Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA I didn't wait for my wife to finish eating

My mother in law takes over an hour to eat. If she’s at home her meal will bump up against snack time which will bump up against her next meal. At restaurants she is frankly embarrassing to eat with and if she gets a box she makes sure to pack every scrap of food and every drop of sauce. Before her most recent stay in the hospital my father in law would often take a separate car so he could leave the restaurant while she was still eating.

She is also slow at everything else she does in life though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

therobit posted:

I actually went and read the Reddit thread last night. The OP was deleted along with a bunch of the OP’s posts, but a bunch of the posts they made regarding the pump were still there. Looks like someone who has type 1 diabetes and also had a pump told them they needed to call Medtronic because at 2 weeks the pump would still be under warranty. Apparently the OP did that and they were going to be sent a new one.

That's good. The turnaround is generally overnight too. Trust me, it loving sucks having your immediate health and possibly life tied to a fragile little box you have to carry around with you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I grew up being told that I eat too fast. I eat more slowly than any friend I've ever hung out with.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That's good. The turnaround is generally overnight too. Trust me, it loving sucks having your immediate health and possibly life tied to a fragile little box you have to carry around with you.

I still hope that professor gets taken to the cleaners, even if only it terms of facing serious institutional consequences.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I once went to a pizza restaurant in Phoenix that was so drat determined to bring your pizza when they wanted to that they served them on little loving stands so they had like a second story to your table to just fill up with stuff. Was good pizza but the service was the really extreme kind of pushy. I think they asked if we wanted dessert when none of us were even halfway finished with our pizza and we had the check probably 30 minutes after we had been seated at around 7:30.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for "stealing" my daughter's bike to teach her a lesson?

quote:

My daughter has her own car. She regularly takes her bike to the lake to ride on the trail. The problem is she will leave her bike in the car even between trips to the lake. I've told her not to because someone is going to steal it if she leaves it in her car overnight but she won't listen. So yesterday morning when she was still sleeping I took her keys and took her bike out of her trunk and hid it in the shed. She wakes up to go for a bike ride and freaks out because her trunk is open and her bike is missing. I told her this was going to happen so she shouldn't act surprised. Only when she started to call the police did I tell her what really happened. She started crying and ran to her room. My wife thinks I was wrong but I think I was just teaching her a lesson. Aita?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Mr. Lobe posted:

I still hope that professor gets taken to the cleaners, even if only it terms of facing serious institutional consequences.

If the student pursued it the Professor is done. Not even from an ADA perspective - from “assaulting the student” perspective. One conversation with a Title IX officer and yep gone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sisal Two-Step posted:

All those criminals out there with copies of her car keys are just waiting in the bushes

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

This one is uproariously funny. It's also indicative of the uphill climb men have in these reddit posts given all the labor to stay neutral. I'd adore a relationship advice post that was like "I asked my fertile wife if we could find a surrogate that's a little less dumb and flabby".

quote:

My [33m] wife and I [32f] have been having fertility problems, now my wife is telling me we should get a sperm donor so we can have a family and so our kids will be smarter/athletic, I told her, her eggs aren't top shelf either.

My wife and I have been married for a year and a half, and before that dated for 6 months. Now we have been trying to have a baby for over a year, and we have had no luck, and it has really been causing a rift in our relationship.

When we started dating, my wife told me from day one that she didn’t want to waste time and have children right away, that her eggs aren’t getting any younger and that she wants to have multiple kids. I told her I was on board with it all.

A couple things, my wife has PCOS and always had pretty irregular periods. A while back she told me that she was worried that she might have screwed up her hormones because she took Plan B a bunch of times. Also when she had her IUD removed to start having kids the gynecologist mentioned that she saw a good bit of inflammation so it might take us longer to have children after the removal.

Now, when it comes to health, my wife and I are both decently healthy, we both have some extra pounds but we generally eat good whole non-processed foods, especially now that we have been trying for a baby. For me, besides stress I feel that I have a pretty healthy life.

About two months ago, my wife mentioned to me about different options we could look into, started out with IUI and then IVF. And then when we were talking about IVF she says that since its so expensive we might as well make it count. And she is like what do you think about getting a sperm donor, and we can pick one out that is really smart and athletic, since its so expensive. I was like no, if I am having a baby I want it to be mine.

She then is like don’t be selfish think about the baby, you got picked on in school, wouldn’t you want your kids to have it easy in life, and go to a really good University. I was like are you saying just because they are mine they are gonna be bullied? She is like I just want what’s best for them. When I told her absolutely not, she then tells me that me not being able to get her pregnant is a sign from nature that I might not be fit enough.

This is where I got annoyed, I was like why do we need your eggs then? Your eggs aren’t in top shape either. Like you are 32, you aren’t the most fertile womb either and your ovaries have been blasted by Plan B if we want to give our kids the best shot shouldn’t we go for non GMO ovaries? And also when you are talking about me making our kids dumb, I had a higher SAT score than you, so who are you talking about this. And I just got annoyed overall because she wanted to marry me to have children, but then after we get together tells me my genetic material is not good enough. Like does she want a husband and father or just a steady paycheck to support her being a mom?

After this fight, my wife left and went back to her mom’s house. She called me a misogynist for my womb comment, and said that if I care so much about genetic material that I am not ready to be a father. That it is very telling.

I mentioned that we can do counseling and talk this all out, but she told me she needs to evaluate to see if she even wants to be with me still. Reddit, what do I do here? I know I was harsh, but this was over months of her just telling me hey you aren’t good genetic material. Like honestly if we did have a kid, I would want to get a paternity test just to be sure at this point. Can this relationship be saved? Also I feel that this stress and anxiety will make it even harder for us to conceive. What should I do here?

TL;DR- wife and I have been having trouble conceiving and now she is suggesting the fault is with me and we get a sperm donor

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Got married after six months of dating?

Wild speculation: like in those "honey let's open our relationship"-type posts, op's wife already has a potential donor in mind.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Got married after six months of dating?

Wild speculation: like in those "honey let's open our relationship"-type posts, op's wife already has a potential donor in mind.

my guess is she has just really, really wanted a baby, but at the same time ties having a baby closely to being married and can't imagine doing one without the other. Thus the very short engagement period and pretty clear communication that she wants to have a baby immediately after getting married.

So, she's gotten married, now she wants her baby. The husband's opinion or genes don't apparently interest her.

Also, that relationship is walking dead. Even if OP hadn't fired back with his own insults, a relationship is not gonna come back from what she said and implied.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 7, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I hope that they stay together for the rest of their lives and never have any children.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Also, that relationship is walking dead. Even if OP hadn't fired back with his own insults, a relationship is not gonna come back from what she said and implied.

Bingo, I'd be out the door and would be taking my self respect with me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
r/relationships: shouldn’t we go for non GMO ovaries?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I want a baby, I just don't want *your* baby.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

r/relationships: shouldn’t we go for non GMO ovaries?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Hello all. I don't know what time it is where you are, but as the song goes, it's midnight somewhere. And we all know what that means, don't we?

It's time to buy furniture

AITA for not running an errand for my girlfriend at midnight

quote:

My girlfriend (26F) and I (24M) just moved in to a new apartment together last week after dating for over two years. She recently decided to sell her car because it didn’t run well and since I have a car she thought she wouldn’t need it now that we live together, and she never bought a new one. Because of that I have been driving her to and from work every day and bringing her places she needs to go and I don’t mind too much because it’s normally not much of an inconvenience. She also works overnights and she really enjoys looking for furniture and shopping online for apartment things during her lunch break since our apartment is pretty much empty. Last night I woke up to use the bathroom just after midnight and I had a text from her 5 minutes ago saying something was urgent. I called her and she says she just found a nice table on Facebook marketplace and she needed me to go pick it up. I looked up the address and it was a 25 minute drive. I told her I was in bed but she just demanded I get up and go get it before it is sold to someone else. I tried to tell her she’s not gonna sell it right now since it’s the middle of the night and I’ll get it first thing in the morning but she insisted I go right now.

We got in an argument about it because a) I hadn’t seen the table and our furniture has to be things we both like since we both live there b) it’s midnight and a 25 minute drive both ways c) I would have to move a table by myself and up to our 4th floor apartment and d) it was over $300 which is a lot of money to pay for a table I’ve never even seen. I told her I wasn’t gonna go get it right this moment and we can go see it in the morning and then decide together if we want it, not just her making a decision.

She got super mad and said I’m being an rear end in a top hat and being “lazy and selfish” because I want to go in the morning. I told her she was the one being selfish for demanding me to go fetch her something at midnight, and she hung up. I picked her up from work at 6 AM and she was still angry and wouldn’t talk to me.

When we checked in the morning the table was marked as sold and now she’s even more angry at me. I really feel like she’s the one being selfish for asking me to do all this for something she wanted without even asking my opinion about it even tho it’s for both of us, especially since I run errands and give her rides just about every day now. Am I being the rear end in a top hat here?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
As if sperm donation isn't a crapshoot in and of itself.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

LOL

quote:

YTA It was plenty secure locked in her car. Of course you could steal it, you had access to her keys. You suck.

OP posted:

Even people without keys break into cars all the time

quote:

You need to stop watching foxnews

OP posted:

What's wrong with Fox news?

quote:

They make you angry and afraid by exaggerating the levels of crime so you vote for Republicans

OP posted:

I already vote Republican.

quote:

Maybe delete this comment. You're definitely not recruiting anyone to Team GOP by being an rear end in a top hat, not accepting any critical feedback, and then proudly telling everyone that you're a Republican. Way to feed the stereotype, dude.

OP posted:

I'm not trying to recruit anyone because unlike democrats, Republicans actually think for themselves instead of listening to what someone on Reddit told them.

quote:

Says the person who ask Aita….

:nallears:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In my experience in the restaurant industry, when a table orders an appetizer and entree at the same time but wants their appetizer first, lazy servers will put both in at the same time and put a note on the ticket like "appetizers first".

The cooks generally ignore this, because their job is to make the food and get it out as efficiently as possible, which means first-in first-out. It's unfair to ask them to skip around in the queue and try to correctly time the courses for a table, that's the server job. Or sometimes the appetizer is ready first but by the time someone gets around to taking it to the table, everything else is ready too, and once the food is ready, it's got to be taken to the table both because that's when it's at it's best, and because you can't have one table's food sitting there blocking every other table's food from coming out.

If you're the customer and it's that important to you, you just have to order your appetizers first, or there's a good chance you'll wind up in the OP's position where you don't really have any good options.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

When I was a waiter our system let you put the whole order in at once but only send the entrees (appies) to the kitchen. When you'd noticed that the table was nearly finished with them, you'd put in the request for the mains (entrees) and they'd usually be ready by the time you'd finished clearing the table of the first round of dishes, etc. This was over ten years ago, so you'd think that things have only gotten better since then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

In my experience in the restaurant industry, when a table orders an appetizer and entree at the same time but wants their appetizer first, lazy servers will put both in at the same time and put a note on the ticket like "appetizers first".

The cooks generally ignore this, because their job is to make the food and get it out as efficiently as possible, which means first-in first-out. It's unfair to ask them to skip around in the queue and try to correctly time the courses for a table, that's the server job.

It's 2022. Any reasonable POS system (and you know that lovely chains like the cheesecake factor are running entirely on electronic POS systems) can be set to fire the entrees after the apps are up (the runner or the kitchen punches things out as they are done and the system fires the rest of the order, or the server releases the rest of the order - depends on how the place is run).

So either this exists and the server(s) aren't using the POS correctly, or it doesn't exist (unlikely at a chain place).

I've had the unfortunate experience of working on several of these systems, and it's really appropriate that "Point Of Sale" abbreviates as something more appropriate. But this is basic, basic functionality that has been around for decades in all of the major systems.

You say you have experience in the restaurant industry. Is this not something you have seen? What kind of places/systems did you have to deal with? Even freaking Aloha can do this, and that's easily the jankiest mainstream one I've come across.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Human Tornada posted:

The cooks generally ignore this, because their job is to make the food and get it out as efficiently as possible, which means first-in first-out. It's unfair to ask them to skip around in the queue and try to correctly time the courses for a table, that's the server job. Or sometimes the appetizer is ready first but by the time someone gets around to taking it to the table, everything else is ready too, and once the food is ready, it's got to be taken to the table both because that's when it's at it's best, and because you can't have one table's food sitting there blocking every other table's food from coming out.

If you're the customer and it's that important to you, you just have to order your appetizers first, or there's a good chance you'll wind up in the OP's position where you don't really have any good options.

Every POS I have used has an option to ring in an order and put it on hold, so you can just have it already in the system and just fire them to the line once apps hit the table. It’s honestly just the server being lazy imo. Mitigating factor - if there’s a big table that just sat down you want to try to get your entrees fired before them, or they’re gonna finish their apps and be waiting around for the next course pissed, while the kitchen is fully focused on the 20-tops entrees.

Also sometime you ring in entrees right as the apps hit the table and your normally slow entree cooks set speed records, but that doesn’t sound like the case here.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

This is a tangent, but how did us americans adopt using "entreé" as the word for main course, when everyone else uses it for what we call the appetizer?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

bell jar posted:

When I was a waiter our system let you put the whole order in at once but only send the entrees (appies) to the kitchen. When you'd noticed that the table was nearly finished with them, you'd put in the request for the mains (entrees) and they'd usually be ready by the time you'd finished clearing the table of the first round of dishes, etc. This was over ten years ago, so you'd think that things have only gotten better since then.

Yeah that's still around, but you have to actually use it (correctly) in order for it to be effective, and not everybody does.

Edit:

Motronic posted:

It's 2022. Any reasonable POS system (and you know that lovely chains like the cheesecake factor are running entirely on electronic POS systems) can be set to fire the entrees after the apps are up (the runner or the kitchen punches things out as they are done and the system fires the rest of the order, or the server releases the rest of the order - depends on how the place is run).

So either this exists and the server(s) aren't using the POS correctly, or it doesn't exist (unlikely at a chain place).

I've had the unfortunate experience of working on several of these systems, and it's really appropriate that "Point Of Sale" abbreviates as something more appropriate. But this is basic, basic functionality that has been around for decades in all of the major systems.

You say you have experience in the restaurant industry. Is this not something you have seen? What kind of places/systems did you have to deal with? Even freaking Aloha can do this, and that's easily the jankiest mainstream one I've come across.

Of course I've seen systems like this, but the problem is that not everybody uses it correctly. I've never worked at a chain and can't speak for the server in the OP, but in my experience the good servers take full advantage of the POS to make their jobs as easy as possible, and the more mediocre ones don't. Sometimes they're scared of computers (yes really) and don't want to do any more than is absolutely necessary. Sometimes they're scared they'll forget to send the second part (again) so they just do it all at once. Sometimes they just don't care that much and want to turn the table quickly and are counting on societal pressure to get a decent tip regardless.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DemoneeHo posted:

This is a tangent, but how did us americans adopt using "entreé" as the word for main course, when everyone else uses it for what we call the appetizer?

A quick poking around didn't turn up anything definitive, but it appears that in grandiose multi-course meals appetizers were the starter and an entree used to be the dish just before the main course. As things shrank the nomenclature changed depending on whether you focused on "dish after the appetizers" or "dish before the main course."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to pay my parents rent money?

quote:

I (18f) turned 18 about a month ago. The day after my birthday my parents sat me down and told me they want me to pay rent while I lived at home. I was a little confused, I have three older siblings and the deal for them was that they could live at home for free while they were studying, even when they were several years older than I am.

Now I can only work weekends cuz of college, so I make about €500 a month, and after paying for tuition, health insurance (mandatory), and my phone bill I have about €300 left, most of which I try to save. So I asked my parents how much they'd want, 100 a month? Maybe 200?

But no, they want me to pay MARKET VALUE to rent a room, which is, in the city where I live, about €500.

Now I think this is ridiculous for two reasons. 1: My parents rent for the entire house is 600 a month. I would have understood asking for 1/3 of that, but for me alone to pay 84% seems excessive. And 2: None of my siblings paid rent, even if they were older or had better paying jobs. Not to mention that my parents didn't give me any warning, if I had known beforehand I'd have looked for a room when college started.

I explained that I'd have to make almost 800 a month just to be able to pay for everything, and even more if I want to save anything for unexpected expenses / schoolbooks / actually moving out. Which would be really hard to do while going to college full time and commuting back and forth. They told me to "just take out some student loans."

I told them I'm not okay with paying that much, and that I would look to move out as soon as possible so I wouldn't be a financial burden to them. I think I've found a room (cheaper than my parents offered) and will probably move out in a week or two if everything goes right, but I haven't paid this month's rent.

AITA?

Edit: Some people pointed out that my parents are legally obliged to help pay for my living/college expenses. I'll look into it.

(OP is Dutch before you start arguing about the edit)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

There has to be something behind this. Why spring this on this one kid?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

apparently it's because she's the only daughter

e: i mean that's reddit's theory anyway, it isn't confirmed or anything

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 8, 2022

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

Mx. posted:

Family scapegoat spotted!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

On the one hand, being like "I WANT GRADE A EUGENICS SPERM" is loving dystopian as hell. On the other hand, surprising them with a DNA bomb also sucks.

On the third hand, a lot of in vitro has problems with the guys doing the in vitro just jacking off into the cup themselves because the fresher the sperm, the better it works.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lots of weird out-of-nowhere miserly behavior is linked to people having financial problems and not wanting to admit it

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Midnight Voyager posted:

On the third hand, a lot of in vitro has problems with the guys doing the in vitro just jacking off into the cup themselves because the fresher the sperm, the better it works.

Reeeeeeeeally? That's super interesting. I'm not exactly surprised but never heard of this before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Lots of weird out-of-nowhere miserly behavior is linked to people having financial problems and not wanting to admit it

Roast Beef, what do you think we are, Millionaires?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For Refusing To Give in to a Disney Adult?

quote:

My niece just turned 5 and we got her a MagicMixie. My sister, "Elsa" has a strict "Disney Toy Only" policy and literally gives us lists of acceptable Disney-only toys, but that's not what my niece wanted. She's been obsessed with getting a MagicMixie since her friend got one. My BIL doesn't care and gets her other stuff all the time. I texted him and he said it was okay to not stick to the list since the grandparents got her stuff that wasn't Disney-related. He said he wants Niece to branch out more and to ignore the list.

"Elsa" is a Disney Adult. Everything has to be Disney related. Before my niece was born Elsa sent out a facebook post and a family-wide email that anything without a Disney character on it, toys, clothes, bedding, furniture, anything, would get thrown out. Not donated, thrown out. We've never actually sent my niece a gift at all because we knew Elsa would throw it away. Disney is her aesthetic and she'll throw things away in front of the people who gift them to her if they're not plastered with cartoon characters.

At her birthday party, Niece opened the MagicMixie and went bananas. Elsa didn't say anything other than a neutral "how cute" and then moved on to something else. After the party was over, Elsa went apeshit and said it's my fault she has to throw her kid's toy away. Apparently she and BIL got into a big fight when she tried to throw it out during the party. She also tried to give it to several of the parents at the party. The moms from her mom group called her insensitive that she'd try to get rid of a toy her kid was so excited about and asked if she was going to do that with their gifts.

My mom called me later and said I was a huge AH for not sticking to what Elsa wanted and “making her anxious about the presents” because I guess after the party, her mom group friends got pissed at her when they found out she throws gifts away so she and Niece are uninvited from a lot of spring activities.

AITA for not giving in to a Disney Adult and getting the kid the toy they actually wanted?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats some top notch advertising for MagicMixies

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Mx. posted:

lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mx. posted:

spray her with the hose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ah so it's like this, but for Disney