Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The blink dog took skill focus: loving the hobbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The blink dog took skill focus: loving the hobbit.

Tonight You

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Raine Blink Dog

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

But it's fine when an elf gets involved with a guy 1/100 her age?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Themes:
The Something Awful Forums
and
The Forgotten Realms
Story:
The Something Awful Forums were once the foremost source of information on Dungeons & Dragons. But today, they're a shadow of their former glory. No one visits them anymore, and the moderators have all but given up. But one day, a new user signs up, and they find themselves drawn in.

https://narrative-device.herokuapp.com/createstory

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Some really good handling of an off-the wall situation

Great job. You did the right things.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BrainParasite posted:

But it's fine when an elf gets involved with a guy 1/100 her age?

How Glindabell got her groove back

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I saw a pretty good analysis of the player's at dimension 20, I expected to hate it b/c of the clickbaity title but it was pretty good and made me think about who I am as a player and what types of characters I make best (not necessarily most frequently). My best characters tend to be ones with substantial disgust for something, like immediate disgust for killing or for having their freedoms impugned. Something that comes up frequently and requires work to avoid. Which I haven't always done and the one character I'm currently playing I don't have a clear theory of what they hate so much (they are a bit of a fancy lad; they're clearly OK with killing but I think I still have some options they're a BITD cultist).

It's made me revisit "actually learning improv theory" as a thought experiment but I'm pretty sure I'd become insufferable for at least a few weeks if I did that.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there anyone here familiar with Harnworld? What’s be a good place to learn the setting info (assume I care almost nothing for rules mechanics unless it helps convey flavor). I’m especially interested in the Shek-Pvar. Wizards.

I recent got to flip through a worn copy of Shek-Pvar: Magic Rules and Environment and the barebones lore info on the Shek-Pvar was kinda interesting and combined with some past things I’ve heard about harm part of me wants to learn more.

Hiya!

There's two distinct bits to Hârn: the setting, and Hârnmaster, which is the RPG for that setting. The former is system agnostic though it does make some assumptions about how magic works. The latter is a skill-based percentile system that's serviceable, the only really interesting posts being the combat and wound system and the integration with the Hârn setting. One does not need Hârnmaster to play in Hârn, however, and there's guides for using most popular systems around the internet. I think GURPS and various D&Ds are the most common.

The basic pieces for the setting are HârnWorld and Hârndex, both of which are from Columbia Games and run about 64 pages. The former is a general article that covers the whole island and gives you a high-level overview of the nations, barbarians, etc. Think of it like the entry on the British Isles in a decent encyclopedia and you won't be far off.

Hârndex is a set of entries, mostly a couple of sentences to a paragraph on everything named on the big Hârn map and a bunch of other general topics, like the religions and gods, creatures, feudalism, etc.

Between these two you'll get a good feel for the setting and can focus on a particular kingdom or region to play in, and then pick up the appropriate kingdom module and possibly a manor or keep entry for more detail.

Happy to answer any questions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hypnobeard posted:

One does not need Hârnmaster to play in Hârn, however,

Ah, Hârn reduction

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For the Minotaur story I blame Poseidon, who is a humongous dick.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"My mom was a huge bitch... And dad... what a dog-fucker"

Like... I think it's okay to be squicked out by a background that involves overt tones of bestiality. That bestiality being consensual doesn't make it less weird. Like, fundamentally, you're still getting turned on by a dog, right?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Splicer posted:

Themes:
The Something Awful Forums
and
The Forgotten Realms
Story:
The Something Awful Forums were once the foremost source of information on Dungeons & Dragons. But today, they're a shadow of their former glory. No one visits them anymore, and the moderators have all but given up. But one day, a new user signs up, and they find themselves drawn in.

https://narrative-device.herokuapp.com/createstory

My brain always tries to read that url as "hero hook-up" first, which I feel is appropriate to the current topic.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Fundamentally, the point of a chase system is to adjudicate whether you can get into combat (catch the dude) or not (he gets away).

Your player wants to take a shot, you can just say "oh, you can't get a good shot at this distance." If the player starts describing actions they wish their character to take in order to get a good shot, then perfect - you should be able to interpret those in the context of the chase rules and now they are engaging with the game. Hopefully the chase rules can handle actions of varying description.

If the player instead tries to argue that "no I do have a shot, and we are in combat" you can just be like "look, the game says you don't and you're not. Win the chase to get into combat."

If they want to play cops and robbers and spend the whole time arguing "I did so hit you!" "Did not!" then fine, whatever. But avoiding that bullshit is fundamentally what RPG rules are for.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

dwarf74 posted:

Like... I think it's okay to be squicked out by a background that involves overt tones of bestiality. That bestiality being consensual doesn't make it less weird. Like, fundamentally, you're still getting turned on by a dog, right?

I just started a 5e Out of the Abyss campaign and realistically my character’s only romance option is the minotaur barbarian (but even that’s kind of a step too far IMO so she will not be dating anyone)

Imagine trying to roll up to any table with a “well, my conception involved dog sex” and not getting shamed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Of course it's okay to be squicked out. The point I'm making isn't that it's not squicky or whatever, just that comparative to things that already exist in lots of pre-existing D&D/Pathfinder publications over the last 20 years, it is genuinely not that bad. Do be squicked out by the drow priestess-glabrezu pairing I pointed out (that makes a draegloth), which is in 5e. Do be squicked out by all the dragonfucking. And tbh, I've never played with a group where a weird half-breed (dragon, fiend, blink dog, whatever) is not gonna get some gutter humour jokes from others at the table in good fun. Just the doors have been incredibly destroyed for decades, probably going back before the millennium, for characters in D&D that we can say "yep, your parents were doing it REAL freaky."

And I'm still gonna say that consensual blink dog loving as a background is nowhere near as bad as "all half-orcs are products of rape," because this is Trad Games and you're all familiar with how much stuff about orcs is fantasy fear of the Savage Other and all that racist poo poo (including lots of narratives about saving White women from rapists of other races [not defending this, just noting it]).

Jimbozig posted:

Fundamentally, the point of a chase system is to adjudicate whether you can get into combat (catch the dude) or not (he gets away).

Your player wants to take a shot, you can just say "oh, you can't get a good shot at this distance." If the player starts describing actions they wish their character to take in order to get a good shot, then perfect - you should be able to interpret those in the context of the chase rules and now they are engaging with the game. Hopefully the chase rules can handle actions of varying description.

If the player instead tries to argue that "no I do have a shot, and we are in combat" you can just be like "look, the game says you don't and you're not. Win the chase to get into combat."

If they want to play cops and robbers and spend the whole time arguing "I did so hit you!" "Did not!" then fine, whatever. But avoiding that bullshit is fundamentally what RPG rules are for.

This is a pretty good take on that argument. One thing that I'm not sure if the AP hyphz ran includes, and that was notably in the 1e pathfinder chase rules (substantially the same but not exactly) and is missing in the 2e chase rules, is a diagram of the entire chase with a node and connection setup so a prospective GM can see how it all comes together. Thinking about it, not having that diagram probably hurts seeing how it all works together for a new GM but I would expect one in a published adventure using the chase rules. For your home games, Paizo sells a deck of Chase Cards and a guide to putting them together but that's an additional play aid for doing it yourself, not something the AP should expect you to have.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 7, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

change my name posted:

Imagine trying to roll up to any table with a “well, my conception involved dog sex” and not getting shamed
What if your character is a dog

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How many posts and no one's brought up the half-mimic yet?

It's got the iconic line "Play if you want... to have a backstory where one of your parents had sex with a treasure chest." and everything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd play a Half-Mimic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
setting that works on a weird mix of spontaneous generation and Lamarckian principles, where half-X / half-Y creatures just kind of spontaneously manifest in border regions

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

elves come from old forests. half-elves come from young forests. halflings come from tilled soil. humans come from towns. dwarves come from cities. all of them are basically one species and culture but there are weird and not always "accurate" social expectations attached to each phenotype

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's got the iconic line "Play if you want... to have a backstory where one of your parents had sex with a treasure chest." and everything.

Male Names: Usually human names
Female Names: Usually treasure chest names

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

setting that works on a weird mix of spontaneous generation and Lamarckian principles, where half-X / half-Y creatures just kind of spontaneously manifest in border regions

That's pretty much just Xanth

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Why "usually human names" when if anyone would gently caress a treasure chest it's surely a dwarf

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why "usually human names" when if anyone would gently caress a treasure chest it's surely a dwarf

Humans are perverts

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

i was trying to make this less grody :negative:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
RPG where it's like Gamma World but you randomly generate which halves you are. Half elf half kobold.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Obligatory plug for All Of Their Strengths goes here.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

And I'm still gonna say that consensual blink dog loving as a background is nowhere near as bad as "all half-orcs are products of rape," because this is Trad Games and you're all familiar with how much stuff about orcs is fantasy fear of the Savage Other and all that racist poo poo (including lots of narratives about saving White women from rapists of other races [not defending this, just noting it]).
Absolutely nobody is making the comparison between these things other than you, and I sincerely doubt you'd find anyone here to defend it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anybody play or read about any neat pen & paper rpgs lately that aren't any of the main major ones like dungeons & dragons?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

No because I'm still waiting for Mutants in the Now to clear customs and I have to complain to UPS about losing my copy of Flying Circus.
I can't really understand why delivery companies exist when they cost more yet are worse than regular mail.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Backstory is the mimic was disguised as a stall panel with a glory hole in the bathroom of a bar.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

FirstAidKite posted:

Anybody play or read about any neat pen & paper rpgs lately that aren't any of the main major ones like dungeons & dragons?

I joined a Fellowship game recently and it's going pretty well. We fought a bunch of shadow demons off a train last session!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

"Play a Half-Mimic if you want...

To be a member of a race that is good at hiding and trickery."

I don't know if I like this phrasing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've got a Fellowship game on tonight! Having got the attention of the overlord by burning down his house (and the city around it) they're now trying to persuade a bunch of dwarves to maybe do something except the dwarves have complete confidence in their fortress-like defences and are quite happy to sit tight and let the war pass them by.

(It is not going to pass them by.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Also Erfworld

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FirstAidKite posted:

Wildsea 1.0 pdfs dropped last week but I'm waiting for the physical book to properly try it out I think.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Play a Half-Mimic if you want...

To be a member of a race that is good at hiding and trickery."

I don't know if I like this phrasing.

"Hey, what species are you picking?"
"The sexy smart one."

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Squidster posted:

"Hey, what species are you picking?"
"The sexy smart one."

Neverwinter Nights was my introduction to the old style of tiefling, and I still remember the companion NPC himbo tiefling from the epic level expansion. His background was he was descended from some lust demon and had spent time in a harem before escaping to be an adventurer iirc. It was fun pairing him with the blackguard ghost of the titty elf, the npc who they gave jiggle physics and a custom corset model.

She was a peak early 2000's videogame choice too. "Hey let's make a tragic paladin who loses everything and turns against the city. Instead of making her in the character builder like every other npc do a custom model in a metal corset with tits that wobble." This was a game that at launch didn't support robes and so wizards were running around in jumpsuits, but by god did they include jiggle physics for a waifu that dies in the first act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

In the same Fellowship train, tonight the PCs are going to get their airship and start having more control over where they go and when.