Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Okay holy poo poo fine the OLED switch screen is pretty as hell and the size of a snooker table.

Now to let my bones crumble to dust as I redownload all my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

question

Yesterday I was playing Zelda Breath on the tv with my switch docked. Out of nowhere the screen flashed black for about half a second and when the picture came back, the game was running at a much higher framerate. Has that ever happened to any of you? I have no idea what gives.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mine goes black for a couple seconds sometimes, though I figure it's just either the soundbar pass through or my tv getting confused. No framerate changes

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
qq about the switch, when it's docked, and I'm using an 8bit do controller, the NFC reader on the right joycon doesn't work right? I'd like to be able to AMIBOO while it's docked. I tried having the right JOYCON out, but BOTW won't let you have a joycon and another controller both active at the same time since it's a 1p game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

question

Yesterday I was playing Zelda Breath on the tv with my switch docked. Out of nowhere the screen flashed black for about half a second and when the picture came back, the game was running at a much higher framerate. Has that ever happened to any of you? I have no idea what gives.

you entered in the secret code to unlock the Switch Pro

The Postman
May 12, 2007

my dock is leaking some kind of goo is this the switch pro leak?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Postman posted:

Oh dang, you need Takashi Mochizukis posting enemies to rectify this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What night be happening is your tv switching from game mode to sports mode or something and adding frame interpolarion

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Disco Elysium just got an (apparently much needed) optimization pass

https://twitter.com/discoelysium/status/1490702373966200835

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Mother of god that's beautiful. Firing it back up tonight for sure.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

repiv posted:

the increasingly inaccurately named "Final Cut"

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

Huxley posted:

Mother of god that's beautiful. Firing it back up tonight for sure.

How is the text readability in handheld mode?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

InfectedZero posted:

How is the text readability in handheld mode?

Fine for me, but I'm a "take my glasses off and play 9 inches from my face" guy so maybe not the best judge. I'll do a screengrab in a bit.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

The Postman posted:

switch pro more like switch poo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What night be happening is your tv switching from game mode to sports mode or something and adding frame interpolarion

i'm pretty sure we have the tv set up to not change its display mode no matter which other device it's displaying from, but i'll double check this.
if it is frame interpolation, it looks insanely good, so props to LG.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 7, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
It will also add a bunch of input lag so you shouldn't have it on

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you entered in the secret code to unlock the Switch Pro

The n64 had a memory card menu you could access by holding start while booting. I didn't know about it and one time me and three friends were fixing to do some kartin' and one of them inadvertently opened that menu. I was all GASP! HOW DID YOU DO THAT? but no one knew how it happened

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally getting a Split Pad Pro after hearing so many good things and falling out of love with the cradle.

Since I play handheld 90% of the time it seems like a no brainer.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

Huxley posted:

Fine for me, but I'm a "take my glasses off and play 9 inches from my face" guy so maybe not the best judge. I'll do a screengrab in a bit.

I updated from a Switch Lite to and OLED since text was beginning to gently caress my eyes over. I was trying to play Monster Train and I really was straining to read the text, it's not even too small in that game. The real test was Invisible Inc, it was borderline impossible to read that text on Lite, OLED has saved my eyes!

Silius fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 7, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

InfectedZero posted:

I updated from a Switch Lite to and OLED since text was beginning to loving my eyes over. I was trying to play Monster Train and really was straining to read the text, it's not even too small that game. The 4eal test was Invisible Inc, was borderline impossible to read that text on Lite, OLED has saved my eyes!

Man, don't tell me that. We just bought a lite for my wife rather than give her this one and upgrade. Maybe for Christmas.

Anyway, here's the least spoilery text grab I could find in 30 seconds of running around, to see DE's font size.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1490729866454388738

Here's a post-patch load screen.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1490729560366673920

And here's the same load pre-patch, which took longer than the 30-second quick-save video could fit.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1490731481500581890

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DE's user interface was pretty clearly made for smaller text sizes than really works on the Switch portably, there are some pretty awkward looking interface elements (IIRC the thought catalog was especially weird) but hey, it's DE on the go, and portable is always my preferred way to do visual novel-like stuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Dogballs posted:

question

Not that I remember, not even after marathoning the game for ca. 14+ hours over the weekend

Then again, I never play docked, so it may be related to that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Animal Crossing ever go on sale digitally? I never paid close attention to it during sales since I already have it but I was thinking of getting it for my girlfriend.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Animal Crossing ever go on sale digitally? I never paid close attention to it during sales since I already have it but I was thinking of getting it for my girlfriend.

According to DekuDeals, it looks like it has never gone on sale digitally.
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/animal-crossing-new-horizons

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

Huxley posted:

Man, don't tell me that. We just bought a lite for my wife rather than give her this one and upgrade. Maybe for Christmas.

Anyway, here's the least spoilery text grab I could find in 30 seconds of running around, to see DE's font size.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1490729866454388738

Here's a post-patch load screen.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1490729560366673920

And here's the same load pre-patch, which took longer than the 30-second quick-save video could fit.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1490731481500581890

I was also playing in the dark in bed if that counts for anything on screwing with my eyes ahahaha. So don't regret that purchase, I'm sure it will be fine. Invisible Inc was by far the worst offender when it came to text.

That text doesn't look bad at all.
The load time difference is loving bonkers. Really impressive. I look forward to trying out this game in the future, I've only heard good things.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
https://voiceofcards.square-enix-games.com/en_US/theforsakenmaiden

Holy poo poo a new Voice of Cards game comes out in a week and half. Which is great because I just finished the first one. (it was a great mainline of nostalgia while doing cardio, and I hope I can do the same with the new one)

Now to continue tweeting at Yoko Taro and Suda 51 to collaborate.

(also, I'm gonna fuckin say it, playing video games while doing cardio is loving bonkers and is definitely one of the main reasons I've managed to lose around 50 pounds in the last 14 months)

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mezzanon posted:

https://voiceofcards.square-enix-games.com/en_US/theforsakenmaiden

Holy poo poo a new Voice of Cards game comes out in a week and half. Which is great because I just finished the first one. (it was a great mainline of nostalgia while doing cardio, and I hope I can do the same with the new one)

Now to continue tweeting at Yoko Taro and Suda 51 to collaborate.

(also, I'm gonna fuckin say it, playing video games while doing cardio is loving bonkers and is definitely one of the main reasons I've managed to lose around 50 pounds in the last 14 months)

That looks pretty cool, getting the demo for the first one!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think Nintendo games go on sale.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Should I buy octopath traveler?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I dunno, should you?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I enjoyed it. The gameplay is fun and has enough depth and freedom to let you do stuff like find and defeat an optional boss 15 levels early, and I liked that almost every sidequest has multiple solutions that involve solving the problem in fundamentally different ways. A lot of people got mad that the characters' stories don't interact beyond some brief skits during each chapter, so I guess watch out if that sounds like an issue to you.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

The Sean posted:

I don't think Nintendo games go on sale.
Some of them will go 30% off on occasion but several of their big sellers haven't and they don't just cycle through sales all the time like most publishers.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

I dunno, should you?

You tell me.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

large hands posted:

You tell me.

I've never played it. So yes.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

InfectedZero posted:

I've never played it. So yes.

Done.

Snake Maze posted:

I enjoyed it. The gameplay is fun and has enough depth and freedom to let you do stuff like find and defeat an optional boss 15 levels early, and I liked that almost every sidequest has multiple solutions that involve solving the problem in fundamentally different ways. A lot of people got mad that the characters' stories don't interact beyond some brief skits during each chapter, so I guess watch out if that sounds like an issue to you.

Nice, I'll see if I can find it used.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

large hands posted:

Should I buy octopath traveler?

If you happen to have Gamepass it's available there. I've bounced off of it twice now, but I have trouble sticking with JRPGs. I don't see it on sale anywhere so I wouldn't recommend it at full price, but $30-$40 would probably be a decent price.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

cum jabbar posted:

Take advantage of every boost opportunity. Powerslide into mini boosts constantly. You can also do tricks off of every little ramp for even more boost. Doing these will completely change your Mario Karting experience.

In addition, you'll need to unlock certain gear with stars, equip the right setup, learn each maps shortcuts, and learn how to maximize item usage, and learn how to use items defensively.

MK8 is more complex than most people realize when it comes to being very competitive.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

repiv posted:

I hated this game. People hold videogames to a lower standard when it comes to writing.

If a game has average writing, like Halo, gamers think its epic.

Along with the fact that the whole game is listening to dialogue, it's also got some serious problems with pathing.

And the load times may be shorter, but they'll still be too frequent. Gotta load every time you walk into a new area? For a mostly 2D game?

Yet breath of the wild you can explore a beautiful gigantic 3d world without a load screen.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

I hated this game. People hold videogames to a lower standard when it comes to writing.

Along with the fact that the whole game is listening to dialogue, it's also got some serious problems with pathing.

And the load times may be shorter, but they'll still be too frequent. Gotta load every time you walk into a new area? For a mostly 2D game?

Yet breath of the wild you can explore a beautiful gigantic 3d world without a load screen.

:goonsay:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ChocNitty posted:

I don't even care about DE but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ