Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Which of his books is that author profile from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sigh...
*puts down reading glasses, closes book*
I didn't want to have to have this conversation tonight, but here we are.

More like "oldsenseless."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Elissimpark posted:

Just deploy your luxury gay space communist sunglasses, comrade.

These guys are space cockroaches btw.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Log082 posted:

Crichton ends the Jurassic Park second book with a speech about how maybe atoms aren't real, have you ever seen an atom? Like, with your eyes?

The entire thesis of the series (and a lot of his other books) is that science is bad and will kill us all. JP gets a pass because it's an incredible movie and dinosaurs are so awesome it buries the dumb message. I love the series but it was a hit in spite of Crichton, not because of him.

Crichton's novels are so blatantly a platform for him to spew his dumb theories and bullshit. He's a great storyteller, and when he uses science it's really effective, but he so often manages to cram in bullshit. I mean, State of Fear was straight-up fuckin climate change denial propaganda, but even in his good books his characters seem to step out of the novel, like a fuckin spotlight is on them to just randomly deliver a massive science OR NOT SCIENCE exposition that I couldn't tell if I was supposed to imagine the characters literally breaking the fourth wall to tell me about science or if I was to believe they were actually speaking because nobody in the loving world talks at all like characters in a Crichton novel.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

MariusLecter posted:

Really? Its been a while since I saw the film.

I still think they have the snazziest space-future uniforms ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jurassic Park doesn't owe much to the book besides the premise- after all, the book can't have spectacular special effects that changed the way dinosaurs were depicted in pretty much everything going forward.

Been said that the movie version of Hammond clearly is a character Spielberg identifies with, a creative and ambitious showman who genuinely wants to create the most incredible experience humanity has ever seen- and almost pulls it off! Jurassic Park in the movie isn't meant to just be a setting for people running away from dinosaurs, it's an awe-inspiring and tragic place in its own right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's like how jaws-the-book was mostly torrid affair and only marginally shark related.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

credburn posted:

Crichton's novels are so blatantly a platform for him to spew his dumb theories and bullshit. He's a great storyteller, and when he uses science it's really effective, but he so often manages to cram in bullshit. I mean, State of Fear was straight-up fuckin climate change denial propaganda, but even in his good books his characters seem to step out of the novel, like a fuckin spotlight is on them to just randomly deliver a massive science OR NOT SCIENCE exposition that I couldn't tell if I was supposed to imagine the characters literally breaking the fourth wall to tell me about science or if I was to believe they were actually speaking because nobody in the loving world talks at all like characters in a Crichton novel.

Love when he makes his critics tiny penised baby rapists, love that little detail.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

TaurusTorus posted:

Love when he makes his critics tiny penised baby rapists, love that little detail.

Haha, I think I've heard of this. What's the story here?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, what's it like to have the Michael Chrichton write about you?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

Haha, I think I've heard of this. What's the story here?

The story goes that someone criticized his bad science or bad writing or both, so he wrote a character that said the same but was a tiny-dicked baby-fucker. Cleverly so as to avoid charges of libel since how could anyone say "hey, that's me in the book, the tiny-dicked baby-fucker."

e: in the climate change denialist conspiracy-ridden nonsense book, State of Fear

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He got sued for that, and lost.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tunicate posted:

It's like how jaws-the-book was mostly torrid affair and only marginally shark related.

IIRC, Jaws the movie actually was meant to have more shark but since the animatronic shark prop was so lovely and unreliable they ended up with a lot less usable footage and filled the runtime with more human drama and intrigue.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Has any movie or TV show found a way to display text on screen? It's always feels like they're flashed on screen for a second but I feel like it's important or why show it?

Every frame a painting has a good bit on this exact question. It's been a while since I watched it (over 7 years apparently!), but iirc the thesis is that text works much better on screen when you can see the text and a character in the same shot, rather than having the text as an insert. He uses the example from Sherlock of having the text floating in space above the phone (a technique seemingly pioneered by UK soap Hollyoaks of all things) as a way of solving this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfq2zblGXw

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

IIRC Crichton ended up as a climate change denier so, yeah
I remember reading something by him back in the '90s that brought up "scientists used to believe in global cooling, now they're all about global warming"

But also he wrote The Andromeda Strain so who's to say if he's good or bad?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Niric posted:

Every frame a painting has a good bit on this exact question. It's been a while since I watched it (over 7 years apparently!), but iirc the thesis is that text works much better on screen when you can see the text and a character in the same shot, rather than having the text as an insert. He uses the example from Sherlock of having the text floating in space above the phone (a technique seemingly pioneered by UK soap Hollyoaks of all things) as a way of solving this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFfq2zblGXw

I get that this works, and it's kinda neat, but it always takes me out of whatever I'm watching. Just reminds me of Sherlock and seems smug and overly clever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FFT posted:

But also he wrote The Andromeda Strain so who's to say if he's good or bad?

Stop_all_space_exploration_or_we'll_all_die_from_space_plague.txt

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Stop_all_space_exploration_or_we'll_all_die_from_space_plague.txt
'69 to '84 it probably inspired Venom, so

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

muscles like this! posted:

SMH at somebody who hasn't watched every Jenny video dozens of times.
She's the first person I've supported on Patreon and in hindsight it was a good decision for more than one reason (there's something like 50+ extra videos, not as polished/edited as the main ones ofc but quite a lot of them are on par with the main channel as far as content goes).

Roblo posted:

SherlockMoffat seems smug and overly clever.
Another mandatory video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, Jaws the movie actually was meant to have more shark but since the animatronic shark prop was so lovely and unreliable they ended up with a lot less usable footage and filled the runtime with more human drama and intrigue.

This and they also relied on work arounds like using the barrels, underwater POV, music and things like that torn away dock to signify the shark. Which turned out to be far more effective

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MariusLecter posted:

No, the cockroaches are in Godzilla vs. Gigan. These guys are Xilians--the invaders from Planet X--from Monster Zero/Invasion of Astro Monster.

These guys are the space cockroaches:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
TIL that Michael Chabon wrote Spider-Man 2, which to me makes Jon Stewart's joke about how it's really pronounced Spiderman, Irving Spiderman, even funnier.

No Way Home was entertaining but it's still got that standard MCU flaw where characters’ actions are used to drive plot, without any concern for what those actions say about the character (This bit isn't going to spoil anything that's not in the trailer). I mean, by any measure, the villain of this film is Dr. Strange. He starts this big complicated spell that Peter needs to participate in, but can’t screw up, without explaining the first thing about the process. No practice, no dry run. I mean, what kind of surgeon was this guy? He doesn't use checklists or even brief his surgical team? You don’t even start a Cessna without a checklist, but he’s casting a spell with the potential to basically destroy reality and he doesn’t say word one before he starts. And then when it does go wrong, he blames the person who did nothing wrong, and says “I don’t care, you fix it.”
But we’re still supposed to *like* Strange. He’s still supposed to be amusingly witty, and not just a petulant evil rear end in a top hat. We’re supposed to ignore what his actions say about him, because it’s not really Strange-the-character doing these things, it’s Strange-the-plot-device.

It’s not as flagrant a problem here as it is in Civil War, but it’s still a big problem

And it never seems to occur to Peter that maybe if these guys were just about to be defeated by Spiderman when they got warped to the MCU, then that means they were doing something bad at the time. They all say "Yeah, Spiderman was just about to end me and I wound up here," but Peter never wonders "And....why was my alternative self about to do that?" Like, the idea that Ock was about to melt the entire city was pretty relevant but never even inquired about. And the cures were really pro-forma and ridiculous. Okay, the one for Ock made sense, he's being controlled by the AI in the tentacles. But the other villains were *bad people*. You don't take a really powerful evil person and turn them into a good person by taking away his powers. Electro is still an evil rear end in a top hat. And if you really can whip up an anti-rear end in a top hat serum in 20 minutes, then the real solution to this dilemma isn't to spend the rest of the movie fighting all the villains, it's to inject it into Strange so he cleans up his own mess.

And speaking of Strange, this is now the second film where he's shown up to the final fight and been so powerful that they need to have him just sit there holding back a flood instead of doing something in the fight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I think the MCU is just collapsing under its own weight, similar to the comics.

You get this many characters, power levels, continuity and locales all interacting with each other the less things make any loving sense from a character standpoint. It's a big reason why Iron Man 1, Netflix Daredevil, Blade, Raimi's Spiderman and The First Avenger worked so well because you can use these characters in a vacuum and just center the plot around their singularity instead of figuring out ways for Hawkeye and Black Widow to exist next to literal gods and try to make it all make sense. Even Black Panther was fairly self contained and was better for it.

I like some of the crossover stuff but in the films (as well as the comics) I always kind of prefer it when heroes stay in their lanes, especially when it comes to power levels and the overall stakes. We're getting into time travel and mind wipes and all that poo poo to where I usually start to tune out. Never was a fan of Spiderman in space or even Batman getting involved in Superman level poo poo.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The story goes that someone criticized his bad science or bad writing or both, so he wrote a character that said the same but was a tiny-dicked baby-fucker. Cleverly so as to avoid charges of libel since how could anyone say "hey, that's me in the book, the tiny-dicked baby-fucker."

e: in the climate change denialist conspiracy-ridden nonsense book, State of Fear

Yup, "Michael Crowley" criticized State of Fear for being dumb garbage and "Mick Crowley" rapes a baby in the next Crichton book, totally different people, really.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phanatic posted:

And speaking of Strange, this is now the second film where he's shown up to the final fight and been so powerful that they need to have him just sit there holding back a flood instead of doing something in the fight.

That's just comic accurate, dude sat out a few events because he has phenomenal cosmic power

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

And then when it does go wrong, he blames the person who did nothing wrong, and says “I don’t care, you fix it.”

He does actually tell Peter to shut up, he's messing the spell, shut up, loving SHUT UP! before it all goes to poo poo.

Pete ain't blameless in the situation. At worst he'd have to just retell the people who forgot and then explain the whole "that magic guy? Dr strange? He cast this spell that changed everyone's memories, you used to know I was Spider-Man, so I'm telling you again".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 20:24 on Feb 7, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He does actually tell Peter to shut up, he's messing the spell, poo poo up, loving SHUT UP! before it all goes to poo poo.

Pete ain't blameless in the situation. At worst he'd have to just retell the people who forgot and then explain the whole "that magic guy? Dr strange? He cast this spell that changed everyone's memories, you used to know I was Spider-Man, so I'm telling you again".

Here's mine regarding the end of the new spider-man. I'll drop the whole thing in spoilers just in case.

Doc Strange casts a spell so no one knows who Peter Parker is to resolve the hosed up spell.

This gives me a couple of questions. 1: Did he just gently caress over Tobey and Garfield's version of spider-man, sending them home to a world where no one knew them?
2: JJJ now has no idea who Spiderman is, but did the magic spell somehow erase the existing recordings of his show?
I can get that everyone gets magically mind-wiped, but does the spell also go through deleting files on people's computers as well?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I actually did like that Peter wanted to save the villains. Although I think doing three in one movie might have been little too pat

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Phanatic posted:

No Way Home was entertaining but it's still got that standard MCU flaw where characters’ actions are used to drive plot, without any concern for what those actions say about the character (This bit isn't going to spoil anything that's not in the trailer). I mean, by any measure, the villain of this film is Dr. Strange. He starts this big complicated spell that Peter needs to participate in, but can’t screw up, without explaining the first thing about the process. No practice, no dry run. I mean, what kind of surgeon was this guy? He doesn't use checklists or even brief his surgical team? You don’t even start a Cessna without a checklist, but he’s casting a spell with the potential to basically destroy reality and he doesn’t say word one before he starts. And then when it does go wrong, he blames the person who did nothing wrong, and says “I don’t care, you fix it.”
But we’re still supposed to *like* Strange. He’s still supposed to be amusingly witty, and not just a petulant evil rear end in a top hat. We’re supposed to ignore what his actions say about him, because it’s not really Strange-the-character doing these things, it’s Strange-the-plot-device.

It’s not as flagrant a problem here as it is in Civil War, but it’s still a big problem.

[/spoiler]

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the MCU is just collapsing under its own weight, similar to the comics.

You get this many characters, power levels, continuity and locales all interacting with each other the less things make any loving sense from a character standpoint. It's a big reason why Iron Man 1, Netflix Daredevil, Blade, Raimi's Spiderman and The First Avenger worked so well because you can use these characters in a vacuum and just center the plot around their singularity instead of figuring out ways for Hawkeye and Black Widow to exist next to literal gods and try to make it all make sense. Even Black Panther was fairly self contained and was better for it.

I like some of the crossover stuff but in the films (as well as the comics) I always kind of prefer it when heroes stay in their lanes, especially when it comes to power levels and the overall stakes. We're getting into time travel and mind wipes and all that poo poo to where I usually start to tune out. Never was a fan of Spiderman in space or even Batman getting involved in Superman level poo poo.
Welcome to comic book writing, where everything's by committee and the character development doesn't matter.

Take the original Civil War, for example, in which Tony Stark and Reed Richards basically become the unequivocal villains who exile dissidents in the Negative Zone and build a cyborg clone Thor who immediately kills an Avenger. Also Spider-Man reveals his secret identity--and that's immediately undone as part of Joe Quesada's project to erase the Peter-MJ marriage.

This is what frustrates me nowadays: Disney seems dead set on turning the movie industry into the comics industry in all the worst ways.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
mcu clone saga when

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I hope I haven't already bitched about this in this thread, but on the subject of comic book movies, I as an ignorant newcomer to comics and comic book movies and superheroes... I need to know who is immortal and who is not!

Is Wolverine immortal? Kinda; he can regenerate and his bones are made of pipes

Is Thor immortal? Well, he is a god and can fly and doesn't ever appear to be hurt in any way, but there are times in those movies where the direction is clearly trying to make me worry for Thor, but why? I've never seen him hurt. Who cares if he falls down an elevator shaft? Who cares if a building falls on him? He's been thrown through multiple walls and walked away with some dust. If I was Thor I would just have a slew of jets I could kamikaze into the bad guys.

Is Hawkeye immortal? I just want him to die.

If I'm going to be invested in the characters within a movie, and if the movie wants me to worry about them, then it needs to start by telling me who is actually even capable of being hurt. If it's a movie about a bunch of immortals where nobody can die, then the fighting and poo poo is all so superficial. The only thing that matters in that case are the characters themselves and their motivations and their conflicts. I don't need to see two people punch each other through walls for forty five minutes if it ultimately means absolutely nothing.

This gif kinda illustrates the point, a little.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Feb 7, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

I hope I haven't already bitched about this in this thread, but on the subject of comic book movies, I as an ignorant newcomer to comics and comic book movies and superheroes... I need to know who is immortal and who is not!

Is Wolverine immortal? Kinda; he can regenerate and his bones are made of pipes

Is Thor immortal? Well, he is a god and can fly and doesn't ever appear to be hurt in any way, but there are times in those movies where the direction is clearly trying to make me worry for Thor, but why? I've never seen him hurt. Who cares if he falls down an elevator shaft? Who cares if a building falls on him?

Is Hawkeye immortal? I just want him to die.

If I'm going to be invested in the characters within a movie, and if the movie wants me to worry about them, then it needs to start by telling me who is actually even capable of being hurt.

This gif kinda illustrates the point, a little.

Off the top of my head there are few actually immortal characters (although really everyone is because comic books), really think of the Asgardians as aliens that seemed to us like gods rather than like actual gods and stuff. But Thor is kind of a Superman (gif aside) type in that he's not going to be threatened by anything mundane and only by someone equally powerful, whereas like Captain America would probably still be killed by a semi-truck running him over

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah. MCU had Blonksy have his skeletal system turned to gravel by hulk, got hit with the supersoldier serum knockoff, and boom he's up and rolling. Cap would probably push the goddamn thing backwards after dramatically gasping for a second like it involves effort.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

credburn posted:

Is Thor immortal? Well, he is a god and can fly and doesn't ever appear to be hurt in any way, but there are times in those movies where the direction is clearly trying to make me worry for Thor, but why? I've never seen him hurt. Who cares if he falls down an elevator shaft?

In the first Avengers movie Thor is apparently in some kind of peril because he’s in a glass cage that’s falling to Earth.

I’ve never understood that. He can fly. He could carry the cage while flying. How does being inside the cage as it’s falling threaten him at all?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Phanatic posted:

In the first Avengers movie Thor is apparently in some kind of peril because he’s in a glass cage that’s falling to Earth.

I’ve never understood that. He can fly. He could carry the cage while flying. How does being inside the cage as it’s falling threaten him at all?

It's because he is a big dumbass.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He does actually tell Peter to shut up, he's messing the spell, shut up, loving SHUT UP! before it all goes to poo poo.

Given the disparity of knowledge and power, I'm gonna say Peter is absolutely blameless. If you give a toddler an uzi you can't say "well the toddler asked me for it".

Given he's literally a doctor, Dr strange seems to have no idea about informed consent. The responsibility was on him to explain it all to Peter before even picking up his wand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Technically Thor can't fly. He just looks like he's flying by throwing Mjolnir and then hanging on.

Yes, that doesn't make any sense.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In superhero comics, death tends to only be a suggestion. Wolverine's died. Superman's died. Cap died in Civil War. Tony Stark once died and got replaced with his teenage self. Thanos was actually dead in the comics for a long time, and that was *before* the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. That cyborg clone Thor I mentioned? They made him because the original Thor was dead at the time.

Heck, currently, in X-Men, they have a system where they can resurrect any mutant ever.

They used to say "Only Bucky stays dead," but then Winter Soldier came along.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

IN comics, the characters are as immortal as the writer says they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although really most of the time when a comic book character "dies" there's usually some kind of out for them so they didn't really die die.