Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

FishMcCool posted:

That's kind of why I haven't picked up the series yet, I've been on the fence about it forever, with the 4th book apparently coming with limited bookmarks and actual death in the second half. That's not really the kind of experience I'm after there, so meh.

Yeah, part 4 takes away the rewind feature at a certain point. Even if you're not into loving around with choices and seeing alternate paths - I for instance almost never used it anyway, I prefered to roll with the punches - it still sucks because you have to re-do encounters and re-solve puzzles, i.e. tediously go through each step having already solved it before your death. It was a huge misstep I think.

That said, the entire series shows up on the occasional Fanatical bundle here and there for like $1 so if you're on the fence and have some nostalgia for the books, it might be worth picking up there. It's good for a long time before it gets kinda bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sway Grunt posted:

That said, the entire series shows up on the occasional Fanatical bundle here and there for like $1 so if you're on the fence and have some nostalgia for the books, it might be worth picking up there. It's good for a long time before it gets kinda bad.

Fair enough, at that price I'd absolutely pick it up.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

:stare:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Huge fan of Dying Light 2. The parkour is some of the best I’ve seen in a 1st person game since Mirrors Edge and it feels better than that game. Combat isn’t horrible but not amazing. I love the day/night dynamics and poo poo gets downright scary at night when your running from a chase horde and your clock is ticking till you turn undead. It’s hella fun and terrifying at the same time. I don’t think this game is for everyone but if you love parkour games and exploration this should be right up your alley.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Don't doxx me, buddy!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kazil posted:

You could probably just get DL1 and see if that's your jam or not. It'd be a lot cheaper.

Guess I'll do that if 2 is "mostly just more of 1 [but better?]" - seems like I'll need more than 2 Hours to decide if I actually like it

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looking at SteamDB, the only games like DL2 that’ve ever had a higher player count (and weren’t free) are Skyrim, GTA5, Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk. Maybe MonHun World depending how you think of it. Though I bet you add Elden Ring to that list in a few weeks.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Hell yeah, zombies are back, baby!

I will pick up DL2....way later, on sale.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

yes hello alert consider this another notice that actually-good-game and rare (heh) DKC-alike Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair is free on egs right now

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Guess I'll do that if 2 is "mostly just more of 1 [but better?]" - seems like I'll need more than 2 Hours to decide if I actually like it

2 hours you're probably still in the tutorial.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trickyblackjack posted:

Hell yeah, zombies are back, baby!

I will pick up DL2....way later, on sale.

yep, it's really good and fun, but that will still be the case when it's much cheaper

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baller Time posted:

I have become anime, destroyer of worlds

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

HundredBears posted:

loads of really great tips for Invisible Inc

Quite a few pages back at this point, but thanks!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Eh, I'm trying to get into DL2 but I don't think it's gonna work for me. It's pretty good on atmosphere but everything about the movement and combat just feels so muddy and sloppy. Also I've spent two of my (quite scarce) skill points on skills that are just broken and don't work as far as I can tell.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Triarii posted:

Eh, I'm trying to get into DL2 but I don't think it's gonna work for me. It's pretty good on atmosphere but everything about the movement and combat just feels so muddy and sloppy. Also I've spent two of my (quite scarce) skill points on skills that are just broken and don't work as far as I can tell.

Which ones are these? I spent 25 hours in DL2 over the weekend and I'm very mixed/critical on it but the skills do work.... but! If you rebind keys, the rebound keys dont work for them! only the original ones do.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Which ones are these? I spent 25 hours in DL2 over the weekend and I'm very mixed/critical on it but the skills do work.... but! If you rebind keys, the rebound keys dont work for them! only the original ones do.

Well I've got some re-bound keys but I'm not about to change them back to something dumb just to fix their lovely programming, I'm just gonna call those "broken"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's definitely poo poo programming, but yeah the skills work if you dont change the keys... which defeats the entire purpose.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
How the hell do you not have "rebind keys" in your game in 2022, goddamn :lmao:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

DL2 needed at least 6 months of extra time in the oven. On top of all the delays they had.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FrickenMoron posted:

DL2 needed at least 6 months of extra time in the oven. On top of all the delays they had.

It's got a little jank but no it works p well.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
dead island had a bug on release where you could press a key to enter dev-only third person mode that also made you noclip. i'm not really sure what anyone was expecting here.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Dice is releasing a patch to fix the scoreboard like 5 months after BF2042 came out.

It's a wild time

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

DL2 is a big glitchy janky mess that makes a lot of the same mistakes 1 did and has re-write scars all across it but whatever I'll keep playing that garbage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is there a Gnosia thread and if not, may i please and thank you get some general non spoiler type hints for what i should be "doing" once i get to what i assume is the "main part" of the game where i can set the parameters for each loop TIA

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

precision posted:

is there a Gnosia thread and if not, may i please and thank you get some general non spoiler type hints for what i should be "doing" once i get to what i assume is the "main part" of the game where i can set the parameters for each loop TIA

Just play the game. Very soon you will unlock Event Finder (or something like that) which is a button that sets the parameters for you to make it more likely to find the events that you're missing.
The story will progress naturally from there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Sifu is fun, I did two runs of the first level last night (ended the first time somewhere in my 60s but on my second pass I cleared it at age 23) and then got to the boss on the second level but got clobbered. I never played Absolver so I don't have that point of reference but the hand-to-hand combat is exhilarating and the heavy focus on positioning makes it really feel like a 3D evolution of something like Streets of Rage. It's also very stylish, there's a part in the first level where the perspective switches and there's an homage to the Oldboy hallway scene that had me hooting and hollering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-bnptgGPP4

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sifu seems like it's doing some interesting things stylistically and mechanically, but it sounds like it's much too "git gud" for my taste, and the use of roguelite progression mechanics in a game with handcrafted level/encounter design strikes me as fairly weird. more power to those who enjoy it I guess

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's much easier to just give the player more and more power the more they grind until they manage to overcome the next arbitrary spike in the difficulty than it is to design a satisfying difficulty curve.
Additionally it makes players waste spend much more time playing your game so it drives up those ever important engagement numbers.
It's just positives all around. No reason not to do it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Lone Badger posted:

You respawn at a safe zone. Doesn't seem to be any penalty other then losing the bonus night xp.

From what I can tell you don't even lose the things you did, you still have all the resources you picked up before you turned somehow.

I'm fine with that though. Overall I think the immunity countdown was a genius move in terms of game systems. It really helps night time stuff feel very distinct from daytime stuff.

Ciaphas posted:

i gather DL2's committing a lot of the same sins as the first game; does that include taking a while to get parkour and (relative) zombie safety working well, or the storytelling method of listening to yammering in first person cutscenes??

I love the game. Yeah you have to work to increase your parkous and offensive skills, but you can still get around just fine before that. I actually have no problem with that system because it serves as a gate, once you unlock certain parkour abilities you can get to more interesting places with scarier enemies. And it works, at the start you have to parkour kind of tentatively because it's pretty easy to fall to your death so you really do feel like someone who is learning. As you advance it starts getting so fluid and even more fun. If you started off with everything I think it would be a worse game.

Boba Pearl posted:

When people stumble backwards, if they stumble into a set of spikes it instantly kills almost any zombie, including the biggest and nastiest ones, so you want to use your drop kick, your dodge where you throw people, your kick, and any other forced movement to get enemies into those obstacles, this is even easier if you buy or build a few decoys, and throw them into a fire, or at the spiked thing and then take a running jump into it.

I made my first three (or four, can't remember) upgrades health upgrades so that I could get the almighty drop kick as soon as possible.

Overall I really wasn't sure about DL2, I didn't like the first game that much at all. I bought it half intending to return it after I checked it out. But I ended up playing past the return window and I don't regret it at all because I'm having an awesome time.

Barry Convex posted:

Sifu seems like it's doing some interesting things stylistically and mechanically, but it sounds like it's much too "git gud" for my taste, and the use of roguelite progression mechanics in a game with handcrafted level/encounter design strikes me as fairly weird. more power to those who enjoy it I guess

I'm not gonna say I love the roguelite elements but I can understand why they went that route, otherwise they'd have to make every level way way harder. This way it's almost like a retro game, beat it one go or you haven't beaten it. On the downside, I probably will not play the game enough to beat it.

The gameplay whips though. It's exactly what they promised. It's pretty advanced but you can also make do with all the third person action game skills you have. Combos , special moves, dodging, blocking and parrying, nothing too out of the ordinary.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play posted:

This way it's almost like a retro game, beat it one go or you haven't beaten it.

Except it's not.
It's more like a retro arcade beat'em'up but every time you put a quarter into the machine your character gets stronger and stronger.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

goferchan posted:

It's probably more like the first 2 or 3, but it's still longer than it should be and outside the refund window so I feel you. Once you get in the city and then do the first little mission chain there, things open up pretty nicely. Sidequests are everywhere and give a relative ton of XP compared to anything else so you can start working through the skill tree at a steady pace, and the weapon mods do some cool poo poo beyond just "more DPS". But yeah I feel like at some point in development where they weren't sure how "RPG" the game should be they just decided to drag the intro out way too long

Yeah my plan was to return it if I didn't like it but I'd only just gotten into the city at two hours thirty seven minutes lmao. I hadn't really seen enough to know if I'd like it or not.

I thought hard about it but eventually just decided to keep playing, and I'm glad I did because I like the game a lot, it's SO much better than the first one.

Jack Trades posted:

Except it's not.
It's more like a retro arcade beat'em'up but every time you put a quarter into the machine your character gets stronger and stronger.

They don't really get stronger though. The loss of health is severe. At the higher ages you will literally die in two or three hits.

Unless you mean the metaupgrades? With the unlocks it's basically the same. Yeah the special moves help a little but they really don't help that much. The only way you're beating this game is if you get really loving good at it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play posted:

They don't really get stronger though. The loss of health is severe. At the higher ages you will literally die in two or three hits.

Unless you mean the metaupgrades? With the unlocks it's basically the same. Yeah the special moves help a little but they really don't help that much. The only way you're beating this game is if you get really loving good at it.

Yes, meta upgrades. Not only are there a bunch of incredibly strong moves in there that are way better than anything in the starting arsenal, it has practically passive defensive(stuff like, being able to cancel out of knockback so you don't have to take wall damage anymore) and offensive (press button to kick random poo poo at enemies, make weapons stronger, be able to attack knocked back enemies more) upgrades.

The difference between starting character and a character with all of the meta upgrades is MASSIVE.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, meta upgrades. Not only are there a bunch of incredibly strong moves in there that are way better than anything in the starting arsenal, it has practically passive defensive(stuff like, being able to cancel out of knockback so you don't have to take wall damage anymore) and offensive (press button to kick random poo poo at enemies, make weapons stronger, be able to attack knocked back enemies more) upgrades.

The difference between starting character and a character with all of the meta upgrades is MASSIVE.

Have you actually played it, is that how you know? Cause I'll admit I've only permanently unlocked one thing. But the 'special moves', from what I could see with the ones I used, are not all that special. And stuff like cancelling out a push, sure that's something but it's still a limited use case. Same with parrying/catching thrown items, if you can't get the timing right it still won't help you at all.

Most metaupgrades include huge things like increased health, increased damage across the board, actual passives, etc. Although I guess increased weapon strength is basically a passive, I'll give you that.

Pretty confident that no matter what permanent unlocks you have, you're not beating this game unless you get really loving good at it. People who ARE really good at it will be able to beat it without any permanent unlocks, and people who suck at the game won't be able to beat it even if they have them all.

It's still much more skill dependent than the average roguelite.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Play posted:

Have you actually played it, is that how you know? Cause I'll admit I've only permanently unlocked one thing. But the 'special moves', from what I could see with the ones I used, are not all that special. And stuff like cancelling out a push, sure that's something but it's still a limited use case. Same with parrying/catching thrown items, if you can't get the timing right it still won't help you at all.

Most metaupgrades include huge things like increased health, increased damage across the board, actual passives, etc. Although I guess increased weapon strength is basically a passive, I'll give you that.

Pretty confident that no matter what permanent unlocks you have, you're not beating this game unless you get really loving good at it. People who ARE really good at it will be able to beat it without any permanent unlocks, and people who suck at the game won't be able to beat it even if they have them all.

It's still much more skill dependent than the average roguelite.

Yes, I have played it. Without any unlocks and with all unlocks. The difference that made was huge and the fact that it's not quite as bad as most roguelites doesn't mean anything because most roguelites are complete trash.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you are going to do that kind of thing, it's probably best to do it like Into The Breach where the starting tools remain some of the best for standard gameplay and the stuff you unlock is for more situational and-or gimmicky styles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If you are going to do that kind of thing, it's probably best to do it like Into The Breach where the starting tools remain some of the best for standard gameplay and the stuff you unlock is for more situational and-or gimmicky styles.

Yeah, unlocks that give you alternative options are good.

My favorite way to do the "meta" unlocks is to unlock options that make the game progressively harder instead.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Metaprogression games can be fun imo but you have to have the right mindset for it

If you're always playing to beat the final boss instead of playing for the sake of grinding out your next cool upgrade like it's an rpg it's just gonna be kinda disappointing.
Like replaying the level 50 dungeon in DFO a dozen times to get upgrade materials to unlock the next tier of my class gives me 0 chance of killing the final boss and getting a credit roll but I still enjoy it since the basic gameplay loop is fun. (Okay it's been a really long time since I played dfo so that example might be really inaccurate but whatever)

They're a completely different feel from "real" roguelikes with no upgrades though, where it actually is about gitting gud and learning the game and its systems and managing risk etc and not grinding up the +5 sword of invulnerability.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the other thing which should die are unlocks that are like "play the game in a specific style that you loving hate and isn't enjoyable to unlock character y"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I just kinda appreciate roguelites which are possible to beat without metaupgrades, and games where metaupgrades won't beat the game for you. If you're poo poo you'll still be poo poo. In my personal opinion Sifu is like that, none of the upgrades are going to win the game for you that's for sure.

That being said, I wouldn't mind getting rid of the metaupgrades completely and just starting you off with everything. It's probably a little unnecessary to have it this way, especially the thing where the way to permanently unlock is to choose the same upgrade five times even though it doesn't give you any extra abilities by repeatedly upgrading the same thing on the same run.