Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

sebmojo posted:

could someone describe mining to me? is it more than firing a laser at a rock?

Nope thats it. Magical mining beams.

Gravity_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Professional trolls.

Wait. You guys are still getting paid by Derek?!

He's been paying me in Smartiecoin, with a option to buy 250% more at the price he paid me at. I have to option this between two weeks and 90 days max.

Once Smartiecoin and KayakNTFcoin join, I'll take the offer.

:gary: :wtchris: :kayak: :trustme: :sandance: :yarg:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

quote:

quote:
There is NO GAME that comes close to even a PORTION of what they are accomplishing. Not by miles. This is the objective truth. If any game had a single fully explorable planet with a single fully explorable moon with transitions from planet to ship interior to space to moon to building interiors, etc. without a loading screen, and offered even a single ship (instead of literally MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED RIGHT NOW) with both ship based and FPS based combat and various other layered systems that are deep in their own right (mining could be a stand alone game) - if a game had a FRACTION of that, it would stand head and shoulders above the games that exist today.

Gravity_Storm posted:

No Mans Sky.

Also Sea of Thieves does most of that way better but just keeps it in a fictional Sea instead of space.

It also has style and gameplay loops and works.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gravity_Storm posted:

It totally counts :) Its a seamless transition from planet to ship to freighter with no loading screens. Space stations too.

No contest on all of those, just the wrong kind of space legs. Now if you could fly the freighter in the solar system, and if getting into a ship had a long, unskippable animation where you strap yourself in to excuse the lack of in-fighter spacelegs, we might be on to something.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Kavros posted:

ideas are not innovation. they are the framework for projects which can become innovation

This cannot be stated enough.

It would be like if I told someone, "I'm going to run two ultra-marathons back-to-back in under two hours," and the only other marathon I ever attempted, which I dropped out of well before the halfway point, was over 10 years ago, and I hadn't even attempted so much as a jog ever since, and then they see me power-walking a single lap around the track at a high school and said, "Wow, can you believe that guy is running two ultra-marathons back-to-back in under two hours? Just look at him go."

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Time_pants posted:

This cannot be stated enough.

It would be like if I told someone, "I'm going to run two ultra-marathons back-to-back in under two hours," and the only other marathon I ever attempted, which I dropped out of well before the halfway point, was over 10 years ago, and I hadn't even attempted so much as a jog ever since, and then they see me power-walking a single lap around the track at a high school and said, "Wow, can you believe that guy is running two ultra-marathons back-to-back in under two hours? Just look at him go."

What is the Kickstarter for your new ultra-marathon shoes? ..... asking for a friend.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

could someone describe mining to me? is it more than firing a laser at a rock?

The core mining mechanic is the same across all the different types of mining. After scanning the rock, you get a green and a red energy zone on your HUD. Your goal is to throw power into the rock and keep the energy levels within the green zone until the green zone is filled. If the red zone gets filled with energy and you don't dissipate it, then the rock will explode when cracked and you'll get a funny video of your spaceman being launched into orbit.

Hand mining uses a multi-tool with a mining attachment. You pop small rocks with it and pick up the pieces and store them in your backpack.

ROC (vehicle) mining lets you mine bigger land rocks. It has a collection beam that lets you suck up all the individual pieces and store them inside the vehicle. No need to pick them up anymore.

Space mining introduces different types of mining lasers, modules, and, in the next patch, gadgets. Space rocks are big enough that the individual stats of the rock start to matter. How much the rock resists being filled with energy, how volatile the energy is (how much it swings back and forth, making it difficult to keep your energy levels in the green zone), and even how big the green zone can be. Some lasers aren't powerful enough to heat up some rocks, and some lasers are too unstable to be used on others. Mining modules are passive upgrades or single-use items to help crack the rocks. When mining quantanium, people usually use a single-use module that throws a huge chunk of energy into the rock, saving time. There's also another type of module that when activated, makes you more rapidly fill up an energy zone, which means you don't have to hold the energy level in the green zone for as long as you otherwise would have had to do. Next patch will add gadgets that you place on the rocks themselves. This is most likely a stepping stone for players who are renting a space mining ship as they are unable to change the mining head or equip modules. Gadgets should help them break rocks with the starter gear on a rental, which will let them save up for purchasing their own mining ship in-game.

The mining in Star Citizen is definitely more interesting and involved than most other space games, but I wouldn't say it could be its own stand-alone game.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Titanic posted:

I just hope we'll get to see sq404 so we can see what Chris' total focus on a project looks like over however many years and money it takes him to put it out.

I'm still calling it at about 45 minutes of "gameplay", with maybe like 1 hour of cinematic scenes you can be the camera for.

I also think it may be over 45 minutes to actually do the full 45 minutes because there may be time spent redoing something because of jank. Like a jumping puzzle where if you fall you're stuck forever or fall through the level and have to restart.

The gameplay will fight against itself, and it will feel like a super pretty student project.

Now I just have to hope it gets delivered before I die. :pray:

If it ever releases, it's going to be a rail shooter. Mark my words Feel free to quote the poo poo out of this post.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Kosumo posted:

What is the Kickstarter for your new ultra-marathon shoes? ..... asking for a friend.

I'm actually on Kicks Starter.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Time_pants posted:

If it ever releases, it's going to be a rail shooter. Mark my words Feel free to quote the poo poo out of this post.

i will happily :toxx: that if sq42 ever comes out it will be widely accepted as inferior to CoD:IW. if it's even close I'll take the ban.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
SQ42 will be an on rails cafeteria simulator and the only game play will be quick time events where you have to choose which sides you want. If you take too long Mark Hamil will cut in front of you in line.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

cmdrk posted:

aren't there many examples of this? like.. Space Engineers for example? and it has infinity ships limited by your own creativity.

you can probably put 50 40 people on a Space Engineers server, too.

Of course there are.

One of the main reasons why SC even exists as a project to begin with is because CRobber was never aware of the current state of PC gaming and was convinced that what he did was spectacularly new, fiendishly clever, and outrageously difficult. All while he was surfing on the backside of a in industry wave that had passed him by where everyone was already doing This New Thing™ (except more intelligently and competently than he did). This was true back in the early '90s; it is true to this day.

The other main reason that SC even exists is that the backers are the same: they also don't keep up with what the gaming industry is actually doing. Remember, SC was to “save PC gaming” at a time when PC gaming had already saved itself quite a while ago and was entering a new era of independent development, self-publishing, and was in the middle of a full-on explosion of creative and imaginative game design.

The very foundation of this project rests on the assumption that we're still stuck in the brown shooter console era of the mid-aughts or possibly the hapless mobile shovelware era of the late aughts, and that the last decade and a half that obliviates the need for SC to exist never happened. And since SC is destined to deliver them from this nightmare of stale and boring gaming in just [n+2] years, there is no need to look outside the bubble to actually verify that it is as stale and boring out there as they assume…

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AppropriateHotChameleon-mobile.mp4

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

There is NO GAME that comes close to even a PORTION of what they are accomplishing.

Plenty of big stretches in this thread.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Kosumo posted:

Also Sea of Thieves does most of that way better but just keeps it in a fictional Sea instead of space.

It also has style and gameplay loops and works.

You know what SC needs? Ship wrecking yards and a game play loop of disassembling them. We should totally propose this thing that has never been done gets added to the now secret roadmap.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

snail posted:

You know what SC needs? Ship wrecking yards and a game play loop of disassembling them. We should totally propose this thing that has never been done gets added to the now secret roadmap.

Didn't some Citizen propose something like that? I distinctly remember some dreams.txt chat about that sort of thing, where some dude and his buddies would make a space-living scrapping ships.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

trucutru posted:

Well, reddit is back to normal but spectrum is still angry (give them 2 weeks).

What I found funny about this situation is that CIG is so disdainful of their backers that it is not afraid of showing that disdain. And what do the (not shill) backers do? well, they are pissed about the "lack of respect", the "slap in the face" instead of the fact that the loving game that they have paid almost half a billion dollars is nowhere close to half-finished. Like, guys, you have given the company enough money to fund their kickstarter ONE HUNDRED times over, you don't deserve any respect.
They can be pissed, but they still buy JPGs, this whole outrage had no effect on funding. In fact, there was a significant increase in funding in the last week.

As someone in this thread mentioned, the most vocal angry backers are probably some whales that still splurge regardless of what they publicly declare. If SC is a cult, it even has an analogue of homophobic pastors that are secretly paying for male prostitutes.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dwesa posted:

They can be pissed, but they still buy JPGs, this whole outrage had no effect on funding. In fact, there was a significant increase in funding in the last week.

As someone in this thread mentioned, the most vocal angry backers are probably some whales that still splurge regardless of what they publicly declare. If SC is a cult, it even has an analogue of homophobic pastors that are secretly paying for male prostitutes.

That is assuming we believe those CIG figures.

e: whatever that tracker says, the behavior of CIG for many years, and especially now, has been complete opposite of a company awash in funds. Why would they need external investors to start with?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 7, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'm sort of getting Games Workshop vibes, thinking about it. Getting constantly slapped in the face, yet being unable to stop is kind of the life of 40k fans.

"Why do we need a new edition? You are just trying to scam us into buying new rules and codices!" *orders new rules and new codex*

"Waaaah! GW are scum! They are silently deprecating our space marines just to make us buy their stupid Primaris with better stats!" *orders latest box of Primaris marines*

That said, with 40k you get a functional product, and nothing GW does can prevent you from using everything you bought from them for any given purpose, so I guess there's a considerable difference. But the consumer-facing attitude seems eerily similar.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think that releasing actual products (of varying quality) is importantly different from releasing a mounting backlog of preorders.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

MedicineHut posted:

That is assuming we believe those CIG figures.

e: whatever that tracker says, the behavior of CIG for many years, and especially now, has been complete opposite of a company awash in funds. Why would they need external investors to start with?

I never trusted that tracker, not from day one, it always seemed to be a tool they used to manipulate backers into donating. If I get nothing else when this loving walking corpse finally collapses, it will be proof that the tracker was always entirely fictional.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

snail posted:

Isn’t that what salvage was originally pitched as?

It’s why they insist that all the ships will have realistic routing for pipes and wires and all that stuff other games don’t have because who the gently caress cares, since in the BDSSE when you go to carve up a wreck you have to be careful not to hit a live space wire and space electrocute yourself or something.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s why they insist that all the ships will have realistic routing for pipes and wires and all that stuff other games don’t have because who the gently caress cares, since in the BDSSE when you go to carve up a wreck you have to be careful not to hit a live space wire and space electrocute yourself or something.

The ships used to have that, including components inside the walls that you couldn't see but that were rendered anyways. That was due the optimistic "we will just layer X on top". Nowadays all the pipes and other grebels are merely cosmetic. (I mean, they have always been merely cosmetic but nowadays they don't really pretend otherwise)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s not very fidelitous, does Chris Roberts know about this?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That’s not very fidelitous, does Chris Roberts know about this?

I'm pretty sure the developers have setup observation posts that ring the alarm if Chris is seen. Everybody! Switch to working on shoelaces!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

trucutru posted:

The ships used to have that, including components inside the walls that you couldn't see but that were rendered anyways. That was due the optimistic "we will just layer X on top". Nowadays all the pipes and other grebels are merely cosmetic. (I mean, they have always been merely cosmetic but nowadays they don't really pretend otherwise)

And there was also that sneaky quote in the Jennison letter where they refused to give the artists asset budgets because “cryengine would handle that bit” — so of course the higher-ups demanded that a ton of extra polys and oversized textures be part of the package for no sane or sensible reason. And no-one could convince them that, no, the engine didn't actually handle all that and needed to be fed reasonable amounts of data to meet some reasonable performance goal…

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This random post on Hacker News talked about the poly-count thing again recently. No idea if it's legit

quote:

I worked on the first demo of Star Citizen a decade ago, prior to the announcement and up through the first Kickstarter. I haven't followed the development much in recent years. I feel like there's been a joke circulating for awhile about finally implementing a "roadmap to a roadmap". Here's my (very limited) insight into how the project took the direction it did.

Chris Roberts is a brilliant guy to work with, a first rate coder and by any standard a visionary. He seems to have a new idea every ten seconds, and they usually begin "it would be cool if..." An hour later, you're still taking notes and he's saying, "and it would be realllly cool if..." Technical difficulties and obstacles were, at that stage anyway, actually a reason to do things. Part of the idea was to prove that PC gaming would always outstrip the console experience. Polygon counts could be made higher, and higher again. The goal wasn't performance, but the opposite - how much could you put on the screen. Think about it now with 10 years of hindsight, that's a race you're only one ever one generation of consoles away from losing.

My impression of working with him was that there's no such thing as practical constraints. A good enough coder should be able to get around anything. Prior to the first demo, there was a hard deadline to have something to show, so a lot of corners had to be cut. Once that happened, his attitude immediately shifted to "sky's the limit". And with the wild success of the first round of crowd funding, that became "spare NO expense." This was never just a space game, or even only his magnum opus. It's a fully functioning universe that exists in his mind, that just needs to be turned into code. Everything Wing Commander was limited by, this would be unconstrained by. Everything is possible as long as you're committed to always building for the latest platform, on the most powerful machine in the known universe, and your audience was committed to having the same hardware. A newer engine comes out or newer hardware? Tear down everything and rebuild for it.

So, I never thought that this was a crowd-funded game about the making of a game. I think it's what happens when perfectionism meets unlimited resources. I also have to say that the community forum was very, very involved and demanding from the beginning. They were already playing the game they imagined in their own heads. Having put their dollars in, they felt entitled to their say in feature development. And this crowd involvement, their one-upping each other's ideas, mixed with Chris's almost infinite drive to incorporate new features, and his impulse to say yes to almost anything that sounded cool, and then a tsunami of cash, created a dynamic of setting up more and more far-fetched goals right out of the gate.

Around that point, what I had built - which was never actually integrated into a working build - was jettisoned for a different approach. He hired 500 people and I sort of drifted off without ever being specifically let go.

Still, it was a great experience, one of the most challenging and certainly one of the most fun projects I've ever worked on, especially in the sky's-the-limit phase, and Chris is the kind of demanding but fair person who held everyone to high standards, but who held himself to the highest. He was a pleasure to work with. I hope he finishes his game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

imagine writing code too bad for Star Citizen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Pixelate posted:

This random post on Hacker News talked about the poly-count thing again recently. No idea if it's legit

It certainly paints him as being utterly incompetent at and ignorant of every detail, aspect, principle, and inner workings of computer hardware and software (and project management), and as being, not so much a visionary or a creative person, as just your average 5-year-old. But being able to convince the odd sort here and there otherwise.

So it's probably legit.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I guess :crobear:'s own words are now against the 'rules' of SC sub :shrug:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Pixelate posted:

This is exactly why they'll never finish:

• No design document / target vision
  • Unchecked scope creep
  • A fundamental misconception that technical constraints (engine, performance, etc.) can be solved by faster / better hardware
  • No understanding of dependencies (e.g. that if a better engine is available they should switch to it)
  • The idea there's a "challenge" or something with consoles
  • Weird "realism" / "fidelity" fetichism
  • Deficient project organisation, with people's work chucked out "to try a different approach"...
  • Quantity of employees over working processes and clearly defined scopes of work

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pixelate posted:

quote:

Another thing I did was a surprise for CR, basically a tool to prototype solar systems as you would like them to be and then reverse out masses and gravitation to make them procedural. He wasn't into it. He said "there's no way we're designing solar systems in Flash". So.. ehh.

can't believe i actually agree with Chris

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dwesa posted:

I guess :crobear:'s own words are now against the 'rules' of SC sub :shrug:

that image layout is illegal in /r/sc. it's an unwritten law, but it's common sense now.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

sebmojo posted:

i will happily :toxx: that if sq42 ever comes out it will be widely accepted as inferior to CoD:IW. if it's even close I'll take the ban.

I think you'll get out of this one because by the time SQ42 releases no one will remember that there was a Call of Duty space game to compare it against.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
:crobear: "there's no way we're designing solar systems in Flash"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Shazback posted:

:crobear: "there's no way we're designing solar systems in Flash"

Coincidentally, the engine they chose used Scaleform to drive a lot of its graphics, which was pretty much Flash… :haw:

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

marumaru posted:

that image layout is illegal in /r/sc. it's an unwritten law, but it's common sense now.

Out of curiosity - why is that image layout illegal? I’m unfamiliar with Reddit rules, so sorry if that’s obvious to everybody else.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Blackstone posted:

Out of curiosity - why is that image layout illegal? I’m unfamiliar with Reddit rules, so sorry if that’s obvious to everybody else.

they were originally posted on /r/starcitizen_refunds, so /r/starcitizen mods will pretty much instantly delete your posts if you post one of them

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

marumaru posted:

Well, see, the thing is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

marumaru posted:

they were originally posted on /r/starcitizen_refunds, so /r/starcitizen mods will pretty much instantly delete your posts if you post one of them

Thanks - sometimes I think I'm getting to old for the internet.