see if I really like it or not before I cant return it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Aren't there mileage limits on those return within a week deals? I seem to remember there being like, 300 mile limits when I saw those ads.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Aren't there mileage limits on those return within a week deals? I seem to remember there being like, 300 mile limits when I saw those ads.

Carvana had 400 miles base and then $1 per every mile after. I figure if I dont like it I’ll be out a few hundred rather than 40k+.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

What are good online part sellers for Subaru parts? Equivalents for like FCP Euro or IPD. I know Rock Auto, any others?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ultrabay2000 posted:

What are good online part sellers for Subaru parts? Equivalents for like FCP Euro or IPD. I know Rock Auto, any others?

https://www.subarupartsdeal.com is usually the cheapest for OEM parts. If you need something quick, you can look up the part number on parts.Subaru.com and have your local dealer order it for you.

For non-OEM stuff, Rock Auto or Advance/Autozone if you need right away.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What wiper blades (front and back) would ya'll recommend for a 2018 Crosstrek? I bought some at Costco and apparently they didn't have the right connector or adapters. I don't like the stock/Subaru ones because they never seemed to work that well.

Bosch Invision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Tenchrono posted:

Picked up a 21 outback touring XT. They are totally cool lil wagons that are good for family gettin and driving around with big ol dogs and stuff right? Anything I should look out for? I am not planning on doing xxxtreme off roading since I have my land cruiser for that. All the reviews online made it seem like its a fairly non offensive utility vehicle thats reliable. The 450 mile drive over the weekend we took it on felt great, good power, and really really comfortable with about 5x the mpg the cruiser gets. I have another 4 days to see if I really like it or not before I cant return it.

I’m not sure if it’s still the case in the 6th generation, but installing a 19mm rear sway bar in my ‘17 improved the handling a lot. It’s flatter in turns and gives me a bit more confidence when hauling rear end around entrance ramps.