Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hey toronto remember when it snowed and you had to call the army

hey ottawa remember when some trucks came and you had to call the nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

stupid american posting, is it true that the ottawa police can't do anything about certain areas because they are federally owned? i.e. the capitol

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Vintersorg posted:

Seems like it. :/

My wife works at the Winnipeg Clinic right near there and I can't imagine how horrible it is. We went to Magic Bird on Sherbrook Saturday and you could faintly hear the horns from there - 3km away. Like, it must be just absolutely terrible downtown.

Pathetic that even Regina has had a better response than our local cops here. Absolutely loving worthless

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

actionjackson posted:

stupid american posting, is it true that the ottawa police can't do anything about certain areas because they are federally owned? i.e. the capitol

that's the first I've heard of it, pretty sure that in practice if the police actually wanted to break up the protests they could go wherever they wanted

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

that's the first I've heard of it, pretty sure that in practice if the police actually wanted to break up the protests they could go wherever they wanted

I'm watching some of this ottawa police council thing, one of the deputies said they could not go into those areas (confederation park?) without permission from the "NCC" (?) because they were federal properties (I guess that makes sense since it's the capital of Canada)

edit: it's at 38 min here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK131_eiG9s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rutibex posted:

kind of embarrassing for Toronto to call on the rcmp. aren't they supposed to be a city? don't they have cops. I thought you only call the rcmp when your in the wilderness

afaik toronto did not call the rcmp. the protest was handled by tps

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Nope.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the police can do whatever the gently caress they want canada is a police junta. this is all unserious lies about caring for rule of law, while they support their chosen cause (spreading covid faster than even capital likes)

like loving REALLY. you think homeless people drinking in confederation park thumb their noses at ops and tell them to call the rcmp?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

actionjackson posted:

I'm watching some of this ottawa police council thing, one of the deputies said they could not go into those areas (confederation park?) without permission from the "NCC" (?) because they were federal properties (I guess that makes sense since it's the capital of Canada)

National Capital Commission.

In practice that's mostly bullshit. Ottawa cops deploy there all the time, both RCMP and OPS deploy on Wellington street, and I've woken up in the night with the RCMP at the door because my brother had just sold his car and the guy who bought it had wrecked it in gatineau park, and the paperwork hadn't been sorted out properly so they thought it was still his car.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

actionjackson posted:

they can say that all they want but in practice if they actually wanted to break up the protests they would just do so

it isn't like going into confederation park is a get out of jail free card, if the police were chasing a shoplifter and the shoplifter ran into confederation park the officers wouldn't stop at the border and go oh poo poo better call the prime minister to see if we're allowed to follow them

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

lol just lol that the police get more than 1 in $4 of the City of Winnipeg's budget and can't do anything at all about a blockade, but can track a randon white SUV from downtown Winnipeg to Headingly after it hits some fascist collaborators and have a press conference within 12 hours

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I guess spending all that money on the blowjob helicopter formerly known as "Air Wolf" was very well spent money

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hmm that would explain why one of the women in that call (Carol) was shaking her head when she said that lol

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

There are probably agreements in play but pretending they don’t have jurisdiction is a lie. Firing your chief mid-crisis is generally a bad look, but Ottawa is demonstrating when it is appropriate.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

actionjackson posted:

It is not.

The law that makes you a cop in Ottawa makes you a cop anywhere in Ontario. Local regs may order you not to do cop stuff in other jurisdictions, but legally your powers work just as well in Emo as they do in Cornwall, and certainly anywhere in Ottawa you can get into without bolt cutters.

There are MOUs here that carve up the city into areas of primary jurisdiction. Usually this causes problems on the highways: if you see someone do something dumb in traffic on the 417, the OPS desk will fob you off on the OPP (so if you're eastbound, just wait until you're past the split and then call the locals).

The National Capital Commission is the federal agency responsible for maintaining the buildings, roads and grounds of the government departments in the region, in both Ontario and Quebec. They're famously unaccountable and routinely piss off municipal governments on both sides with their enforcement, which a lot of people think is highhanded. The agency of primary jurisdiction for federal lands is the federal police (RCMP, or GRC in French), so when the NCC needs some kids kicked out of their lemonade stand, it's the gravel road cops who go do that for them. Confederation Park is managed by the NCC, so while Ottawa cops absolutely can go there to do cop stuff (and have), they prefer not to, and "what the gently caress were you doing in the park" is a question that comes up a lot behind closed doors, so I'm told

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
lmao I keep forgetting that the truck convoy is American

Literally harassing another country and saying they represent the country’s people. But that’s an American tradition.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

are there really no canadian truckers in the convoy? iirc alberta has tons of chuds

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

why are so many americans interested in this and us

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There are absolutely Canadian truckers there. Or at least Canadians with trucks. I don't know if you can still call them truckers if they've been fired for not being vaccinated.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because it is 100% going to happen in America and we will do even less about it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

it's front-page news in the US because the US right sees it as an inspiring model for resisting Covid mandates and is promoting it 24/7 on media and governmental platforms

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

it's front-page news in the US because the US right sees it as an inspiring model for resisting Covid mandates and is promoting it 24/7 on media and governmental platforms

oh no

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

vyelkin posted:

lol little yankee men gonna pull a colour revolution

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's the perfect grift for a dying increasingly violent right wing.

Lots of trucks make it seem like the movement is more popular than it is because of the sheer scale of trucks.

They get to rag against mainstream media for not covering the people who actually enjoy being occupied and the Gofundme controversy just riles up their culture war bullshit.

It's chud catnip

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
general strike!!!

no not like that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the attorney general of texas, an indicted felon, wants to investigate gofundme for shutting down the grifter's page, because apparently so many texans had donated to it and now think gofundme is censoring their political speech

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyelkin posted:

the attorney general of texas, an indicted felon, wants to investigate gofundme for shutting down the grifter's page, because apparently so many texans had donated to it and now think gofundme is censoring their political speech

I saw that lmao how loving stupid

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koirhor posted:

general strike!!!

no not like that

lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

because it resembles america so much lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1490161384587468800

This was Twitter's first suggestion under a (much more relevant) tweet by Justin Ling about the truckers' nonsensical demands:

https://twitter.com/Justin_Ling/status/1486089777799651330

Now who the gently caress is Benny Johnson, you ask? After seconds of painstaking research, I still don't know or care. I just thought maybe it was Ben Johnson taking a break from his cheetah business to get political, but he must have more sense than that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CLAM DOWN posted:

my friends started asking if i knew anything about it and said the truckers had lots of guns and the cops were afraid of them so i started reading about it. its pretty funny that honking is the most effective and dastardly protest tactic ever invented

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

eXXon posted:

This was Twitter's first suggestion under a (much more relevant) tweet by Justin Ling about the truckers' nonsensical demands:

Now who the gently caress is Benny Johnson, you ask? After seconds of painstaking research, I still don't know or care. I just thought maybe it was Ben Johnson taking a break from his cheetah business to get political, but he must have more sense than that.

He got fired from Buzzfeed for plagiarism and I think one other place, also for plagiarism. He has since then been embarrassing himself on stage at CPAC and other conventions by talking about memes.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

eXXon posted:

chapoheads will be well acquainted with Ben Johnson who is a massive weirdo freak reactionary piece of poo poo

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

eXXon posted:

Now who the gently caress is Benny Johnson, you ask?

all you need to know:

https://youtu.be/Er03HgiLKxI

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why is it that I know of multiple established youtube creators struggle to get twitter verified but seemingly every other loving nobody chud is verified?

but also literally cackled out loud. Yeah, Trudeau gonna step down any day bro.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

actionjackson posted:

are there really no canadian truckers in the convoy? iirc alberta has tons of chuds

like America we've always had chuds outside any major urban center

now we've got the added bonus of them getting all hosed up on Fox News and screaming about their 1st amendment rights or whatever

CaptainACAB posted:

Because it is 100% going to happen in America and we will do even less about it

I am REALLY curious what happens when they try this poo poo amidst a population that has easy access to guns

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

vyelkin posted:

I have yet to hear an argument that wiping Texas from the map wouldn't improve humanity.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainACAB posted:

I have yet to hear an argument that wiping Texas from the map wouldn't improve humanity.

A lot of left-leaning folk live in the cities, namely some friends.

Just shoot all the republican politicians into the sun and it'd be good enough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Durf posted:

I am REALLY curious what happens when they try this poo poo amidst a population that has easy access to guns

probably nothing because they're the ones with the guns and also the cops are on their side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

my friends started asking if i knew anything about it and said the truckers had lots of guns and the cops were afraid of them so i started reading about it. its pretty funny that honking is the most effective and dastardly protest tactic ever invented

It's an overwhelmingly white, male, conservative mob sporting fascist flags and slogans. The Ottawa police are saying they're afraid because it's an easier sell to the public than "we still haven't found any officers willing to enforce the law against them".