Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Over the weekend we watched Anatomy of a Murder fr the Columbia Classics Volume 2 box.

What a great movie. I do have to say that even in 2022 it feels very subversive, and I can't imagine how hard it was to get that script past the censors back then. I also now know where the chicken lawyer in Futurama comes from.

It looks fantastic, and I'm now thinking that UHD is the ultimate format black and white films.

Unfortunately, the box set itself is starting to fall apart.

Yea I think that's probably the best black and white UHD I've seen so far, not that I've seen too many of them. But there's a tremendous amount of texture added to a black and white film because of all the various shades and gradations of those colors that a UHD can handle.

Re: the box set, the way I'm handling it is actually taking out the individual films and shelving them with the rest of my collection. They actually set you up perfectly to do this because each film has it's own slip case and everything as if it were an individual release. I then put the big box on my shelf with my other large box sets so that it's on display but I don't actually have to open it up very often, which is what leads to it gradually falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Goddamn Discotek is doing God's work

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1490762497736929280?t=cPCOgjgzK-lXhD5elER90g&s=19

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1490762766000349185?t=rFHh6FT_YCaEaK6inrMvKA&s=19

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That Cats Eye show has a very solid elevator pitch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

That Cats Eye show has a very solid elevator pitch.

Yeah I've heard tons of good things about it, but it's one of those series that's big in Japan but for whatever reason never managed to catch on in American anime circles. I'm definitely gonna pick it up when it comes out.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Splint Chesthair posted:

Most Italian movies are weird about dialogue because for a long time they filmed without sound and dubbed everything in later. A lot of Italian movies with international stars would have everyone reading their lines in their native languages as a result.

I have not seen Suspiria with the Italian language track, but it’s entirely possible that Udo Kier was dubbed by someone else in that one as well.

Right on, that makes sense. But they wouldn't cheap out on say having the star Franco Nero not on the Italian track or Lee Van Cleef not on the English track or something? Or would that depend on who distributed it in English? I think I've heard something about actors not dubbing themselves for some reason in some films.

(For example, wikipedia says this guy Ferruccio Amendola usually dubbed Tomas Milian's lines. The article also says in some roles he "spoke in his real voice", pretty confusing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomas_Milian)

And nice to see some Lupin, CIty Hunter, and Cat's Eye (still haven't watched that), very cool. Episode 0 is some great Lupin, in general those yearly specials were on fire around the late 90s / early 2000s.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 7, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I accidentally left the remote for my region free player at my mom’s house. It’s 3 hours away and I don’t plan on going back for at least a few weeks. Anyone have a suggestion on a universal remote?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, that makes sense. But they wouldn't cheap out on say having the star Franco Nero not on the Italian track or Lee Van Cleef not on the English track or something? Or would that depend on who distributed it in English? I think I've heard something about actors not dubbing themselves for some reason in some films.

(For example, wikipedia says this guy Ferruccio Amendola usually dubbed Tomas Milian's lines. The article also says in some roles he "spoke in his real voice", pretty confusing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomas_Milian)

I’m absolutely no expert on Italian cinema, but I would imagine it has a lot to do with whoever was willing/available to dub whenever post-production was going on. Certain guys like Van Cleef did a fair share of movies over there, so there’s a better chance that he would be on the English track.

It’s an interesting subject and I’d like to learn more about how it worked back then, now that I’m thinking about it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Movies pitched as being in English were able to sell better, so even though guys didn't speak much English at the time, depending on the movie, they'd be mimicking English during the shoot by phonetically mouthing the dialogue so a dub could be added later to match the lips. You have some shot "for Italian", but in a majority of cases like TGTBATU, The Big Gundown, etc, you have the leads speaking English, others mimicking English, and bit players speaking Italian, so the lips won't always match no matter what. And for TBG, which was shot "for English", parts of the English audio are missing for the uncut version, so the only available audio for that cut is Italian (why they didn't do a hybrid thing like the extended cut of Deep Red, I have no clue). It's weird not hearing Van Cleef's voice in the Italian version, but apparently it isn't Thomas Milian's voice in that version either, but rather a good soundalike, lol.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Casimir Radon posted:

I accidentally left the remote for my region free player at my mom’s house. It’s 3 hours away and I don’t plan on going back for at least a few weeks. Anyone have a suggestion on a universal remote?

Logitech Harmony was the best (to the point where I think most of the competitors gave up) but Logitech said they’re discontinuing the entire line because they’re jerks. I think they still sell them for now.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'd say either get a cheapo throw away remote from Five Below or the $50 Harmony knockoff on Amazon and use it for other stuff when you get your real remote back.

Edit or if you have a phone with the IR thingy download a free app.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Origami Dali posted:

Movies pitched as being in English were able to sell better, so even though guys didn't speak much English at the time, depending on the movie, they'd be mimicking English during the shoot by phonetically mouthing the dialogue so a dub could be added later to match the lips. You have some shot "for Italian", but in a majority of cases like TGTBATU, The Big Gundown, etc, you have the leads speaking English, others mimicking English, and bit players speaking Italian, so the lips won't always match no matter what. And for TBG, which was shot "for English", parts of the English audio are missing for the uncut version, so the only available audio for that cut is Italian (why they didn't do a hybrid thing like the extended cut of Deep Red, I have no clue). It's weird not hearing Van Cleef's voice in the Italian version, but apparently it isn't Thomas Milian's voice in that version either, but rather a good soundalike, lol.

Classic, wild stuff. They sure were cooking with gas, so many movies made a year for a while there too. For say The Mercenary and Companeros, going Italian for Franco Nero seems like the move. Although if he also didn't dub himself that would be funny. I suppose I don't really need to know, if it sounds cool.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

It has to be cheaper for her to just mail it to you.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

I can’t remember much of Mrs. Pepperpot but I’ve always loved the beautiful, melancholic intro theme:

https://youtu.be/9AleE9V3FBk

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gotta love vintage anime music.

So what's everybody's preferred version of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Both the movie cut, and the release for color choices etc? Rewatching it for the first time in long time soon. (Don't have a 4K TV)

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Kino Lorber's 4K release from last year is beautiful. It includes a regular Blu-ray from the same new transfer and restoration they did. I don't think just the regular Bluray is available separately. Their Bluray from 2017 is a different, older restoration and is fine but not as nice as the new one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished rewatching Suspiria (the original), first time on UHD. Jesus, that movie is gorgeous. It's such a surreal and vivid nightmare.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Does anyone know if this Godfather trilogy Blu-ray release in March is of the new transfers done for the 4K UHD release? Or is it a re-issue of the transfers that were done for The Coppola Restoration?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rascar Capac posted:

Does anyone know if this Godfather trilogy Blu-ray release in March is of the new transfers done for the 4K UHD release? Or is it a re-issue of the transfers that were done for The Coppola Restoration?

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29970

This press release definitely makes it sound like the regular blu ray set will be from the new transfers, although I guess it doesn't explicitly say that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
When is the new Spider-Man going to be released on digital/dvd? I can't find any information from google that's not an article with no actual information, generated purely for clicks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

When is the new Spider-Man going to be released on digital/dvd? I can't find any information from google that's not an article with no actual information, generated purely for clicks.

Bluray.com has it on their release calendar for April 12th, although sometimes those dates can float around a bit. But definitely April.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Basebf555 posted:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29970

This press release definitely makes it sound like the regular blu ray set will be from the new transfers, although I guess it doesn't explicitly say that.

That does make the most sense. Thanks!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Big Bizness posted:

Kino Lorber's 4K release from last year is beautiful. It includes a regular Blu-ray from the same new transfer and restoration they did. I don't think just the regular Bluray is available separately. Their Bluray from 2017 is a different, older restoration and is fine but not as nice as the new one.

Right on thanks, that's good to know. I missed they had done two different color grades in the past five years, they're keeping busy! Just to double check, this release with the redone color grading only includes the international theatrical version on both discs?

The 2009 Mondo Italian theatrical cut coupled with English mono, that sounds like a nice way to watch it for me. The color looks pretty inoffensive too. But that combination isn't readily officially available. Just saying, even as specialized as these boutique releases may be, they're not quite covering all the bases for this great movie. I read that Kino picked which cut for their new release with a Facebook poll, which is kind of funny.

That said, it's been so long since I've watched the US theatrical cut, it's possible I'd prefer that, options aplenty.

Rageaholic posted:

Just finished rewatching Suspiria (the original), first time on UHD. Jesus, that movie is gorgeous. It's such a surreal and vivid nightmare.

Righteous, my favorite horror, so good. Dario is the king. I got the Synapse blu-ray a bit ago and haven't watched it yet. It is cool/wild that there are so many releases and variations to choose from with all these classic flicks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 9, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Bluray.com has it on their release calendar for April 12th, although sometimes those dates can float around a bit. But definitely April.

Thanks!

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I'm going through my backlog and wondering which of these I should watch first?

Major Dundee
Massacre Time
My Name is Pecos
Bandaids
And God Said to Cain
Dobermancop
Hidden Fortress
Spartacus
Crouching Tiger

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is Spartacus the UHD? If so that's a top tier UHD, watch it as soon as you can.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Yep :D

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I am super glad I tracked down a copy of that Men in Black UHD set. They really did a great job moving these over to 4K. The original is still the best, 2 is a giant bummer of a movie and 3 is surprisingly great. A shame that soft reboot didnt really go anywhere, still need to check it out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea for me that MIB set was worth it for the first film alone, but the third one is a nice bonus. The less said about MIB 2 the better.

Men in Black was one of those movies where I wore out my old VHS from watching it so many times back in the day, so seeing it on UHD was pretty amazing.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I will probably end up in my grave waiting for a standalone MiB 4K because that's all I want, dammit. Stop making me take extra movies!!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah I buckled only because it seems like this thing is out of print now? It's not available on amazon and I found an unopened copy on ebay for $44. Maybe you might get your wish and we'll see a standalone release for the 25th Anniversary coming up. Though I will be upset if it includes DolbyVision which I think might've really kicked this movie into the next realm of UHD.

and my copy of Alligator shipped! :D

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Best Buy still has the steelbook version of the MIB 4k trilogy available.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

And God Said to Cain is a top tier gothic spaghetti western. Don't sleep on that movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SRS is doing a sale. If you've been sleeping on Day of Destruction or Legend of the Stardust Brothers, they might run out soon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Heavy Metal UHD announced. Day 1 Steelbook for this, easily.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh goddammit!

:same:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh goddammit!

:same:

Best Buy already has it on their website. I ordered it at like 5A. But yeah, I thought of you and the other VinSyn fans when I saw the announcement.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Day 1 crew checking in

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pre-ordered. I remember actually going into a Best Buy to get the Blu-ray off when they had it as an exclusive. It’s a very silly juvenile movie but I still like it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has there been any word on fixing the audio in that The Road Warrior UHD?