Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Xi looking thicc as hell at the Olympic ceremony :drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Smeef posted:

Xi looking thicc as hell at the Olympic ceremony :drat:

Been hitting that HUNNY hard.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

McGavin posted:

Tigers are so hard to draw that Canada didn't even bother. This is what we got for Year of the Pig though:

They've got themselves a pigman, Jerry! A pigman!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

wujing is ringo, bajie is george, wukong is john, xuanzhang is paul

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Gotta admit, this opening ceremony is pretty awesome. It’s like a mix of Tron and Thor Ragnarok. The stormtrooper-looking guys are a little on the nose, though.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

McGavin posted:

Been hitting that HUNNY hard.

A good tailor is so hard to find these days

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Smeef posted:

Gotta admit, this opening ceremony is pretty awesome. It’s like a mix of Tron and Thor Ragnarok. The stormtrooper-looking guys are a little on the nose, though.

I want one of those 3-metre colour-changing glowsticks from the intro dance.

Edit: Props for the choice of "imagine" for backing music.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 4, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can you spot it?

The Chinese skater reaches between the feet of the Canadian skater at the rear and throws the little witches hat right under the feet of the Canadian in second.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Did anything come of that or did everyone pretend like it didn’t happen

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
China won gold. Canada was disqualified.

So was every other country between China and a gold medal.

For some reason.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/sports/olympics/china-wins-speedskating-relay-gold.html

quote:

The road to gold was not easy for the Chinese. They initially finished in last place in the semifinals and did not qualify to advance. But after officials conferred and reviewed replays of the race for several minutes, both the United States, which had finished second in the semifinal, and Russia, which finished third, were disqualified.

“We skated flawlessly,” the American skater Ryan Pivirotto said with disappointment, before explaining that the violation was called on him. An official from the International Skating Union said that Pivirotto had illegally crossed from the infield onto the raceway while preparing to tag in, blocking a Chinese skater.

With the disqualifications, the Chinese advanced to the finals, and they did not waste their second chance.

Canada appeared to have finished third in the finals but was disqualified for causing a collision, allowing Hungary to take the bronze.

"The road to gold was not easy for the Chinese" what with all those other countries who were faster.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 7, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Years of training and then *boop*

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's some impressive cheating. Nobody can say that they don't work hard at it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I'll come right out and say it - that looks like a very well practised move.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012
I feel sorry for the guy who wiped out, but that was such a good move I had to watch the video 3 times before i could even spot what happened. I could still be convinced it was an accident.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

it would be if the others werent outright disqualified

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you spot it?

The Chinese skater reaches between the feet of the Canadian skater at the rear and throws the little witches hat right under the feet of the Canadian in second.

thats loving nuts

Megillah Gorilla posted:

For some reason.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/sports/olympics/china-wins-speedskating-relay-gold.html

"The road to gold was not easy for the Chinese" what with all those other countries who were faster.

loving really. they clearly cheated, its right there on film.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

drat that was smooth as hell lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you spot it?

Cheating with Chinese characteristics

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Cheating Winning with Chinese characteristics

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

For some reason.

I'm having some trouble tracking down exactly what happened, but apparently the Canadian DQ referred to another incident where the Canadian collided with someone from the Hungarian team. Meanwhile for this specific incident, again, I'm having trouble finding any collaborating sources but I did run into this on Reddit:

quote:

②It was indeed the No. 43 Chinese player Fan Kexin who hit the mark, and the mark bounced to the No. 50 player Alyson Charles in front. Fan was then brought down by Alyson who fell.

③The referee's penalty did not favor Fan, and Alyson was sentenced to the next round in fourth, and eventually made it to the Group B final. Fan missed the next round.

Edit: The reddit source links to some Chinese video site that I think wants me to scan a QR code and download their app, and that's a nope from me.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 7, 2022

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you spot it?

There are some great gifs here of more horseshit

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/2022-winter-olympics-beijing-short-track-speed-skating-judges-cheating

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

That's loving shameless, imagine training all your life, just for that greasy oval office to come along and shithouse you over.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
I too hate that Greasy oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

drat that was smooth as hell lol

Yeah. I mean, looks like a practicing deliberate move, which would make it cheating, but drat.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Oh yeah it was 100% intentional and cheating I’m just impressed in spite of myself

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cheating well is a skill like any other. My students lacked it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

https://apnews.com/9c6528c11ad5ae3fae368ae26790ae56

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That sure is… something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol at this point the only thing that could make this fuckshow better is if Russian sochi dogs randomly start chasing olympians during the games

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
are we sure this isn't a live action remake of a Simpson's episode?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lmao

At least people get to see what most of China actually looks like instead of just pictures of the Pudong skyline.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Free slalom right into the cooling towers

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Why not just have them ski down the big steam stacks in that case, save some money.

edit: fukn beaten...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also I know that Olympics/World Cups etc are littered with White Elephant structures, and infrastructure that never gets used afterwards. This is not a China only phenomenon.

But seriously, does anyone believe that a ski jump in the industrial outskirts of Beijing will ever get used again? Are there enough Beijinger skiing enthusiasts to make it viable? Enough Chinese skiing enthusiasts making the trip up north on holidays?

Are they going to have to dismantle it, (possibly at greater cost than actually building the monstrosity), in a couple of months?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

yeah, but the “cost” is money paid to the friends of people who lobbied to get the Olympics and to build it. This is not a china-specific problem though, this is just the olympics

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

The article says it's permanent, so there you go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

The article says it's permanent, so there you go.

Permanent as is gonna fall over in 6 months like some freeways we’ve seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Permanent as in the IOC took all the money China was going to use to tear it down and spent it on underage prostitutes and drugs.