Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you were lucky enough to be on peak 6 chair around 12:30 - 1:30 today, Partial Octopus and i were laying down a dueling snowboard carving clinic. Just lay it down trenching. One run i was just 10' behind laying deep figure 8 carves. Not sure if the people on the lift appreciated it but that one run was easily my favorite deep carve experience. I was just jacked! So much fun.

My sister and my 9 yo nephew were out for the weekend and really had a great time. Keystone on Friday, Beaver Creek on Saturday, and Breck today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Lol. I looked at traffic as i woke up at 7:00 it was so bad. Made breakfast and was at Breck by 8:30.

I was at Golden at 6am but the light snow hosed everything up. Still, decent day in Copper for the most part.

Does anyone in this thread have any suggestions for good glove liners? I bought a pair of smartwool merino liners in October and I already have holes in my fingertips after ~20 days of skiing. :confused:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

wow... went skiing for the first time this weekend, and getting off the lifts is so much nicer than snowboarding!!* seemed to learn the basics much quicker too.

*of course, an experienced snowboarder would not constantly fall down off the lifts as I did many years ago when I attempted to get into snowboarding. I had many issues that may have just been me...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I was at Golden at 6am but the light snow hosed everything up. Still, decent day in Copper for the most part.

Does anyone in this thread have any suggestions for good glove liners? I bought a pair of smartwool merino liners in October and I already have holes in my fingertips after ~20 days of skiing. :confused:

I am not a big fan of liners. I just wear warmer mittens.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

marjorie posted:

I have a snowboarding technique question that may be dumb or unclear, but I'm going to throw it out. So when you're in the middle of cutting across a trail (I guess in the middle of carving), should there be a lot of pressure on your quads right above your knees (I'm told this is the vastus medialis)? Or is that perhaps a sign that I'm not executing this well?

I've been trying to focus my workouts on my quads lately, but I'm in reasonable shape and still finding that one of the things that is tough about linking turns is that my legs just get destroyed quickly and I run out of steam. It feels like the entire time I'm going down the mountain, whatever I'm doing results in a lot of tension in my quads. I'm thinking maybe a technique correction would help this. But if it's normal, then I'll just keep at the exercises and getting board time (which I'll do anyway).

Toeside or heelside? The movements and balance is very different for each.

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm going from intuition and I haven't snowboarded in over 24 hours, but the muscles I use are on the back side of my legs mainly. Because you're basically squatting and fighting the mountain beneath you.

I'm feeling like the only way you'll get strain on the front of your legs is if you're fighting the bindings. Have you evaluated lately if they're set up right? Like, stand in your living room, jump up in the air, and come down crouching. That should usually be about where your feet are.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I am not a big fan of liners. I just wear warmer mittens.

Yes but I am a big baby?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

The best liners IMO are silk, but they’re not good for anything except being liners. You can’t wear them as standalone gloves like a fleece or wool liner glove. That said I did just get a pair of Hestra liners, I’ll let you know how they hold up.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I left before 6 am Jesus Christ.

We left Denver at 8:30. Sailed up. A++ would drive to Breck in 1:45 again.

spwrozek posted:

If you were lucky enough to be on peak 6 chair around 12:30 - 1:30 today, Partial Octopus and i were laying down a dueling snowboard carving clinic. Just lay it down trenching. One run i was just 10' behind laying deep figure 8 carves. Not sure if the people on the lift appreciated it but that one run was easily my favorite deep carve experience. I was just jacked! So much fun.

My sister and my 9 yo nephew were out for the weekend and really had a great time. Keystone on Friday, Beaver Creek on Saturday, and Breck today.

Ironically, we were actually on the chair then! First time back at Breck in 30+ years. The elder kid wanted to hike the peak but :effort: We checked out Horseshoe and Wonderland, and tried to guess at the price of the houses adjacent the gondola’s mid-way stop. Not bad not bad.

We got Otto’s on the way home on the recommendation of some guys on the lift. It was very good.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 7, 2022

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yes but I am a big baby?

Just get Hestras. 10000% worth it. Best gloves ever.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I have some synthetic rei liners but they developed holes pretty quick. I have some icebreaker wool liners and they developed holes even faster. Basically I would buy multiple pairs of the cheapest synthetic ones you can find.

Also we left Arvada 11:15ish cruised to WP with no traffic and parked at the snow. Approximately a dozen steps each way from car-skiing and vice versa. Got got by the return traffic though. Good skiing, seemed like maybe 5” of very light stuff on top of decently edgeable but firm old bumps.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Partial Octopus posted:

I have Hestra mittens: I just wear extra liners for super cold days.

waffle enthusiast posted:

We left Denver at 8:30. Sailed up. A++ would drive to Breck in 1:45 again.

Anachronist posted:

Also we left Arvada 11:15ish cruised to WP with no traffic and parked at the snow. Approximately a dozen steps each way from car-skiing and vice versa. Got got by the return traffic though. Good skiing, seemed like maybe 5” of very light stuff on top of decently edgeable but firm old bumps.

Maybe I should stop being such a gunner, chill, and plan on skiing late morning/afternoon.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I have Hestra mittens: I just wear extra liners for super cold days.

Maybe I should stop being such a gunner, chill, and plan on skiing late morning/afternoon.

Our original plan was to leave 5:30 am but too much touring and drinking occurred yesterday so the alarm got turned off, we slept in, and had waffles. It was nice.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'd say if you're wearing Hestras and you still have cold hands then you need to get your core warmer. My hands be sweatin even on like negative degree days with my hestra mits.

But yeah maybe better base layers or mid layers? I wear smartwool marino 250 on very cold days and it's so warm even with just a patagonia nano air as a mid layer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Partial Octopus posted:

I'd say if you're wearing Hestras and you still have cold hands then you need to get your core warmer. My hands be sweatin even on like negative degree days with my hestra mits.

But yeah maybe better base layers or mid layers? I wear smartwool marino 250 on very cold days and it's so warm even with just a patagonia nano air as a mid layer.

Hrm, maybe. I usually wear a Patagonia R1 fleece as a midlayer. For the base, I wear spandex/synthetic long sleeves from endurance sports.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Skiing on the bunny slopes with a 3 year old all day is just as tiring as regular skiing, turns out. However my little champ did amazingly today and had lots of fun :toot:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Partial Octopus posted:

qft

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Also, snow please.

Please.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hoodoo in Oregon has an incredibly scenic, chill, long green route that just winds around the mountain and has views like this the whole way. Between that and successful first toddler ski day, what a lovely day it was.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

ante posted:

Toeside or heelside? The movements and balance is very different for each.

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm going from intuition and I haven't snowboarded in over 24 hours, but the muscles I use are on the back side of my legs mainly. Because you're basically squatting and fighting the mountain beneath you.

I'm feeling like the only way you'll get strain on the front of your legs is if you're fighting the bindings. Have you evaluated lately if they're set up right? Like, stand in your living room, jump up in the air, and come down crouching. That should usually be about where your feet are.

This is a great idea, thanks! I'm pretty sure I just followed some basic guide for seeing them up, so I never really checked that.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Not riding is pain. 4 day work weeks need to become the norm.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

https://youtu.be/DgH9nvSpddM

lol I’m not sure exactly what equipment this is intended to work with but we’re on the bleeding edge here

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spwrozek posted:

You riding that Optimistic?

Edit: Let’s loving go Redmond!
Edit2: holy poo poo, Shawn Fitzsimmons, that name just clicked. He’s a Hood local who’s Dad ran the USASA Hood Series a few years ago.
Edit3: Su Yiming!

highme fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 7, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

I do like my Hestra's but I have to give the nod to the Free the Powder gloves I got my GF. They are just as good and half the price.

highme posted:

You riding that Optimistic?

Yeah. This is the first time I was really able to get in those primo groomer conditions and man is it lovely. It is also very good in powder. I am really surprised at how well it carves. Really recommend the board.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Also, snow please.

Please.

Yes needed across the state. The few inches this week are doing enough for it to stay OK but need some bigger storms.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Jack is in fourth at the mens dh

I used to race with him back when he was first year FIS. Great kid.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Glovechat: I have a pair of Level7 gaunetlets I stole from my brother like 15 years ago that are amazing - they have a detachable inner liner that's I like to be able to take out at the end of the day to dry out. I can for the life of me not ANY glove like that anywhere and would love to have a backup pair like them. Did they all go the same way as my old rear-entry ski boots from the 90s?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

luminalflux posted:

Glovechat: I have a pair of Level7 gaunetlets I stole from my brother like 15 years ago that are amazing - they have a detachable inner liner that's I like to be able to take out at the end of the day to dry out. I can for the life of me not ANY glove like that anywhere and would love to have a backup pair like them. Did they all go the same way as my old rear-entry ski boots from the 90s?

Is it just a detachable liner that you want? That's a common feature. Hestras have them as do the BD mitts I have.

asur fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 7, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

asur posted:

Is it just a detachable liner that you want? That's a common feature. Hestras have them as do the BD mitts I have.

Yeah, weirdly none of the Hestras i've seen in stores have had detachable liners

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oddly enough, I have a pair of dakine mittens that I bought a while ago that came with an internal "pipe glove" which was a 5 fingered, form fitting glove. It was kind of like a more insulated mechanix glove with grip on the palm. If it was warm, I would wear the pipe glove solo. If it was cooler I would wear just the mitten. If it was cold I would wear them together.

Now I've got several pairs of gloves. My favorite are the outdoor research storm tracker. If it gets any cooler, I've got their guide glove with leather palms and fingers but I'm not a big fan of overly puffy/bulky gloves.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Probably the last day I’ll get out this year and I’m preemptively sad

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Nice, chunky day at MRG; almost no lines compared to Friday.

Got myself hosed up on this same cliff twice. The first time another skiier was in the same spot, he took the "high" road, I went low and we both lost our skis and ended up laughing about it in a pile. This second time I did the same loving boneheaded thing but decided to try to slide along the top... nope, got to a point where I was just sliding down no matter what I did, had to pop my skis off and almost lost one in powder.

Ski it if you think, on some level, that maybe you can.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wear pipe gloves most of the time in aus. Hestras for the few really cold days. They're getting in a bit now and don't wax up very well so I might get a lighter leather glove.

Pow (the glove company, not the activism group) are pretty good if you need a mid weight leather option.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have had the same Burton liners for like 7 years. Still holding up

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

luminalflux posted:

Yeah, weirdly none of the Hestras i've seen in stores have had detachable liners

The Hestra Mittens I have really hold the liner in there. At first I didn't actually realize they had a separate liner.

So yes, I wear double liners on cold days. :colbert:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

luminalflux posted:

I would look again. The factory does a pretty good job of perfectly matching the Velcro. A friend had them for over a year and didn't realize it before I casually mentioned it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

The Hestra Mittens I have really hold the liner in there. At first I didn't actually realize they had a separate liner.

So yes, I wear double liners on cold days. :colbert:

Raynaud’s?

I just throw a pair of hand warmers in my mittens. Helps quite a bit since my hands generate approximately zero warmth by themselves.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Continued shout-out to whoever recommended Mountain Chill a few years ago. It's been keeping me sane with chill vibes and I get to pretend I give a poo poo about avy conditions somewhere.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
glove chat: hestra helis (gauntlet) representing, spendy but worth it, I own two pairs and am buying my gf a pair of the mittens don't know why you'd want mittens for skiing but it's her choice!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nah, just a poor tolerance for cold hands.

SeaborneClink posted:

glove chat: hestra helis (gauntlet) representing, spendy but worth it, I own two pairs and am buying my gf a pair of the mittens don't know why you'd want mittens for skiing but it's her choice!

Mittens are theoretically better for keeping your hands warm. :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/skD5gNbNwOlKBZxe5FpakFLfdFxf01bKn-Jkfum1RYQ/https/i.imgur.com/SzbgaGQ.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got glove liners for the first time last year and I don't know what I've been doing in life up until now. Over those I alternate between a pair of EMS mittens (circa 1999) and North Face fingered gloves (~2013), depending how cold it is. I don't know why I bother with the gloves, I never do anything useful with my fingers anyway, even stuff like trying to dig snow out of a boot seam usually needs more resolution than you get with a stubby gloved digit.