Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cinci zoo sniper posted:

imo it’s safe to politely ask 10% up even for an offer you see as serious as fair. a normal company will just decline to increase, if their offer was final

yeah they don't need to know that their first offer already exceeded your expectations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

also my lovely boss almost died in a car wreck last week and came back from the hospital talking about work life balance and how he realizes he's been wasting his and our lives on work and nothing is that important so.... we will see how long that lasts till I leave

drunk driving may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people figure out works sucks, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
thanks for the encouragement, I made myself ask for more and ended up getting a nice signing bonus

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

first move tengen posted:

thanks for the encouragement, I made myself ask for more and ended up getting a nice signing bonus

:discourse:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

this thread’s posts are literally worth thousands of dollars

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah, well into 7 figs by now. bfc negotiation thread is prolly low 8 figs at this point

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

noice

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
yes, thanks to this thread and BFC giving me a better idea what to target, my recently accepted offer is a 70% jump in TC rather than the 15% jump I was targeting (with a nice 25k signing bonus). Thank you all!!!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
we are not kidding when we say "read the bfc negotiation thread"

read the bfc negotiation thread

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

why?

i'm being serious, i know what i'm worth and ask for more than that, as a computer toucher that seems sufficient

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

there is a certain finesse to negotiation and it’s not an exaggeration that saying the wrong thing just once can negatively and significantly impact the final outcome. you should be aware of how to negotiate and the mistakes to avoid, even if you already know what you want, because you might be able to get more than that for free.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

throw a link please

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

champagne posting posted:

throw a link please

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

another success story

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FMguru posted:

this thread is probably better if you're a computer toucher; more targeted data points. the advice isn't that different. Always ask for more and never say a number unless you're very sure of what it should be. If you're guessing shut your mouth

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://www.geekwire.com/2022/amazon-more-than-doubles-max-base-pay-to-350k-for-corporate-and-tech-workers-citing-labor-market/

:suspense:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30246395 posted:

Judging from what an insider in the HR org told me, we're going to be hearing a lot of stories like this going forward. Apparently, Amazon scale is so large and their attrition rates are so bad that in some markets, every potentially qualified candidate has already applied and failed an interview, or previously worked at Amazon and quit. As the adage goes, necessity is the mother of invention and Amazon seems to be at a point where it really needs to try everything under the sun to try to attract talent, given their extremely poor reputation.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, still won't work there, but i'll take the money that this forces other peeps to pay to match

350k tc is basically quotidian nowadays in figgieland prime and secondus but i haven't heard of 350k cash portion much

e: outside of netflix ofc, which the thread mentions

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 7, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I like how they think of throwing a lot of money around before trying to be a less terrible place to work.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

well, still won't work there, but i'll take the money that this forces other peeps to pay to match

350k tc is basically quotidian nowadays in figgieland prime and secondus but i haven't heard of 350k cash portion much

this was exactly my thought. there's going to be some blood on the floor when other companies see this. also if amazon want to hire more people, they should stop the stupid automated algo tests they force everyone to do before they've even spoken to someone on the team.

so owned i guess, jeff.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

I like how they think of throwing a lot of money around before trying to be a less terrible place to work.

when nadella did the great shitfuck purge of microsoft in the mid-2010s, where do you think all the shitfucks went?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the great shitfuck purge of microsoft in the mid-2010s

link(s)/deets?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao just took a codility test for a job screen and got a 60% on the hidden test cases, whoopsie! i thought i spent enough time playing with aoc to get un-rusted but apparently not.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ultrafilter posted:

the basic problem with hoping for culture changes is that amazon has been very successful with their current culture. i don't think it's because of their toxic internal culture, but there are probably a lot of people inside amazon who do. becoming a less terrible place to work requires them to first have a meaningful downturn that shows that they can't just keep doing what they've been doing.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Plorkyeran posted:

the basic problem with hoping for culture changes is that amazon has been very successful with their current culture. i don't think it's because of their toxic internal culture, but there are probably a lot of people inside amazon who do. becoming a less terrible place to work requires them to first have a meaningful downturn that shows that they can't just keep doing what they've been doing.

seems like it doubling your headcount costs would be the kind of thing that might grab the attention of people who otherwise wouldn't care about bad internal culture

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

What makes you think they didn’t do the math and figure this was cheaper?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yowza this is probably why they've been hounding me again lately

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

raminasi posted:

seems like it doubling your headcount costs would be the kind of thing that might grab the attention of people who otherwise wouldn't care about bad internal culture

it's not that they don't care; they think it's a strength. having to double your base salary to be able to continue hire people doesn't disprove that if you continue to be profitable and growing anyway

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
i will definitely sell me soul to Amazon while I wait out my non compete. still on the hunt but I have some interesting leads right now and my resume is moving through a friends place, but a resume to Amazon might not be bad. have a few pals over there too…

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

yowza this is probably why they've been hounding me again lately

yeah really. i was getting an email every other day from a different recruiter of theirs for a few weeks

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

keep in mind they're not raising base to that, it's the cap

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I had the same recruiter mail me 8 times with the same message in less than 2 months. It was so bad that, on the week that they sent me a third message that week, I had to tell them to stop. Now I just get 2 messages a week from different people, which seems less obnoxious. I ignore them every time though because lmao eat poo poo jeff.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

nadella in the first months of walking into microsoft cut 18000 jobs

this was the foundation of the big turnaround and now azures the second big cloud dealio

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

nadella in the first months of walking into microsoft cut 18000 jobs

this was the foundation of the big turnaround and now azures the second big cloud dealio

was that the great firing of the testers, or did that already happen in the ballmer years?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
couple thousand and the rest of the dept got merged w normal devs

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i would absolutely work for amazon for 350k in base salary plus 50k bonus and 200k in rsus. do i make anywhere near even half of that now? no. but that's what it'd take for me to work for amazon.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its 200k the fucky wucky amazon way, with a tiny amount first two years then ramp up (because most sane peeps dont make it two years)

bonus is bigger than that tho

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'll take bonus over fucky vesting rsus any day, as long as the bonus pays out. i mean, once the rsus vest, i'm just going to sell them and buy voo, same as i'd do with the bonus

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, the upsides petered out materially on amazon rsu too because of lack of huge stock appreciation

see? they know the price of peeps. unfortunately.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah the stock appreciation is huge. google pays me $x but my buy price for other companies is a lot more than that cause of appreciation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
https://gist.github.com/vcarl/14275c72baf976ff1665392e14225dcc showed up in my twitter feed as a list of questions to ask the interviewer, pretty deece imo