Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

i realized after looking for an image to post on this thread that i only actually watched the first episode of flipflappers, so im watching the rest now!
the art owns and the vibe kinda reminds me of wegg, hoping it won't be as disappointing as that

flip flappers does not fall off in anything near the same way. it's mostly just a weird yuri magical girl anime, its surreal sci-fi stuff is all built and established in the first episode and it doesn't try to pull out any kind of nonsensical social commentary from it. it did have its own writer troubles but mostly just cause the writer had to bow out midway through so the rest of the show is the staff kinda just working with whatever outline she gave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

A quick question for you all: I remember hearing something of a Japanese (anime? manga?) author with a staunch distrust of authority and adults in particular after his being forced to work in a munitions factory as a child during WWII.

Who was this? Google isn't helping.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Flip Flappers is very good but I feel at this point only the amazing ED is what I remember about it. But god what an ED it was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

A quick question for you all: I remember hearing something of a Japanese (anime? manga?) author with a staunch distrust of authority and adults in particular after his being forced to work in a munitions factory as a child during WWII.

are you thinking of tezuka? he did work at an army arsenal during wwii,, though i will say he seemed to develop more of a respect for life from it than a distrust of authority/adults

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nate RFB posted:

Flip Flappers is very good but I feel at this point only the amazing ED is what I remember about it. But god what an ED it was.

Hot take: the OP and most of the OST are better than the FliFla ED, especially Trading Places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5pZnItckI

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Father Wendigo posted:

I don't think he did any anime, but I think you might be thinking of Kinji Fukasaku because he did work in a munitions factory during the war, which is why he worked on Battle Royale.

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 7, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways up next is idk. I'm gonna go through my list looking for the intersection of "one cour" and "has a prominent male character" cause I'm feeling a bit magical girled out. (Not that I'm deleting the all-girls recs from my list; they'll still be there when I'm in a different mood)

I think literally the only thing that meets both criteria is SSSS.Gridman, though even that has a sequel second cour

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways up next is idk. I'm gonna go through my list looking for the intersection of "one cour" and "has a prominent male character" cause I'm feeling a bit magical girled out. (Not that I'm deleting the all-girls recs from my list; they'll still be there when I'm in a different mood)

I think literally the only thing that meets both criteria is SSSS.Gridman, though even that has a sequel second cour

Sarazanmai

Planet With

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

If it helps I think gridman feels very complete and you could honestly watch dynazenon as its own thing without missing a whole lot.

I would rec both but they both stand on their own merits just fine imo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

gridman is one-cour, technically.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I probably will just watch gridman and then decide later whether to go straight into season two or not, if it has a conclusive ending all on its own

Sarazanmai caught my interest from the blurb though so it's on the list

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i watched dynazenon first and then gridman, which was an interesting experience, since some dynazenon reveals end up meaning nothing but being a cool shot, while stuff that would be a mild 'huh' in gridman on its own turns into a twist

we're probably gonna watch Cyber Agent just to see

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm super bad at thinking of any examples myself. Just looking at My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!/Bakarina as an example does anyone have any manga come to mind where they stop and think 'Hey wait. Does everyone have a crush on me now?'

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gridman is a complete story, dynazenon is more a spinoff with a new cast than a season 2.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sad lol

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyways up next is idk. I'm gonna go through my list looking for the intersection of "one cour" and "has a prominent male character" cause I'm feeling a bit magical girled out.

Off the top of my head I enjoyed the drama / gay romance / music series Given from a couple years ago, which is only 11 episodes.

Ninja edit: Oh poo poo, Yuri on Ice is a really fun short series as well.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm watching Cardcaptor Sakura. It's not bad I guess.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
keeping a spreadsheet because you all are too efficient at recommending things

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
here's a manga recommendation: read bokurano

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Willo567 posted:

here's a manga recommendation: read bokurano

The manga??? There's a manga??

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

gay for gacha posted:

The manga??? There's a manga??

Yeah, the anime is an adaptation of the manga. They also made changes to the ending to make it slightly less depressing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah dynazenon is definitively not a season 2. only two side characters from gridman show up in it and the themes are entirely different.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i checked my list of anime i want to watch someday and all it did was remind me that i had hope at some point that aku no hana season 2 was still definitely going to happen

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if anyone wants to watch, comet. i dont need to ask if anyone wants to watch di gi charat, because everyone likes di gi charat

homeless snail posted:

Tonight @ 8pm eastern, picking up I'm pretty sure where Fangz left off, Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-san, a low key start to what is probably going to be a long term Dejiko stream with me streaming Di Gi Charat for like the 3rd time in 5 years (but this time we'll eventually get to the mediocre Di Gi Charat sequels), and then more Texhnolyze
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchanime

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

not enough mid 2000s anime on this list tbh

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

interest level: endorph

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tabletops posted:

not enough mid 2000s anime on this list tbh

that's cause I was watching anime live and saw many of the shows in that period back in the day

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you leave an open suggestion box and people love to fill it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

u should watch gundam

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

interest level: endorph

that's short for "the blurb on wikipedia didn't really interest me but endorph said it was a masterpiece and she's been spot on so far"

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 8, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I have just one question. where's shirobako

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

irrelevant

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
shirobako is pretty meandering for 22 episodes until its big emotional payoff moment in episode 23, but to be fair it's a very good payoff

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DO NOT watch Tokyo Ghoul. It is so, so, SOOOOO bad and not in a funny way or a so-bad-it's-good way. It's just plain godawful.

Toonami ran the first 20 episodes of Tokyo Ghoul some years back. The first few were tolerable, not particularly good but they gave you an impression that maybe the show might get better later on. At about episode 8 or 9 everything goes completely off the rails, and at that point any and all hope of a better show is gone forever. The first 10 episodes end in a way that makes no sense whatsoever, and the last 10 are so stupid and uninteresting that they're practically unwatchable.

If for some insane reason you do decide to watch any of it, take my advice and watch only the first 8 to 10 episodes, stop there, and then read the Wikipedia page on it to find out just how mind-bendingly hosed it gets from there. Trust me, this is the best possible way to consume Tokyo Ghoul.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
but when has stux ever steered anyone wrong

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a reason the recommendation is labeled stux and I'm also studiously ignoring the actually good show he recommended me

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Princess Tutu

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm probably denying myself a good time by not putting eizouken on my list but it's very funny watching stux get annoyed at it in discord and it's not like my list is empty without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Captain Baal posted:

Princess Tutu

Saw it years ago, loved it, good rec