Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno if it was here that Benedetta was mentioned when the Total Recall content hit but in any case it's very good! Lots of boobies, and some plague too. Pretty much what you'd expect a Verhoeven movie to be like when you read the description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Who was the martial artist that quit hollywood before his digital likeness rights would get taken away in agency contracts?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pig rules hard

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

If you reach a point in your career where you stop giving a poo poo but people are still willing to pay you a million a day to roll onto set

I think Bruce Willis realized this like 25 years ago

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

thoughts and prayers posted:

Who was the martial artist that quit hollywood before his digital likeness rights would get taken away in agency contracts?

Jet Li that I know of, but there are probably several others you could be thinking of

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The United States posted:

John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake

70s Bodysnatchers and 80s Blob kick the poo poo out of the predecessors, imho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

thoughts and prayers posted:

Jet Li. Specifically, he refused/refuses to do motion-capture stuff, because then his martial arts moves would become the property of some studio database somewhere, to be applied to digital characters as they saw fit. A martial artist's moves are perhaps even more valuable than his likeness.

I gotta say I agree with him. In addition to the rights issue, it would be totally depressing to see some amazing physical feat you trained for years to perform become just another thing the alien monster does 2 seconds before Iron Man shoots him with a face laser.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 7, 2022

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The United States posted:

John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake
So are The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Little Shop of Horrors, The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, Scarface, and technically Airplane! (they couldn't get the rights to remake Zero Hour with jokes, but I've seen the latter, and they kept a lot of material).

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Galewolf posted:

Bruce Willis Endless Thrash Cinematic Universe

i tired watching this video but the preamble is so long and so bland that i thought they were trying to make a comedy movie for themselves to watch and rip on

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pacific Rim owns

Blade 2 owns

Hell boy owns

Conclusion:
GdT owns

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I loved Pacific Rim, but I gotta say I had some white hot nerd RAGE.

After punching and throwing monsters around for most of the movie, as the defeated Jager is getting flown away HE SUDDENLY REMEMBERS HE HAS A MOTHERFUCKING SWORD

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Keanus Reeve famously gave part of either his points or salary to the stunt crew of the 2nd and 3rd matrix films because he thought they desevered more money so hmmmm

Well yeah, he's obviously not a Republican

E: so I did a little digging and it looks like whatever he gave to the stunt/SFX crew was done after the fact, not something that was negotiated as part of his deal. It's an awesome thing he did but it wasn't something where he demanded better pay etc. for people or he'd walk, he just did it out of the kindness of his heart after the movies were done. It was an awesome gesture from a good dude, but it obviously didn't melt the hearts of Hollywood execs or change the way Hollywood did business or anything. And yes, I take the point that Willis certainly could have done the same thing if he wanted to, but that just goes back to the whole "Republican" thing as previously mentioned.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 7, 2022

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Keromaru5 posted:

So are The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, Little Shop of Horrors, The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars, Scarface, and technically Airplane! (they couldn't get the rights to remake Zero Hour with jokes, but I've seen the latter, and they kept a lot of material).

The Fly, and of course who can't forget The Wicker Man...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I loved Pacific Rim, but I gotta say I had some white hot nerd RAGE.

After punching and throwing monsters around for most of the movie, as the defeated Jager is getting flown away HE SUDDENLY REMEMBERS HE HAS A MOTHERFUCKING SWORD

The kaiju have toxic blood that causes ecological disasters when spilled. As a result, the jaegers are designed to beat them to death with brute force rather than breaking their skin. This is why they are all about punching and doing sick wresting moves and occasionally using that pulse cannon. The sword is a weapon of last resort.

This isn't stated outright in the movie, but they do show the guys in hazmat suits dealing with the results of the first kaiju's exploded body, and they say that the toxic blood is explicitly why they can't just nuke them when they're still out in the deep ocean. You're expected to put it together.

In another bit of worldbuilding, they offhandedly mention that the Chinese jaeger runs on massive industrial diesel engines while the other countries' use cleaner nuclear power. The Chinese jaeger's weapons are three giant spinning buzzsaws. Get it?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
why would they program the robots to feel pain

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The robots don't feel pain, the humans inside do because the only way you can effectively control something like a jaeger is through a direct neural link and human brains respond to damage in the system with the sensation of pain

did you even watch the movie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pacific rim rules. gently caress the haters

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The kaiju have toxic blood that causes ecological disasters when spilled. As a result, the jaegers are designed to beat them to death with brute force rather than breaking their skin. This is why they are all about punching and doing sick wresting moves and occasionally using that pulse cannon. The sword is a weapon of last resort.

This isn't stated outright in the movie, but they do show the guys in hazmat suits dealing with the results of the first kaiju's exploded body, and they say that the toxic blood is explicitly why they can't just nuke them when they're still out in the deep ocean. You're expected to put it together.

In another bit of worldbuilding, they offhandedly mention that the Chinese jaeger runs on massive industrial diesel engines while the other countries' use cleaner nuclear power. The Chinese jaeger's weapons are three giant spinning buzzsaws. Get it?

What kind of fantasy world is presented where the people in charge wouldn't trade ecological disasters for monsters wrecking their seafront properties?

I do like the Chinese bit though, I remembered the diesel stuff but didn't put the saw part together.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

No, which is why I'm more than qualified to write a review of it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The robots don't feel pain, the humans inside do because the only way you can effectively control something like a jaeger is through a direct neural link and human brains respond to damage in the system with the sensation of pain

ok then, why?

wouldn't that mean the robots have to send pain signals to the brain somehow?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

screaden posted:

ok then, why?

wouldn't that mean the robots have to send pain signals to the brain somehow?

your posts are sending pain signals to my brain and we're not even in the Drift together

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when you're in the drift and synced with the jaeger you are the jaeger. it is loaded with sensors, both for mundane purposes like maintaining pressure in its hydraulic lines, and for combat purposes like actively monitoring strain on the machinery and detecting the extent of battle damage. when the sensor is screaming that the strain on the knee joint is far past the safe limit, the human brain connected to it can only interpret that as the human's knee being torn apart. that's how your brain works. you don't have a popup window in your vision that says "warning: pan too hot, release grip." you just feel it.

is there anything else you would like to know about how jaegers work

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

screaden posted:

why would they program the robots to feel pain

another mystery that westward never bothered to explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvLoheKYmLI

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

No. 6 posted:

Cool of him taking them lion share of production funds for himself.

Bruce has a rider that says he has to financially humiliate his costars

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

kalel posted:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

alexandriao posted:

i tired watching this video but the preamble is so long and so bland that i thought they were trying to make a comedy movie for themselves to watch and rip on

Maybe in the future technology will exist that allows skipping forward a minute or two.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

For all its faults, Pacific Room does feel like the kind of movie that had care and effort put into the creative elements like the world building, character motivations, and the script writing in general.

Pacific Rim 2, on the other hand…

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in the cockpit scenes in pacific rim, everything you see (except the holographic displays obviously) is real, and the entire thing is moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1YQOIginV0&t=65s

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Pacific Rim 2, on the other hand…

I've literally never been more disappointed by a movie, it turned me into the twisted creature I am today

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I didn't really care for Pacific Rim either, although I did like the Charlie Day and the twitchy guy parts. I was legit mad they made him into a bad guy in the sequel (mind controlled but hey).

Also Ron Perlman was great. Basically any time Charlie Hunnam was onscreen I was "bleh"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Bruce has a rider that says he has to financially humiliate his costars

He's into FinDom, but he's the Dom

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
I am a fan of Guillermo Del Toro, but one thing I have observed and that no one else seems to have mentioned is that (IMO) there's a really wide quality gap between his Spanish language films and his English language ones. I absolutely love Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone, of his English work I find that The Shape of Water is the only one that sort of reaches that level. His English movies are still visually impressive, with Hellboy 2 standing out as amazing, but I always find something kind of disappointing. The Hellboy movies were fun and probably the most faithful adaptations we're likely to get from a big budget studio picture, as a fan of the comic, I always felt the tone was off. Hellboy comic stories are mostly atmosphere building, with desolate gothic settings, limited dialogue, and moody art with lot's of solid black shadows punctuated by a few panels of action here and a couple comedic lines there and maybe a fight that runs couple pages at the climax of a longer story, but the movies mostly turned out mostly as typical cgi punchmans. This was frustrating for me, because having seen Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, it's perfectly clear that Del Toro is extremely proficient at working in that exact tone. Instead of that, we get Seth McFarlane doing his ridiculous Nazi goldfish accent in what I can only assume was meant to be a comic relief role and a generic 'underdogs charm the uptight boss' paint by number subplot. I saw Pacific Rim in theatres, and apart from my same-sex celebrity crush on Ron Perlman (don't you loving judge me!) I was mostly just bored. If I'm watching a movie about giant robots fight kaiju, I wanna see giant loving robots fighting some mother loving kaiju. I do not give a flying gently caress about no humans in this scenario, they exist only to get stomped on by the monster or saved by the robot, or maybe accidentally stomped by the robot for a second act low-point. I eventually came around to really enjoying it because I got to watch it without dialogue, as in the absence of a hockey game or concert, my home-bar would throw it up on the tv for background colour, and the action is pretty good if you don't have to deal with the boring talky bits in between. I remember that I have in fact watched Crimson Peak, but apart from the fact that there was some sort of (implied?) incest thing between MCU Loki and a woman who was definitely not Eva Green despite the fact that hers is the only name coming to mind right now. I haven't seen Nightmare Alley yet, but I do know it's like 45 minutes longer than the '47 version and that causes me some trepidation. I'd put Kronos a bit below his best English work, but above the majority of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think I've liked a single Del Toro film I've seen, but thats kind of less a slam on him and just more a Im the odd one out here

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The film really suffered from the main character being a bland everyman actor. My girlfriend and I watched it recently and we basically spent half of the movie trying to decide who would have been better, besides the automatic "better white guy in anything" that is James McAvoy.

Also the sword thing was pretty laff, they really should have done a better job explaining that the monster blood was toxic besides just in the intro montage of the film.

That loving music is a huge banger for the film, and it has a scene where a giant robot uses a oil tanker to smash the face of a monster. What the gently caress more do you loving want in a film?

edit - haha also the inexplicable inclusion of the voice of GlaDOS

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kalel posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sagebrush posted:

in the cockpit scenes in pacific rim, everything you see (except the holographic displays obviously) is real, and the entire thing is moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1YQOIginV0&t=65s

This owns so much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jeeves posted:

edit - haha also the inexplicable inclusion of the voice of GlaDOS

she had a cameo in Cyberpunk 2077 as well. I fully support GLaDOS as the voice of all future robots and AIs

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

rydiafan posted:

Maybe in the future technology will exist that allows skipping forward a minute or two.

I got bored and turned it off, later i came back to it and found out the intro was 10 minutes long. lol, lmao.

Anyway i have no interest in the review after that. Why would i trust these people about films when their comedy (even as parody of bad film) is so loving awful. It was dire.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

it's true, if you can't make a comedy sketch that everyone likes then you shouldn't be allowed to talk about movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

alexandriao posted:

I got bored and turned it off, later i came back to it and found out the intro was 10 minutes long. lol, lmao.

Anyway i have no interest in the review after that. Why would i trust these people about films when their comedy (even as parody of bad film) is so loving awful. It was dire.

Wait, why would you post in the RLM thread if you have neither the patience or the interest to watch an RLM video?