Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Disco Elysium doesn't even have a jump button and it's supposed to be game of the year? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DE doesn't have weapon degradation so it's better than BOTW

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ChocNitty posted:

I hated this game. People hold videogames to a lower standard when it comes to writing.

If a game has average writing, like Halo, gamers think its epic.

Along with the fact that the whole game is listening to dialogue, it's also got some serious problems with pathing.

And the load times may be shorter, but they'll still be too frequent. Gotta load every time you walk into a new area? For a mostly 2D game?

Yet breath of the wild you can explore a beautiful gigantic 3d world without a load screen.

Congrats on failing an easy Drama check.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Halo writing is average. Sure.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ChocNitty posted:

Yet breath of the wild you can explore a beautiful gigantic 3d world without a load screen.

:confused:

Maybe in the overworld, but I'm at the beginning of the game and have had plenty of loading screens when entering shrines.

Just give me the glider and let me explore the overworld, dammit. :colbert: This old man sucks.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Bungie is the pinnacle of video game writing lmao

The flood
The darkness
The moon

They are wordsmiths

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bungie is great at writing games where all the interesting stuff is on a Fandom wiki page and absolutely none is in game.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

(also, I'm gonna fuckin say it, playing video games while doing cardio is loving bonkers and is definitely one of the main reasons I've managed to lose around 50 pounds in the last 14 months)

I'm gonna ask, how? Some kind of stationary bike setup? I hate cardio and need a way to bribe myself to do it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Prophet of Nixon posted:

That looks pretty cool, getting the demo for the first one!

the demo intentionally gives you a party that's pretty boring and overpowered but the actual game never gets very difficult regardless, just so you know

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah average is being generous

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I'm gonna ask, how? Some kind of stationary bike setup? I hate cardio and need a way to bribe myself to do it

Alright, so this started last April when gyms shut down locally, and I rented a stationary bike and put it in my living room. Then to get myself to use it I said "I'm only going to play video games when I'm on the bike" so I started a new playthrough on the outer worlds (since I'd never played the DLC before) Over like 6 weeks I went from 40 minutes on the bike to 80 minutes on the bike 6 days a week.

Now gyms are back in business so I returned the exercise bike, but the upside is that I can bring my switch and play pretty much any dialogue heavy RPG while on the stationary bike and it will absolutely distract me from the amount of time I am spending doing cardio.

Apparently this is called "Habit Stacking" and it has existed for years, but I can confirm that it worked for me regarding cardio. I would also recommend putting a timer on your phone, and not looking at it until you hear the alarm go off. The more time I can spend focused on my switch the less time I am spending thinking about my legs burning, or sweat dripping into my eyes, etc.

tl;dr do exercise by disassociating

Looper posted:

the demo intentionally gives you a party that's pretty boring and overpowered but the actual game never gets very difficult regardless, just so you know

Yeah VoC: tDR is pretty easy, but also the first in the series, I assume it will get weirder and more difficult the longer it goes on. Also it was a nice hit of nostalgia heroin

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

:confused:

Maybe in the overworld, but I'm at the beginning of the game and have had plenty of loading screens when entering shrines.

Just give me the glider and let me explore the overworld, dammit. :colbert: This old man sucks.

Eh, the glider is cool but the other poo poo you collect from the first shrines is tons of fun, too.

I've bombed, stasis-slammed or magneto-bowled so much poo poo it's incredible. In the Gerudo-desert for example, there are multiple metallic treasure chests just stuck in the sand, seemingly unopenable. Guess what yo can do with your magnet tool? :haw:

The frost tool is also astonishingly useful for powerwalking across big water areas. Especially nice if you haven't gotten enough endurance yet to just swim the way, or if there are annoying enemies in the water.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I tried to play BotW on the exercise bike at work when the game was new but I kept finding myself not having been pedaling.

Even though I totally get down for learning languages or audibooks while bicycle commuting.

Might not work for everyone though it's definitely worth the attempt.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Libluini posted:

The frost tool is also astonishingly useful for powerwalking across big water areas. Especially nice if you haven't gotten enough endurance yet to just swim the way, or if there are annoying enemies in the water.

Ooh, this sounds dope. :3:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

Ooh, this sounds dope. :3:

Just remember to always save before doing a stupid stunt. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mezzanon posted:

Alright, so this started last April when gyms shut down locally, and I rented a stationary bike and put it in my living room. Then to get myself to use it I said "I'm only going to play video games when I'm on the bike" so I started a new playthrough on the outer worlds (since I'd never played the DLC before) Over like 6 weeks I went from 40 minutes on the bike to 80 minutes on the bike 6 days a week.

Now gyms are back in business so I returned the exercise bike, but the upside is that I can bring my switch and play pretty much any dialogue heavy RPG while on the stationary bike and it will absolutely distract me from the amount of time I am spending doing cardio.

Apparently this is called "Habit Stacking" and it has existed for years, but I can confirm that it worked for me regarding cardio. I would also recommend putting a timer on your phone, and not looking at it until you hear the alarm go off. The more time I can spend focused on my switch the less time I am spending thinking about my legs burning, or sweat dripping into my eyes, etc.

tl;dr do exercise by disassociating

Yeah VoC: tDR is pretty easy, but also the first in the series, I assume it will get weirder and more difficult the longer it goes on. Also it was a nice hit of nostalgia heroin

I played Layton vs. Wright on the elliptical machine. When I finally caved and got a smart phone, I rotated in watching video LPs.

Now I take karate lessons instead of going to the gym, so no more Switch while working out, even though the sensei is a total nerd and will happily geek out about games before/after class.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ChocNitty posted:

Gotta load every time you walk into a new area? For a mostly 2D game?

i question your ability to perceive the third dimension considering it is quite clearly not a 2D game?? like. at all?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hammer Bro. posted:

I tried to play BotW on the exercise bike at work when the game was new but I kept finding myself not having been pedaling.

Even though I totally get down for learning languages or audibooks while bicycle commuting.

Might not work for everyone though it's definitely worth the attempt.

This is why I play dialogue heavy RPG's or any turn based game. Triangle Strategy is going to be a cardio all star. Thinking about double dipping on disco elysium for cardio as well

Silver Falcon posted:

I played Layton vs. Wright on the elliptical machine. When I finally caved and got a smart phone, I rotated in watching video LPs.

Now I take karate lessons instead of going to the gym, so no more Switch while working out, even though the sensei is a total nerd and will happily geek out about games before/after class.

Yeah the switch just comes for cardio days 4times a week. The other 3 days are rock climbing days, so no video games.

I also spent a LOT of time watching paper Magic: the Gathering coverage at 1.5 speed and listening to podcasts at 1.25 speed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If I trusted myself more on my treadmill, I'd play Civ 6 on my Switch while walking.

I'd definitely drop that by accident.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Because I'm both curious and lazy, I tried out the Switch Twitter function instead of tediously taking out my card and transferring screenshots by hand.

This is the result:

https://twitter.com/Libluini/status/1490813685819871232

https://twitter.com/Libluini/status/1490814723687739394

https://twitter.com/Libluini/status/1490814907700310017

https://twitter.com/Libluini/status/1490815053330673666

https://twitter.com/Libluini/status/1490815122138226692

This post was brought to you by TwitterEmbedd: Screenshot Sharing for Lazy People

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't that the entire point of the share button

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You also don't need to use twitter or Facebook for any of that anymore nor do you need to remove the card; you just need an app that can read QR codes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's good for videos too

https://twitter.com/wolicyponk/status/1445568388407775232?t=-CjEwHGEaWEkpcYzgScVaw&s=19

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just use a USB C phone cable to transfer my screenshots to PC.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I just use a USB C phone cable to transfer my screenshots to PC.

huh i missed that you can do that now, apparently it was added in 11.0

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

can you use a usb C to A cable or does it have to be C on both ends

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

A-C works fine, I just tried it out with the cable that came with the Pro Controller

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You also don't need to use twitter or Facebook for any of that anymore nor do you need to remove the card; you just need an app that can read QR codes.

Holy crap that's pretty neat

Also on my third (and a half) BoTW playthrough, this time on Master mode with the pro hud option. Feels like an entirely fresh and new experience. I also feel I haven't even seen everything yet going on five years after release.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Master Mode is fail.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

welp, Best Buy had some OLED models in stock so :homebrew:

What are used launch Switches selling for these days?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
$350

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

American McGay posted:

Master Mode is fail.

Welp there goes my 50+ hours of play, thanks for saving me time.

No seriously, what's wrong with it? I noticed it encourages you to use the combat techniques and cooking in the game to make progress easier for yourself instead of just wildly swinging away. It actually feels challenging to me instead of the easy breezy vanilla experience.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

FBS posted:

welp, Best Buy had some OLED models in stock so :homebrew:

What are used launch Switches selling for these days?

Launch, one year post launch, or Redbox?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You don't even need a separate app if you're on iOS, you can install this Shortcut and have it automatically run whenever you scan the first QR code with your camera.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3x Enemy HP + Enemy HP Regen + Item Durability = Pain

The remixed enemy camps are wasted because you're basically encouraged to just avoid all combat.

Have enemies be way more deadly and challenging, but don't just flip a switch and make them sponges. That's lame difficulty.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

American McGay posted:

3x Enemy HP + Enemy HP Regen + Item Durability = Pain

The remixed enemy camps are wasted because you're basically encouraged to just avoid all combat.

Have enemies be way more deadly and challenging, but don't just flip a switch and make them sponges. That's lame difficulty.

Sorry I can't hear you, I'm up in the snowy plains killing off gold lynels for their guts and gear.

:ssh: (parrying/blocking and flurry rushes are op from the getgo)

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
gently caress the korok Master Sword trials tho. They can eat poo poo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i got really excited when i saw the floating octo platforms but other than ballooning enemy health and adding a new tier of them, there aren't really any other changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

hatty posted:

Launch, one year post launch, or Redbox?

I gots a launch day switch. I think those are the most modable correct?