Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

If you never had to create a custom config.sys file to play a PC game, you're a pubeless nymph. Getting Magic Carpet to run was a trial, let me tell you.
"You merely adopted complaining about frame rates. I was born in them. Moulded by them. I didn't see 30fps until I was already a man."

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Spangly A posted:

Oh you hadn't visited the British museum? Definitely check it out before China starts making them give all the stuff back

No i haven't, but presumably it's presented very differently. "look at this interesting exotic artifact" vs "The british starved 200 ottoman POW here to death in 1917 before repurposing them to detain jews bound for palestine in the second world war" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaolos_prisoner_of_war_camp

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never got magic carpet to run properly.

I did manage to play red alert 2 at 1 frame every 2 seconds before I got a graphics card though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Getting a new computer and finding all your old games suddenly played well but still not even one single game you bought new would go above 10fps.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Expected dividend or value returns for anything less sophisticated than BlackRock is significantly less accurate or useful than haruspicy.

The defining economic problem of the post 2008 world is there's too much liquidity, too little production, and your choice is to aggressively compete for the few offerings with single digit % losses or to put it into memes and hope you can insider trade well enough to survive. This environment is obviously less responsive to reality than the pre-crash one, and pretty far beyond the nightmare scenario of the pre-neoliberal economists capable of reading three syllable words.

The reason you see articles where specifically "self made"/new money millionaires are begging to be taxed whenever the guardian gets nervous isn't because they have moral rectitude or empathy or the ability to realistically convey human emotion. The reason is that the increased 15 year returns from almost any increases in production, in exchange for single digit top rate adjustments, are objectively a better deal than anything else in the liberal economic system

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JamesTindale8/status/1490413270842449924

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:ironicat:

x

Joking about exterminating Roma: Very bad
Actually exterminating Roma: Manifesto pledge

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sinky posted:

x

"It's unacceptable to make light of it. People might not take it seriously when we do it."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

josh04 posted:

Getting a new computer and finding all your old games suddenly played well but still not even one single game you bought new would go above 10fps.

I remember the very first PC my family got back in the mid 90's was I think an AST.
What we didn't know at the time we bought it was it had a busted graphics card (or perhaps mother board.)
It was only when my older brothers compute savy friend came over, took one look at it and said "there is something wrong with this computer. The text that appears when you boot up should not be orange."

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the stock market isn’t about dividend payouts anymore and hasn’t been for a while it’s about buying a stock becaus you think someone else will buy it from you later for more money. pure speculative assets and tulip futures

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

sinky posted:

x

:confuoot:

s.s.s.s.snowflakes? I thought... wait... :torygov:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I am younger than you and my first computer was a ZX Spectrum (tape drive storage), and my second an Atari ST (single sided floppy disc, 720k) :shobon:

I didn't have a computer with a hard disc til 1996 and that was a 486 with a 1 gig drive, dual booting Windows 95 and Linux ;p

I think we're about the same age, but my computer history is definitely colourful.

First computer I used was a ZX81, then I ran through just about every 8-bit micro made in the early-80s boom (or at least the ones that turned up cheap enough at the market for my dad to grab one - no Apples or BBCs even Newbrains). In all honesty I think my ability to smoothly bullshit my way past any computer problem without access to a manual (or original box for that matter) is very firmly rooted in those days.

First computer I actually *owned* (because while it was definitely fun to wake up on a Sunday morning to my dad saying "I got you this Commodore 64 up The Lane, but you'd better unplug that Amstrad because Big Jim's already agreed to give me a score for it", it was absolutely ruinous in terms of trying to build up a library of games even with access to my brother's twin cassette deck) was an Atari 800XL, bought for £50 at Hackney car boot sale[1] after a particularly bumper 13th birthday haul - having three considerably older sibilings was a pain when growing up but a loving *bonanza* once they all hit working age.

This of course came with it's own special cassette recorder but much more thrillingly the 1050 floppy drive which - with a shakily-soldered upgrade board installed - could hold 10 or 15 games (twice as many if you had a hole punch to make the drive double-sided) and load them in seconds. Of course the games companies weren't in the habit of wedging a dozen games onto a single disk, but the bloke at the Tinker's Market[2] with the briefcase on a bread crate was, meaning even on late-80s pocket money I soon had a game library the size of which I wouldn't match until Steam sales came along.

There was also an Atari ST after that, then my first PC was a DX4 (faster than a Pentium!) with a 20MB hard drive and most stunningly of all a CD-R drive - with caddies - for £750... from my dad in 1994.

(Sorry the talk of old computer shops last night has got my nostalgia glands a-pumping)

[1] This is the real "old heads know" test for anyone growing up in the east end in the 80s. Hackney Greyhound Stadium started doing car boot sales in their car park in about 1982 for a bit of extra cash - by the late 80s it sprawled across the entire car park, the infield of the dog track, and had an appendix in the car park of the warehouse next door, generating more revenue for them than either dog racing or speedway - over 500 stalls flogging all of the detritus of 80s life.
[2] On the edge of Brick Lane market, under the arches of the Bishopsgate Goodsyard, was the Tinker's Market - a name I only just realise is almost certainly racist - where every stolen bike in London was sold on along with pirated music, games, and VHS tapes. Ebay is impressive but you can't buy a Peugeot ten-speed with a suspiciously clean crank, a third-generation VHS copy of Return Of The Jedi, and a bootleg of Bob Marley's final concert there, can you?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

If you never had to create a custom config.sys file to play a PC game, you're a pubeless nymph. Getting Magic Carpet to run was a trial, let me tell you.

If you didn't have a box just for boot disks you don't ever get to claim to be old.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/sensiblehuman96/status/1490695260053377030

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's what he would have wanted.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

It's what he would have wanted.

I hear Bermuda is quite nice this time of the year, not too busy but still comfy >20C.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On the edge of Brick Lane market, under the arches of the Bishopsgate Goodsyard, was the Tinker's Market - a name I only just realise is almost certainly racist - where every stolen bike in London was sold on along with pirated music, games, and VHS tapes. Ebay is impressive but you can't buy a Peugeot ten-speed with a suspiciously clean crank, a third-generation VHS copy of Return Of The Jedi, and a bootleg of Bob Marley's final concert there, can you?

Just had a Proustian reverie reading this post where I'm standing in the covered section of the Barras waiting for some guy on the Amiga stall to finish copying all 9 Monkey Island 2 floppies while Ebeneezer Goode can be heard faintly in the background over the sound of the sausage auction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I still had my dad's many locking floppy disk caddies full of bootleg amiga games.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Just had a Proustian reverie reading this post where I'm standing in the covered section of the Barras waiting for some guy on the Amiga stall to finish copying all 9 Monkey Island 2 floppies while Ebeneezer Goode can be heard faintly in the background over the sound of the sausage auction.

Bits of the video for Ebeneezer Goode were filmed at Brick Lane Market and under the Goodsyard (but not on Wheeler Street itself where the pirated stuff got sold), nicely closing the circle of nostalgia.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

bump_fn posted:

the stock market isn’t about dividend payouts anymore and hasn’t been for a while it’s about buying a stock becaus you think someone else will buy it from you later for more money. pure speculative assets and tulip futures

The stock market has been a dumping ground for printed money from "quantative easing" since 2008. We're starting to see "inflation" elsewhere in the economy but only because inflation is measured arbitrarily on certain indicators and not things like house/stock/bond markets.

Seeing inflation elsewhere suggests cash leaving these types of assets to me (in my internet armchair) and indicative that we might finally see a crash on markets that have been on life support for 14 years

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Front page zinger

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Imagine just being straight up bodied by your new press chief like that.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My first computer was an Alan Michael Sugar TRaDing CPC 464 and played games like Paperboy and Joe Blade. It had a very heavy green & black CRT monitor that somehow my Mum found an adaptor for (pre-internet days for us, anyway) so I could plug it into my Amiga 500 I got after. I also remember calling my friend up, who did have dial-up internet, to look up the next part of a walkthrough for Commander Keen, so I could make some more progress.

And downloading nudie pics on his computer and copying them to a floppy (lol) to take home to study in further detail in private.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1490410663541452805

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Dead Goon posted:

My first computer was an Alan Michael Sugar TRaDing CPC 464 and played games like Paperboy and Joe Blade. It had a very heavy green & black CRT monitor that somehow my Mum found an adaptor for (pre-internet days for us, anyway) so I could plug it into my Amiga 500 I got after. I also remember calling my friend up, who did have dial-up internet, to look up the next part of a walkthrough for Commander Keen, so I could make some more progress.

And downloading nudie pics on his computer and copying them to a floppy (lol) to take home to study in further detail in private.
I loving loved my CPC (6128 :smug:), still low-key pissed at my parents for chucking it in like 2001 IT'S ONE DODGY WIRE IT WORKS FINE IF YOU JIGGLE IT :argh:

deano
Sep 6, 2000

least theres no booze over there she might actaully make sense for a change.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mine was an Amstrad CPC 464, with colour monitor.
First every game played on it was Oh Mummy. Then Harrier Attack.
Borrowed Elite to play from a friend, and was smitten by it. Loved that game.
The cassette tape copying industry was alive and well and thriving in my town.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

deano posted:

least theres no booze over there she might actaully make sense for a change.

You've not seen that Yes Prime Minister episode with the "communications room" then?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This was my first, a Compukit UK101 in 1980 or 1981. It came in kit form, and the box acted as a case for it (though dad spent extra and got a plastic case for it). 1Mhz 6502 processor, 8K of ram, no graphics, no colour and no sound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can see where you got the idea for the chronovape from.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

Mine was an Amstrad CPC 464, with colour monitor.
First every game played on it was Oh Mummy. Then Harrier Attack.
Borrowed Elite to play from a friend, and was smitten by it. Loved that game.
The cassette tape copying industry was alive and well and thriving in my town.

Mine was also the CPC464, but you were a posh oval office if you got the colour monitor imo. We had to wait for the couple of times a year we were allowed hook it up to the TV so we could play the snooker game and actually tell the colours apart.

Paperboy, Boulder Dash, Jet Set Willy, all that good stuff, as well as programming my own PacMan clone out of the back of a computer mag as a clueless 6yo with too much time on my hands. Amazing I'm not a server-touching IT grognard now

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the 1050 floppy drive which - with a shakily-soldered upgrade board installed - could hold 10 or 15 games (twice as many if you had a hole punch to make the drive double-sided) and load them in seconds.

I'd forgotten all about the hole punch trick until this moment. My Uncle had a 128k Spectrum with a microdrive, which was very impressive until I got a +3 with the 3 inch disc drive.

OwlFancier posted:

I wish I still had my dad's many locking floppy disk caddies full of bootleg amiga games.

I still have many locking floppy disk caddies full of bootleg amiga games (and weird demo scene discs). I should probably see if they're valuable to anyone one of these days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The amiga was actually my first computer, remember playing paradroid 90 and james pond robocod on that, good fun.

Psygnosis still had the coolest logo of any software company since.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

james pond robocod on that, good fun.

A classic. Back in the days where you could infringe the IP of not one but two major film franchises, and even steal their theme music, and they wouldn't do poo poo

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I had a cpc6128 and it was a piece of crap, although the monitor with TV adapter lasted for ages.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OwlFancier posted:

The amiga was actually my first computer, remember playing paradroid 90 and james pond robocod on that, good fun.

Psygnosis still had the coolest logo of any software company since.

One of my proudest possessions is an employment contract with the Psygnosis logo at the top. I joined about a month before they were bought by Sony.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga didn't come on nine discs. It came on 11 discs!

THIS GUYS A NARC! GET THEM!

(But seriously pain was playing the original Monkey Island on Amiga without having formated a specific save game disc in advanced.
My brother and I tried to finish it all in one sitting. He stayed up until 3 AM trying to get all the ingredients into the cooking pot to get the ship to sail to Monkey Island before giving up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Starmer just had to be evacuated after a mob tried to swarm him shouting about Saville.

Seems its quite hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1490746579187294218

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
looool boris sicked the thumb-heads on keith over jimmy saville, real life is great comedy these days if nothing else