Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Disney has princesses the same way Bluebeard had wives.

so there's a brace of them in a meat locker behind a book case somewhere in the enchanted castle?

holy crap how do I remember anything about Bluebeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Srice posted:

Of all the streaming services out there these days it's my second favorite since it has so many great movies both new and old.

(Tho my favorite is Criterion Channel since in addition to having a great catalog they actually curate it)

Criterion is cool bc they have all kinds of hidden treasures on there... interview with Allende, Russian Soviet films, Pasolini films and interviews rotating thru... great stuff. I rewatched Sculptures by Sofu–Vita recently, it feels like sci-fi but it's just a tour of an art gallery, lots of great visuals

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

powerful av/post combo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

lmao

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Fleetwood posted:

Criterion is cool bc they have all kinds of hidden treasures on there... interview with Allende, Russian Soviet films, Pasolini films and interviews rotating thru... great stuff. I rewatched Sculptures by Sofu–Vita recently, it feels like sci-fi but it's just a tour of an art gallery, lots of great visuals

The “observations on film art” series is really good too, providing really simple analysis of certain technical aspects of classic films that a casual viewer usually wouldn’t notice. I especially liked the Battle of Algiers music breakdown.

Also unrelated but I saw the new PTA flick Licorice Pizza and it’s very funny + well shot. I didn’t realize the kid was Phillip Seymour Hoffmann’s son until afterwards and kept wondering why he had such strong PSH vibes the whole time lol.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"Getting some strong Hoff Baby vibes from this film."

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
tired: Jokerpilled
Wired: Joxerpilled

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

i loved all these stupid shows so much

Saturday afternoon was so tight, Sinbad into Xena into Hercules, then you just had to be bored until Star Trek DS9 and the Simpsons started a couple hours later

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

smarxist posted:

Saturday afternoon was so tight, Sinbad into Xena into Hercules, then you just had to be bored until Star Trek DS9 and the Simpsons started a couple hours later

man i havent thought of those in years, god drat. good poo poo

its kinda interesting i think that was the last time there was any sort of actual popular historical-set tv show that wasn't like tryhard prestige poo poo (like rome/got/deadwood). everything that isn't prestige poo poo is more or less all contemporary.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

smarxist posted:

that's when it's time for Mutant-X and a totinos party pizza :yum:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I'm UPN* it up!!!

*pronounced OOO-pin

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

its kinda interesting i think that was the last time there was any sort of actual popular historical-set tv show that wasn't like tryhard prestige poo poo (like rome/got/deadwood). everything that isn't prestige poo poo is more or less all contemporary.

Is Yellowstone and it's spin off "1883" prestige television? Just know it's a popular show currently airing.

"UPN" - looks off into the sky wistfully.

Dilbert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpivIYJFjd4

Cleopatra 2525
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ZRSwul7cE

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 04:06 on Feb 7, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is Yellowstone any good? I got like five eps into it and got bored with the entire plotline being 'the evil natives conspire against the poor innocent ranch owner who owns like the entire city' and a weird B plot about the sister being abused by their mom in a cartoonish way (I think...am I remembering right that as she was dying she forced the kid version of her to watch and told her 'this is your fault'?) but nobody seeming to care and just insulting her for being obviously mentally unstable because something something that means she's weak?

It's a chud rear end show isn't it?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

is Yellowstone any good? I got like five eps into it and got bored with the entire plotline being 'the evil natives conspire against the poor innocent ranch owner who owns like the entire city' and a weird B plot about the sister being abused by their mom in a cartoonish way (I think...am I remembering right that as she was dying she forced the kid version of her to watch and told her 'this is your fault'?) but nobody seeming to care and just insulting her for being obviously mentally unstable because something something that means she's weak?

its garbage. couldn't get thru the first episode

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just watch Warrior. It's a historical setting and it's got kung fu.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mantis42 posted:

Just watch Warrior. It's a historical setting and it's got kung fu.

Warrior loving owns

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yellowstone is boomer catnip.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

It's a cultural phenomenon

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1489413486811795459?s=20&t=GQpIQOLk4VnnkhqvVZBM6A

I will also probably never watch any of it. I haven't even watched that clip.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

xena was wild because it just did whatever it wanted. im pretty sure julius caesar crucifies xena in one episode.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my dad made fun of xena so much (he called her Xena Warrior BABE and thought he was so funny) but whatever I watched that garbage.

Gabriella was my girl.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

to be fair to dad, she IS a babe.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Has anyone noticed that a lot of idiot Crypto Bros are using the Big Short as ideological justification and masturbation material (a la Wolf of Wall Street)?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1489413486811795459?s=20&t=GQpIQOLk4VnnkhqvVZBM6A

Its only a matter of time until this boomer wish fulfillment poo poo turns into a barely ambulatory 85y/o chastising a graying 45y/o about how “they” can’t be singular or something.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Xena and Hercules were so bad that it made me angry whenever I tried to watch them. like these shows were made for me how come I don’t enjoy this UGH

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

thanks for blessing the thread with Ted Raimi

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the world lost the wrong kevin smith

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

Until this moment I thought the show was about Philip Sheridan taking the us cavalry to Yellowstone in a pseudo coup to protect the natural environment from evil bureaucrats who were working in concert with industrialists to despoil it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Lucy Lawless eventually went topless in Spartacus so, land of contrasts.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Um actually you can grow both quinoa and sorghum with no-till methods. Montana rancher destroyed.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Um actually you can grow both quinoa and sorghum with no-till methods. Montana rancher destroyed.

it's stupid argument anyway - you're not rounding up voles and snakes and rabbits, breeding them in captivity, and then killing their offspring to like fertilize the Quinoa

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

wow that clip is awful

also why the heck does so much right wing stuff think quinoa specifically is disgusting. they're wrong, it's good as hell.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a few months back citations needed covered some hallmark christmas movies and I learned one of them had a slam against quinoa too. it's hosed up!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Quinoa and soy/tofu are the only non-traditional plant foods they're aware of.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Very true! It's just so silly to me since quinoa is such a "normal" kind of food haha

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
hail seitan

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Srice posted:

wow that clip is awful

also why the heck does so much right wing stuff think quinoa specifically is disgusting. they're wrong, it's good as hell.

i made some vegan chili last weekend with quinoa, lentils, and beans and it was loving tasty

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i made some vegan chili last weekend with quinoa, lentils, and beans and it was loving tasty

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You gotta choose between that and eating the bugs.