Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

pentyne posted:

They're also complete poo poo at their job if they wait till near the end of the exam to scream at the person and swipe it.

if only there was some reasonable middle ground that didn't involve swiping someone's poo poo, potentially breaking it, or yelling.

what a utopia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Motronic posted:

How do you have a line long enough to put it on a desk? Why do you need to take it off of your body/waistband when you can control it with your phone? Why are you trying to control it at all? The point of this device is to manage all of that. There are a lot of questions here and I don't feel like enough information has been provided. In fact it feels like a a lot of critical information has not been provided.

They did say they’d taken it off because they were getting a lot of low blood glucose alerts.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Human Tornada posted:

I love the "if it was an accident then it wasn't my fault" defense. When I was a high school a family friend walked through the sliding glass door of a rental property and refused to pay for it because "I thought it was open, why should I have to pay for something that wasn't my fault?".

Why didn’t they tape a man-shaped cutout made from black construction paper to the door so he would see the shadow and realize that there was something solid there?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

1. America is a shithole.

2. What proof do you have? If you've got actual hard evidence like video/audio and not just hearsay from classmates, maybe. Otherwise it's your word versus theirs and administration ain't gonna give a gently caress unless they really think you could rake them over the coals. Can you? If you have to ask you probably can't.

You are very wrong on this one

If that kid is at a legitimate institution and files a complaint the instructor is in real trouble.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
In the comments it gets worse because the student had informed the professor about their diabetes and had confrontations with them in the past about accomodations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

killerwhat posted:

I very much doubt that he’s been called “worse names than bitch” in his professional career. There’s no way anyone’s ever made gendered insults at him.

Also, let’s say he really has been called worse. That’s not a defence of his actions, it’s an indictment of his past employers.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Motronic posted:

You understand I'm not blaming a victim here, I'm saying the story is full of holes so it makes little sense and is fake. Or I guess you didn't understand that at all.

FWIW, it's really obvious you don't know poo poo about what you're talking about so it could be that your ignorant rear end questions make it look like you're victim blaming :shrug:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's a difference between saying "story sounds fake" and saying "seems like OP was asking for it"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Also lol you woke up part of my brain with that phrase for one of the funniest posts I can remember.

I was fired for taking initiative

Reminds me of the assistant who saw that their boss was going to a conference and decided to "take initiative" and add themselves to the roster after being told they couldn't go. They get there and find out that it is a thing for top level executives and that their boss going was an edge case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah you can’t change your argument and be smug.

It’s one or the other

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Scags McDouglas posted:

My dream in life is to experience that one time and then tell the server "I'm paying the whole bill. Your tip goes up 5 dollars every time you insult my friend here"

"And a good spill is worth $20."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

In the comments it gets worse because the student had informed the professor about their diabetes and had confrontations with them in the past about accomodations.

somewhere an ADA lawyer just got harder than he's ever gotten before

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of the assistant who saw that their boss was going to a conference and decided to "take initiative" and add themselves to the roster after being told they couldn't go. They get there and find out that it is a thing for top level executives and that their boss going was an edge case.

I've got to find that because it was some serious poo poo, like the OP offered to help the person in charge of registering people and just added his name to the list. Something like computer access fraud, and the overall tone of the story made it seem like it definitely wasn't the first incredible overreach by that person.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Rescue Toaster posted:

Easiest post we'll have all day I think.

Lol I knew when I read that it would be good but the story was so wild I blanked that part out

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

the holy poopacy posted:

The confrontation was inevitable and could have been avoided if she had made the professor aware of her condition (she also could have gotten accommodations to bring a snack into the exam.) But it's college, you don't just snatch a student's cell phone and tell them their parents can pick it up from the principal's office at the end of the day.

In the comments, it says the professor was aware of her condition and had yelled at her for eating a snack in class previously.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

i vomit kittens posted:

Can I sue a teacher for possibly screwing me out of billions?

I remember drawing a picture of heelies before they were invented give me money

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

There's a difference between saying "story sounds fake" and saying "seems like OP was asking for it"

Not here. When there isn't enough other drama going on the goons turn on each other.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For Telling My Husband to Cut His Daughter Off Financially?

quote:

I 32f married my husband Michael 58 , eight years ago. I didn't marry him for money, I wasn't groomed - I just love him.

His daughter Stella 30 has made it clear she doesn't accept our relationship and doesn't see me as a parental figure and barely acknowledges me as family. Her 2 brothers have always been welcoming to me for the most part but she seems to hate me for reasons I truly cannot understand. I always hoped she'd eventually come around and I've made efforts but she's determined not to like me.

Stella has talked about getting married in the past. She's been dating and living with Cal, her boyfriend, for 6 years. When she did discuss a wedding ceremony with us her father made it clear that he wanted me to be apart of the wedding and that he wanted both of us to give her away and have a dance with her. She said no and he asked if I'd at least be allowed to go dress shopping with her and help with the tiny details. I won't lie, I was looking forward to the experience since Michael has had all his kids and I'm not looking to have any myself. She said no and Michael told her that if she wasn't willing to compromise he wasn't willing to help financially with the wedding. She said it was "whatever" and that it wasn't going to be a possibility for a very long time. This was last year in August.

She came to visit in January and told us very nonchalantly was married. She said that her and Cal had gone to the courthouse and gotten married THAT DAY. Michael was heartbroken and asked why she didn't at the very least invite him to the courthouse. She told him that she wasn't going to get married on his terms. She said she knew that if she told him he'd A)try to convince her to have a wedding or B) ask that I be allowed to come. She told us she was expecting as well and left. Michael is distraught as his sons are already married and childfree and he didn't get to be a part of those weddings and he had hoped to share this experience of being the father of the bride. He's worried she won't let him be a part of his grandchildren's life because she can't accept me.

I suggested he cut her off financially since she's so unable to accept that I'm a part of this family and clearly won't have anything to do with him. He's considering it and has discussed it with her. She called us and laughed at us, telling us she didn't need our money and told her father he's blown any chance to be in her babies life. He's been stressed ever since and hasn't spoken much about the situation. I think I royally hosed up telling him to cut her off as I was honestly speaking in anger.

hmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMM

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

therobit posted:

Why didn’t they tape a man-shaped cutout made from black construction paper to the door so he would see the shadow and realize that there was something solid there?

To but actually this, safety decals on glass are there to prevent exactly that scenario and are pretty standard on commercial installations.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

mind the walrus posted:

1. America is a shithole.

2. What proof do you have? If you've got actual hard evidence like video/audio and not just hearsay from classmates, maybe. Otherwise it's your word versus theirs and administration ain't gonna give a gently caress unless they really think you could rake them over the coals. Can you? If you have to ask you probably can't.

I work at a university, and I can tell you that here at least, this would be a big loving deal. They would be willing to pay to make this go away if she moves it up the ladder.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Mx. posted:

quote:

... but she seems to hate me for reasons I truly cannot understand...

I'm going to guess you were lovely to her when you were both in high school together.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Will someone fall in love with me again? Still hurt over last relationship.

quote:

I am 18 years old. I will preface this entire post by saying a few things. For one, in summer 2021, I was not a great boyfriend. I regret doing things, something’s I regret saying, and I often wish I could turn back the clocks and try it again. I was mentally in a bad headspace. I became selfish and arrogant. I had my self-interest in mind and didn’t realize I was kicking my girlfriend to the curb. I didn’t always give her the attention she needed and deserved. There are a lot of things I could’ve done better. But there are also many things I could’ve done worse too. One thing I never was was an abuser or a cheater. There were times when interest was made known to me, and despite the devil on my shoulder, I never did anything with anyone.

Let’s call her Delilah. Delilah and I started dating in February of 2020. We went through a lot of crazy poo poo together regarding external issues. This includes family intrusion, quarantine, and the loss of family. I won’t detail those topics, but they were very significant. Despite these things, we never had problems. The worst thing ever could’ve happened to me, and as long as I knew I had Delilah’s heart, I could rest easy at night.

This began to change at the end of May. My mind began to twist. College was just around the corner, and suddenly the future seemed close. Delilah and I decided to do a production of Grease at a local community theatre. My dream was to play Danny in this show; after all, it’s my favorite show. I went to the audition and messed up badly, but Delilah is extraordinarily talented, and she was cast as Sandy. I was cast in the ensemble. My immediate reaction to her casting was anger. Instead of being proud, I made her feel bad that she got a part and I didn’t. This was wrong. This was the beginning of the end.

Grease began, and it was going smoothly. I met the cast, and they seemed friendly, and everyone got along. Although my selfish intent slowly started to creep in towards the middle of June. Instead of tending to Delilah, I would interact further with my new friends. Oftentimes, leaving her by herself. There was a girl in the cast who showed interest in me. Delilah had a problem with it, but instead of shooting the whole thing down, I mocked it up to her being far too overprotective. This made me start to question my love for her. After a while, I concluded I was falling out of love with Delilah.

In July, we performed Grease, and it went great. The middle of August rolls around, and this is where things begin to change. I start noticing Delilah’s behavior towards me shifting. She makes an ultimatum to me that either I put in more effort with our relationship, or we break up. This was a scary proposition. All at once, it’s like my whole house fell on top of me. All at once, it felt like I was losing Delilah. Something I thought would never happen, no matter how much I thought I was falling out of love with her.

I brought to her attention the idea of a break. We go to college, and we still talk and are close, but take some time to see if we can make it work while acclimating to school. We eventually agreed on this idea and decided to do that. It is important to mention that we detailed in the break that we could show interest in others.

The days following the decision of our break were an absolute mess for me. I did nothing but cry and text her paragraphs and paragraphs. Suddenly, it’s like the knowledge that I could lose her was imminent, and it felt like she was already falling away. Delilah and I go off to college, me staying in New Jersey and her going off to Pennsylvania. We have a conversation before we go, saying we still love each other and that we will make it work. Two weeks into school, I noticed a significant change. She begins to ignore me for days. Her messages become passive-aggressive, almost arrogant. I finally say to her.

“Delilah, it honestly feels like you don’t even like me anymore. Even as a person.”

We have a phone call. We decide we’re breaking up.

A week later, I found out that Delilah was already talking to the guy who played Danny in Grease while we were on our break. Let’s call him Roger for fun. My heart broke in half. The worst part is that while we were breaking up, I asked if there were any external reasons, other guys, and whatnot. She told me no. I even ASKED about Roger. I was suspicious about him all summer. I didn’t love his vibe, and he always acted weird around me. It turned out he liked Delilah all summer. They even kissed a bunch on stage as Danny and Sandy in Grease, and I just had to watch.

I still spoke to Delilah for a month after that. Countless calls of me crying, asking questions, confusion and anger. The more the days went on, the more Delilah and Roger's relationship moved forward. Delilah and I finally decided in the middle of October that for the betterment of both of us that we should stop talking. I haven’t spoken to her since.

They are now dating and likely have been for a little while. The months have been hard on me. The holidays were extremely difficult. I’ve been doing better lately but have my moments still. I still see their posts or pictures together and it hurts. Our anniversary is coming up in 4 days, and I don’t want it to worsen. Sometimes it feels like I’ll never feel a love like hers again. It was so pure because we were both each other's first loves. I’m sure there is hope out there and other girls, but I’m just scared I won’t be happy again. It feels like I’m the unwritten part of the story. The negligent boyfriend that got “cheated” on for the romanticism of it. I don’t want to be known as a bad guy. Can anyone help?

tl;dr

I’m hurt over the handling of my relationship with my ex girlfriend. I could use some help.

Oh to be a teenager again. Theater kids gonna theater kid.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mx. posted:

hmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMM

If you feel the need to state "I wasn't groomed" in the second sentence of your story.... :yikeseroo:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Mx. posted:

Michael is distraught as his sons are already married and childfree and he didn't get to be a part of those weddings and he had hoped to share this experience of being the father of the bride.

God I desperately need to know what's underneath this buried lede.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
edit: removed my post of it cause that's so much better with the spoiler and I don't wanna ruin anyone's fun

olylifter fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 7, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for kicking my mom out of my house because of how she reacted to her partner not liking my wife's chili?

quote:

My mom and I have just come off of a 3 year estrangement. Her and my wife hated each other from day one, just really clashed and my mom was going through some stuff in her personal life and acting out. We mutually agreed it wasn't fixable and we should go our separate ways.

I recently reconnected with her at a party and told her that I wanted to try and fix things. My wife supported this. My mom is with someone I'll call "Rob" I'm pretty sure they are engaged but to be honest not 100% sure. We've seen my mom a couple of times since reconnecting and I can tell she is really trying. She seems extremely anxious and too nervous to talk, so we are taking it really slow, but I do believe that is her trying.

Recently we invited my mom and Rob over. My wife was making chili in the crock pot and it was done but we weren't ready to eat. She had some tortilla chips and said that she likes dipping it in the chili and invited them to have some while we waited. rob took some and gagged. I don't think he did it on purpose and he seemed embarrassed, but my wife's chili is very sweet. She uses maple syrup, chocolate powder, cinnamon, and brown sugar. My mom laughed which upset my wife because has always been smug about not thinking my wife is a good cook.

I could see my wife getting annoyed and snapped at my mom. Rob looked kind of ill and excused himself. My mom stood there for a minute in silence and then bolted after him and started banging on the bathroom door and demanding to be let in. He was ignoring her and she started freaking out and said she wanted to be hugged (she has some anxiety and PTSD related stuff and he is her comfort person) Just as I got to the door to tell her to stop banging Rob let her in and I heard their conversation. Rob was saying they had to get out of here because he can't eat that chili. My mom was kind of teasing him about aww you didn't like it and telling him she served it with rice with raisins and sugar and a chocolate sauce (a lie), and he said it tasted like dog food with sugar and he was going to have nightmares.

I saw red and my mom was laughing. It just brought me back to how smug she used to be and how she looked down on us. When they came out I told her to leave. My mom got really quiet again and said it was creepy that I was standing outside of the bathroom door. She said she's been trying and she feels I'm looking for reasons to hate her. I told her to just go because I was too emotional to talk to her. She left willingly but Rob told me I can't just nitpick and kick her out and then think she is going to want to continue to put work into this relationship.

quote:

All I got from this is the most jacked up chili recipe ever

bonus, why does your mum hate your wife?

quote:

She tried to catfish her, which didn't work, but she sent flowers on Valentines day when she knew my mom was struggling with being alone after a breakup. I get it was pretty cruel, but my mom was pretty cruel as well and had gone out of her way to bully and belittle my wife to make herself feel better

e: thank you olylifter for letting me steal your posting glory

Mx. fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 7, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That ingredient list is amazing. I'm suddenly reminded of that quote from this thread: "To explain their actions, take whatever mental image you have of the people in this story, and double their weight".

I've had chocolate porters before, have a huge sweet tooth, and enjoy Moroccan/etc cooking where traditionally sweet things like raisins and cinnamon are put with meats. But that chilli...

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I can't imagine how vile that "chili" must have been.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cythereal posted:

Will someone fall in love with me again? Still hurt over last relationship.

Oh to be a teenager again. Theater kids gonna theater kid.

This will all be inexplicably fixed up by her showing up to meet him in a leather jacket and a poofy hairdo.
He may have to win a drag race at some point though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I hope he meant cocoa powder. I've made a couple of recipes for meat-and-gravy dishes that use cocoa powder, possibly even a chili, but like a tablespoon at most.

She's not using it subtly, is she?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Elissimpark posted:

I hope he meant cocoa powder. I've made a couple of recipes for meat-and-gravy dishes that use cocoa powder, possibly even a chili, but like a tablespoon at most.

She's not using it subtly, is she?

Yeah, and even maple syrup and brown sugar can add some depth to the flavor of the chili, but they're all supposed to be added in tiny amounts. If its actually sweet, just :barf:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
those are all things I've had in chili, but not together, and only in small quantities as a counterpoint to spicy chili

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

pentyne posted:

I've got to find that because it was some serious poo poo, like the OP offered to help the person in charge of registering people and just added his name to the list. Something like computer access fraud, and the overall tone of the story made it seem like it definitely wasn't the first incredible overreach by that person.

Here it is:

quote:

I started working at my job eight months ago, not long after I completed college (thanks in part to your write-ups about cover letters, resumes, interview questions and job searching). A few months ago in the elevator, my manager’s manager and someone from upper management in another department were talking about an upcoming conference. The idea of the conference sounded interesting and at our next departmental meeting I asked my manager’s manager about being able to attend the conference. She said the company couldn’t send me to this conference.

I really wanted to go. This was for several reasons: (1) what I heard about the conference in the elevator sounded interesting, (2) I was trying to show initiative, and (3) It would be good for my career to attend something like that. I was bummed out about the company not being able to send me.

But a week later I was asked to assist someone from a different department. He had a broken foot and needed help carrying paperwork and laptops up to one of the meeting rooms on another floor. He told me he was swamped with trying to get everything ready for the meeting on top of signing up people for the conference and making all the arrangements. I offered to do all the conference so he could get the meeting set up.

I signed myself up for the conference along with everyone else. But I only signed up as an attendee from my company. I paid for the conference fee, the airline tickets, and the hotel room out of my own pocket. I didn’t charge anything to the company for myself, even though all of the other attendees had everything paid for using a company credit card. I also booked vacation time so I could go.

I was excited to go to the conference. But when my manager’s manager saw me there the first day, she was upset at seeing me there, even after I explained I had paid the sign-up fee and everything else out of my own pocket and had used my own vacation time. I admit now that I made a mistake because I didn’t know the conference was for directors and executive management in my industry, not for entry-level people with less than a year like me. My manager’s manager had to get special permission from the company to go because she isn’t a director yet but is next in line for a promotion when someone retires. After the conference organizers found out from my company that I am not in upper management, they asked me to leave and said my fee would be refunded.

I already paid for the hotel room and return flight, so I ended up staying there even though I couldn’t go to the conference. My first day back at work was my last one ever because I got fired. My manager’s manager was furious and so were her bosses. I know I messed up, but when I asked about going to the conference she didn’t say I couldn’t go; she only said the company couldn’t send me. I also had no idea it was a conference for upper management only. If I had known, I obviously would not have signed up, but she didn’t tell me and it wasn’t clear at registration.

I know I made a mistake and it was a huge embarrassment for the company when word of what I did got around the conference, but I never had any write-ups or trouble and I was a model employee. I don’t think it was a fireable offense and I was shocked they fired me. Did I mess up that badly or were they wrong? I want to know if there is anything I can do to fix this.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm reminded of that video of a woman making pasta salad using jars of mayo and handfuls of cheese that hardens arteries just by watching it. Can't seem to put together the right search words.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

I'm reminded of that video of a woman making pasta salad using jars of mayo and handfuls of cheese that hardens arteries just by watching it. Can't seem to put together the right search words.

Simply Sara

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Wanda's Macaroni Salad

https://youtu.be/u4zw99VsoMA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wakanda's Macaroni Salad video on the other hand is just them throwing that into the trash.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I hate it when my very adult girlfriend goes off to camp.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Barudak posted:

Wakanda's Macaroni Salad video on the other hand is just them throwing that into the trash.

So if you inherit that tulou, you just inherit your relative's part, right/ Not the whole thing? The concept is pretty rad. You need to get facial hair like the assassin in Master of the Flying Guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mx. posted:

AITA for kicking my mom out of my house because of how she reacted to her partner not liking my wife's chili?

bonus, why does your mum hate your wife?

e: thank you olylifter for letting me steal your posting glory

that ingredient list makes me think she heard about cincinatti chili mentioned off-hand once and did no further research into other ingredients, intended taste, that its a sauce and not something you eat on its own, or that people not from the ohio valley have a visceral hatred of it.