Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think the biggest question regarding the brothel in s1 got is where it was, if I remember correctly winterfel is one very small courtyard, made up mostly by stables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Data Graham posted:

Me, a wizard who can kill with a stare: "oh dear, a small child on the shore, only one way to handle this"

https://gunshowcomic.com/30

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could someone remind me when these “Seanchan” were named in the TV show. I must have missed this.

I dont think they were ever explicitly named but there was a line in one of the last few episodes about " ships off the western coast dissappearing".

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could someone remind me when these “Seanchan” were named in the TV show. I must have missed this.

They were for sure named by the actor that plays Perrin in the very first behind the scenes episode.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I haven’t been paying attention to WoT news, but what does the thread want to do about new articles and other media in the lead up to season 2? I assume there will be plenty of material to discuss, though I also remember some people ITT not wanting any mention of future content even when it was brought up by official sources.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've unbookmarked the book thread cause it's terrible so I'm hoping casting news and such will get posted here

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it should be treated like any normal tv thread, post any relevant news and discussion here, avoid spoilers.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
As a life-long book lover I’m enjoying the TV series SO much. It’s some of the most fun I’ve ever had with an adaptation. I love how they go in hard with changes. The show managed to make me feel that I was watching something both familiar and new. I love the casting. Please get this casting director to do Wizard of Earthsea.

The conversations and scenes about same gender relationships made me really happy.

I love how they designed Loial and the actor nails him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Althair posted:

As a life-long book lover I’m enjoying the TV series SO much. It’s some of the most fun I’ve ever had with an adaptation. I love how they go in hard with changes. The show managed to make me feel that I was watching something both familiar and new. I love the casting. Please get this casting director to do Wizard of Earthsea.

I was thinking about how Amazon basically want this to be their Game of Thrones, and how the actual premise/tone of the books doesn't really lend to that desire and I kind of wish that Amazon had used that money/crew to do an adaptation of Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts Empire books instead. They have a lot more focus on politics and scheming between people/houses, while retaining that fantasy air. There's not a huge amount of magic or fantasy races either. They're there, but they're not the forefront of the story, which is mostly about the daughter of a noble family who was getting ready for a life as a nun having to inherit the responsibility of leadership after the rest of her family are killed, trying to protect her house and eventual son via an unhappy political marriage from the depredations of politics and war. There's also only 3 books too, so they could take their time with each while still making it a couple of seasons of good quality content.

They could even adapt some of Feist's other books set in and around the same war if they wanted to expand things beyond those 3 books to make for more seasons, make it more of an ensemble cast or bring in some more focus on magic and fantasy races and creatures. His stuff in general isn't as good as the Empire books, which presumably means that Janny Wurts was really pulling that collaboration, but they're pretty decent and have some nice ideas that could be shined up real nice from what I recall of them.

That aside, I'm re-reading Wheel of Time now, having dropped off around book 9/10 around 15 years ago and I kind of wish the show had been a bit more daring in it's changes. The books seem to be imply that other turns of the wheel aren't just the same characters in the same landscape and nations going through mostly similar events, and the feeling I get is that other turnings could have completely different people in different societies and situations fighting the same general "light v dark" fight. I know the show couldn't stray too far, without really losing things but at the same time the show as is feels like it's the worst of both worlds where it's similar enough that any changes stick out but has enough changes that it doesn't feel like it's going for the same character arcs in some cases.

I still enjoyed the first season, last episode aside and am looking forward to season two but it does feel like a few characters might end up going in slightly different directions that aren't all that exciting in their changes while still being different enough to be kind of annoying in their differences. I kind of wish they committed to bigger changes. The one time I found the finale engaging was when it looked like Nynaeve was actually dead. That would have been a pretty big change, and left both book readers and new viewers both pretty shocked most likely. They didn't commit to it though, sadly.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

If they'd killed Nynaeve in season 1 I'd have thrown my tv out the window in disgust so it's good that they didn't do that

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
As a non book reader who watched through this over the past week I gotta say I really enjoyed the show. After reading the thread I now see that was a mistake on my part.

Definitely considering reading the books now so that I too can post spoilers here.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tsob posted:

I kind of wish that Amazon had used that money/crew to do an adaptation of Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts Empire books instead.

Well, close.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pik_d posted:

As a non book reader who watched through this over the past week I gotta say I really enjoyed the show. After reading the thread I now see that was a mistake on my part.

Definitely considering reading the books now so that I too can post spoilers here.

Pretty sure even people who like the show agree that the books are significantly better. I've cooled on the books a lot as the wheel has turned but I still think they're pretty good and I kind of hate genre fantasy now so yeah they're not bad. They definitely have a real scope and sense of world that almost no other series has.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've been reading the novels for last 20 years. And so far, the show is a lot better. It has all the stuff I like about the books, but with little of what I don't like about the books.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I like the books better because the POVs include lots of small details about the world and their perspectives provide insight into the characters in ways that you can't do in a show without some heavy handed voice over. To me, the show has been a good summary of the book it is adapting and I can't fault them for the shortcuts they have to make for budget and practical reasons. The books are just richer and more detailed because they can be.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

There's no real way to do the POV things the books did, which is not helping the show at all, especially not Rand. But they didn't need to make the world so small and sparse to railroad the plot along in so few episodes, surely not with the money they had, did covid make things that much more expensive?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

IRQ posted:

There's no real way to do the POV things the books did, which is not helping the show at all, especially not Rand. But they didn't need to make the world so small and sparse to railroad the plot along in so few episodes, surely not with the money they had, did covid make things that much more expensive?

Feels safe to assume bean counters just ruin everything

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They also had to establish a whole studio in Prague since there was no available space to shoot so I'm sure that cut into their production budget too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Why is "making the world sparse" bad though?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Why is "making the world sparse" bad though?

Sparse worlds are fundamentally less interesting than more richly detailed ones.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Personally I didn't feel the world was sparse as presented in the show and they hit 90% of the same beats as the book. Plus the whole story rapidly expands in scope and location in the next three books, if they follow the same broad outline with the show we'll get a broader look at the cultures of the Westlands.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pik_d posted:

The books are really not good and start worse, the show is okay though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sparseness is, at least, not an attribute of the source material.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pik_d posted:

Feels safe to assume bean counters just ruin everything

I think a lot of it is that Amazon, for whatever reason, just doesn't have the level of oversight that Netflix has to make the process run smoothly.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The book so far is way better than the show, even tho the show was mostly good!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Haven't read the books and just recently watched the show with my wife.

It was... ok. It felt very generic, though. A very generic world with a generic dark one antagonist and The Chosen Ones and wizardly orders and whatever. I don't really mind generic fantasy but there was very little there to set it apart really.

I didn't think the actors for the main cast were very strong or interesting in the show either except for Nynaeve and female Gandalf. Hopefully the story grows a bit in season 2

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Sparseness is, at least, not an attribute of the source material.

It very much is. Hence my question as to why it's a bad thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

CainFortea posted:

It very much is. Hence my question as to why it's a bad thing.

It absolutely is not

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

It absolutely is not

Can't really go into it here, but lol.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If I'm taking the whole book series against S1 then it's obviously the books but if I just take S1 vs. EotW then it becomes quite a bit harder. Mostly cause Rand's PoV is one of the least interesting out of our core group (at least Rand where he is at this point in the story) and the show really opened up perspectives a lot from the rest of the cast. Obviously there's some worldbuilding missing but the only thing I think S1 is really depirved of is Mat in Fal Dara,

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

AnEdgelord posted:

It absolutely is not

Civilization in the books consists of a few cities separated by vast swathes of no man's land. Sure the centers of population are highly developed culturally and described in lavish detail, but the vast majority of the world is empty grasslands, empty mountain ranges, and empty deserts where the maximum population density is "tiny farm villages spaced no closer than a day on horseback apart". I mean hell look at the map and how big some of the completely unclaimed land areas like the Haddon Mirk, the Plains of Maredo, or the Caralain Grassland are.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

St0rmD posted:

Civilization in the books consists of a few cities separated by vast swathes of no man's land. Sure the centers of population are highly developed culturally and described in lavish detail, but the vast majority of the world is empty grasslands, empty mountain ranges, and empty deserts where the maximum population density is "tiny farm villages spaced no closer than a day on horseback apart". I mean hell look at the map and how big some of the completely unclaimed land areas like the Haddon Mirk, the Plains of Maredo, or the Caralain Grassland are.

I was saying that the series was not sparsely detailed not that the actual world isn't sparsely populated

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Yeah to me that was pretty obvious

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah I wasn't talking about the population distribution or whatever. Though now that you mention it, that seemed light too, but I'll give them that for covid stuff making extras hard probably.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I just started Eye of the World yesterday and am 5 chapters in. The prose is... not bad, per se, but very... functional. Coming straight from the Gormenghast books I was expecting it to seem that way, and even though I absolutely loved Peake's writing I wouldn't expect, or want, every book to be written in a similar way. Such super-ornate prose fits with the impressionistic feel of Gormenghast but would not work so well for more plot-driven works. Having said that, last night I went straight from reading Malazan to my wife to reading chapter 5 of EotW and the prose felt fairly sub-par compared to Erikson's. Just an early impression though, and I'm enjoying the set up of the story and the promise of an extended piece of elaborate escapism moving through the series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, Jordan's prose is pretty far removed from the more baroque writers of the genre. He's ore influenced by the classical tradition than the romantic, more Austen than Byron.

The one thing I'll say is pay attention to point of view and tiny details. Jordan very carefully leaves a lot of things out if his pov character can't or won't see them. As the books progress there's a lot of diversion between the story the characters narrate and the story that is happening, and a lot of things that seem like minor details in passing turn out to be pivotal hints planned thousands of pages prior to the payoff.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 7, 2022

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The one thing I'll say is pay attention to point of view and tiny details. Jordan very carefully leaves a lot of things out if his pov character can't or won't see them. As the books progress there's a lot of diversion between the story the characters narrate and the story that is happening, and a lot of things that seem like minor details in passing turn out to be pivotal hints planned thousands of pages prior to the payoff.

Can you link to a page where these are discussed? I don’t want to fill up the TV show thread with pages upon pages of spoiler text from the later books, but I am curious to learn which of these I picked up on and which I failed to catch.

In actual TV show news, the rumor mill is saying that Season 3 has been confirmed even while Season 2 is still filming.

https://www.cbr.com/wheel-of-time-third-season/

Apparently Lan’s commitments to other shows are in question after filming of season 2 finishes, which is how people twigged to the likely (but still not officially announced) third season.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

One tiny, inconsequential (so far, I'm only at book three, so it might be important later) detail I love is how Perrin, Rand and (less so) Mat all think the other two are better at talking to girls.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Well that is very Malazan (a Good Thing in my book). I will bear that in mind while reading, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Can you link to a page where these are discussed? I don’t want to fill up the TV show thread with pages upon pages of spoiler text from the later books, but I am curious to learn which of these I picked up on and which I failed to catch.
It looks like Encyclopaedia WoT has some notes for every chapter as to what is hinted at or referenced to. Do note that this is obviously completely full of spoilers for the entire book series!