Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Desfore posted:

This is the first I’ve heard about the actual gameplay/campaign of KDM, but this sounds like a literal death sentence for interest in a campaign . This is basically the same gameplay reward loop as a Monster Hunter video game, but with perma-death… which is great when you have no idea what any of the bosses do the first time you fight them. I swear, if I ever played a scenario where after battling a tough boss, not only does failure mean you wasted a bunch of time for no reward, but you lost all progress up to that point as well, I would light that game on fire.

At least with a board game you can cheat. Not that I'd ever play that game, but if I bought something with a similar mechanic you can be sure I'd fudge the results to avoid the slog of replaying things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

god drat you moola

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Desfore posted:

This is the first I’ve heard about the actual gameplay/campaign of KDM, but this sounds like a death sentence for interest in a campaign . This is basically the same gameplay reward loop as a Monster Hunter video game, but with perma-death… which is great when you have no idea what any of the bosses do the first time you fight them. I swear, if I ever played a scenario where after battling a tough boss, not only does failure mean you wasted a bunch of time for no reward, but you lost all progress up to that point as well, I would light that game on fire.

It's astounding how many otherwise reasonable people mistake sadism for difficulty. There are some co-op games with really satisfying difficulty curves, but they're things where you develop a skill, and one of the satisfying things is going back to the start and realizing how much better you've gotten. (Both Spirit Island and Gloomhaven have this in spades, though I prefer SI's implementation a bit just because Gloomhaven losses still aren't very interesting, even if they're not wretched like KD's.)

Kingdom Death does it very wrong and it makes me sad that so many folks don't seem to be able to tell the difference.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Fashionable Jorts posted:

At least with a board game you can cheat. Not that I'd ever play that game, but if I bought something with a similar mechanic you can be sure I'd fudge the results to avoid the slog of replaying things.

Guess what On Table Top (Beasts of War) were caught out on? Their playthrough was a fairly long video series and at one point they were caught fudging something to avoid a total party kill.

There then followed an explanatory video where they said that it was necessary to do it else there would have had to be several more episodes that would have been quite samey viewing as they built the settlement back up.

They also acknowledged that there had been a few unshown TPK's previously that would have derailed the campaign. They had then made the editorial decision to replay those so that they could show case some later game mechanics within a reasonable time frame.

I leave it up to you if this was an effort to positively advertise a game (likely a paid for product spotlight) or if it was about good entertainment. Either way, this was the point it became very clear to me that KDM could be a Hella Grindfest with a lot of repeat encounters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'd say I can't imagine there is a KDM scene that actually plays that game in stores

But then I remember the hobby and its audience

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
A classic example of if they had just been honest up front they wouldn't have received any negative feedback.

"We played through each scenario more than once and are showcasing when things went well so we could have a smooth demonstration of the campaign. Your campaigns will likely be much longer and face more setbacks than what we show here."

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Runa posted:

I'd say I can't imagine there is a KDM scene that actually plays that game in stores

Honestly, nerds with the sunk cost fallicy of kdm are going to show up and play it in stores if only to try and justify the $400+ they spent on it

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've only ever seen people buy Kingdom Death because they want the weirdo monster-minis. Never heard of anyone actually playing it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
A youtuber I used to watch posted one session of kingdom death and then immediately went to other games

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's a guy at my local gameshop that's played a lot of KDM on tabletop sim and really wants to own it but won't drop the absurd price to do so

I just nod my head when he goes on about how great the gameplay is because everything I've read says otherwise

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's probably misunderstood the rules in a way that works for him.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I feel like if SJG just released a World of Gor edtion of Munchkin, KDM sales would collapse overnight

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Runa posted:

I once saw a comment from a KDM player who mentioned that he sits with his back to a wall in the store so that rando's walking by don't look over his shoulder at the wrong page in the book.

It may have even been so that other players he invited to play don't see what's in the book, it was awhile back now. He had been enthusing about the amazing setting before that little admission.

So many reasons I didn't buy it after looking into it...

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've only ever seen people buy Kingdom Death because they want the weirdo monster-minis. Never heard of anyone actually playing it.

The one person I know who owns KD is friend of a friend who is very very religious and somewhat sheltered. Which confused the hell out of me hearing he had a bunch of KD, and thats how I learned KD isn’t exclusively titty minis.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ugleb posted:

I once saw a comment from a KDM player who mentioned that he sits with his back to a wall in the store so that rando's walking by don't look over his shoulder at the wrong page in the book.

It may have even been so that other players he invited to play don't see what's in the book, it was awhile back now. He had been enthusing about the amazing setting before that little admission.

So many reasons I didn't buy it after looking into it...

Lol at least people who read smut on the train (usually) have the decency to put blank dust jackets overtop.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Praise the Omnissiah NOW, my Lord.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Some tech-priest got silica, silicon and silicone confused a few millennia ago, and, well

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol at least people who read smut on the train (usually) have the decency to put blank dust jackets overtop.

I get the opposite effect. the people reading the smut are usually the most unconscious of where they are reading it compared to the non-smut readers.

This is amplified by the fact most people on my subway reading non-smut usually do it on tablets/phones while that one guy reading the paperback of how to eat pussy does not

AndyElusive posted:

Praise the Omnissiah NOW, my Lord.

I always love wtf architectural bases like this one.

Construction Manager: "This area is supposed to have a tiled floor but the elevation is 2 feet lower. Need to bring it up. How much fill do we have?"
Contractor 1: "Enough to bring it up by a foot"
Construction Manager: "poo poo.. and it's too late to call in for another order from Mining World XVII"
Contractor 2: ".... lot of skulls around"

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 7, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

EVIL Gibson posted:

I get the opposite effect. the people reading the smut are usually the most unconscious of where they are reading it compared to the non-smut readers.

This is amplified by the fact most people on my subway reading non-smut usually do it on tablets/phones while that one guy reading the paperback of how to eat pussy does not

I always love wtf architectural bases like this one.

Construction Manager: "This area is supposed to have a tiled floor but the elevation is 2 feet lower. Need to bring it up. How much fill do we have?"
Contractor 1: "Enough to bring it up by a foot"
Construction Manager: "poo poo.. and it's too late to call in for another order from Mining World XVII"
Contractor 2: ".... lot of skulls around"

The random skulls on the extra limbs are very similar.

“I’ve got a very advanced cybernetic tentacle that can move and pivot in any direction.”

“Better put a solid object over a foot of it to keep it from bending properly.”

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Post more pictures

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Look at the evil you have wrought Moola.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Angry Marines are probably my favorite fan chapter.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

The random skulls on the extra limbs are very similar.

“I’ve got a very advanced cybernetic tentacle that can move and pivot in any direction.”

“Better put a solid object over a foot of it to keep it from bending properly.”

To be fair, that's not just a random skull. That is a human skull with a lobotomized human brain within, operating the extra limb because the advanced cybernetic tentacle is religiously banned from using artificial intelligence.

Now, who wants a "sexy" rat ninja?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Stupid sexy Skaven.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

that's just a Nezumi from MTG

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Butt why?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo
:eyepop:
:geno:
What pure smut! Why I never!!

:agesilaus:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To be fair, that's not just a random skull. That is a human skull with a lobotomized human brain within, operating the extra limb because the advanced cybernetic tentacle is religiously banned from using artificial intelligence.

I needed a ratfolk mini for a Pathfinder campaign I'm in and I didn't just want to use a Skaven model since they're a bit too big. Holy gently caress there's so much cringey rat models out there.

I gave up and just used a Skaven model.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Honestly wouldn't look twice at that. 3d printing has no shame, if they wanted sexy rat it'd be tight rope bondage titties and more than the ankles exposed.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Really not seeing why that's such a big deal, aside from the "Ugh, furries" which I thought we'd moved past

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Eediot Jedi posted:

Honestly wouldn't look twice at that. 3d printing has no shame, if they wanted sexy rat it'd be tight rope bondage titties and more than the ankles exposed.

Same. She's fully clothed, and none of her clothing appears laminated on.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Floppychop posted:

I needed a ratfolk mini for a Pathfinder campaign I'm in and I didn't just want to use a Skaven model since they're a bit too big. Holy gently caress there's so much cringey rat models out there.

I gave up and just used a Skaven model.

go the other way from ugly skaven and get a cute as gently caress mousling

there are more than just these

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

smug jeebus posted:

Really not seeing why that's such a big deal, aside from the "Ugh, furries" which I thought we'd moved past

imo "Ugh, furries" is justified if they're settling for anatomy that bad, surely they can hold themselves to higher standards

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Panfilo posted:

🤮

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is clearly a furry foot fetishist.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

smug jeebus posted:

I'm didn't think "ugh, furries" when I found it, it was more the boob fitting clothes and shapely legs that was a bit oof.

Yeah, far from the worst.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That was me too, my thought was "ugh, they're trying to make a 'sexy' rat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm didn't think "ugh, furries" when I found it, it was more the boob fitting clothes and shapely legs that was a bit oof.

Yeah, far from the worst.

Yeah if the pant legs and sleeves covered the same length (both to elbow/knee or wrist/ankle) and the boobs were dialed back I'd be on board with that one.