Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

How are there so many steps holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chalks posted:

How are there so many steps holy poo poo

there's gotta be 7 layers for the full wallet bean dip

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still don't know how DeFi loans are significantly different from just selling the coins you use as collateral

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ymgve posted:

I still don't know how DeFi loans are significantly different from just selling the coins you use as collateral

the difference is that the defi loan pays you interest for the collateral it's holding, so you make more money over time.
(where does the money come from? :shrug: )

but your loan is in usdc and your collateral is in some other shitcoin called matic, so i don't know how you avoid getting violently liquidated when the exchange rate of your "store of value" swings down 20% in a day for no reason

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ymgve posted:

I still don't know how

same, they say that to know how is to love him but loving him isn't the same as knowing him

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the difference is that the defi loan pays you interest for the collateral it's holding, so you make more money over time.
(where does the money come from? :shrug: )

but your loan is in usdc and your collateral is in some other shitcoin called matic, so i don't know how you avoid getting violently liquidated when the exchange rate of your "store of value" swings down 20% in a day for no reason

Money comes from number go up, of course. What happens if number go down? Don't think about that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
turned my $50k student loan into a $5m liability if ethereum goes below $1500

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

a 50k student loan can never almost never be discharged, a loan from who the gently caress knows what is much easier to get rid of in bankruptcy, assuming there's an entity able to try to pick up the pieces if prices implode.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
NFT more like No Fanks, Tfucker

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

kw0134 posted:

a 50k student loan can never almost never be discharged, a loan from who the gently caress knows what is much easier to get rid of in bankruptcy, assuming there's an entity able to try to pick up the pieces if prices implode.
okay but from how he was speaking he didn’t not get the student loans, he took more debt to hedge against the loans or some thing?

I still don’t understand what he thinks he was doing

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
he had enough money to pay off part of his student loans. instead of doing that, he loaned the money to other people via defi, and used the payments from those loans to pay his student loans. this worked well until it didn't and he lost all his money.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Plorkyeran posted:

he had enough money to pay off part of his student loans. instead of doing that, he loaned the money to other people via defi, and used the payments from those loans to pay his student loans. this worked well until it didn't and he lost all his money.

buttcoin: this worked well until it didn't and he lost all his money

drk
Jan 16, 2005

ymgve posted:

one weird trick for not realizing capital gains: taking on massive counterparty risk

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Potrzebie posted:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Potrzebie posted:

Although "taking on massive counterparty risk" is good too.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Plorkyeran posted:

I don't think he lost any money

yet

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kw0134 posted:

he already gave them 50k of his own money as collateral for the 50k "loan".

afaict defi loans are more about currency conversion than debt since there's no way to actually enforce legal debt obligations on people in cryptoland if you don't already have their money

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

so which form of stupidity is it because while i was clearly giving more credit than the idiot deserved, i want to nail down how insanely crazy this is

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

buttcoin:so which form of stupidity is it

drk
Jan 16, 2005

kw0134 posted:

so which form of stupidity is it because while i was clearly giving more credit than the idiot deserved, i want to nail down how insanely crazy this is

any time you see "stake", change that to "ponzi"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Potrzebie posted:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Potrzebie posted:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

buttcoin:so which form of stupidity is it

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Boxturret posted:

lol that site that was making nfts of album art or something by scraping spotify's site is now just this

this is after they just deleted the entire website in a panic after every musician on twitter came after them. even some of my stuff got caught up in the shitshow. i fired off a DMCA takedown to their host and by the time it was responded to the site's DNS was just pointing to nothing. i didn't see a single person defending them and they've only offered a nonapology. the RIAA is going after them now too, it's lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yeah i had to go through dozens of replies to find one that wasn't someone mocking them, and that was someone shilling their own nft music site

Khorne
May 1, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

so they used == when they should have used &&? :lol:
The explanation in the eli5 screenshot is misleading. They allowed you to pass an arbitrary verification function address in as a parameter. Under normal circumstances, the address of the intended verification function was used as the 3rd parameter/address. The attacker called the contract with the address to their own verification function instead.

The true horror is this was a "standard library" type of function that the weth team blindly used. It was deprecated a few months ago, but they did not switch to the newer, less insecure (hopefully) call.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 7, 2022

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lost wallets and swindled apes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh baby i hear the feds a callin',

FAUXTON posted:

lost wallets and swindled apes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DeFi oh my

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

something about I got you pegged [to the dollar] and seeming a bit confused because you must be explaining it wrong

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shame Boy posted:

oh baby i hear the feds a callin',

apes stolen again

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Khorne posted:

The explanation in the eli5 screenshot is misleading. They allowed you to pass an arbitrary verification function address in as a parameter. Under normal circumstances, the address of the intended verification function was used as the 3rd parameter/address. The attacker called the contract with the address to their own verification function instead.

The true horror is this was a "standard library" type of function that the weth team blindly used. It was deprecated a few months ago, but they did not switch to the newer, less insecure (hopefully) call.

Are you sure that wasn't the other heist? No, the other... no, the other.... Never mind.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's like how french revolutions have to specify which month they happened on, bitcoin scams have to be identified by the day, maybe the hour

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Boxturret posted:

hedging's where you get really close to paying something off but then stop before you do to increase the anticipation of actually paying, right?

jerkoff's paradox

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

aiui there are basically three reasons to get a defi loan despite having to post collateral:

1) you can post collateral in ethereum to borrow tethers or something, then sell the tethers you borrowed for more etherium, ie you've bought on margin which means more profit when number inevitably goes up

2) some of these platforms are funded by vcs who are doing the "pay people to be customers" thing to get their cool growth numbers

3) someone on reddit told you about this great scheme for tax evasion

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

killhamster posted:

this is after they just deleted the entire website in a panic after every musician on twitter came after them. even some of my stuff got caught up in the shitshow. i fired off a DMCA takedown to their host and by the time it was responded to the site's DNS was just pointing to nothing. i didn't see a single person defending them and they've only offered a nonapology. the RIAA is going after them now too, it's lol

Finally an answer to the old question of "How terrible do you have to be to have the RIAA be on the right side?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

stop asking questions and just engage with our brand you gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are you ready for bone coin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

bone coin less sexy than anticipated