Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

CollegeCop posted:

Not pissing me off today - :yotj: I :yotj: GOT :yotj: A :yotj: NEW :yotj: JOB :yotj: !!!

Small State university, doing the parts of the job I actually liked from <PreviousJob>

Spent the last week worrying that something was going to fall through when HR processed my paperwork

Got my New Hire packet yesterday - start date of Feb. 14th.

Woke up at 1am this morning in a cold sweat because they are going to fire me within the first week when they discover I know nothing.

Yay Anxiety!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Smart hands were asked to install some firewalls and power them on. Instead of powering them on they threw the power cables out so now I'm gonna have to wait even longer before I can start working on them.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Thanks Ants posted:

Did the cables ever run past rooms that had lots of electrical equipment in?

Nope, just runs from one side of a small office suite to the other.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Smart hands were asked to install some firewalls and power them on. Instead of powering them on they threw the power cables out so now I'm gonna have to wait even longer before I can start working on them.

:murder:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I asked smart hands to verify that some cables running to our rack were patched into corresponding switches at the providers end, and they helpfully plugged them both into random switch ports in our rack and caused both interfaces on the switch we were using for the Internet link to shutdown, and then when I asked them if this outage was possibly related to the update on my "find this information out please" ticket from five minutes ago, straight up lied and said they hadn't touched anything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Having taken smart hands jobs in the past, almost every time the person needing the work done would come with some garbage low ball offer, and if that’s what you’re doing you deserve the quality of worker you’re getting.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

CollegeCop posted:

Spent the last week worrying that something was going to fall through when HR processed my paperwork

Got my New Hire packet yesterday - start date of Feb. 14th.

Woke up at 1am this morning in a cold sweat because they are going to fire me within the first week when they discover I know nothing.

Yay Anxiety!

Oh no, you have at least a month before they consider that.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Thanks Ants posted:

If the rooms are on different electrical supplies and there's a possibility of a ground potential difference then not running copper between the rooms makes sense. Unlikely if these are just two rooms in the same building though.

Did the cables ever run past rooms that had lots of electrical equipment in?

Wait, is this a thing? This can't be a thing right? I know older stuff like serial used signals based on ground, but I understood ethernet worked on the difference in the pair, not from ground.

Am I about to have my brain exploded?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I kind of figured this was the case just from my long experience with AD and traditional Windows infrastructure :(. Oh well, guess I have to figure out if it's worth the trouble of writing said scripts.

Jesus the TAM can't even help me? OUTRAGEOUS. I demand to speak to your manager. This client drops multiple thousands of dollars a year on your service, we expect solutions! Multiple thousands! Up to and including possibly 10 thousand American dollars! You'd think AWS would want to help what I can only presume is one of their biggest customers!

"On behalf of the entire AWS organization, I apoligize for your poor exierience. As you know, every customer is important regardless of size and I'd be happy to let you speak with my manager. He can be reached at awsmanager@amazon.com. Have a good day!"

Your post reminds me of this time back in the day when I was working for a second-tier cell-phone provider. A group of us were out to lunch in a Mexican food restaurant and the VP of Operations (who was a dick) didn't get gis food fast enough after he placed a late change order after all of our orders were taken and our lunches were getting made. The waiter comes over to us after VP flags him down and the VP starts to grouse about his late meal.

VP: "Do you know who I am? I am the VP of $cellphonecompany!"

Waiter (unimpressed): "You said '$cellphonecompany?"

VP: "Yes!"

Waiter: *pulls cell phone from his pocket * "So this is your company?"

VP: "YES!"

Waiter: "so since I'm a customer of yours, doesn't that mean you work for me?"

:VP: *apopleptic*

:rest of us: :discourse:

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It's more that for some reason Windows Update isn't working correctly on these 2019 instances

Makes sense. If ya gotta rebuild why not rebuild with he latest. But like others have said, I'm not sure that rebuilding is necessary in the first place.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm one month in now, they still haven't fired me :sun:

Some impostor syndrome going on though, that's for sure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And then a month later you're like "how did I end up working with these incompetents..."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Makes sense. If ya gotta rebuild why not rebuild with he latest. But like others have said, I'm not sure that rebuilding is necessary in the first place.

I guess I A) don't mind rebuilding because I do it a fair bit (I mean not every week, but I used to build a full AD domain environment 10-20 times a year, thankfully less these days as we transition to Azure-only deploys) and B) I don't see domain infrastructure as something that needs to be frozen in place for 10 years. Part of it as I mentioned is scale - we're talking small to midsize companies, no more than 500 users, and these days they're mostly operating off cloud services tied to AD rather than services on the domain servers themselves, so rebuilding a domain piece by piece isn't that big a deal because I'm not taking down "the fileserver" for 20000 users, though back in those days it was DFS so that wouldn't have happened anyway.

My philosophy is to treat pets as much like cattle as possible - I deployed these 2019 instances in late 2019 or early 2020, so fuckit, spending a week replacing them two years later (and trying to automate what I can) is fine. That was why my original question - it's easy enough to deploy instances en-masse, and I can Powershell various things on those instances to make the process faster, but I was wondering if there was a way to do an automated full domain setup/migration with IAC, given how much of this stuff is STILL ancient 2003-era Microsoft technology that hasn't yet been made Azure-cloud-native (looking at you, NPS).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just laughed in a meeting with a vendor when the CRM they were pitching relied on generating app passwords and re-enabling basic auth to send emails from Exchange Online rather than integrating as an application and using the APIs as has been the industry standard for literally years now.

Hopefully going to progress the move to passwordless so that questions like that can be answered with "we don't have passwords, so we can't give you one".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Entering hour 3 of a receipt printer support call for a crappy parking garage software. :suicide:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ham Equity posted:

Entering hour 3 of a receipt printer support call for a crappy parking garage software. :suicide:

THE PAPER IS IN WRONG

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

Just laughed in a meeting with a vendor when the CRM they were pitching relied on generating app passwords and re-enabling basic auth to send emails from Exchange Online rather than integrating as an application and using the APIs as has been the industry standard for literally years now.

Then what the gently caress are they gonna do when MS cuts off basic auth in October, finally? lmao

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

me: hello [client], here are the files you asked for. i've included a README which explains why there are two versions of [file].

client: hey [me], why are there two versions of [file]?

:bighow:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Then what the gently caress are they gonna do when MS cuts off basic auth in October, finally? lmao

Probably complain that their software broke due to an unannounced change that MS made, and encourage everybody to sign up to some free-with-your-web-hosting email provider

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I just got a notice from Google that my two legacy g-suite domains are going away this Summer.

For two decades I've had unlimited email accounts, unlimited storage, all the apps in workspaces and all the rest and it's going away.

What, they want me to pay $6/user now? perposterous!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can apparently fill in a form and keep it, see https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991414

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

I just got a notice from Google that my two legacy g-suite domains are going away this Summer.

For two decades I've had unlimited email accounts, unlimited storage, all the apps in workspaces and all the rest and it's going away.

Yeah they announced this a week or two ago (or at least it was reported then on a tech site somewhere), but only started sending notices to people this week - I got the notices for my two domains yesterday. I'm in the same boat as you - really aggravating. I hope they do something with the feedback from that form Thanks Ants referred to, which I dutifully filled in. I do email migrations very frequently for customers, but I'd really prefer not to have to do it for my own poo poo - I do enough work at work, if you know what I mean.

That said, if they insist on it, fuckem, Google's turned enough to poo poo that there's no way I'm paying them for a half-baked app suite where every other application will be unceremoniously deprecated each year and replaced with something else that does 80% of what the old one did. So it'd be off to M365 and their family plan - $100 a year for 6 users? Works for me! (Technically you're only supposed to be able to use a GoDaddy custom domain with the family plan but some bright spark on Reddit found that you can just get the DNS records you need from the M365 signup page, put them in your own DNS and the M365 signup process will take it).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

devmd01 posted:

Expect you to delegate a second level domain to their kazahk hosted webserver. We had a few crm providers asking that when we said that we use microsoft 365 and we don't provide smtp/imap/pop3 access to third parties.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Agrikk posted:

zoho is still free if you can fit in 5gb mailboxes and if you don't need that many office365 family does provide custom domain hosting(albeit with some caveats)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

poo poo pissing me off: having to return to being in the office two days a week

Helping mitigate that: a bunch of contests with with some decent prizes like PTO or a garage parking spot.

Edit: Unrelated thing: guess who's working on the internal site that uses frames, not iframes, but using the frame set tag? That right me!

Maigius fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 3, 2022

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Working in WPF, one of our pieces of UI uses a third party control that for whatever reason requires a List<object> (can't use the actual object type your binding) to be bound to it to contain its selected values . And this guy is getting his back up saying he can't use it because how he's supposed to know what type of objects they are. Like loving cast them when you need to make use of them dude, you have been a programmer for over a loving decade and have a university degree. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Thank god, I'm done at this place at the end of next week.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Le Saboteur posted:

Working in WPF, one of our pieces of UI uses a third party control that for whatever reason requires a List<object> (can't use the actual object type your binding) to be bound to it to contain its selected values . And this guy is getting his back up saying he can't use it because how he's supposed to know what type of objects they are. Like loving cast them when you need to make use of them dude, you have been a programmer for over a loving decade and have a university degree. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Thank god, I'm done at this place at the end of next week.

Dx listboxedit :o ?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

bobua posted:

Dx listboxedit :o ?

Its their ComboBoxEdit, but yeah DevExpress does some weird things with their controls.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Another day, another scripting project finished which then gets a response from Joe of "why did you do that, who told you to do that? who asked for it? what were the requirements? Is $($Joe.Boss) aware of this and have you cleared it with him?"

You told me to do it Joe. You assigned the ticket to my boss with an instruction to assign it to me. The person named in the "Ticket requestor" field is the person who asked for it. That person clearly stated the requirements and where they were unclear I have communicated with the requester in the ticket and got clarification in the ticket. $(Joe.Boss) is CCd in the ticket, he has also responded to queries in the ticket, has raised his concerns in the ticket, had them answered in the ticket and given the go-ahead to proceed... you guessed it... in the ticket.

I still have to "confirm the requirements" with the guy who originally requested it and feed them back to Joe, whatever the gently caress that means beyond what's in the ticket, and also verbally confirm with $($Joe.Boss) that it's ok before it goes live because obviously a verbal confirmation better than written confirmation from him in the loving ticket! Fortunately said boss randomly turned up to our team meeting so Joe could hear me ask, and only cared that what I was doing wasn't going to replace a (poo poo) script he wrote that does something similar on a much smaller scale on a completely different system. No it's not going to replace that. It probably should replace it but it isn't going to.

It now can't go live until Joe speaks to the requester to find out what this script is, even though it's 100% complete, tested, working and ready for handover.

ISTG. I should just ignore all new scripting requests for a month, then mention them in the team meeting and see if Joe kicks off or not.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress off Joe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

If the rooms are on different electrical supplies and there's a possibility of a ground potential difference then not running copper between the rooms makes sense. Unlikely if these are just two rooms in the same building though.

Ground potential ? Oh you.

We were building out a whole floor of new lab space. Some of the labs were using positive pressure ventilation. The new Senior Scientist brought in to oversee the buildout noticed that both labs were on common plumbing. So one GxP lab was going to be getting the grey water waste from another GxP lab, at pressure. This was a million dollar fix that Facilities didn't want to do until it got escalated back to our corporate overlords in Switzerland and they said "gently caress your budget, fix it".

Yes, I'm retelling a Sundae story.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

mllaneza posted:

Ground potential ? Oh you.

We were building out a whole floor of new lab space. Some of the labs were using positive pressure ventilation. The new Senior Scientist brought in to oversee the buildout noticed that both labs were on common plumbing. So one GxP lab was going to be getting the grey water waste from another GxP lab, at pressure. This was a million dollar fix that Facilities didn't want to do until it got escalated back to our corporate overlords in Switzerland and they said "gently caress your budget, fix it".

Yes, I'm retelling a Sundae story.

Pharmaceutical IT is a hell of a thing. I’m rapidly falling behind in my day to day support work because I’m expected to drop everything to sit in on meetings about IQs and OQs for projects I otherwise have no involvement in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There are two security company vans parked outside this morning. They must be here to run cable and install the new badge readers. Nobody told me this. Probably get to spend all morning babysitting these fuckers now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There are two security company vans parked outside this morning. They must be here to run cable and install the new badge readers. Nobody told me this. Probably get to spend all morning babysitting these fuckers now.

Twist: they aren't really security company vans but they are real physical security professionals and they're there for a red team pen test you don't know about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KillHour posted:

Twist: they aren't really security company vans but they are real physical security professionals and they're there for a red team pen test you don't know about.

Someone needs to make a Choose Your Own Adventure book series with IT Themes

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The person you chewed out on page 2 was the CFO. You're fired.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Agrikk posted:

Hrm. Haven't got a notification about that yet. I switched away to O365 like half a year ago or so, because I got sick reading about all the stories of Google loving over your entirely existence on their servers across multiple products, for their AI tripping up and locking you out, say for poo poo you posted on Youtube or whatever. To not keep all your eggs in one basket, or how they say.

I'm paying like 14 eurobux a month for this, but at least it includes the Office desktop suite.

So in principle I don't care, except they didn't stop me from buying Android apps on said account, so they're going the way of the dodo, since there's no way to migrate the purchases.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Security is applying azure policy without sufficient testing and just broke azure image builder org wide

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is more secure :smuggo:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

So in principle I don't care, except they didn't stop me from buying Android apps on said account, so they're going the way of the dodo, since there's no way to migrate the purchases.

You can maybe migrate it to a free standard account (no custom domain or anything) and keep the apps that way. Just stop using it for email, keep it for the purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ugh, I wish people were capable of using the email subject line. Getting a message "FW: Internet problems" when the last time the Internet was mentioned was five messages back in the thread and you're now talking about something else doesn't help