Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Just a retired fisherman they asked. Also the guy in the Killing an Arab video.

"when asked why he agreed to lend his face to the band's media, Button's answer was, "If I can help these youngsters break through, after all, why not?" He also reportedly said that he would buy a record player and listen to one of the band's songs "out of curiosity, just to see"."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fors Yard posted:

Just a retired fisherman they asked. Also the guy in the Killing an Arab video.

"when asked why he agreed to lend his face to the band's media, Button's answer was, "If I can help these youngsters break through, after all, why not?" He also reportedly said that he would buy a record player and listen to one of the band's songs "out of curiosity, just to see"."

That rules.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And this one is before I cleaned it with some furniture polish:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

This cover is so drat pleasing to look at.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I scrolled past this too quickly and thought it was Abacab.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Found in the wild today

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

This cover is so drat pleasing to look at.

Yeah, this is the kind of poo poo I loved in art school

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
so a new press of the tremulant EP is on amazon.ca for a reasonable price already

look at me, the idiot

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

This is the most awesome surf album cover I've ever seen.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Also it's been really strong on Russian composers beginning with an S for some reason. Stravinsky, Scriabin, Shostakovich, Stokowski,

I thought there were more

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Man, arty classical covers are the best.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, I went way out in the boondocks today, found a huge thrift store that had absolutely nothing newer than the 70s but like 500 of records, all a dollar. I just grabbed up a few for the cover art as much as anything. And a lot of them were still in their like 50-year-old shrink-wrap. I liberated them from that.

Oh, I found this, with the instruction booklet, in g+-vg condition

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

petit choux posted:

Oh, I found this, with the instruction booklet, in g+-vg condition

:justpost: the instruction booklet.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

:justpost: the instruction booklet.

Okay give me a second.

BTW, Stan took up with Astrid (the Girl from Ipanema girl) right after this album was recorded, is my rough guess. But Astrid is not Bebel's mother, so Joao did all right in the long run. Correct me if I don't understand all this correctly.

ED: more than a second, I just drained my camera's battery, apparently, got to give it a bit to charge back up. Hope you'll bear with me, I found some acid memorabilia I wanted to post to this thread this evening.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 4, 2022

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

Okay give me a second.

BTW, Stan stole Astrid (the Girl from Ipanema girl) from Joao right after this album was recorded, is my rough guess. But Astrid is not Bebel's mother, so Joao did all right in the long run. Correct me if I don't understand all this correctly.

ED: more than a second, I just drained my camera's battery, apparently, got to give it a bit to charge back up. Hope you'll bear with me, I found some acid memorabilia I wanted to post to this thread this evening.

ooh! I have a repress of this. Excellent lounge vibes

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

This is the most awesome surf album cover I've ever seen.

Haha. Not quite a surf album. More of the Exotica/Lounge genre. Get a load of those tropical bird sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-83MbUhkO0&t=52s

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Haha. Not quite a surf album. More of the Exotica/Lounge genre. Get a load of those tropical bird sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-83MbUhkO0&t=52s

LOLOLOLOLOL awesome. Well it would have been the greatest surf album cover then. Still charging the camera.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Arcella posted:

ooh! I have a repress of this. Excellent lounge vibes
Yeah, anything by any of these guys including Jobim and Astrid is really mellow.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

... and I'm too tired to post any more RN

petit choux fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 4, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tag yourself, I'm "Pants - slow".

Thank you for sharing. :D

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I took some pages out because I didn't want to infringe on anyone's copyright or whatever. And BTW, the music is awesome. I love all that stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My favorite is how they explain all those moves and then one is like "Just bend your entire body backwards. No biggie.".

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

CPL593H posted:

My favorite is how they explain all those moves and then one is like "Just bend your entire body backwards. No biggie.".

Actual footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXd89_zxZTE&t=195s

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

This is awesome. Proof: https://youtu.be/oqUnVUzvQYA

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Whoah!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I just got a sealed copy of the remaster of this:

It's an excellent album, I discovered it after learning Sam Dees (NUTS LOL) is from Birmingham, Alabama (the same region I'm from). :')

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just want to say cream is my favorite color for vinyl

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Found a copy of this recently, listening to it now, linking a picture instead of taking a photo, feeling lazy

it sounds exactly like you think it does

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

hexwren posted:

it sounds exactly like you think it does

Is this some kind of koan or something?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's actually an illustration from the Necronomicon.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ayyy, new record day! Animal Collective is now for old people on Time Skiffs and I'm fully here for it. The solo Avey and Refn soundtrack were in the cutout bin for ten bucks a piece, steals and deals, baby. :cool:

The soundtrack got a helluva gatefold, too.

BRB, fixing the corner of my bedsheet that keeps popping off.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

caligulamprey posted:

Ayyy, new record day! Animal Collective is now for old people on Time Skiffs and I'm fully here for it. The solo Avey and Refn soundtrack were in the cutout bin for ten bucks a piece, steals and deals, baby. :cool:

The soundtrack got a helluva gatefold, too.

BRB, fixing the corner of my bedsheet that keeps popping off.

That Refn soundtrack for $10?! Very nice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

petit choux posted:

Is this some kind of koan or something?

it's extremely dorky mid-80s west german new wave from the extremely dorky west germans on the cover

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CaptainBeefart posted:

That Refn soundtrack for $10?! Very nice.
I'm now just missing Neon Demon and man, that bugs me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I scored an Onkyo CP-1100a off Craigslist for free, just needed a new belt and cartridge. Any recommendations for ~$100 cartridges I could just get off Amazon? I've got an AT-VM95C on it now, which I'll probably keep for playing dodgy thrift shop finds, but I'd like something better for nicer records. None of the Shure/Grados in the OP seemed available.

Also if anyone knows where I could get a spare headshell that'd be grand, eBay not super useful but I am also unsure which models' headshells would be compatible.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sheep posted:

I scored an Onkyo CP-1100a off Craigslist for free, just needed a new belt and cartridge. Any recommendations for ~$100 cartridges I could just get off Amazon? I've got an AT-VM95C on it now, which I'll probably keep for playing dodgy thrift shop finds, but I'd like something better for nicer records. None of the Shure/Grados in the OP seemed available.

Also if anyone knows where I could get a spare headshell that'd be grand, eBay not super useful but I am also unsure which models' headshells would be compatible.

I'd recommend throwing in an extra few bucks and getting this one:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/16794/Clearaudio-Goldfinger_Statement_Cartridge-Med_Output_Cartridges

It's a pretty decent entry level cartridge.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I know this isn't proper vinyl related but this is I think some nightclub flyers probably from the 90s. I don't know anything about them otherwise, I just kinda liked the artwork.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

petit choux posted:

I know this isn't proper vinyl related but this is I think some nightclub flyers probably from the 90s. I don't know anything about them otherwise, I just kinda liked the artwork.

Oh man I used to get handed these things all the time when I was downtown. Lots of 3D smiley faces, fractals, and gradients for days haha. Never went to a single one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

what's the label on that one? Old Everest Records stuff with the blue and silver label (before they became a budget label which included a lot of bad repressings of their back catalog) sound amazing for the time, they were an old-school audiophile label and had Stokowski as their main signing for classical music.