Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good cold brown? Looking for something kinda chocolate-ish with a blue tone, and I've been burned too many times to trust online paint swatches. Normally I'd just mix it myself but I'm going to be using it off and on pretty regularly so I want to make sure I have some consistency.
This doesn't really exist. The blue gets killed in the brown, so you get something that has a violet tone. If you mix in more blue, you'll get something that isn't really brown at all, but more of a desaturated blue.
Scale75 Black Leather is a dark cold brown, with a violet tone. If you're planning to use it for even colder shadows, I'd go for their Anthartic Grey, or another Payne's Grey-ish color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Apologies for crappy, murky pics/lack of painting acumen, but even though this guy isn't finished, I'm very much enjoying how he's coming together for my first model painted in about fifteen years.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

For spraying I like to use a bit of wood with double sided tape to hold the miniatures on. You have to replace the tape after each use but it's never failed me. I call it my sticky stick.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I applaud the bravery of anyone who hasn’t painted anything in 15 years and thinks “why not do something mostly in white?” Nice job dude

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

jesus WEP posted:

I applaud the bravery of anyone who hasn’t painted anything in 15 years and thinks “why not do something mostly in white?” Nice job dude

Thanks, ironically, the purple was the hardest bit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Geburan posted:

I'm considering taking up mini painting, probably for smaller skirmish level games like Frostgrave and Gaslands. A number of links of the front page don't work anymore though. Any other resources you'd recommend for getting started?

How beginner are we talking about?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Geburan posted:

I'm considering taking up mini painting, probably for smaller skirmish level games like Frostgrave and Gaslands. A number of links of the front page don't work anymore though. Any other resources you'd recommend for getting started?

Vince Venturella has a series called "Hobby Cheating" that is something like 300 videos. It has just about any information you might need. He even did a getting started video two days ago and links to all his other basic level videos in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXctnwW8Vt0

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

For anyone that has used one of the GW painting.... wands, I guess, how did the rubber bands hold up? I felt like constantly spraying them with caustic spray paint would cause the rubber to perish pretty quickly.

GW doesn't seem to expect them to last long, the wand came with like 10x the rubber bands you would need to use at once

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Geburan posted:

Warhammer's Tip of the Day videos are great for when you want help with something specific, i.e. black hair, leather, orc skin and so on. Just don't take their paint and gear recommendations as gospel, there's a lot of options out there.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Eej posted:

How beginner are we talking about?

I’ve been a board gamer quite a while, so I’ve been in the presence of painted minis in game stores. Does that count?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geburan posted:

Searching on youtube for beginner videos is surprisingly useful, as a lot of techniques are kinda hard to explain well in writing compared to showing them in action. Something like Frostgrave is a great starting point as it means you can get a playable faction pretty quickly. Also, you can switch and paint up new gangs to try out new techniques, new colours etc., compared to a big army game where you might feel locked in to a huge year-spanning project.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Geburan posted:

I’ve been a board gamer quite a while, so I’ve been in the presence of painted minis in game stores. Does that count?

But never wielded a brush in anger? I'd say that still counts as pretty beginner, yeah!

Its a fun hobby, welcome. Honestly I'd search "miniature painting beginner" or "miniature painting getting started" on youtube, and click around til you find someone whose voice you like. Theres a million hobby youtubers, they are almost all varying levels of fine to good, and the beginner advice you get it going to be fairly similar, so its really about finding someone who doesnt annoy you with their presentation of that advice. Vince Venturella is good, and he actually made a new "Basics of miniature painting" video this week, as Winklebottom mentions up above. He's fairly down to earth in his advice, and doesnt feel the need to do a character, perform a skit or have a catchphrase. If I have a criticism of the video it would be simply that its extremely dense, theres a lot of stuff in there and it might seem overwhelming, but thats because hes trying to at least mention a lot of different things he commonly gets asked about.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Also you can watch all the painting videos in the world but the best thing you can do is Just Paint™.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Finished up the exciting part of Grimaldus the other day. That banner was a bitch, but I tried a bunch of different things with it, and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Also knocked this guy out a couple of weeks ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Finished up the exciting part of Grimaldus the other day. That banner was a bitch, but I tried a bunch of different things with it, and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

I love the unhealthy skin on the banner guy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

Also you can watch all the painting videos in the world but the best thing you can do is Just Paint™.

I painted for 3-4 years in high school and my minis barely improved because I had no idea about right methods.

Now I've been back for coming up on 2 years and being able to see how to use a wet pallette, different paint consistencies for different tasks (glazing, edge highlighting as some examples), techniques like en grisille, oil washes, OSL, NMM, gradients. All things I've watched videos on off the top of my head.

I probably paint 10-15 hours for every one hour of YouTube tutorial watching. I don't know what the most effective ratio would be, but having teachers to learn from seems immensely helpful to me.

edit: I realize you didn't say, "don't watch any videos" but really I'm just in a posting mood!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a quick wet palate question. I got the Hydro paper and other component from army painter, but I forgot to get the lid and container (I got a refill packet by mistake). I’m not really needing to preserve paint, just keep it from drying out. So can I use any random Tupperware? Also do people generally try and save their paint.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Also knocked this guy out a couple of weeks ago.

poo poo dude, once he comes to he's gonna be real mad.

(Looks great)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I have a quick wet palate question. I got the Hydro paper and other component from army painter, but I forgot to get the lid and container (I got a refill packet by mistake). I’m not really needing to preserve paint, just keep it from drying out. So can I use any random Tupperware? Also do people generally try and save their paint.

you can definitely use any random tupperware, thats how I started with.

And unless you're mixing specific colors together and trying to be consistent: nah it's usually not worth it to save paint for most jobs.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

My collection of Iron Warriors is mostly done, I've got the following steps left:
  1. Oil wash everything
  2. Pigment dusting
  3. Weapon/lens osl
Some dudes for example:

I'm torn between just panel lining everything or actually throwing oil all over everything and wiping away with makeup sponges.

My real question though is what color oil wash would be best for the marines given the silver and yellow?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove posted:

you can definitely use any random tupperware, thats how I started with.

And unless you're mixing specific colors together and trying to be consistent: nah it's usually not worth it to save paint for most jobs.

Ah excellent. I prefer to just toss it at the end of a session, since leaving it around…probably not the best idea with younger child. Well I’m sure he’d enjoy it; I just won’t enjoy cleaning it up. I have a huge advantage with only having a five minute walk to my LGS, so if I need paint, and it’s not just generally out of stock everywhere, they should have it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I still use a tupperware container (one of the ones with locking wings on the lid), a sponge cloth and some baking paper, so yeah, any tupperware will do. A wet palette will do a bang up job of keeping your paint wet during a painting session, or if you want to take a break and get some lunch or something but beyond that... probably not so much. I've had a few times where I've come back to painting the next day and some paint on it is still usable, but thats really just a fluke of humidity than anything you could deliberately replicate. Sometimes this isnt massively clear from the youtube videos telling you how much you definitely need them and/or how to make one.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I use a red grass games giganto one which I love, but I’m really looking forward to one with maybe a heavier base that doesn’t flex up as much if it dries out. Miniac is supposedly working on one that fixes the red grass games issues, and also includes a little bit of copper to kill the bacteria.

Wet palletes are great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ah excellent. I prefer to just toss it at the end of a session, since leaving it around…probably not the best idea with younger child. Well I’m sure he’d enjoy it; I just won’t enjoy cleaning it up. I have a huge advantage with only having a five minute walk to my LGS, so if I need paint, and it’s not just generally out of stock everywhere, they should have it.

the little bottles seem like not a whole lot of paint, but I did almost a whole army of space marines with the same vallejo dropper bottle for the main color for their armor. (on space marines that's about 90% of each model). So don't worry about being a little bit wasteful. I get that the paint is expensive but a little bit goes a long way.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Geburan posted:

Reaper makes a very good kit for learning the basics. It's a pretty good value for the money, and the included booklet goes over everything you need to get started, including basic brush care. It's what was recommended to me when I got started and I highly recommend it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I must complement Citadel color on their ability to be safely removed after a five year old plays with paint when you turn your head.

Can anyone recommend a decent tacklebox thing to keep my paint in, but secure so it won’t shift all around? Wife wants me to order one tonight. lol

Edit: My wife recommended this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZVWPLY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_i_AM2X533WKK41GAX50SAM

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2022

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve decided to try my hand at painting, never picked up a brush before in my life.

I got a box of skaven clantrats and sone paints. The models come with detached weapons, and the arm pieces have little balls and the bodies have sockets. Am I just supposed to glue these things together?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cut the pieces out
If you're confident you can scrape off mold lines with the back of your exacto knife
Glue them together
Spray primer over it (it's a foundation of paint that lets your brushed paint have something to cling to and not slide all over bare plastic)
Put paint on* ** *** ****

*Don't paint straight from the bottle, it comes out too thick and you'll have a chunky model, try to have a palette that you put some paint in and then mix in some water so it's thinner, multiple thin coats preserves the details on the model better and you can always add more paint but you can't just remove a little bit of acrylic paint

**Make sure to have a container of water you wash your brush in, anything from a mug (cue funny stories about drinking your paint water here) to an old yogurt container etc. Get into the habit of cleaning your brush when you're not doing anything with it right away, when paint dries in the brush that's how you can permanently damage the bristles

***Paper towel is your friend, use it to wipe off excess water when rinsing your brush between colours and often it's a good idea to dab the paper towel after you grab some colour with your brush because there will usually be a droplet of paint hanging from your brush that will just blob onto your model if you don't

****Remember to have fun! Acrylic paints dry super fast but are otherwise very forgiving. It's just paint on plastic if you don't like what you ended up with you can always dunk it in simple green/whatever recommended cleaner for your country is and start all over again

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I must complement set an all color on their ability to be safely removed after a five year old plays with paint when you turn your head.

Can anyone recommend a decent tacklebox thing to keep my paint in, but secure so it won’t shift all around? Wife wants me to order one tonight. lol

Edit: My wife recommended this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZVWPLY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_i_AM2X533WKK41GAX50SAM

https://www.amazon.com/Canboc-Bottl...ps%2C105&sr=8-6

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Other ultra girly tools you should man up and get because they're super useful:

Makeup brushes for dry brushing.
https://www.amazon.com/Cinidy-Makeu...ps%2C96&sr=8-18

Eye makeup sponges for either sponging paint on, or cleaning up oil washes.
https://www.amazon.com/Cuttte-Dispo...aps%2C88&sr=8-2

Nail polish holder to make sure that nuln oil doesn't go all over your desk
https://www.amazon.com/Polish-Holde...ps%2C88&sr=8-14

Nail polish rack to hold your paints (note this is the first one I found on amazon, no idea if it's sized to hold paint pots, but you get the idea.)
https://www.amazon.com/KINGROW-Orga...aps%2C88&sr=8-7

Bonus:
this actually looks really cute to pack up all my stuff when I go to my LGS for hobby night
https://www.amazon.com/Famard-Organ...ps%2C88&sr=8-13

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Vince Venturella has a series called "Hobby Cheating" that is something like 300 videos. It has just about any information you might need. He even did a getting started video two days ago and links to all his other basic level videos in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXctnwW8Vt0

Found this video to be helpful as someone also just getting into this hobby.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Eej posted:

**Make sure to have a container of water you wash your brush in, anything from a mug (cue funny stories about drinking your paint water here) to an old yogurt container etc.

What do I do with all this yogurt that was in the container?

Great post and advice though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I have a small flower pot I use for paint water so I'd never drink out of it, but someday I will clean my brushes in the coffee

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you for that and all the other suggestions!

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 8, 2022

maikzor
Feb 26, 2011
For slightly more advanced painting tutorials I have to recommend Ben Komets/Painting Buddha

No single youtuber improved my painting as much as he did, also he is the most chill

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

StashAugustine posted:

I have a small flower pot I use for paint water so I'd never drink out of it, but someday I will clean my brushes in the coffee

lol, just lol, if you've never cleaned your brushes by mistake in your drinking cup

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

lilljonas posted:

lol, just lol, if you've never cleaned your brushes by mistake in your drinking cup

Oh god, this. I now religiously keep the brush water on the right and the drinking water on the left. Too many mistakes.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Eej posted:

Cut the pieces out

Obviously this is the start, but just be careful how much you cut in one go. I got reminded of this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/sn1ruk/50_necrons_awaiting_assembly/

The guy cut out the pieces for about 50 monopose necron warriors to batch build them.

Every warrior has a similar, but subtly different fit between their gun arm and torso piece, that are matched to numbers in the instruction sheet and on the sprue, which are now removed. Meaning he just created a very expensive and very frustrating jigsaw puzzle for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’ve decided to try my hand at painting, never picked up a brush before in my life.

I got a box of skaven clantrats and sone paints. The models come with detached weapons, and the arm pieces have little balls and the bodies have sockets. Am I just supposed to glue these things together?

You're gonna want some clippers/side cutters to get them off the sprue, a craft knife and afile or similar for cleaning up mold lines and the bit where it was connected to the sprue(a pack of emery boards actually works really well) and some plastic glue/poly cement assuming they are plastic (superglue for anything else) and yes, glue them together. Unless you absolutely drown them in the poly cement (which melts the surface of the plastic effectively welding them together) you cant really gently caress them up, absolute worst case scenario you have cut some bits back off and fill in some gaps, and even then at least you'll have unique looking clanrats.

When it comes to the brush, the hairy bit goes in the paint, the bit without the hair on it is the bit you hold. Thats the main thing to remember.