Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Entropic posted:

we have daily WFH check-in meetings at 8:15 which is weird because it disrupts me from getting into any real work I were to start at 8:00

Join the meeting from your phone and just go back to bed when it's over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have 2x a week c-level manager meetings where I'm the sole IT guy giving updates on what our group is working on.

At 7:45am.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

Join the meeting from your phone and just go back to bed when it's over

"CAMERAS ON PLEASE"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My new headrest for my office chair came, for improved napping while on the clock.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Data Graham posted:

"CAMERAS ON PLEASE"

My camera /is/ on. its just covered with a folded piece of paper and tape

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

"CAMERAS ON PLEASE"

The power move is set up a Vtuber rig with the dumbest/silliest character you can find or make. Really stick to the letter of the law.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

xsf421 posted:

I negotiated full remote, it went suspiciously easy until I got a message asking why I wasn’t in the office. “You’re full remote except for the days I want you to come in”

:yotj:

As long as you have "full remote" in writing I would just point to that and laugh.

But do get a new job, red flags like these generally keep good company with other, worse red flags :v:

Entropic posted:

we have daily WFH check-in meetings at 8:15 which is weird because it disrupts me from getting into any real work I were to start at 8:00

This is fine. Spend those minutes to digest whatever email came in since yesterday while drinking a cup of your favourite caffeinated beverage and finishing up breakfast :sun:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The power move is set up a Vtuber rig with the dumbest/silliest character you can find or make. Really stick to the letter of the law.

Back when WFH started (march 2020) and it was still fresh and fun, I put on a webcam filter that edited a cat on my head for April Fool's Day. I think I stopped turning on my camera a week after that. :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cage-free egghead posted:

I would do this too but my overbearing coworker starts asking where anyone is even its a minute after the hour.
Write a script that auto-replies with "takin' a poo poo".

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got FaceRig Pro a few years ago in a Humble Bundle, and when I first started doing a regular WFH as part of my gig, I'd use that. The psycho clown one got the best reactions.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
If you need an excuse to skip your Friday afternoon meetings, Webex is currently having issues.

https://status.webex.com

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yup. I had to send out a company wide email about this.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

Yup. I had to send out a company wide email about this.

this is how IT professionals handle unpleasant meetings

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Webex is now blaming their CA for all their issues and said they released a new cert but you may have to install it? The gently caress?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I had a new one last week. A user was working out of a different office that normal for the day, she plugged her laptop in at a docking monitor in that office and apparently everything went well until the monitor went to sleep, when she'd wake it back up the screen was full of errors from everything about not being able to restore connection to the network drives, not being able to talk to servers, basically it was behaving like something was yanking the network cord when it went into sleep mode. Fortunately early on in the troubleshooting process the user mentioned "There's a phone cord running from the wall to the back of the monitor, is that supposed to be there?" She asked around and apparently someone was "messing around" with that desk a few days ago and swapped out the network cable with a phone cord for who knows what reason. I'm so glad the user was tech savvy enough to notice that, because that would have been a nightmare to troubleshoot remotely if they weren't able to spot the difference.

I'm also surprised the network apparently worked at all over a CAT3, and it was only failing when power conditions changed. I would have thought those missing wires would have made more of a difference.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
ConnectWise View is an absolute godsend for situations like that, where just being able to physically inspect something means you can solve it in five minutes. It’s the next best thing to actually being on site.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Knormal posted:

I had a new one last week. A user was working out of a different office that normal for the day, she plugged her laptop in at a docking monitor in that office and apparently everything went well until the monitor went to sleep, when she'd wake it back up the screen was full of errors from everything about not being able to restore connection to the network drives, not being able to talk to servers, basically it was behaving like something was yanking the network cord when it went into sleep mode. Fortunately early on in the troubleshooting process the user mentioned "There's a phone cord running from the wall to the back of the monitor, is that supposed to be there?" She asked around and apparently someone was "messing around" with that desk a few days ago and swapped out the network cable with a phone cord for who knows what reason. I'm so glad the user was tech savvy enough to notice that, because that would have been a nightmare to troubleshoot remotely if they weren't able to spot the difference.

I'm also surprised the network apparently worked at all over a CAT3, and it was only failing when power conditions changed. I would have thought those missing wires would have made more of a difference.

Cat3 is rated for 10 Mbps. Get everything right and you might get 100 Mbps. In the early and mid-90's it's what we generally used.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ancient grandpa spotted.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Nobody's ancient if they don't remember thinnet.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Nobody's ancient if they don't remember thinnet.

Or Thicknet. It's fun to gently caress with AV experts when they say "we need to make X SDI cables at this rate/hour" and you get a couple crates of old base5 cables saying "we got these bnc cables already, are these not enough?".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Hey I used to make those things out of the BNC terminators my dad had left over when I was 8 years old! :haw:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Flashbacks of my last job. We had dozens of those things plus all other manner of connectors like pomona, RF, 2.4 mm, 3.5 mm, and everyone's favorite the General Radio Type 874

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Webex is now blaming their CA for all their issues and said they released a new cert but you may have to install it? The gently caress?

Yeah, their CA's OCSP responders were down, so even though the cert was valid, there was no way to check its revocation status.

https://status.hydrantid.com/

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

quote:

I was wondering if you would be able to help me...it looks like my screen has a crack but doesn't...the picture is also all distorted. Any feedback? Or is it just time for an upgrade?

Somehow I got included on this ticket (I'm the enterprise architect here) but I still can't believe the balls on people. Like "oh yeah this must have just happened spontaneously" as if we can't see the point of impact of whatever you had sandwiched in between the lid and the case when you closed it.

We have insurance on every laptop, it's fine. Don't treat me like some loving muppet and act like you have no idea how it happened. Just be a fucken adult, admit you made a mistake, and let's move on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

nexxai posted:

Somehow I got included on this ticket (I'm the enterprise architect here) but I still can't believe the balls on people. Like "oh yeah this must have just happened spontaneously" as if we can't see the point of impact of whatever you had sandwiched in between the lid and the case when you closed it.

We have insurance on every laptop, it's fine. Don't treat me like some loving muppet and act like you have no idea how it happened. Just be a fucken adult, admit you made a mistake, and let's move on.

It was a really fun moment when someone was swearing up and down they didn’t know what happened to their screen. I take a corporate iphone, slide it over the crack and see it perfectly fill the cracked outline.

“Please check your laptop for stuff before closing the lid. A new screen will be installed by the end of the week. “

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am beyond caring about the "why" and I am honestly confused why anyone else would be either. They might not legitimately know what caused the screen to break. It also doesn't matter if they know. Laptops and phones breaking as people use them is simply the cost of doing business.

I can assure you 100% that they don't want to go through the headache of getting a laptop replaced. Almost as much as you not wanting to replace it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Screen replacements are dead simple even if it’s not covered by warranty / insurance

Also, I know plenty of end users that are oblivious enough that they wouldn’t have noticed anything sitting on their laptop before closing the lid and would honestly believe “it just happened”

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sickening posted:

I am beyond caring about the "why" and I am honestly confused why anyone else would be either. They might not legitimately know what caused the screen to break. It also doesn't matter if they know. Laptops and phones breaking as people use them is simply the cost of doing business.

I can assure you 100% that they don't want to go through the headache of getting a laptop replaced. Almost as much as you not wanting to replace it.

I'd be more inclined to think they want an upgrade(based on that phrasing) and probably assume everything will be migrated over.

And last time I had to replace a laptop the process was "here ya go, thanks for the new one" so its not a good expectation that its going to be painful. It doesn't have to be a painful process unless you are trying to catch people cheating

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A short term contract job back I inherited an old laptop as part of a company-wide refresh and there was a perfect square of maybe five or six pixels where the screen was just gone. Turns out the pandemic mandated work from home resulted in whoever used to own it having their room-mate open a door in a tiny flat and just punch a teeny chunk right out of the laptop... somehow. This was not admitted to until the laptop was handed back for replacement, out of fear. It also didn't really manage to do much except make the backlight leak through.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PirateDentist posted:

It was a really fun moment when someone was swearing up and down they didn’t know what happened to their screen. I take a corporate iphone, slide it over the crack and see it perfectly fill the cracked outline.

“Please check your laptop for stuff before closing the lid. A new screen will be installed by the end of the week. “

Every time that happened to me the user would swear they didn't know how it happened. One even went on the attack and said the screen being damaged was my fault, because we gave him shoddy substandard equipment.

My favorite ticket was "I have done the dumb, and my keyboard is now full of coffee, I am so very very sorry :(". She copped to it in the ticket title, was super apologetic, and because she didn't try to snow job us with 'the keyboard just stopped working one day', she got a priority overnighted replacement machine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Every time that happened to me the user would swear they didn't know how it happened. One even went on the attack and said the screen being damaged was my fault, because we gave him shoddy substandard equipment.

My favorite ticket was "I have done the dumb, and my keyboard is now full of coffee, I am so very very sorry :(". She copped to it in the ticket title, was super apologetic, and because she didn't try to snow job us with 'the keyboard just stopped working one day', she got a priority overnighted replacement machine.

I don't care if it's a waste of money, but man I pay for ADP for every drat laptop in our org.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Users talk about their broken laptops the same way news reports talk about police shootings. "An unintentional sudden deceleration occurred, resulting in loss of hardware functionality."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

With supply chain issues we got a stack of this fuckoff massive Lenovo notebooks. I swear they could stop a bullet.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The computers we ordered last year as part of our bulk buy never showed up, now we're wondering if we need to order double for this year, or just wait and see if they eventually show up

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

With supply chain issues we got a stack of this fuckoff massive Lenovo notebooks.I swear they could stop a bullet.

There is a superhero origin story in there somewhere.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hughmoris posted:

There is a superhero origin story in there somewhere.

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/mobile-computing/laptops/heroic-laptop-takes-bullet-for-us-soldier-133972

A man sees his laptop shot before his very eyes, and vows "never again". Now he's the Punisher, only even more edgelordy and stupid, beating people up who don't take good enough care of their computer equipment. By night, he shitposts on Usenet and Reddit, by day he throws secretaries down staircases for spilling coffee in keyboards.

They say that if you install Windows Vista on a Macbook Pro on a city rooftop, you might be able to summon The Bastard Operator from Hell.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/mobile-computing/laptops/heroic-laptop-takes-bullet-for-us-soldier-133972

A man sees his laptop shot before his very eyes, and vows "never again". Now he's the Punisher, only even more edgelordy and stupid, beating people up who don't take good enough care of their computer equipment. By night, he shitposts on Usenet and Reddit, by day he throws secretaries down staircases for spilling coffee in keyboards.

They say that if you install Windows Vista on a Macbook Pro on a city rooftop, you might be able to summon The Bastard Operator from Hell.

:hai:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's not the ones that spill coffee on their keyboards that are a problem.

It's the ones that lie about it and claim they don't know what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ponzicar posted:

Users talk about their broken laptops the same way news reports talk about police shootings. "An unintentional sudden deceleration occurred, resulting in loss of hardware functionality."

A Office 365 involved shooting