Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As an EU politician, I really enjoyed Tusk. But then again, I’m a Verhofstadt enjoyer, and my preferences for EU would definitely make a fair number of people uneasy.

Quite

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

That's such awful nonsense... imagine if anybody said that about the US. Venezuela's politics is all about the US until Venezuela has an American puppet installed.

Um...

AND NATO might be made of countries, but it is not a country. It is a military alliance that supposed to do things. Especially as we Czechs joined pretty explicitly to be in the American "camp".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

a podcast for cats posted:

What are the thread recommendations for accessible and not too dated documentaries about the collapse of the USSR or the aftermath of that?

I'd like to throw a couple of links at someone, but realised that I don't actually know of any.

Not a documentary but a guy giving a talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKb87H2g6CM

szary
Mar 12, 2014
No way Tusk is centre left. When PO was last in power, they refused to pass any sort of LGBT-friendly legislation, cut government spending, implemented/kept in force anti-worker legislation, increased retirement age, stayed cosy with the catholic church, etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tusk started out on the right, then moved centre-right, and he’s somhere centre-left these days.

I’m driving from south to north across Poland along the eastern border right now, there’s so much military traffic going both ways I stopped counting. Just went by a convoy of two AAA launchers heading south.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

szary posted:

No way Tusk is centre left. When PO was last in power, they refused to pass any sort of LGBT-friendly legislation, cut government spending, implemented/kept in force anti-worker legislation, increased retirement age, stayed cosy with the catholic church, etc.

I’ve got limited familiarity with his politics before chairing European Council, but in the European council he behaved as pro-European integration liberal progressive - liberal progressive in Western European terms, not in Eastern Europe’s. He took fairly harsh lines against Brexit, Russian invasion of Ukraine, Trump, and Erdogan. The most right-wing thing I remember of his presidency is siding with Orban on the refugee crisis - which is decidedly out there, but that’s basically the only thing I can remember.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1490675514612326408

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It should be noted that Bild is extremely yellow press on the level of the Daily Mail or worse. So while it's not impossible that that's actually in the report, take it with a ton of salt.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Perestroika posted:

It should be noted that Bild is extremely yellow press on the level of the Daily Mail or worse. So while it's not impossible that that's actually in the report, take it with a ton of salt.

Thanks for the heads-up

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
WOOOPS

Lol I meant to post what I posted in C-Spam not here

Still that Bild report sounds way too sensational it's hard to imagine the russians having enough manpower to do a full invasion, occupation and concentration camp thing. I mean the did help bashar al assad run his concentration camps but that was a local death cult dictator doing most of the work.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 7, 2022

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

WOOOPS

Lol I meant to post what I posted in C-Spam not here

Still that Bild report sounds way too sensational it's hard to imagine the russians having enough manpower to do a full invasion, occupation and concentration camp thing. I mean the did help bashar al assad run his concentration camps but that was a local death cult dictator doing most of the work.

Maybe they’ll call in a favor and deploy some of Assad’s experts to Ukraine?

I mean there were reports that’s what Turkey did in AZ.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a rapport with 50 something possible scenario’s and they just picked the one in the back that would get them some attention.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

For those of us that aren't well versed in recent Polish politics, what's a quick summary of that?

Few pages back but this is the perfect encapsulation of Polish politics ca. 2022:

Poll: More than half of Poles don't trust either the ruling party or the opposition.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mrfart posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a rapport with 50 something possible scenario’s and they just picked the one in the back that would get them some attention.

It's almost certainly this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/benandjerrys/status/1489393235655106562

Israel was also making moves on Baltics today, saying that our governments will be denied permission to supply Ukraine with Israeli-manufactured military equipment.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/Nat_Vasilyeva/status/1490710816043249667?t=wr33mbzzYk3OGX1AqJjIRg&s=19

Is the table big or are the politicians small?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It’s a meeting table setup specifically for ‘rona distancing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Israel was also making moves on Baltics today, saying that our governments will be denied permission to supply Ukraine with Israeli-manufactured military equipment.

Smart move on Israel's part since Russia could easily expand the range of weapons they make available to the Syrian regime, and to Hezbollah/Iranian militias by proxy. Both countries have found a way to live together because minimizing Iranian influence in southern Syria helps Russia maintain its own influence, but handing out weapons to kill Russians (yes, even in defense) would obviously produce a different incentive structure.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/benandjerrys/status/1489393235655106562

Yeah, can't fight the Russians with this equipment, it's been longer than a month since the Israelis bombed Gaza and the West Bank

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Operator, I need an exit!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

mrfart posted:

Sorry but this is just stupid.

In other news a leader of russian officers association retired general Leonid Ivashov (known as rabid Russia nationalist, and while still serving organizer of russian paratroopers march to Pristina during the Serbian war) published an extremely anti war with Ukraine piece which he concluded with asking Putin to resign. I wish there was an english version somewhere to point to russia explainers because he very concisely explains why this whole thing has nothing to do with Russia's security or even their internal perception of it.

Hard to tell what to make of it, but some opinions consider him an unofficial voice of the Russian military who cannot while in office officially voice their opinions on the government policy and dont want to be blamed when Ukraine invasion turns into dumpster fire.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sekenr posted:

Sorry but this is just stupid.

In other news a leader of russian officers association retired general Leonid Ivashov (known as rabid Russia nationalist, and while still serving organizer of russian paratroopers march to Pristina during the Serbian war) published an extremely anti war with Ukraine piece which he concluded with asking Putin to resign. I wish there was an english version somewhere to point to russia explainers because he very concisely explains why this whole thing has nothing to do with Russia's security or even their internal perception of it.

Hard to tell what to make of it, but some opinions consider him an unofficial voice of the Russian military who cannot while in office officially voice their opinions on the government policy and dont want to be blamed when Ukraine invasion turns into dumpster fire.

That guy seems like a lunatic:

After all, in Ivashov’s apocalyptic vision, it is not just that any escalation will lead to thousands of deaths on the battlefield and massive economy sanctions, but that NATO will also get directly involved and, as if that were not enough, ‘Turkish field armies and a fleet will be ordered to “liberate” the Crimea and Sevastopol and possibly invade the Caucasus.’

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Finally! An off-ramp

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Putin and Zelensky will declare peace in our time over pints of Funky Monkey

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jokes on them I dine exclusively on Yasso :colbert:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Finally the social media intern at the ice cream factory has chimed in on the issue

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sinteres posted:

That guy seems like a lunatic:

After all, in Ivashov’s apocalyptic vision, it is not just that any escalation will lead to thousands of deaths on the battlefield and massive economy sanctions, but that NATO will also get directly involved and, as if that were not enough, ‘Turkish field armies and a fleet will be ordered to “liberate” the Crimea and Sevastopol and possibly invade the Caucasus.’

How is this much different from Putin's own stance on how NATO missiles in Kharkiv will threaten Moscow or something?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sekenr posted:

How is this much different from Putin's own stance on how NATO missiles in Kharkiv will threaten Moscow or something?

Whether you think nuclear weapons are likely to be used or not, stationing them closer to a country is obviously an aggressive move that raises first strike concerns (even if it's probably a bit redundant due to SLBMs). Turkey, on the other hand, has zero ability to take territory from Russia. Anyway even if you think the first thing is insane, using a second even more insane guy to try to knock it down is a weird strategy.

Btw countries like Poland complaining about how a Russian military presence in Belarus threatens their security kind of gives up the game in terms of whether troops in bordering countries is something to be concerned about or not.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 7, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Whether you think nuclear weapons are likely to be used or not, stationing them closer to a country is obviously an aggressive move that raises first strike concerns (even if it's probably a bit redundant due to SLBMs). Turkey, on the other hand, has zero ability to take territory from Russia. Anyway even if you think the first thing is insane, using a second even more insane guy to try to knock it down is a weird strategy.

Btw countries like Poland complaining about how a Russian military presence in Belarus threatens their security kind of gives up the game in terms of whether troops in bordering countries is something to be concerned about or not.

On the other hand, if any country has reason to be very wary about Russian troops on their borders, Poland is gonna be on that list near the top every time. This doesn't make what you say less true though, if anything I think that adds more weight to it

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

On the other hand, if any country has reason to be very wary about Russian troops on their borders, Poland is gonna be on that list near the top every time.

Not really, they're in NATO.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's a list of things the US could do with weapons that uh, technically don't actually exist (It's a fairly trivial set of changes to make a Tomahawk that is land based, but the US didn't actually own any until they got fed up with Russia breaching INF) that's pretty much infinite.

It is obviously a double standard for Russia to take active hostile actions against another country on the basis that the US might one day decide to do something it isn't actually doing right now.

e: and a thousand NATO troops in Poland is not 50k Russian troops in Belarus. The issue is not 'foreign troops in a neighbouring country' the issue is that Russia routinely runs large scale military exercises that look like mass mobilisations, then every so often one of those exercises transitions into an actual invasion.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 8, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

There's a list of things the US could do with weapons that uh, technically don't actually exist (It's a fairly trivial set of changes to make a Tomahawk that is land based, but the US didn't actually own any until they got fed up with Russia breaching INF) that's pretty much infinite.

It is obviously a double standard for Russia to take active hostile actions against another country on the basis that the US might one day decide to do something it isn't actually doing right now.

By the time the US does it, it's too late to stop it though. If Russia thinks it's a real concern, their only opportunity to stop it is now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BoldFace posted:

Not really, they're in NATO.

I was more referring to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_armed_conflicts_involving_Poland_against_Russia

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

https://youtu.be/tokZjZRPts8

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Notice how there aren't any after they joined NATO.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Notice how there aren't any after they joined NATO.

No but I noticed there wasn't any after Poland joined the Warsaw Pact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

No but I noticed there wasn't any after Poland joined the Warsaw Pact.

Thank you for articulating my point better than I could