Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

oldpainless posted:

What would be interesting about the character of Nedry is if you removed the fact that he is

A: fat
B: messy/sloppy
C: played by Newman

There’s a good chance many people wouldn’t see him as a villain

Every time I see this forum talking about Nedry, it just reminds me that these fora are Jurassic Park and Radium should be played by Newman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

oldpainless posted:

What would be interesting about the character of Nedry is if you removed the fact that he is

In today's episode, Dennis Nedry's part will be played by Idris Elba.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

Watching Red Lights and this just happened

Edit: the dimming thing is because I paused the movie to angrily take screenshots
"∝" to "x"?

Considering it's usually used to mean "is proportional to" it's weird that it was used in the first place at all

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Feb 6, 2022

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Along those lines, has there ever been a Beauty and the Beast where the Beast wasn't furry or some large plush critter? I mean something that was more insect or like a rat would have far less chances of finding love than a big dog-bear mix. If the Beast was a prawn from District 9, he'd die a giant cockroach.

Could've picked a better example there. There are folks who want to gently caress the prawns from D9, and you can find them in both furry and non-furry circles!

Hell. Even in the movie there were prawn prostitutes iirc?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Could've picked a better example there. There are folks who want to gently caress the prawns from D9, and you can find them in both furry and non-furry circles!

Hell. Even in the movie there were prawn prostitutes iirc?

You know that if that ship showed up in the sky today there would be a demand for prawnstitutes out there tomorrow. People will gently caress anything.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a more interesting character in the movie. He's a cartoon billionaire rear end in a top hat in the book. Most of Gennaro's lines are his in the book.

Sure, but the whole point is that only a cartoonishly evil billionaire villain could possibly come up with something as hosed-up and twisted as resurrecting dinosaurs to use as entertainment for the rich. Hammond is basically that Spiderman villain going "But I don't want to cure cancer. I want to turn people into resurrect dinosaurs" (he even has a monologue to that effect in the book). The whole concept of Jurassic Park is supposed to be horrifying.

The movie kinda sweeps all of the satire under the carpet by making both Hammond and the park seem cool and awesome, while Chaos Theory and Denis Nedry are the villains for ruining everyone's fun.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FFT posted:

"∝" to "x"?

Considering it's usually used to mean "is proportional to" it's weird that it was used in the first place at all

It's just an x with sloppy handwriting.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SimonChris posted:

Sure, but the whole point is that only a cartoonishly evil billionaire villain could possibly come up with something as hosed-up and twisted as resurrecting dinosaurs to use as entertainment for the rich. Hammond is basically that Spiderman villain going "But I don't want to cure cancer. I want to turn people into resurrect dinosaurs" (he even has a monologue to that effect in the book). The whole concept of Jurassic Park is supposed to be horrifying.

The movie kinda sweeps all of the satire under the carpet by making both Hammond and the park seem cool and awesome, while Chaos Theory and Denis Nedry are the villains for ruining everyone's fun.

Resurrecting dinosaurs is cool and awesome though

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If our real life billionaires would sink their money into making dinosaurs instead of killing unions I probably wouldn't hate them as much. I would still hate them, just probably not as much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SimonChris posted:

I don't think Hammond is absolved or anything like that in the movie. The main characters all tell him it's a massively stupid and unsafe idea before they even take the park tour. And they make sure to tell you that the crazy chaos theory guy was right all along.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FFT posted:

"∝" to "x"?

Well, she was meaning to write an X. She just did it really sloppily in the zoomed in shot.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

credburn posted:

Well, she was meaning to write an X. She just did it really sloppily in the zoomed in shot.
Yeah I think they are just pointing out a continuity error.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Can we stop making movies set in the 17-1800s so dark? I don't mean in material, I mean just how dim the lighting always is. I guess it's realistic, but it bothers me the same way breaking bad just tinted everything yellow to indicate they were in mexico. I can't see anything and it makes it hard to even keep track of characters.

e: it's almost always accompanied by my biggest movie irritation where everyone whispers. Always cranking up the volume just to hear what they are saying, then your ears start to bleed when the music plays to transition to a new scene

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Feb 6, 2022

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Can we stop making movies set in the 17-1800s so dark? I don't mean in material, I mean just how dim the lighting always is. I guess it's realistic, but it bothers me the same way breaking bad just tinted everything yellow to indicate they were in mexico. I can't see anything and it makes it hard to even keep track of characters.

e: it's almost always accompanied by my biggest movie irritation where everyone whispers. Always cranking up the volume just to hear what they are saying, then your ears start to bleed when the music plays to transition to a new scene
D-dad?!?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Can we stop making movies set in the 17-1800s so dark? I don't mean in material, I mean just how dim the lighting always is. I guess it's realistic,

That's not even an excuse. As with all things, we need simply look to Lord of the Rings to see it done right

That's a scene set at night, in a rainstorm, without a single torch in sight, and you can see everything that's going on. Did anybody complain about that? Get up and walk out of the theatre because of how unrealistic the lighting is? No! We ate our loving popcorn and drank our loving sodas and didn't even notice that we'd had to piss for the last hour and a half because we all knew we were watching the best loving movie in history

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

That's not even an excuse. As with all things, we need simply look to Lord of the Rings to see it done right

That's a scene set at night, in a rainstorm, without a single torch in sight, and you can see everything that's going on. Did anybody complain about that? Get up and walk out of the theatre because of how unrealistic the lighting is? No! We ate our loving popcorn and drank our loving sodas and didn't even notice that we'd had to piss for the last hour and a half because we all knew we were watching the best loving movie in history

but doesn't this look better??

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 02:17 on Feb 7, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
How can there be a Buzz Lightyear movie? Buzz Lightyear is a *toy*. What, was the toy named for a real astronaut who traveled to other stars, but then civilization collapsed back into a Dark Age that was remarkably similar to mid-90s consumerism and the lost grandeur of that time is remembered only as an echo frozen in action figures? Or as humanity advanced, was a young child inspired by memories of the doll to model not only his life’s ambition but his physical appearance after the toy, and succeed beyond all belief?

Neither of these possibilities makes a lot of sense!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's the movie that the toy is merchandise for in-universe

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Buzz had a cartoon. iirc the opening was even a short cgi sequence of the Toy Story toys gathering for a watch party before the in universe cartoon opening played.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Has any movie or TV show found a way to display text on screen? It's always feels like they're flashed on screen for a second but I feel like it's important or why show it?

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Feb 7, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

skipping some pages to say Thank you, I am a big fan of BEASTLY and had not seen this :lol:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Gaunab posted:

Has any movie or TV show found a way to display text on screen? It's always feels like they're flashed on screen for a second but I feel like it's important or why show it?

I'm so confused by what you mean :confused:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

credburn posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

skipping some pages to say Thank you, I am a big fan of BEASTLY and had not seen this :lol:

SMH at somebody who hasn't watched every Jenny video dozens of times.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

flavor.flv posted:

I did notice the lighting in those scenes, which looked like they had huge spotlights positioned just out of sight behind the characters, because that's literally what they did.

I get why they did it, but it looks kinda odd and absolutely not like any kind of contemporary light source. It looks like a theater stage or a theme park ride decoration.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Feb 7, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oldpainless posted:

But Wayne Knight is the best

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KozmoNaut posted:

it looks kinda odd and absolutely not like any kind of contemporary light source.

"That's not what lighting looked like back then!"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

If our real life billionaires would sink their money into making dinosaurs instead of killing unions I probably wouldn't hate them as much. I would still hate them, just probably not as much.

Hammond built his park on an island in Costa Rica to get around unions and regulations and many local workers died as a result!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Baron von Eevl posted:

"That's not what lighting looked like back then!"

It looks like there's bright sunlight streaming out from the lower parts of the castle, due to the color temperature of the lights.

Spielberg does the same thing, lighting for dramatic effect, rather than realism.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks like there's bright sunlight streaming out from the lower parts of the castle, due to the color temperature of the lights.

Spielberg does the same thing, lighting for dramatic effect, rather than realism.

Next you're gonna tell me that futuristic starships don't have random bars of light hovering around everywhere.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Next you're gonna tell me that futuristic starships don't have random bars of light hovering around everywhere.

Look there are some nasty alien pathogens floating around out there, sterilizing UV lamps in all spaces are a necessity. Most ships get blown up before the crew gets blinded so it works out.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

credburn posted:

Like text messages characters receive on their phones.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gaunab posted:

Euphoria has a lot of texting and it works fine. You just have to pay as much attention as you would with subs.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Arrath posted:

Look there are some nasty alien pathogens floating around out there, sterilizing UV lamps in all spaces are a necessity. Most ships get blown up before the crew gets blinded so it works out.

Just deploy your luxury gay space communist sunglasses, comrade.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Yes this is indeed how movies work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KozmoNaut posted:

It's true, back when hobbits, elfs, dwarves,and wizards were locked in a battle with the evil sauron things didn't look like that. Mighty unrealistic!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think Hammond is absolved or anything like that in the movie. The main characters all tell him it's a massively stupid and unsafe idea before they even take the park tour. And they make sure to tell you that the crazy chaos theory guy was right all along.

Crichton ends the Jurassic Park second book with a speech about how maybe atoms aren't real, have you ever seen an atom? Like, with your eyes?

The entire thesis of the series (and a lot of his other books) is that science is bad and will kill us all. JP gets a pass because it's an incredible movie and dinosaurs are so awesome it buries the dumb message. I love the series but it was a hit in spite of Crichton, not because of him.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Not everybody is insane enough to use lenses designed for NASA telescopes for their movies.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

KozmoNaut posted:

I did notice the lighting in those scenes, which looked like they had huge spotlights positioned just out of sight behind the characters, because that's literally what they did.

I get why they did it, but it looks kinda odd and absolutely not like any kind of contemporary light source. It looks like a theater stage or a theme park ride decoration.

I can't remember what movie was watching recently but the night scenes literally had giant spotlights, like in the shots and it made me lol.

Do people have lovely tvs or watch movies on their phones or something? It's insanely rare that I watch a movie that's too dark to make out what's happening and then its usually a horror movie that's intentionally too dark to hide the lovely monster puppet/bad ghost cgi. I don't have a crazy high end tv or anything either but I usually do watch movies in a darkened room so maybe that helps?

Log082 posted:

Crichton ends the Jurassic Park second book with a speech about how maybe atoms aren't real, have you ever seen an atom? Like, with your eyes?

The entire thesis of the series (and a lot of his other books) is that science is bad and will kill us all. JP gets a pass because it's an incredible movie and dinosaurs are so awesome it buries the dumb message. I love the series but it was a hit in spite of Crichton, not because of him.

IIRC Crichton ended up as a climate change denier so, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Michael “the fightin” Crichton was a doctor and has bibliographies in many of his books. He had the number one movie, tv show, and book all in the same week. He was quite possibly the smartest man on the planet.