Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Not sure if you're being serious, but yes, of course.

i was joking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ll give up my car but never my garage

garages own

I’m not giving up my car either. anti car people are dumb

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

akadajet posted:

I’m not giving up my car either. anti car people are dumb

you're dumb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I drove today for the first time in 3 weeks. i hate it. gj covid for curing me of my motor vehicle obsession.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

motorcycles still rule. cars are meh

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

going for a proper drive is still fun

driving to work or the store on slow, arrow-straight, rutted-up american streets loving suuuuucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The_Franz posted:

driving to work or the store on slow, arrow-straight, rutted-up american streets loving suuuuucks

holy poo poo the potholes are out in force, there were some canyon sized ones i barely dodged today

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
there's one particular onramp here that has disintegrated so badly during covid that i no longer feel safe taking it on my motorcycle at night, when i can't see the missing chunks. even in the day it's sketchy as hell because i can't merge over when required, but have to dodge around the holes.

san francisco's roads are not the worst i've driven on, but by god are they ever shameful for a city with so much money and so little weather.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

san francisco's roads are not the worst i've driven on, but by god are they ever shameful for a city with so much money and so little weather.
Oh man back before covid i went to SF and a coworker took us from the office to the dinner spot in his sick new M3, and he had to like row between 1st and 2nd the whole time while swerving around all the potholes. I can't imagine driving something like that on the daily out there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

there's one particular onramp here that has disintegrated so badly during covid that i no longer feel safe taking it on my motorcycle at night, when i can't see the missing chunks. even in the day it's sketchy as hell because i can't merge over when required, but have to dodge around the holes.

lol you've never driven anywhere where the weather actually changes huh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

That would be more of an airplane trip

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mystes posted:

That would be more of an airplane trip
ONE WHOLE onramp is hosed! the worst! imagine driving somewhere that entire interstates crumble annually!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Endless Mike posted:

you need a better yospos.xls man

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Upgrade to a yospos.xlsx imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

ONE WHOLE onramp is hosed! the worst! imagine driving somewhere that entire interstates crumble annually!

i'm in this post and i don't like it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i only keep LAN.DC.xls, sorry. yospos is too much to keep up on

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

i'm in this post and i don't like it.

don't worry, I'm sure youngkin will be sure to expand i-66 to 20 lanes you'll have plenty of options to avoid crumbling roads

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I drove to the office for the first time in ~18 months the other day to print some stuff out

40 minutes there and 40 minutes back. The whole time I was getting more and more furious that I had ever made commuting a regular part of my life. Never again.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

Well, the software resellers seem to handle it just fine.

I'd imagine the people selling SolidWorks wouldn't have to deal with quite as many 40-year-old dudes trying to get a student license so they could creep on 18-year-olds, though

yeah, while it wouldn't have been difficult to do, there's no incentive to early facebook as a platform to do so in a purely profit-driven sense

i feel it also left the door open as a fallback to being the de facto alumni network portal, should they have wanted to stabilize their user population

granted, as a creepo stalking platform they used to encourage you to post your class schedule. it's always been terrible for one reason or another

FrozenVent posted:

have “Facebook class of (year)” where people from your graduating class +/- 4 get to see your poo poo and everyone outside that sees some sort of LinkedIn

lol joke that would have been a shot show too

I just want don’t want my mom to see when I reply to people with “ok boomer” and they blow up, she takes offense to boomer

heck, this is a decent idea, but they'd for sure mess it up with something like 'mentors' where people could bleed into other class ranges and creep from a leadership position

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeaaaah when i think back to how personal it was, with your class schedule and what dorm you lived in and all that, it was really sketchy. i suppose it seemed fine because it was 2006 and it was just your classmates anyway, what could go wrong?

but there's a reason it's illegal for an educational institution to reveal a student's schedule, by a national act similar to HIPAA. (FERPA)

i've told the story before about our student whose family learned, from a helpful office worker, that she was taking a class in human sexuality, and a couple of uncles showed up a few days later and abducted her and took her back to her home country to be a proper woman according to their culture.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao american "infrastructure"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

he has a pilot's license, so i'd expect him to know at least a little bit about how this poo poo works

if he got a third-class medical in 2000, though, and nothing since, that means he hasn't flown as a pilot (legally) since 2005 at the latest. i wonder why. if i were a billionaire with a pilot's license i would just be flying my giant flying boat luxury yacht all around the world, gently caress everything else

probably bribed someone to pass him and he can't actually fly a plane at all. he got the license so he could hang with the cool kids and be like "yeah I got a pilot's license, hey epstein can I fly the plane next time you're off to little st james"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao american "infrastructure"

Build Back Badly

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

how the hell did low profile tires ever become a thing? seems like a good way to gently caress up some rims

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

how the hell did low profile tires ever become a thing? seems like a good way to gently caress up some rims
car enthusiasts who think giant wheels are cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i'd be 100% fine with banning cars but keeping motorcycles. they're more fun and cars are the bigger problem anyway

anyway our "garage" is just a shed since it has a small door. i want to tear it down and replace it with something else but in the meantime its a good project space and the more tropically inclined plants enjoy it.

lol the geraniums just bloom year round now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

do you even stance bro?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

i'd be 100% fine with banning cars but keeping motorcycles. they're more fun and cars are the bigger problem anyway

anyway our "garage" is just a shed since it has a small door. i want to tear it down and replace it with something else but in the meantime its a good project space and the more tropically inclined plants enjoy it.

lol the geraniums just bloom year round now

ooh la la mister fancy heated garage. i've got all my plants crammed into my bedroom in front of the bay window, with a couple grow lights over them so they don't melt over the winter.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

ooh la la mister fancy heated garage. i've got all my plants crammed into my bedroom in front of the bay window, with a couple grow lights over them so they don't melt over the winter.

lol you got me, we have this super high-tech heating system to keep the plants from dying:

i scored a great deal on some leds so now we can run the radiator and the light at the same time! (before it was just a 1kw MH bulb which took care of heating and lighting while it was on)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

High performance race cars started having bigger and bigger disc brakes, which necessitated bigger and bigger wheels to fit them inside. People are copying that.

Also, car designers like to draw concepts with exaggerated features because they think it looks cool, including enormous Hot Wheels wheels and tiny little tank slit windows. This is partly just a styling fad, but because all the car designers on the planet come from two specific design schools, all their stuff looks the same and trends rapidly become universal across the industry.

There is something to be said for tires with a narrower sidewall being stiffer in turns, but the rubber-band ones you see these days have gone far past the point of mechanical utility. All you're doing when you get the 21 inch wheels instead of the 17s is making your ride suck more and your tire bill go up.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i'm struggling to find any definitive proof that shorter side walls improve performance, all i can see is the opposite

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raymond Loewy Studebaker concept sketch from 1961:

Average Art Center grad concept car sketch from the mid-2010s:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 7, 2022

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

Raymond Lowey Studebaker concept sketch from 1961:

I'm the Coca-Cola

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Raymond Lowey Studebaker concept sketch from 1961:

coca cola

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gently caress i wanted to be the coca-cola :(

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

it also lets tire manufacturers charge more money for less material. tire prices seems to increase with wheel sizes, even if the overall tire width and diameter remains the same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

i'm struggling to find any definitive proof that shorter side walls improve performance, all i can see is the opposite

Shorter sidewalls don't flex as much in turns, and to a point, that gives you better turning performance on a racetrack.

As with most things there is a sweet spot, and beyond that point the performance will actually start regressing. Car suspension systems are designed with the flexibility and shock absorption of the pneumatic tire as part of the equation. If you reduce your tire to a rubber band, you lose all that shock absorption, and in addition to the ride becoming poo poo, the tire will bounce around over small bumps in the road rather than deforming and tracking them. This effect is more pronounced if your road is at all unsmooth, like every road that is not a racetrack.

And, of course, all of these factors literally only matter if you are driving the car at the edge of its performance. Thinner sidewalls don't increase your stopping power or road holding power in an emergency situation, so they don't add safety. If you can fit smaller wheels over your brakes, you might as well do it and put on some 60 or 70 profile tires and enjoy the quieter, more comfortable ride.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

don't forget increased unsprung mass from bigger rims. my car with 18" wheels is 1/10th of a second quicker than the one with the 20" 'upgrade' rims

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz posted:

it also lets tire manufacturers charge more money for less material. tire prices seems to increase with wheel sizes, even if the overall tire width and diameter remains the same

Eh that's only partially a scam. It is actually harder to make low profile tires, because you have to design them to remain essentially rectangular in profile when inflated with air, which takes more complicated engineering. You also need fancier molds to make them because they have to be stiff to stay rectangular, which means they can't flex as much in general, which makes them harder to pull out of the molds. Everything is connected

E: and just on the safety note, let's not forget the basic economics of the situation. The most important tire safety factor is that you replace it before it gets dried out and cracked and worn down. My little old car with brand new 15/70 Yokohamas that I can replace regularly because they're so cheap will absolutely stop better than a Model S Plaid with 22/25 Pirellis that are completely bald and cracked because the owner didn't anticipate it would cost $9,000 a set to replace them.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

my tire rims are all hosed up thanks to this trend