Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HaleBop UmmBop UmmHaleBop Doo doo doo HaleBop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Mayan Calendar one can be traced back to Terrance McKenna who said he was told about the prophecy by 4th dimensional elves during a harmless megadose of DMT.

Same thing Edgar Cayce who claimed to be astral projecting when he came up with the vast majority of what we associate with Atlantis in pop-culture, like their advanced technology. Which just so happened to coincide with stories of the Lemurians (the inhabitants of "Mu," a "lost continent" which is typically used as an alternative name for Atlantis) which were popular in Amazing stories at the same time.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Author Richard Sharpe Shaver basically invented a lot of modern hollow earth mythology with letters and stories in pulp magazines, including ancient languages, and a lot of that he just stole from earlier stuff and reworked. Later in life he did weird stuff with rocks containing secret ancient messages.

Most of his wiki entry is just about that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sharpe_Shaver

A lot of scifi pulps also get way into dianetics which is pretty gross in hindsight as you read through them

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Also more Smurf movies! Probably based on the current cartoon series which is also getting more seasons

quote:

Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animation are teaming with LAFIG Belgium and IMPS to produce multiple movies based on The Smurfs franchise.

The first project from the new partnership banner is an animated musical film to start production this year ahead of a Dec. 20, 2024 release. Pam Brady (South Park, Team America) will write the first movie with other creative roles, including the director, still to be announced.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/smurfs-movies-paramount-nickelodeon-1235088093/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Or just check out my OP of the wonderful conspiracy and cryptid thread!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

He uses conspiracy theories in his movies but he never really engages with them. Like people who believe in the thing that turns out to be correct are usually portrayed as complete kooks. Like Moonfall has a side character who thinks that the Moon is full of plants and everybody makes fun of him. Turns out he was right but the movie still makes fun of him after the reveal.

I think the problem with that, is that scientists in his movies are often pretty indistinguishable from the conspiracy theorists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a fair amount of contention about that, Hale-Bopp being important was probably an idea that was circulating in the group well before 1996.

Mostly unrelated but I knew a guy who had belonged to that cult back in the 80s, my friend's dad rescued him from them. When I knew this guy in the early 2000s he was still bitter that he didn't get to ascend with the rest of them.

An interesting thing about Heaven's Gate was how they originally had this whole belief system about aliens coming down to Earth and physically taking them to Heaven. But then one of the cofounders died of cancer and to continue they had to adapt their beliefs in order to accommodate that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a fair amount of contention about that, Hale-Bopp being important was probably an idea that was circulating in the group well before 1996.

Mostly unrelated but I knew a guy who had belonged to that cult back in the 80s, my friend's dad rescued him from them. When I knew this guy in the early 2000s he was still bitter that he didn't get to ascend with the rest of them.
I wonder if that's this one guy from the HBO Heaven's Gate documentary

He clearly seems like a true believer and he regrets not still being in the cult at the point where they all killed themselves, which is sad to say the least

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meanwhile, Village Roadshow pictures, which co-funded The Matrix Resurrections, is suing Warner Bros and accusing them of intentionally hurting the film's box office by putting it on HBO Max on the same day as theater release

https://www.ign.com/articles/warner-bros-sued-matrix-resurrections-village-roadshow

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

is rush hour 3 worth watching at all

I started a few minutes and just lost interest

In the first few minutes, they get fingered by Roman Polanski and pull a gun on a cab driver for no reason and make him scream in fear. These are both jokes. in the Film. Not jokes that I'm making.

They put a bit in a the trailer where Chris Tucker lies to a bunch of women to get them to undress. I have no reason to think those first few minutes are as bad as it gets.

Casimir Radon posted:

I checked Chris Tucker’s filmography recently. Rush Hour and its couple sequels are the only things he’s really done since 1998. Oh and he’s in super debt, and apparently an Epstein buddy.

Rush Hour 3 was held up for a decent amount of time because Tucker was holding out for 25 million. It's crazy to think that not only was there a point where he thought he was worth that but that the studio agreed.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if that's this one guy from the HBO Heaven's Gate documentary

He clearly seems like a true believer and he regrets not still being in the cult at the point where they all killed themselves, which is sad to say the least

I checked it on IMDB and I don't see him listed, so unless he appeared under a pseudonym probably not.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I used to play the modern x com games with coast to coast in the background, I hope they haven't just pivoted to q or covid denial now

I may be misrecalling but after the rush hour movies were done Jackie chan confessed he had only half an idea what Chris tucker was saying the whole time

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

In the first few minutes, they get fingered by Roman Polanski

they get what

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I may be misrecalling but after the rush hour movies were done Jackie chan confessed he had only half an idea what Chris tucker was saying the whole time

So he did not, in fact, understand the words that were coming out of his mouth.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1490853384961724419

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If they're going to do it anyway that's a pretty good choice. Neeson is too good an actor to spend the rest of his career in sad dad gets revenge movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He has another one of those coming out soon too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If they're going to do it anyway that's a pretty good choice. Neeson is too good an actor to spend the rest of his career in sad dad gets revenge movies.

Yeah but Seth McFarland comedies are dire

Like the only successful thing he’s done since Family guy was the Star Trek rip off

In fact Liam was in one of those dire comedies

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't think I know anybody who watched Ted or the sequel but I somehow know people who buy those bears

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Roman Polanski plays a dickhead airport cop who performs a cavity search on both of them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm picturing Liam Neeson saying, "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley." and I'm not sure what to think about that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
He's a great straight man and that's what the role needs.

https://youtu.be/huJ81Mq2y34

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Roman Polanski plays a dickhead airport cop who performs a cavity search on both of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzAi_Eon9WM
Jesus Christ it’s real. Letting him be in anything is bad enough, but implying sexual assault too…..

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like the only successful thing he’s done since Family guy was the Star Trek rip off

Well maybe Seth will play Nordbert and spend the entire movie being savagely beaten.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, I thought that was just poor phrasing on your part for something else. But no, of course that's literally what happens :barf:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought the twenty of so episodes of American Dad that I watched early in the show's run were funny, too. Caveat that I probably haven't watched that show in eight or ten years, and as I understand it it's one of those sitcoms that kept going on for forty-seven plus seasons and probably got terrible, but the one where they riffed on Vietnam vet movies and nerdy war reenactments was funny. Also the running bit where the alien's poo poo was a magical mcguffin that makes people kill each other.

So I think Seth McFarland did a good job with some of American Dad and his Star Trek rip off. Though...if you go back and re-watch the early Family Guy episodes that people made a big deal over they really don't hold up.

Oh. I also found the episode of Inside the Actor's Studio with Seth McFarland entertaining. That's my faint praise for the guy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Seth could work for Naked Gun since that tends to rely more on slapstick and puns and less on gross out humor, and I think he can do slapstick pretty well.

Neeson is the perfect choice for it, too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ted 2 was absolutely miserable but Liam Neeson's cameo in the movie got a couple chuckles out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL7IoRjVHJQ

Blastedhellscape posted:

I thought the twenty of so episodes of American Dad that I watched early in the show's run were funny, too. Caveat that I probably haven't watched that show in eight or ten years, and as I understand it it's one of those sitcoms that kept going on for forty-seven plus seasons and probably got terrible, but the one where they riffed on Vietnam vet movies and nerdy war reenactments was funny. Also the running bit where the alien's poo poo was a magical mcguffin that makes people kill each other.

American Dad has actually gotten mostly better over time! Also they finally did the big ending to the alien's poo poo plotline last year for the 300th episode which is something I didn't expect to ever happen.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

muscles like this! posted:

He has another one of those coming out soon too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4K9Rzy2_DA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Orville is really good... i think it could be fine

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the first Ted but mainly because I'm a big fan of the Flash Gordon movie. Haven't seen it since it was in theaters though and wasn't really interested in the sequel.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is worded vaguely enough to be referring to either of theirs careers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember reading at some point that Emmerich is a fan of Graham Hancock. His stuff is all over Stargate (not the aliens as such but James Spader's claims about the age of the sphinx/pyramids are straight from Hancock), 10,000 BC, and 2012.

Also worth mentioning: The Day After Tomorrow is an adaptation of a book written by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber.

I'm not sure if this connects to Moonfall at all, but David Icke for a while was big on promoting the "Moon is a hologram" conspiracy theory.

I read the wiki about the production and original book and lol

quote:

Bell and Strieber contend that such destabilizations have occurred before, and cite seemingly impossible engineering feats by ancient civilizations which must have been catastrophically destroyed since they don't appear in the historical record. Among their examples is the archaeological ruins of Nan Madol, which the book claims were built with exacting tolerances and extremely heavy basalt materials, necessitating a high degree of technical competency. Since no such society exists in the modern record, or even in legend, the society must have been destroyed by dramatic means.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Conspiracies do make for good stories. But then again, in retrospect 90% of conspiracy theories are literally just science fiction plots.

Yeah as a fan of Knowledge Fight podcast it's clear that Alex Jones biggest wish is to be the guy who voices over trailers for Roland Emmeeich disaster movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is worded vaguely enough to be referring to either of theirs careers.

That's what I thought it was saying at first, like just some standard puff piece about how "Seth is going some politically incorrect places'"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's what I thought it was saying at first, like just some standard puff piece about how "Seth is going some politically incorrect places'"

I was leaning more towards an old fashioned "it sucks so bad he disappears forever" but we all know McFarlane would never let himself do that.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snowman_McK posted:

One rapist (Brett Ratner) doing a favor for another (Roman Polanski).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't think a Naked Gun remake should be made, but if it is going to happen, Liam Neeson as Frank Drebin is 100% absolutely a better choice than when it was going to be Ed Helms as Frank Drebin Jr.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Hopefully it will lead to Neeson carrying around a fart machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I have zero trust in Seth McFarlane to make a competent movie but Liam Neeson is perfect casting IMHO.