Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

withak posted:

:lol: if that isn't who you picture while reading posts in this thread.

E: inflammatory.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

quote:

People on bikes don't have to stop at red lights, and they especially don't have to stop at stop signs, and they very much can go the wrong way down one ways, because bikes are special, and exempt from these things. Also they can ride in the middle of traffic lanes and on the sidewalk. And they don't have to give way to pedestrians on crosswalks, they can just go through them.

Fe fi fo fum

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lobster shirt posted:

wife and i walked to the park with our kid today, the part walking through quiet residential streets isnt bad but there's a part of the walk where you're on the sidewalk of a big thoroughfare. unpleasant!!! unpleasant to talk and stroll when cars are zooming by at 45 mph. gently caress cars!!!

don't forget all the particles and chemicals you're breathing in from the tires and exhaust

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had a coffee the other day in a nice little mountain town

Alfresco on a main Street

I couldn't hear anyone speak it it was so loud

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

vyelkin posted:

i hate czars

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Fe fi fo fum

I mean, bikes are more maneuverable than cars and can go places cars can't. And everyone on a bike is one less car you have to deal with.

That said you shouldn't run stop signs in front of traffic, if only for self-preservation reasons.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

i hate czars

Sweats Nicholas the Second-ishly

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

And then you're punished if a cop feels like pulling you over for going with the flow of traffic

When I was in high school 20 years ago the chp spokesperson told my class we'll pull you over and ticket you whenever we feel like it

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

PeterCat posted:

I mean, bikes are more maneuverable than cars and can go places cars can't. And everyone on a bike is one less car you have to deal with.

That said you shouldn't run stop signs in front of traffic, if only for self-preservation reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBXpw9iqDU

mystes
May 31, 2006

People on bikes should absolutely not do dumb things to endanger pedestrians and other cyclists but it's true that most traffic rules aren't really necessary for bikes if they're just going like 10 mph and there are no cars.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

flying by that pedestrian in the crosswalk and missing them only by a couple inches is the moment my empathy turned off for these guys

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Went on a run yesterday and almost immediately got flattened by a cop who went into the left lane to run a red light while I was in the crosswalk. If it wasn't so cumbersome, I'd love to run with a gopro so I could make bad driver compilations

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

don't forget all the particles and chemicals you're breathing in from the tires and exhaust

impossible to forget because i live by a major stroad and traffic noise is audible in my house 24/7

like last year when the city froze and half the residents lost power (very bad) nobody was driving and for the first time it was actually quiet. would be nice to experience that without a major disaster killing hundreds of people!!!!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Being a conscientious street/sidewalk user is absolutely a responsibility no matter how one's getting around. Two things that are true that can be held in parallel: cyclists are capable of being dangerous assholes and bad behavior shouldn't be tolerated; drivers are the principle source of traffic violence because cars are a dozen orders of magnitude more lethal than bicycles and must be reined in.

A 99-year-old Holocaust survivor in a wheelchair was murdered in a crosswalk this weekend:
https://twitter.com/Naparstek/status/1490690321788850178?t=utLL9C63HVPBPUSvPj9JnA&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tom kite posted:

When I was in high school 20 years ago the chp spokesperson told my class we'll pull you over and ticket you whenever we feel like it

At least he's honest

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i feel like the life expectancy of doing this is similar to those russian dudes that climb to the top of giant towers with no harness

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
saw some high energy car brain in Portugal today. felt like I was back in Canada for a moment.

even driving a lil tinycar here is a pain so I'm not sure what motivates someone to do this, but it's probably not one of the good emotions.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

saw some high energy car brain in Portugal today. felt like I was back in Canada for a moment.

even driving a lil tinycar here is a pain so I'm not sure what motivates someone to do this, but it's probably not one of the good emotions.
I saw trucks flying the Confederate flag in rural France. They did so because they couldn't get away with flying the swastika.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

speed bumps were installed on my street.

the cars come down the street at the exact same speed, but now much louder.

great

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Horace posted:

great
Install speed spikes instead

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I live about half a mile away from a highway. depending on weather conditions, it’s either quiet, or the noise blasts up and I hear loud droning traffic from sun down to around midnight. it is gloriously quiet on holidays or when we get a cold snap. and they want to add lanes to this highway!! gently caress cars

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

imagine surviving concentration camps and then getting run over by a bmw in a crosswalk. what a nightmare

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1490692440633786369

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Horace posted:

great

drat I need to buy an SUV so I can hit these speed bumps at full speed without slowing down! <-- Apparently what everyone who drives an SUV down my street with speed bumps thinks.

For some reason both myself and my partner have noticed a wild increase in car brain at our end of the street recently. This is a very suburban street in the central part of the city, pretty much exclusively PMC people, families etc. there wouldn't be a house worth less than $1.5M here. Up until a few weeks ago the biggest car parked on the road near us was a Ford Ranger, which already stood out against all the other predominately Japanese and European cars. Then recently somebody got this enormous stupid looking Jeep wrangler rubicon thing with huge tires, winches all over it etc. (never any mud obvs). Now there's another ford ranger parked behind the first one and some landcruisers too ahhhhhh. These are absolutely not used for work purposes, none of them ever go off-road, it sucks arse.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
As a compromise of getting rid of cars let's start by taxing SUV and crossover drivers 1million USD/mo and nationalizing Ford and GM.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's some road work going on here, and people are mad at the metal plates because they're so jarring to driver over at 65 mph. But the speed limit is 30 mph, so

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Blackhawk posted:

drat I need to buy an SUV so I can hit these speed bumps at full speed without slowing down! <-- Apparently what everyone who drives an SUV down my street with speed bumps thinks.

For some reason both myself and my partner have noticed a wild increase in car brain at our end of the street recently. This is a very suburban street in the central part of the city, pretty much exclusively PMC people, families etc. there wouldn't be a house worth less than $1.5M here. Up until a few weeks ago the biggest car parked on the road near us was a Ford Ranger, which already stood out against all the other predominately Japanese and European cars. Then recently somebody got this enormous stupid looking Jeep wrangler rubicon thing with huge tires, winches all over it etc. (never any mud obvs). Now there's another ford ranger parked behind the first one and some landcruisers too ahhhhhh. These are absolutely not used for work purposes, none of them ever go off-road, it sucks arse.

during the pandemic the number of adventure cars in my neighborhood exploded. id say over 25% are now bigass jeeps, land rovers, landcruisers, even some of those big luxury mercedes suvs that you usually only see in liveleak vids of drift competitions from saudi arabia

tons of older models of all of those too, the 1980s cherokee seems mostly highly prized.

there’s a pretty cute suzuki samurai nearby tho, so it’s not all bad (never moves from its parking space so I can appreciate it as an objet d’art)

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

Up until a few weeks ago the biggest car parked on the road near us was a Ford Ranger, which already stood out against all the other predominately Japanese and European cars. Then recently somebody got this enormous stupid looking Jeep wrangler rubicon thing with huge tires, winches all over it etc. (never any mud obvs). Now there's another ford ranger parked behind the first one and some landcruisers too ahhhhhh. These are absolutely not used for work purposes, none of them ever go off-road, it sucks arse.

male boomers are so susceptible to peer pressure it's honestly pathetic

my dad used to rag on harley davidson as being dumb and overpriced — "you're paying for the brand, and can get a better motorcycle for less money." one day some guy on a harley made some comment about my dad's bike, and my dad brought it up constantly for like 10 months, and then he traded in his bike for a harley lol

Horace posted:

speed bumps only work if drivers see them. most of the people slamming into the speed bump are probably sending text messages or watching youtube as they drive

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Feb 7, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

male boomers are so susceptible to peer pressure it's honestly pathetic

my dad used to rag on harley davidson as being dumb and overpriced — "you're paying for the brand, and can get a better motorcycle for less money." one day some guy on a harley made some comment about my dad's bike, and my dad brought it up constantly for like 10 months, and then he traded in his bike for a harley lol

I love the HD example because it's totally backfiring on them now that boomers are on the way out

https://youtu.be/EOwxxsPaogY

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love the HD example because it's totally backfiring on them now that boomers are on the way out

NGL I want to ride the HD XDR1200 that thing looks sweet. (But I'm not a motorcycle guy so I will not be buying one, still look's sweet though).

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats right :c00lbert:

Polo-Rican posted:

imagine surviving concentration camps and then getting run over by a bmw in a crosswalk. what a nightmare

american fate :smith:

more reasons to ban cars, killing holocaust survivors probably #1 now

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

the ads for those little honda bikes kick rear end. it would be amazing if lots of people transitioned from cars to little motorbikes for short errands. too bad that won't happen because:

• american masculinity: ego won't allow for any bike other than a big harley (vintage triumph or ducati may also be acceptable)
• american car culture: high chance of getting flattened by an suv, and everyone will posthumously blame you no matter what happened

edit: 200 miles per gallon!! jesus christ

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 20:36 on Feb 7, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I kinda want one now

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Polo-Rican posted:

Of course it was a German SUV.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The problem with motorcycles in the US is the same problem as trucks. In the rest of the world they are small and practical, in the US they are loud and obnoxious to make up for a small penis.

Pictured, a practical bike in Erbil:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i would not ride any motorcycle, simply because motorcyclists would see me as one of them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lol

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I have a car and a bicycle.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
My former neighborhood's Carbucks has seen the light and dropped the drive through in favor of a walk through. Partly because the city imposed significant costs on their snarling traffic after sustained public outcry, partly because employees rebelled over the off-duty cop the store contracted to manage traffic.
https://twitter.com/FrederickMelo/status/1490852888997883905?t=QywQ-4wc-jZf6npdeXSUOQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cugel the Clever posted:

My former neighborhood's Carbucks has seen the light and dropped the drive through in favor of a walk through. Partly because the city imposed significant costs on their snarling traffic after sustained public outcry, partly because employees rebelled over the off-duty cop the store contracted to manage traffic.
https://twitter.com/FrederickMelo/status/1490852888997883905?t=QywQ-4wc-jZf6npdeXSUOQ&s=19

There's an In and Out burger near me that has cars lined around the block every night. As well as a Starbucks that is the same. I can't imagine waiting that long for mediocre hamburgers and overpriced coffee. I mean, hamburgers and coffee are like the easiest things in the world to make, learn to do some basic cooking!