Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

#1 most important thing we can do for transportation:

*drumroll*

DRIVE AN ELECTRIC CAR! (and Vote!)

Didn't look at the quiz but this comment made me frown so fuckin hard. Just automatic response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Didn't look at the quiz but this comment made me frown so fuckin hard. Just automatic response

Holy gently caress the entire thing is sourced from Project Drawdown lmao

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh my God. Oh gently caress why did I click that. Holy poo poo.

LOL it didn't even rank going meatless as the best option on the food section. What Tha Fuuuuuck

Lmao transportation and shipping section is wack af

Aahjjjhhhhhjjgghhjghbhugh

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Pls kill meeeee

Dumbass Qiiz posted:

Designing cities that prioritize walking helps cut emissions from driving, but according to Project Drawdown, some even more impactful ways to reduce energy use can be found at your local hardware store.
LED lightbulbs cost more, but they use far less energy than incandescent and compact fluorescent bulbs, and they last longer. Installing smart thermostats can also offer major climate benefits.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
install leds and we are good for climate change

silicone thrills posted:

Pls kill meeeee
i’m sorry i posted that but at the same time it gives us a glimpse of the mainstream copium and individual responsibility world view that’s being pushed to everyone

lmao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

Oh my God. Oh gently caress why did I click that. Holy poo poo.

LOL it didn't even rank going meatless as the best option on the food section. What Tha Fuuuuuck

Lmao transportation and shipping section is wack af

Aahjjjhhhhhjjgghhjghbhugh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why not simply just take cars off the roads

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60248830

quote:

Climate change: Top companies exaggerating their progress - study

Many of the world's biggest companies are failing to meet their own targets on tackling climate change, according to a study of 25 corporations.

They also routinely exaggerate or misreport their progress, the New Climate Institute report says.

Google, Amazon, Ikea, Apple and Nestle are among those failing to change quickly enough, the study alleges.

Corporations are under pressure to cut their environmental impact as more consumers want green products.

Some of the companies told BBC News they disagreed with some of the methods used in the report and said they were committed to taking action to curb climate change.

The firms analysed account for 5% of global greenhouse-gas emissions, the report says - which means although they have a huge carbon footprint, they have enormous potential to lead in the effort to limit climate change.

"The rapid acceleration of corporate climate pledges, combined with the fragmentation of approaches, means that it is more difficult than ever to distinguish between real climate leadership and unsubstantiated," the study says.

Study author Thomas Day told BBC News his team originally wanted to discover good practices in the corporate world, but they were "frankly surprised and disappointed at the overall integrity of the companies' claims".
Le epic shocked face

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
"Exaggerate"

so...

lied then?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
A good read https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/06/health/climate-anxiety-therapy.html

quote:

Climate Change Enters the Therapy Room

Ten years ago, psychologists proposed that a wide range of people would suffer anxiety and grief over climate. Skepticism about that idea is gone.
The best part:

quote:

He uses elements of cognitive behavioral therapy, like training clients to manage their news intake and look critically at their assumptions.

He also draws on logotherapy, or existential therapy, a field founded by Viktor E. Frankl, who survived German concentration camps and then wrote “Man’s Search for Meaning,” which described how prisoners in Auschwitz were able to live fulfilling lives.

“I joke, you know it’s bad when you’ve got to bring out the Viktor Frankl,” he said. “But it’s true. It is exactly right. It is of that scale. It is that consolation: that ultimately I make meaning, even in a meaningless world.”
Modern life is a concentration camp but it's not THAT bad yet!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1490464665033453572

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

remembering the line in First Reformed where the guy says we'll start having global crop failures by 2025 lol

First Reformed posted:

The bad times they will begin, and from that point everything moves very quickly. You know, this social structure can't bear the stress of multiple crises. Opportunistic diseases, anarchy, martial law, the tipping point. And this isn't in some like distant future. You will live to see this.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

remembering the line in First Reformed where the guy says we'll start having global crop failures by 2025 lol

This is doomer nonsense, because the New York State Pension Fund has pledged to only invest in companies that are carbon net zero by 2040. Everything is going to be fine.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Told you guys Project Draw Down sucks real bad.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The bad times they will begin, and from that point everything moves very quickly. You know, this social structure can't bear the stress of multiple crises. Opportunistic diseases, anarchy, martial law, the tipping point. And this isn't in some like distant future. You will live to see this...

"I'm sorry... I just, I thought things could change, you know, I thought people would listen."

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Has anyone read Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson? Been wanting more climate fiction after The Ministry for the Future.

I have like 5k posts unread because I'm depressed about the climate so maybe this was already discussed. Any other recommendations are welcomed though.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

Told you guys Project Draw Down sucks real bad.

It’s an oil field production guide!!!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

err posted:

Has anyone read Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson? Been wanting more climate fiction after The Ministry for the Future.

I have like 5k posts unread because I'm depressed about the climate so maybe this was already discussed. Any other recommendations are welcomed though.

all fiction is climate fiction, read Dhalgren

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

solving climate change by closing the gender gap in small-scale farming

also lol at not having children not being on there

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

Pls kill meeeee

This is my 4/7 on the dementia scale father in law. The natural gas furnace is constantly cranked to 30o C but God help help you if you leave a light on in an unused hall. I am quite convinced now that low level dementia is the ground state for a lot of us "normal" humans.

I haven't confirmed this but it sounds like some municipalities in the Fraser Valley require a two car garage for each unit in multifamily condo developments. If you only need one car because your municipality actually has usable mass transit and frame in the back of the garage for additional room you will be required to tear it out if future modifications require city approval. :suicide:

T-Paine posted:

A good read https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/06/health/climate-anxiety-therapy.html

The best part:
“I joke, you know it’s bad when you’ve got to bring out the Viktor Frankl,” he said. “But it’s true. It is exactly right. It is of that scale. It is that consolation: that ultimately I make meaning, even in a meaningless world.”

Modern life is a concentration camp but it's not THAT bad yet!

Buy him an account.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao my roommate gets mad at light bulbs left on but god help you if you touch his wintertime heat at 71 so he can wear shorts

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Jesus NYT, read the room.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i say swears online posted:

lmao my roommate gets mad at light bulbs left on but god help you if you touch his wintertime heat at 71 so he can wear shorts

My Dad's like this but to the point where he gets very angry if you're in a room and have more than 1 light bulb on. I offered to pay for a year of lightbulb in cash on the spot and he didn't take it well.

Also he's purposefully misconfigured his furnace in an extremely dangerous and wasteful way because it "saves money" to put extreme amounts of heat through some ducts and nothing through others. Because of this the heat doesn't get evenly distributed and some rooms' ducts are so hot they can catch plastic on fire. If it gets cold enough outside the furnace has to run continually at all times until it overheats and the thermal security breaker cuts power.

He knows exactly why this happens and somehow also insists that modern furnaces need "rebooted" cause they're junk. HVAC pros have told him not to do this. He's relying on a security feature for normal operation. If that part fails the furnace will burn the house down trying to keep it at the designated temperature. When he "reboots" it he's just clearing the fault state and not even waiting for it to return to safe temp.

There's no insulation in the house because installing it could damage the vinyl siding.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

My Dad's like this but to the point where he gets very angry if you're in a room and have more than 1 light bulb on. I offered to pay for a year of lightbulb in cash on the spot and he didn't take it well.

Also he's purposefully misconfigured his furnace in an extremely dangerous and wasteful way because it "saves money" to put extreme amounts of heat through some ducts and nothing through others. Because of this the heat doesn't get evenly distributed and some rooms' ducts are so hot they can catch plastic on fire. If it gets cold enough outside the furnace has to run continually at all times until it overheats and the thermal security breaker cuts power.

He knows exactly why this happens and somehow also insists that modern furnaces need "rebooted" cause they're junk. HVAC pros have told him not to do this. He's relying on a security feature for normal operation. If that part fails the furnace will burn the house down trying to keep it at the designated temperature. When he "reboots" it he's just clearing the fault state and not even waiting for it to return to safe temp.

There's no insulation in the house because installing it could damage the vinyl siding.

is ur dad ok

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah probably whatever i'm pretty checked out tbh. Pretty sure my parents aren't interfacing with the same reality as the rest of us.

I was like "dad the hvac guy said everything will work fine if you just make sure to keep all the vents open all the time. These new furnaces are not like the one we used to have when you guys first got the house."
"I don't believe it."

uh, alright ok? where do you go from that? I've tried to talk about it a few times and he believes that now adays you just need to buy a new furnace system every ten years cause it's something he saw on a commercial.

They do this poo poo about everything and they act like it's 1980 still. Absolute lead brain plastic soul lifeforms. He'll not only be less comfortable, but he'll pay more money, and risk losing everything he has, just to be correct about one stupid thing. It's extremely upsetting and they've done other poo poo that's straight up dangerous, and still refuse to believe anything, so i just checked out.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

yeah probably whatever i'm pretty checked out tbh. Pretty sure my parents aren't interfacing with the same reality as the rest of us.

I was like "dad the hvac guy said everything will work fine if you just make sure to keep all the vents open all the time. These new furnaces are not like the one we used to have when you guys first got the house."
"I don't believe it."

uh, alright ok? where do you go from that? I've tried to talk about it a few times and he believes that now adays you just need to buy a new furnace system every ten years cause it's something he saw on a commercial.

They do this poo poo about everything and they act like it's 1980 still. Absolute lead brain plastic soul lifeforms. He'll not only be less comfortable, but he'll pay more money, and risk losing everything he has, just to be correct about one stupid thing. It's extremely upsetting and they've done other poo poo that's straight up dangerous, and still refuse to believe anything, so i just checked out.

Many such cases

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's existentially offensive to me that in the winter when it's below freezing, I heat my entire home, and then I take a box in my home and cool it back down to below freezing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This country is full of millions of people like this. Tens of millions. What are we to do?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

Pls kill meeeee

you should absolutely install LED's, not to save the planet but the save your sanity from having to change lightbulbs

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

you should absolutely install LED's, not to save the planet but the save your sanity from having to change lightbulbs

it's so nice to change to a new LED and think "i will literally never touch that area of my house again"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
having those lovely ballast flourescents is hell on earth. get LED's in those fuckers asap. you save no energy iirc but you also dont have to replace them like 40 times a year

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

it's so nice to change to a new LED and think "i will literally never touch that area of my house again"

I've had two fail in my life so far. It's such a weird occurrence.

One of them started emmiting a high-pitched whine. It was also located by the fridge, so my initial thought was that the compressor on the fridge was failing. It only took a couple days before I realized that turning the light off caused it to stop :negative:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

get the fancy RGB leds so you can throw yourself a rave party during the apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li4rhq3Fs5I

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
put that above your bed then get breen up there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Ive had all leds in my house for about 8 years now. I'm just not under the illusion that it's saving the planet.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This country is full of millions of people like this. Tens of millions. What are we to do?

check out and die. There's no longer enough time to erode their calcified opinions and unfortunately ocean acidification doesn't work on hyperbolically hypersmooth infinite crystal wisdom brains. Those brains will be permanently destroyed by even one crack, much less an entire ping. There's a level beyond brainworms. You'd have to just ignore them and move on with the plan somehow. Even without them there's already no effective plan and it's impossible to enforce any new plan which might be formed.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's existentially offensive to me that in the winter when it's below freezing, I heat my entire home, and then I take a box in my home and cool it back down to below freezing.

there are some thermal storage systems that just save that heat for later and use it to warm the house. Basically air conditioning except instead of dumping the heat into atmosphere it stores it underground until you need it again.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

my opinion: get a really expensive racing wheel and do rally games. this will come in useful when you have to get really good at driving through the hellscape before the nuclear tractor that wiped out your utopian enclave vaporizes you with a 150mm howitzer

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

check out and die. There's no longer enough time to erode their calcified opinions and unfortunately ocean acidification doesn't work on hyperbolically hypersmooth infinite crystal wisdom brains. Those brains will be permanently destroyed by even one crack, much less an entire ping. There's a level beyond brainworms. You'd have to just ignore them and move on with the plan somehow. Even without them there's already no effective plan and it's impossible to enforce any new plan which might be formed.

As one they adamantly refuse to allow effective changes to be made to their homes and run their property into the ground, possibly killing themselves in the future. As a collective, they do the same, but to the nation. What is to be done?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Burn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
idk in more helpful terms i guess my parents have some kind of authority complex.

everything is zero sum. everything.
there's a rigid ontology.

I can't be right about the furnace because as the Child, I am lower than the Parent and this is enough to just be wrong in and of itself. Only a recognized authority in the matter can be correct.

The problem is each part of this system reinforces the others. If there's only so much to go around there have to be winners and losers which means there has to be a strict hierarchy or else the whole thing would be a free for all. If there's a hierarchy you can't have people swapping between rungs and left and right between categories. You can't have trans people for example, this weakens the hierarchy if people can swap categories. Everything has to be essentialized and cemented into place or the hierarchy will be threatened and this can't be allowed because then your personal place in the chain of being will be threatened and this isn't tolerable because there's only so much to go around. There's only so much respect or money or food or love and everything is zero sum and losing position means losing all those things.

There's any number of entry points into this worldview and once you go in it locks you in by mutually reinforcing other damaging beliefs.