Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Agents are GO! posted:

This is an opinion so bad Hojo must've grown it in a lab.

I think the rap battle gauntlet hath been dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Byzantine posted:

That's still God of War 3

4 really hopes you didn't play the others, or just forgot that Kratos is an absolute monster. It might make all the "dad jokes with kratos" videos kinda weird if you recall he cut his daughter in half.

He didn’t know it was his kid at the time because Ares (the God he was serving at the time) had tricked him. Although I don’t recall if he thought they were enemies or if he just thought he was killing a different kid.

Kratos is still an absolute monster, and willingly so for the most part, just not that time specifically

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

Fallout 4 is the rare case of a Dad Game with a playable woman. It's blatantly clear that you weren't actually intended to play as the wife, what little character story there is makes no sense if you play as her.

I'm pretty sure at this point everyone recognizes that Fallout 4 trying to do the 'parent' angle was a bad idea anyway. It just fundamentally clashes with the game they made; Bethesda RPGs are all about going off the beaten path and doing your own thing, but that just doesn't play if you give the character an extremely specific and timely motivation. If you're playing accurately to the character, you should just be going straight critical path and not deviating because your son is out there somewhere, and in fact the game shows that because the script elbows Shaun Talk into 80% of character interactions.

My take on Fallout 4 is that the individual pieces could work (or, in fact, do work already) but they shoved too many different competing priorities together in the first couple of hours of the game. They ended up with a house of cards where trying to fix one thing creates endless ripple effects and headaches.

I do feel like the big pain point is having Shaun's kidnapping (and the Spouse's murder) be a big dramatic in-your-face moment, because that's what lays down the railroad tracks. There's no wiggle room to work with, doubly so because Nate/Nora isn't aware of how out of time they are, because from their perspective it *just* happened and they should be able to go run after Kellogg and find Shaun right now. If you took out that visceral immediacy, in exchange you'd get lots of fun ambiguity to play around with. Like if Nora woke up to both Nate and Shaun missing, she could pick up on the clues and conclude they were taken and proceed roughly as usual, but it also creates space for a Nora that naively assumes that they just woke up early and they'll be back home in Sanctuary and everything will be just fine, right? :ohdear: Or maybe a coldly cynical Nora that quickly concludes that if they stepped outside the vault they're probably well dead already (and it's not like them being in cryofreeze was much better) and decides to hell with it and jumps headfirst into Fallout Stuff.

Another alternative, nix the stupid E3 trailer sequence with the Deathclaw and instead have the Institute much more overtly involved in the introductory quests. Have Nora wake up in the middle of another Quincy, only to survive thanks to some power armor and the few surviving Minutemen. Now you have someone who was either intentionally left alive by the synths (extremely suspicious) or somehow survived the wrath of the Institute (highly unlikely) which gives you more hooks to hang character drama off of.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

kazil posted:

Video game awards mean poo poo, I know, but I still don't understand how God of War won so many accolades. Like, it eventually gets to be alright, but it's not amazing.

There was actually a pretty fierce console-war style fight over whether God Of War or Red Dead Redemption 2 would scoop up the most goty awards.

Obviously those were the only two acceptable answers in 2018.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There was actually a pretty fierce console-war style fight over whether God Of War or Red Dead Redemption 2 would scoop up the most goty awards.

Iconoclasts got robbed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Fallout 4 is the rare case of a Dad Game with a playable woman. It's blatantly clear that you weren't actually intended to play as the wife, what little character story there is makes no sense if you play as her.

I'm pretty sure at this point everyone recognizes that Fallout 4 trying to do the 'parent' angle was a bad idea anyway. It just fundamentally clashes with the game they made; Bethesda RPGs are all about going off the beaten path and doing your own thing, but that just doesn't play if you give the character an extremely specific and timely motivation. If you're playing accurately to the character, you should just be going straight critical path and not deviating because your son is out there somewhere, and in fact the game shows that because the script elbows Shaun Talk into 80% of character interactions.

You should just be mainlining the path because Oblivion gates are opening across the world

You should just be mainlining the path because dragons are back

You should just mainlining the path because you want to know where dad went

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Looking at the games released in 2018, they kinda were. Not because they were the best games--I wouldn't even put them in a top ten--but because you know that only very specific games sweep GOTY awards barring wild exceptions like Inscryption last year, and in 2018 they were the only real standouts in that. It's like how you never guess if the best movie will win Oscars.

Indies are never even in the conversation barring huge successes, so Celeste and Obra Dinn are immediately out. Nintendo just being regular Nintendo will never win even if they're doing their best work, so it being the year of a new Smash, Pokemon and Kirby means nothing. Genre ghettos kick out both fighting games (Soul Calibur VI, Dragon Ball FighterZ) and any RPG that can't be classified as 'action' or looks too weird (Pillars of Eternity 2, Octopath Traveler, Ni No Kuni 2). Similar to Nintendo, annual and near-annual franchises don't get a look-in unless they're suddenly doing something new, and none of those guys were doing that in 2018 (rear end Creed, Call of Duty, Battlefield). Factor in that the voters are usually straight white dudes in their thirties or forties, which that year admittedly only knocked out Tomb Raider for having a female protagonist, that games that need some momentum to get patch content going like Monster Hunter World and Hitman 2 are never gonna have a chance at launch, then add in basic quality control to knock out Fallout 76, and... yeah, you've basically just got Dad of War and Red Dead Redemption 2. Maybe Spider-Man as a third choice, or Detroit: Become Human if they want to try looking artsy (but not too artsy or they would've noticed the indies).

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Feb 6, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That is one of those common gamer complaints that never really seem to bother me. Taken in relief it often doesn't make much sense for the player character to risk their life helping some random grandma NPC recover her family locket from a Deathclaw nest, but I like to do sidequests, so who cares. Especially when the alternative of potentially missing content with a time limit in a 50-hour game and having to replay the whole thing over just to experience it is so much worse.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Len posted:

You should just be mainlining the path because Oblivion gates are opening across the world

You should just be mainlining the path because dragons are back

You should just mainlining the path because you want to know where dad went

See, with all of those games, they have a good few 'act break' moments in the main story where things sort of stop and let you move around, because there aren't really overt ticking clocks.

In Oblivion and Skyrim both, the story never really accelerates the crisis at hand, so there's nothing saying 'you have to go solve this before X happens/or things will get worse'. There's also plenty of points especially in Oblivion where the next step of the story implies no urgency, which sort of implicitly tells you that you can give the main quest a break if you want.

Fallout 3's is an interesting comparison to 4, because ostensibly you've got the same driving beat of not knowing where a family member is, but Fallout 3 is different because the family member in question is a largely capable, self-motivated and active adult who doesn't actually need you, it's just that he's the only clue you've got. We can trust that Liam Neeson is probably gonna be fine on his self-motivated journey, so all the story focused on him never really has an urgency to it compared to 'a literal baby has been kidnapped', we never feel like we have to find him literally right now. And of course, you actually find Liam Neeson like a third of the way through the story and from there it becomes a story with plenty of breaks and little urgency, whereas Fallout 4's story kinda kicks off the moment you find Shaun.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Feb 6, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Agents are GO! posted:

This is an opinion so bad Hojo must've grown it in a lab.

Seriously. Despite any missteps 7R made, the way it handled Aeris's characterization is one of the highlights. She's funny, clever, takes no poo poo, and is willing to dunk on a guy carrying around a giant sword moments after meeting him

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It did a fantastic job of handling her characterization, absolutely. I find her charactization annoying. It's ok, we can disagree.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cleretic posted:

All the Fallout games have an extremely timely and specific main quest though? The first one even have a time limit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

He didn’t know it was his kid at the time because Ares (the God he was serving at the time) had tricked him. Although I don’t recall if he thought they were enemies or if he just thought he was killing a different kid.

Kratos is still an absolute monster, and willingly so for the most part, just not that time specifically

I haven't played any of the games except for the newest one, but in the context of the newest one it came off that he's finally realized he's a huge rear end in a top hat and is trying to distance himself/atone for the things he's done previously. Though it does make it seem like the things he did weren't entirely under his control and he doesn't trust anyone as a result.

It doesn't go into detail about WHAT he did, just that he's ashamed about his past. It doesn't make him a good guy by any means, but puts more context as to why the way he is in the newest game.

I could be completely off base because as I said I haven't played the previous ones, that's just what I gathered from this one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kratos was a spartan berserker who, when he was about to be slain on the battlefield, sold his soul to ares to become his champion. he then butchered his way through half of greece, estranging his wife and daughter in the process, and "mistakenly" killed them both while sacking a temple during his latest conquest. ares' response to all this was basically "attaboy, now there's nothing left to distract you from murderin' stuff"

kratos in response killed ares, took his place, and reigned as the god of war for like two drat years before going "i had a bad dream" and murdering the rest of the greek pantheon, including zeus, who turned out to be his dad (nothing terribly special there, zeus was a lot of people's dad)

in very broad strokes, the original god of war games painted the greek pantheon as hopelessly moribund and corrupt and kratos as basically a consequence of their corruption and a purge of the old ways. that's the broad strokes. the finer details are some of the worst of early-oughts edginess, and the GoW3 in particular might be one of the most viciously stupid big-budget games ever made. what's relevant to the reboot is that kratos is a very angry but very tired man who's still keenly aware of what happened the last time he let his anger get the best of him, and knows that all gods have the potential to wreak the same havoc if left unchecked. hence why he was severely unimpressed with atreus' little display of rage in the opening - he doesn't want any of his old habits to be passed down to the kid

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kratos is filled with self loathing over brutally murdering his family in the first game and the only way he can live with himself is by banging multiple women at once in subsequent games

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hey man you can't get over someone unless you get under someone else

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The gods specifically don't create havoc, though. They keep it in check and are vital to the functioning of the world.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Byzantine posted:

The gods specifically don't create havoc, though. They keep it in check and are vital to the functioning of the world.

Oxxidation posted:

GoW3 in particular might be one of the most viciously stupid big-budget games ever made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

oldpainless posted:

Kratos is filled with self loathing over brutally murdering his family in the first game and the only way he can live with himself is by banging multiple women at once in subsequent games

It begs the question if Atreus was conceived via QTE.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Disagree. GoW3 is one of the very very few pieces of modern media that treats the gods as gods rather than Ancient X-Men.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got to the final boss gauntlet in FF7 Remake and it's obnoxiously long and hard with no real checkpoints.

It could at least give you a hard save between fighting ALL THE ARBITERS OF FATE like 3 times in a row plus a form where they become a bahamut and trash you, and even after THAT you have to fight them separately again but then once you finally manage that, with no chance to save or rest it throws you into a really hard sephiroth fight. I'll have to just buy like 99 Megapotions or something just to keep up, as I have no way to get anyone stronger due to being past the point of no return. It's just so LONG, and the fact that I'll have to do the previous long fight again complete with unskippable inbattle cutscenes just makes me not want to.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They're probably gonna kill off Kratos for realsies this time. Maybe it'll be a button prompt like "Press Square to Kill Your Dad."

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Disagree. GoW3 is one of the very very few pieces of modern media that treats the gods as gods rather than Ancient X-Men.

The Greek gods were hedonistic uncaring rape-machines that ruined peoples lives on a whim, that was the most accurate part of the original GoW franchise. The fact they ended up actually effecting the natural processes they claimed to represent was dumb as hell.

Except Hera who had like thirty seconds of screen time and represented winemoms I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm not real far but this star wars fallen order game feels less like dark souls and more like an uncharted/tomb raider so far

I feel lied to by the internet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

I'm not real far but this star wars fallen order game feels less like dark souls and more like an uncharted/tomb raider so far

Tomb Raider + heavier melee combat has been my description since it came out, you should've just asked me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Never trust the Internet, especially when they call something dark souls like

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Len posted:

It's a mix of a lot of things. The combat and healing is inspired by Dark Souls but the traversal, puzzles and some of the level design aren't.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s kind of a Uncharted meets Arkham City blend with a pinch of Zelda thrown in

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

At least I wasn't playing it because of that elevator pitch. It was dirt cheap and gives me something new (to me at least) to play on the ps5

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's definitely not a Soulslike because I was able to finish it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

it's really more of a take on old school soulslikes a la Quake II

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got to the final boss gauntlet in FF7 Remake and it's obnoxiously long and hard with no real checkpoints.

It could at least give you a hard save between fighting ALL THE ARBITERS OF FATE like 3 times in a row plus a form where they become a bahamut and trash you, and even after THAT you have to fight them separately again but then once you finally manage that, with no chance to save or rest it throws you into a really hard sephiroth fight. I'll have to just buy like 99 Megapotions or something just to keep up, as I have no way to get anyone stronger due to being past the point of no return. It's just so LONG, and the fact that I'll have to do the previous long fight again complete with unskippable inbattle cutscenes just makes me not want to.

What is this, Sekiro? Why are there so many boss fights in a row?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's skyrim with lightsabres

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

It’s kind of a Uncharted meets Arkham City blend with a pinch of Zelda thrown in

It's actually a PoPlike (Prince of Persia-alike).

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Feb 7, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

A Marquis of Mesopotamia if you will

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

the holy poopacy posted:

it's really more of a take on old school soulslikes a la Quake II

Explain!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The final boss rush in 7R is rude but hopefully you saved those Elixirs and make liberal use of Cloud's counterstance move.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I seem to have missed several sidequests in Control, which is unusual for me since I love to poke around and do side content when I'm doing the main quest of a game without being totally obsessive about finding everything. It does suggest that it's not very well signposted. Also there are too many 'find three to five things in a place and click on them' side missions.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Control is to some extent about finding ever deeper secrets that nobody knows about, but on a gameplay level it is impossible to find all the dang sidequests without a guide and it gets real frustrating.

And the map is horse garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Philippe posted:

Control is to some extent about finding ever deeper secrets that nobody knows about, but on a gameplay level it is impossible to find all the dang sidequests without a guide and it gets real frustrating.

And the map is horse garbage.

I'm sure they exist, but it's hard to think of a recent AAA game that has a worse map than Control