Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

sexy sadioooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Good

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Salah the coward didn't even take a pen lol

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
why didn't salah take a pen wtf

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

mane you are a legend forever now

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
SEXY SADIO

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

why are egypt crying? they never tried to win

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Egypt keeper with the big handsome tears. You hate to see it.

Absolute cannon of a pen to win it though loving hell

Cool for Cisse

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I always enjoy when a team who blatantly try to win tournaments by taking games to penalties, lose on penalties.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
I'm glad Egypt lost, and hell, you should be too

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tutankhamun, Ramesses II, Cleopatra. Your boys took a hell of a beating

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

why are egypt crying? they never tried to win

Full List of Egypt Tactics:

1. Salah shoot
2. put on Trezeguet

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

kcer posted:

why didn't salah take a pen wtf

He's always the 5th pen taker for Egypt. Has been the whole tournament

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

He's always the 5th pen taker for Egypt. Has been the whole tournament

I'm not much of a football manager but I think you should put your best players earlier in the penalty taking list so they have a chance to score a penalty!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Frankston posted:

I'm not much of a football manager but I think you should put your best players earlier in the penalty taking list so they have a chance to score a penalty!

I agree. But that's just how Egypt has set up all tournament.

And tbf, they won the previous two shootouts.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
thinking about that Egypt fan that was in the stands with a perfect and exact copy of the African Cup of Nations (which is not even a cup).

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Frankston posted:

hell, signed

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

paddyboat posted:

Full List of Egypt Tactics:

1. Salah shoot
2. put on Trezeguet

The last time Trezeguet played against Senegal, it didn't go too well either.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Thinking about the last time I remember seeing a man named Trezeguet take a penalty in a cup final and having a nice chuckle.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Frankston posted:

you think you'd want to increase the chances that your team makes it to the fifth shot but alas,

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/FA/status/1490626394530930691?t=OHmWTJw6SBXGFP_nOZ8Wdg&s=19

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I know theyd just use the millennium stadium or Cardiff/Swansea as the Welsh grounds but dreaming of seeing Spain vs Italy at Bala town

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

isn't that the problem for all the non-england countries?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah realistically Scotland have Hampden (50k) and Murrayfield (60k)

You would be able to use Ibrox (50k) or Celtic Park (60k) too i suppose

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

isn't that the problem for all the non-england countries?

I'd imagine they'll do like 1 match each round at the "big" grounds outside of England. It'd be kinda cool if they did all the quarterfinals and semifinals outside of England with the Final at Wembley.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There'll have to be investment into Windsor Park to get it to 30,000, which will benefit the Northern Irish FA massively I guess.

The problem comes from trying to make sure it's not a 7 or 8 + 3 arrangement, though it probably breaks down that way because of size of leagues etc.

FAI:
Landsdowne Road - modern, 50k, all the bells and whistles

IFA:
Windsor Park - would need a massive refurb or new ground to meet criteria?

FAW:
Millennium Stadium - modernish, 70k
Difficult because outside of that, all the big football stadiums are ones where the teams play in the EFL. If they're looking for a Welsh Premier league side ground to promote/gain investment, that's a lot of work and runs into long term feasibility problems quickly.

SFA:
Hampden - though it's poo poo
Murrayfield - if the SFA can't stomach one of the Old Firm teams and want an Edinburgh venue?
Ibrox - Celtic Park is suffering a lot from the same issues I see reported about Old Trafford, obviously 2028 is a long way away but idk if there are better options.

FA (Trying not to end up just in London or with four grounds in 20 miles of each other):

North East: St James'
North West: Anfield/Everton's new ground?
Yorkshire or they won't shut the gently caress up about it: Elland Road or the Riverside?
Midlands: Villa Park or ?
South: St Mary's/ The AmEx

London: Emirates/Stamford Bridge/White Hart Lane. Though the FA would have to go for Wembley for the final, which might work against those three?

Difficult to get a fair breakdown. The women's Euro's are deliberately clustered around Manchester in parts, but don't think the same would fly.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Also in London is the Olympic stadium or whatever West Ham were playing in

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds have plans to expand elland road to 55-60k in the next few years and properly do up the concourses for the first time since ridsdale (assuming they don't get relegated I guess) so just in time to host some group games

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Leeds have plans to expand elland road to 55-60k in the next few years and properly do up the concourses for the first time since ridsdale (assuming they don't get relegated I guess) so just in time to host some group games

So many questions. Are they putting in an aquarium? What size will the aquarium be? What fish are they going to put in it? Will they let people name the fish?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

There'll have to be investment into Windsor Park to get it to 30,000, which will benefit the Northern Irish FA massively I guess.

The problem comes from trying to make sure it's not a 7 or 8 + 3 arrangement, though it probably breaks down that way because of size of leagues etc.

FAI:

IFA:

FAW:
Difficult because outside of that, all the big football stadiums are ones where the teams play in the EFL. If they're looking for a Welsh Premier league side ground to promote/gain investment, that's a lot of work and runs into long term feasibility problems quickly.

SFA:
Murrayfield - if the SFA can't stomach one of the Old Firm teams and want an Edinburgh venue?
Ibrox - Celtic Park is suffering a lot from the same issues I see reported about Old Trafford, obviously 2028 is a long way away but idk if there are better options.

FA (Trying not to end up just in London or with four grounds in 20 miles of each other):

Yorkshire or they won't shut the gently caress up about it: Elland Road or the Riverside?

London: Emirates/Stamford Bridge/White Hart Lane. Though the FA would have to go for Wembley for the final, which might work against those three?

Difficult to get a fair breakdown. The women's Euro's are deliberately clustered around Manchester in parts, but don't think the same would fly.

I know it's not obvious but Etihad could also host matches

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

For some reason in my head, the Etihad is only something like 40k so it made sense to go for the two bigger Liverpool ones.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

For some reason in my head, the Etihad is only something like 40k so it made sense to go for the two bigger Liverpool ones.

Don’t even think it gets that

E: misread

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Idk if they could, does anyone have any footage/pics of a capacity crowd at the Etihad so I can try and visualise this

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

I forget when exactly (or why) but they expanded it to 55k

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
if england and ireland can submit a joint bid, why cant israel and turkey

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

FAI:

IFA:

FAW:

SFA:

The FAI are hoping to be able to offer Croke Park, which has a capacity of 82,300. Generally the GAA are pretty prickly about the idea of other sports being played there, but I imagine there would be some government pressure if its in the cause of landing a major international tournament.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Myssu posted:

The FAI are hoping to be able to offer Croke Park, which has a capacity of 82,300. Generally the GAA are pretty prickly about the idea of other sports being played there, but I imagine there would be some government pressure if its in the cause of landing a major international tournament.

Don't they still ban footballers from playing gaelic sport? Can't see it unless there's a huge pile of cash offered

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Don't they still ban footballers from playing gaelic sport? Can't see it unless there's a huge pile of cash offered

Well they already opened Croke Park to football and rugby from 2007-2010 while building the new Landsowne Road, so its not unprecedented. I expect a huge pile of cash may have been involved then, and would not be surprised to see another huge pile of cash involved for this.

I don't know much about the funding structure of GAA, but I imagine that since it is strictly amateur only, they would find it hard to turn down huge piles of cash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1493628569574068224?s=20&t=5DdDKQKiOP7y1Mo0sxJLsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/WiIIJordan/status/1495527739281051658