Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm concerned about how the experience of PC games on a handheld will be. Sure, a lot of developers might tweak the UI scaling.

But games will still have fundamentals that were never intended for a small screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

doingitwrong posted:

My growing belief is that the target market for the Steam Deck is people who like every part of the gaming hobby except actually playing games.
Getting it to play that google olympics webgame and that anime boat girl game only to find that neither work on linux

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I'm concerned about how the experience of PC games on a handheld will be. Sure, a lot of developers might tweak the UI scaling.

But games will still have fundamentals that were never intended for a small screen.

I haven’t run into too many issues tbh.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChocNitty posted:

Handheld PCs have been around for at least a decade op

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

Here we go finally. I can't play the Switch without the Hori Pad so this is great for me.

https://twitter.com/NevereverES/status/1489730693378752516?s=20&t=ZgFVtkTpco0DNCsCAFUPzw

Perfect size. Anyone who hasn't used a Hori pad should consider it. It makes the switch way more comfortable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I have the hori pads and they make the switch feel comically stupid. Maybe it’s because they don’t have rumble and therefore no weight so it feels cheaper.

Much better ergo though!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

IMaybe it’s because they don’t have rumble and therefore no weight so it feels cheaper.

Much better ergo though!

I think it’s this for me too. It just doesn’t feel as solid.

The pads are great just not for me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

doingitwrong posted:

My growing belief is that the target market for the Steam Deck is people who like every part of the gaming hobby except actually playing games.

Hell yeah. And ditto with hacking instead of gaming.

You should see how many Raspberry Pis that do awesome things that I don't remember exist once I've got them fully functional and stable.

Sometimes they bring down my internet.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I think any old Wario Ware has every fundamental

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to play Hot wheels Unleashed on the Steam Deck! Don't try to stop me, your efforts will be in vain!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Barreft posted:

Here we go finally. I can't play the Switch without the Hori Pad so this is great for me.

https://twitter.com/NevereverES/status/1489730693378752516?s=20&t=ZgFVtkTpco0DNCsCAFUPzw

Here is a more useful size reference:
https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1490700527440740355

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't possibly estimate the size until he adds a Taiko no Tatsujin contorller

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Reviews are coming:

https://youtu.be/_UB9XoPlJ0U

https://youtu.be/HjZ4POvk14c

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Linus has an unboxing video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UB9XoPlJ0U

efb

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Gamers Nexus has theirs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQH__XVa64

EDIT: Yo, this is super in-depth in hardware stuff. Thermals, noise testing, battery life, performance (in Valve's approved games prior to the final embargo) and input latency.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sigher posted:

Linus has an unboxing video out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UB9XoPlJ0U

efb
dude literally put his aya neo in his pocket at the mall, wtf, with half of it just sticking out

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

dude literally put his aya neo in his pocket at the mall, wtf, with half of it just sticking out

Gamers were a mistake

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxKd0nr6uYw

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Everything so far looks extremely promising.

I thought the press embargo wasn't lifted until launch?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any gaming benchmarks?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Rinkles posted:

Any gaming benchmarks?

Two posts above you he does forza benchmarks. Also small snippets of control and street fighter in the same video.

edit: I guess benchmark isn't the best term since it is fps capped. But in control it is 1.7x better than the gdp win I guess? Seems good, 71fps in control, even if its just the intro building where it will defnitely be higher, feels great to me.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 7, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaming Nexu’s video has tags at each segement of it so you can look and find the benchmarks (valve limited benchmarks to the 5 pre-loaded games). GN shows all 5.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

looks like steam's back on the menu boys!!!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Full embargo isn't lifted, they can't talk about the software side at all besides the specific 5 games Valve said here.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kwolok posted:

Everything so far looks extremely promising.

I thought the press embargo wasn't lifted until launch?

There are two embargoes, apparently. Today was the hardware embargo and the final embargo is later this month just before launch.

Apparently the software is coming in hot and still a bit rough, Valve's only allowing press to talk about like five games and they can't show the Deck's interface.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kwolok posted:

Two posts above you he does forza benchmarks. Also small snippets of control and street fighter in the same video.

edit: I guess benchmark isn't the best term since it is fps capped. But in control it is 1.7x better than the gdp win I guess? Seems good, 71fps in control, even if its just the intro building where it will defnitely be higher, feels great to me.

GN had it slightly above 30 (which isn't great)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

At medium, low might hit 60 more frequently. Those are good numbers for a 30fps cap though, the 0.1% lows don't even drop below 30.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah a lot of it depends on settings I'm sure. Control is a cool game and visually a feast, not sure if it is a good steam deck kinda game anyhow. You really should view it in a cinematic setting, and less on a tiny screen IMO. That being said I suspect control and a handful of other games will be difficult to run on the deck, its just not that powerful. 30 fps for it is surprising in and of itself.

Veotax posted:

There are two embargoes, apparently. Today was the hardware embargo and the final embargo is later this month just before launch.

Apparently the software is coming in hot and still a bit rough, Valve's only allowing press to talk about like five games and they can't show the Deck's interface.

Do you have a source on the "still a bit rough"?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kwolok posted:

It's Valve. It'll probably be a bit rough for like 6 months to a year after launch.

Kwolok posted:

Yeah a lot of it depends on settings I'm sure. Control is a cool game and visually a feast, not sure if it is a good steam deck kinda game anyhow. You really should view it in a cinematic setting, and less on a tiny screen IMO. That being said I suspect control and a handful of other games will be difficult to run on the deck, its just not that powerful. 30 fps for it is surprising in and of itself.
Control is a worst case scenario, translating DX11>Vulkan tends to have more overhead compared to DX12 in my experience and Control isn't exactly a light game, it barely runs on last generation consoles.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 7, 2022

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Kwolok posted:

Yeah a lot of it depends on settings I'm sure. Control is a cool game and visually a feast, not sure if it is a good steam deck kinda game anyhow. You really should view it in a cinematic setting, and less on a tiny screen IMO

I played through the whole thing on my phone over geforce now

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kwolok posted:

The videos that have been posted. The Gamers Nexus video says that the software is coming in hot and they understand why Valve doesn't want it shown off yet. Apparently DMC5 got stuck in a loading loop during their audio testing.

They're not saying that it's going to be a mess at launch, just that Valve has been pushing updates daily fixing stuff.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

control runs at like 20fps tops on the base Xbox one and ps4 on low, it is not a well optimized game at all

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Veotax posted:

The videos that have been posted. The Gamers Nexus video says that the software is coming in hot and they understand why Valve doesn't want it shown off yet. Apparently DMC5 got stuck in a loading loop during their audio testing.

They're not saying that it's going to be a mess at launch, just that Valve has been pushing updates daily fixing stuff.

Makes sense. Hopefully they actually give steamOS more love than they have given big picture mode (I know they are similar or maybe even branches). I love big picture mode for my computer hooked up to my tv, but it really is the red-headed step child of valve's development attention.

Though if my gut says anything its that the steam deck is gonna sell like hot cakes so hopefully they have more of a stake in steam os.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Veotax posted:

LTT also showed Forza having some kind of timing or frame pacing bug that makes the animations judder, despite that being one of the games Valve specifically allowed

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Which one of these videos tested switch emulation performance.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You're probably joking, but they were only allowed to show like 3 games. You can bet someone is going to show all the emulation when the embargo is up for everything.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

all the videos actually ran the games through a switch emulator

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

Which one of these videos tested switch emulation performance.
None of them

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

flavor.flv posted:

I played through the whole thing on my phone over geforce now

https://youtu.be/wKiIroiCvZ0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

LTT also showed Forza having some kind of timing or frame pacing bug that makes the animations judder, despite that being one of the games Valve specifically allowed

Apparently that's a bug that can also happen on Windows, so it's not Steam Deck/Proton specific.