Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Solutions. Credit yourself for the main idea, even if you didn't get the line

quote:

(1) white to move and win

Key idea: I've talked about the setup with the R on h1 and pawn on h2. The defending king needs to stay on a7/b7 otherwise white will play Ra1, where black playing Rxh7 is met with white playing Ra2+, which wins the rook. What white wants to do, then, is to stop black from playing Kb7.

Line: 1.Kb5 Rb4+ (Kb7 2. Rh7+, 3.Kxb6 and 4.Kxa5 will win easily) 2.Ka6 keeps black's king out of b7. White wins the race to queen: 2... Rxb6 3.h5 4.b5 h6 5.bxa4 6.h7 a3 7.Rc8+

quote:

(2) white to move and win

Key idea: white can guarantee the promotion of his pawn with Rc8, but then both pawns will queen at the same time. White needs to find a tempo.

Line: 1.Rc5+ Ke4 (otherwise Rc3 wins the pawn) 2.Rc8 and now white promotes with check. 2...Rxc8 3.Kxc8 e2 4.a8=Q+

quote:

(3) white to move and draw

Key idea: White's not going to be able to stop black's pawn. The key is going to be to give their rook for black's pawn in a way that lets them push their own pawn, forcing black to return the rook. Black's threat of c2 and Rd1 is very immediate, especially since c2 forces white to play Rc1, when black has Rxb2.

Line: 1.g3, advancing and protecting the pawn, and preparing to meet c2 with Rc1. Importantly, white keeps their king in a forward position to support the pawn after black has played Kc3 to win white's rook.

quote:

(4) white to move and draw

Key idea: as with the last puzzle, white needs to find a way to give the rook in a way that lets them push their pawn.

Line: 1.Kf4. White uses their king to block black's king from coming back. For example, after 1.Kf5 Ra8 2.Rxf2+ Kxf2 3.h5 Kg3 4.h6 Kh4 the black king has been able to catch white's pawn. Black converts after 5.Kg7 Kg5 6.h7 Ra7+ 7.Kg8 Kg6 8.h8=N (any other piece gets mated by Ra8#) Kf6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

got a brilliancy earlier today in a 10 min rapid game that i’m very happy with. a week ago i would’ve just taken the queen, but i’m really trying to drive home the “if you find a good move, look for a better one” mentality. opponent resigned after this

Hand Knit posted:

Solutions. Credit yourself for the main idea, even if you didn't get the line

Key idea: I've talked about the setup with the R on h1 and pawn on h2. The defending king needs to stay on a7/b7 otherwise white will play Ra1, where black playing Rxh7 is met with white playing Ra2+, which wins the rook. What white wants to do, then, is to stop black from playing Kb7.

Line: 1.Kb5 Rb4+ (Kb7 2. Rh7+, 3.Kxb6 and 4.Kxa5 will win easily) 2.Ka6 keeps black's king out of b7. White wins the race to queen: 2... Rxb6 3.h5 4.b5 h6 5.bxa4 6.h7 a3 7.Rc8+

Key idea: white can guarantee the promotion of his pawn with Rc8, but then both pawns will queen at the same time. White needs to find a tempo.

Line: 1.Rc5+ Ke4 (otherwise Rc3 wins the pawn) 2.Rc8 and now white promotes with check. 2...Rxc8 3.Kxc8 e2 4.a8=Q+

Key idea: White's not going to be able to stop black's pawn. The key is going to be to give their rook for black's pawn in a way that lets them push their own pawn, forcing black to return the rook. Black's threat of c2 and Rd1 is very immediate, especially since c2 forces white to play Rc1, when black has Rxb2.

Line: 1.g3, advancing and protecting the pawn, and preparing to meet c2 with Rc1. Importantly, white keeps their king in a forward position to support the pawn after black has played Kc3 to win white's rook.

Key idea: as with the last puzzle, white needs to find a way to give the rook in a way that lets them push their pawn.

Line: 1.Kf4. White uses their king to block black's king from coming back. For example, after 1.Kf5 Ra8 2.Rxf2+ Kxf2 3.h5 Kg3 4.h6 Kh4 the black king has been able to catch white's pawn. Black converts after 5.Kg7 Kg5 6.h7 Ra7+ 7.Kg8 Kg6 8.h8=N (any other piece gets mated by Ra8#) Kf6

are these from the book by Jesus de la Villa?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh well

https://twitter.com/2700chess/status/1489997510781374465

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are there collections of puzzles, either online or in books, that focus on specific openings? For example, a collection of puzzles that are positions in say, the QGD and the goal of the puzzle is equality or simply progressing into a main line or executing known trap? I was thinking sort of like flash cards for opening prep, or puzzles focused on more ordinary progression of a game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

When I've found them they've been as chapters in specific opening books.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Are there collections of puzzles, either online or in books, that focus on specific openings? For example, a collection of puzzles that are positions in say, the QGD and the goal of the puzzle is equality or simply progressing into a main line or executing known trap? I was thinking sort of like flash cards for opening prep, or puzzles focused on more ordinary progression of a game.

"Flash cards for opening prep" is exactly how I'd describe Chessable opening courses, have you ever tried it? They have a bunch of free ones too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

If you can find a pgn of an opening repertoire (pretty often youtube creators will include one in the description of an openings video) you can import it into chesstempo’s opening trainer

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
hikaru holy cow how you did steal a draw today

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Spokes posted:

I've seen him do this before, if he gets behind he just builds a concrete bunker and goes "lalalala you can't touch me"

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

Esipenko was +10 according to Stockfish at one point.

And of course if you actually want him to personally answer your question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVa15_ucp_s

I really don't get the hate Hikaru gets from some corners like /r/chess because no one else anywhere near his strength would share this sort of analysis maybe ever let alone mid-event.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Sub Rosa posted:

I really don't get the hate Hikaru gets from some corners like /r/chess because no one else anywhere near his strength would share this sort of analysis maybe ever let alone mid-event.

Same and I bet a lot of folks are extra steamed that he’s advancing lol

e: can you imagine if streamer memer tsm hikaru makes it to the candidates tournament

i know he said he'd give ding his spot but what if they don't let him

Spokes fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ding will probably qualify via some other tournament, Hikaru would be crazy to give up his spot if he makes. also idk much about Ding but he possibly wouldn’t want to be handed a spot anyway

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Nope, this is the last qualifier. 2 get in from the Grand Prix and the other 6 are already decided.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I guess never say never, but this cycle is Hikaru's last realistic shot to play in the World Championship and even then he's probably no better than fourth favourite if he qualifies for the candidates in the Grand Prix (which is far from guaranteed). If he passes that chance up then he may as well have actually retired.

At the very least he could do great numbers on twitch and youtube doing recaps of his games in the candidates.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Macnult posted:

got a brilliancy earlier today in a 10 min rapid game that i’m very happy with. a week ago i would’ve just taken the queen, but i’m really trying to drive home the “if you find a good move, look for a better one” mentality. opponent resigned after this

That is a phenomenal move to find in a 10m game. 30m and I'd maybe find it but the zigzag to remove the rook and allow the bishop in isn't the easiest thing to spot in calculation (for me at least). What's your rapid rating?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I would totally have found that via mouse slip :smuggo:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Speaking of brilliant moves, I was pretty happy that I found the tactic in this position despite being garbage at chess. Feels like a move that's obvious when you see the position as a puzzle but it would have been easy to miss this in the game.

(White to move and win.)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Obfuscation posted:

Speaking of brilliant moves, I was pretty happy that I found the tactic in this position despite being garbage at chess. Feels like a move that's obvious when you see the position as a puzzle but it would have been easy to miss this in the game.

(White to move and win.)

Is it Nxe5, leading to e.g. Rxf1 Qxf1 and black has to give up the rook to prevent mate? If so that's a really nice move, took me a while to spot.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Maugrim posted:

Is it Nxe5, leading to e.g. Rxf1 Qxf1 and black has to give up the rook to prevent mate? If so that's a really nice move, took me a while to spot.

Yeah, that's the move, black can almost defend with Rgf6 but then you have a fork with Nd7+ so you end up winning at least the exchange + one pawn in every case I think

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Giving his spot to Ding was proposed by someone is his Twitch Chat, and it isn't entirely out of the question. He has said that Ding is the most likely person to be able to beat Magnus for the Championship, and that Ding has been absolutely hosed by COVID in terms of being able to play in this cycle. Likewise he knows that he is unlikely to win Candidates and become the challenger. It is likely if anyone qualified drops out, the spot will be offered to Ding.

But yeah more likely he would just play.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Bouchehog posted:

That is a phenomenal move to find in a 10m game. 30m and I'd maybe find it but the zigzag to remove the rook and allow the bishop in isn't the easiest thing to spot in calculation (for me at least). What's your rapid rating?

my goal initially was trying to get my dark squared bishop into the picture, so the knight & rook take was as far as i calculated - i didn't realize the forced mate at the time. i'm only in the upper 900s at the moment. i do feel stronger than that since instead of grinding out games i've been studying on the daily and playing OTB at clubs 3-4 days a week (thankfully everyone is vax'd and masked). majority of people at the clubs are 1300 or higher, either with online rating or FIDE/USCF, and i'm taking in at least one win or several draws every time i go. that said, i'm still just in the 900s for rapid and that's my main time control.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

In today's Grand Prix game Aronian-Dominguez, why did Dominguez resign?

In the final position I can see a material advantage of about +2 for white, and nothing else. I can't find a way as white to press that into a win. Engines are telling me it's more like +3 for white so there may be a +1-ish positional advantage that I can't understand.

But this guy figured the position is so lost he might as well give up -> what was he seeing that I can't?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Ignore the numerical evaluations, which don’t mean much. There isn’t a ton of human difference between +2 and +5 in this sort of position.

There are two parts to Dominguez’s resignation. The first is that he lacks counterplay or any sort of drawing plan. This means that, no matter how severe the computer thinks the disadvantage, in human terms he’s going to lose eventually. In chess, ultimately, the only truly “objective” evaluations are won, lost, or drawn with best play. +2 or +5, Dominguez is lost.

The other is that if he’s lost anyways, there’s no point is loving around tiring yourself out for another hour or two. He wants to get back to his room, clear his head, and get to focusing on his “have to win” preparation.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

just broke 1000 in rapid with a nice little pawn promotion checkmate :3:

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
He was also about an hour down on the clock I think.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Macnult posted:

just broke 1000 in rapid with a nice little pawn promotion checkmate :3:

Coulda promoted to rook for a bit of flair!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In which I, White, get my queen trapped, but actually it turns out it was a brilliant sacrifice because taking the queen leads to forced mate (which I, uh, totally saw and calculated).

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Coulda promoted to rook for a bit of flair!

you're right. i'll remember that for 1100

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A puzzle I did today had a pretty fun solution. It's from a section on opposite-coloured bishop endgames, and the different ways to win them. This one is white to move and win. You can figure out the basic idea pretty easily: the only real opportunity for a breakthrough seems to be by taking on b7 with the king. The particular lines can be a bit tricky, but here's the fun one.

e: I guess I crossed up the letters on the board. Fixed now.

1.Kf5 Be3 2.Kg6 Bh6 3.g5 fxg5 4.Bg4 and black's bishop is completely entombed on h6.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I have a dumb question- I bought The Woodpecker Method a while back on Chessable and realized I really hate doing puzzles on that website. Is it possible to create a "playlist" of puzzles on chess.com or lichess and play through them on there?

In other news, a chess club opened up a few miles from me so I decided to sign up for a lesson even though I'm low- to mid-800 trash. We went over some games and some concepts that I've been struggling with like underdefending pieces that are in danger of being attacked. It was nice to explain my thought process and get told why moves were good or bad. I'll probably keep with it every month or so in between reading some books and doing puzzles as I try to transition from being really bad to just moderately bad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hand Knit posted:

A puzzle I did today had a pretty fun solution. It's from a section on opposite-coloured bishop endgames, and the different ways to win them. This one is white to move and win. You can figure out the basic idea pretty easily: the only real opportunity for a breakthrough seems to be by taking on b7 with the king. The particular lines can be a bit tricky, but here's the fun one.

1.Kc5 Bd6 2.Kb6 Ba6 3.b5 cxb5 4.Bb4 and black's bishop is completely entombed on a6.

I think you've got the wrong board screenshot there.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Hand Knit posted:

1.Kc5 Bd6 2.Kb6 Ba6 3.b5 cxb5 4.Bb4 and black's bishop is completely entombed on a6.

I know I am bad at chess but... What?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

I think you've got the wrong board screenshot there.

I guess I've been looking at a lot of boards upside down and transposed the letters in my mind. Should be fixed now.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Hand Knit posted:

I guess I've been looking at a lot of boards upside down and transposed the letters in my mind. Should be fixed now.

I still don't get it. Be6? Be3 maybe?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

I still don't get it. Be6? Be3 maybe?

Yeah, one last thing to fix.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The most annoying thing to me watching chess coverage live is chat screaming BLUNDER every time the eval bar moves a hair.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
live chat is like youtube comments, i always close it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i didn't know until today that there's a video of hikaru and scott hansen having a drunken physical fight while yasser talks poo poo and laughs about it with caruana, because yasser is the coolest dude in chess

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

i didn't know until today that there's a video of hikaru and scott hansen having a drunken physical fight while yasser talks poo poo and laughs about it with caruana, because yasser is the coolest dude in chess

are you saying you solved the mystery of chessboxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

are you saying you solved the mystery of chessboxing
well hikaru and hansen sure didn’t!