Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
I recently started a Lievito Madre to up my Pizza game and now tried making a Pane Pugliese using it. It's a southern Italian style bread using fine semolina (more commonly used for making pasta). My shaping and scoring are still atrocious and I probably should have let it proof a little longer but I love the color and it tastes incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That looks hella good

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone have an especially good cinnamon roll recipe? I'm making a batch right now from excess pizza dough, but I'm curious about what goes into a really good cinnamon roll.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

HolHorsejob posted:

what goes into a really good cinnamon roll.

Love and care

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There is a strange amount of technique to cinnamon rolls you won't just get from recipes. The Epicurious 4 levels video shows some of the differences:

https://youtu.be/5sue-66PgTE

...of particular shock to me was cutting and rolling individual strips instead of trying to slice up a dough megasushi.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone have an especially good cinnamon roll recipe? I'm making a batch right now from excess pizza dough, but I'm curious about what goes into a really good cinnamon roll.

My wife made these recently swapping in cinnamon for the cardamom and they rule

https://youtu.be/JlzmsTiOJnU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Barbelith posted:

I recently started a Lievito Madre to up my Pizza game and now tried making a Pane Pugliese using it. It's a southern Italian style bread using fine semolina (more commonly used for making pasta). My shaping and scoring are still atrocious and I probably should have let it proof a little longer but I love the color and it tastes incredible.

Holy poo poo. Can you post your recipe? :monocle:

In other news, I'm liking the America's Test Kitchen's Bread Illustrated less and less. It feels like a lot of their techniques end up holding me back, and when I find a new technique from a different source, I end up making a big leap in quality. To wit: their chocolate babka:

Took fuckin' hours to do an initial rise, hours more in the pan, and eventually I just got sick of waiting and baked it as is. It's kind of a dense, the filling is not terribly sweet, my daughter loves it but poo poo, it's chocolate bread.

I feel like I could find a different recipe on serious eats, or any random cooking blog, and end up with something better. It was a good start, but I really feel that a lot of the techniques and bread illustrated are oversimplified, in the wrong way.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

null_pointer posted:

In other news, I'm liking the America's Test Kitchen's Bread Illustrated less and less. It feels like a lot of their techniques end up holding me back, and when I find a new technique from a different source, I end up making a big leap in quality. To wit: their chocolate babka:

Took fuckin' hours to do an initial rise, hours more in the pan, and eventually I just got sick of waiting and baked it as is. It's kind of a dense, the filling is not terribly sweet, my daughter loves it but poo poo, it's chocolate bread.

I feel like I could find a different recipe on serious eats, or any random cooking blog, and end up with something better. It was a good start, but I really feel that a lot of the techniques and bread illustrated are oversimplified, in the wrong way.

:psyduck: I have not seen a babka shaped like that before.

Thanks for the warning on the ATK bread book. I like their family classics cookbook, but I'll stay away from the bread!

When looking to make something new I like to check King Arthur, Serious Eats, and Smitten Kitchen first and then do a deep dive into other blogs.

In fact, King Arthur has a recipe with a bake-along for chocolate babka. Which I might have to make soon, because it looks tasty.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

null_pointer posted:

Sure. I used this recipe but it is in German and VERY detailled, so just the basics:

100g fresh Lievito Madre
350ml Water
500g Semola Rimacinata (I actually used Durum because it was what I had lying around and I've got no idea what the difference is)
16g Salt

Mix water and semola and let autolyse for an hour.
Add Livieto Madre, stretch and fold.
Let rest for 30 Minutes.
Add salt, stretch and fold.
For two hours, stretch and fold every 30 minutes.
Cover, let ferment overnight in the fridge.
Let it get to room temperature ~2 hours
Shape the dough (either long or round depending on your fermentation basket).
Put it in a fermentation basket and let it rise for another hour (I guess here's where I should have been a little more patient and wait longer).
Meanwhile preheat oven with Dutch oven inserted to max (300°C in my case).
Put bread into Dutch oven, score it, close lid, reduce temperature to 250.
Let bake for 10 Minutes.
Reduce heat to 220 and let bake for 25 minutes.
Remove lid from Dutch oven, let bake until colored appropriately (recipe says 5-10 Minutes, only took 3 in my case).
Let cool on rack, enjoy.

The Lievito Madre is just a basic wheat sourdough. I used my standard whole grain rye sourdough as a starting point and refreshed it daily for 1 week with Typo 0 pizza flour. There's links on the page for a more involved way to create one from scratch but I'm lazy and it seems to have worked out just fine.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

effika posted:

:psyduck: I have not seen a babka shaped like that before.

Do you mean the double spiral (which is the only good part of the recipe and results)? Or the fact that it looks like a sun-dried turd?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

These two came out especially nice.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Anne Frank Funk posted:

These two came out especially nice.

:allears:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

null_pointer posted:

Do you mean the double spiral (which is the only good part of the recipe and results)? Or the fact that it looks like a sun-dried turd?
Babka is supposed to be dense afaik, but it does look like it didn't rise enough.

I think babka might be one of those things where the traditional version isn't the most delicious or the one most people want. I think ATK was going for a more restrained version, but if you want the absolute tastiest, I would aim to duplicate Trader Joe's.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I think babka might be one of those things where the traditional version isn't the most delicious or the one most people want...

I'm fairly certain that this is the case. ATK:s book has a recipe for pumpernickel that is super traditional, and probably nothing like 90% of people think of as pumpernickel. That's unfortunately the problem with a lot of their recipes, I think, a lot of the recipes hew too close to tradition, and are simpler than they should be, which leads to a product that often disappoints on many levels.

The recipes for sandwich breads are generally very good, and they absolutely got me into bread baking, but I can't say I would recommend it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Anne Whateley posted:

Babka is supposed to be dense afaik, but it does look like it didn't rise enough.

I think babka might be one of those things where the traditional version isn't the most delicious or the one most people want. I think ATK was going for a more restrained version, but if you want the absolute tastiest, I would aim to duplicate Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's is the first babka I ever had, and the only one until I made the King Arthur pre-packaged babka mix thing, which was ok. It smelled very 'weirdly sweet', but tasted fine. Nowhere near as good as the TJ's one though.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve been trying for years to make a simple crusty rustic loaf and I think have been happy with the result once

I cannot get a nice rise and I’ve no idea if it’s temperature, impatience, or what

Does anyone have a dead simple relatively foolproof recipe? I just have simple ingredients to work with (AP flour, instant yeast, sugar)

It is a fun challenge! I’d like to be able to make the basic yeasty loaf with a crunchy crust (no matter how ugly) before attempting some of the lovely things I see produced by you guys

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

redreader posted:

Trader Joe's is the first babka I ever had, and the only one until I made the King Arthur pre-packaged babka mix thing, which was ok. It smelled very 'weirdly sweet', but tasted fine. Nowhere near as good as the TJ's one though.

I haven't had theirs yet but a bakery near us makes a great one. This one I did last year was decent, I should make another one soon to iron out the irregularities:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Cat Hassler posted:

Does anyone have a dead simple relatively foolproof recipe? I just have simple ingredients to work with (AP flour, instant yeast, sugar)

This has been my go-to recipe for the past month or two, and it is absolutely miles above what I was getting, previously: https://www.seriouseats.com/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe

I sub out a few hundred ml of water with a dark-ish German lager (like Octoberfest) to get extra flavor, but water will work just fine, on its own. To do this, correctly, you'll need a banneton (wicker proofing basket, ideally with a linen lining) and a heavy dutch oven.

Follow the technique exactly: autolyse for an hour, fold incredibly gently (no tearing the dough!), and go for a final proof in a wicker proofing basket in the fridge. Make sure you pre-heat your dutch oven for at least 30-45 minutes, drop your dough in using a parchment paper (or aluminum foil [shiny side down]) sling, spritz it liberally with water from a sprayer, then cover it with a tight fitting lid.

I cannot overstate how much this recipe has elevated my bread from this:

to this:

Feel free to drop your comments into this thread and I'll help however I can!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cat Hassler posted:

I cannot get a nice rise and I’ve no idea if it’s temperature, impatience, or what

You can get for fluff from a non-artisan recipe by thoroughly mixing the water with the yeast and 20% of the flour the night before. Modern yeast doesn't need to proof but everything appreciates a good kick in the rear end to get started.

AP flour will have less gluten and hence length strength to keep in all the air by itself. It is not a huge deal but if you are trying to rig the game, you want bread flour or some vital what gluten to boost it.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

null_pointer posted:

This has been my go-to recipe for the past month or two, and it is absolutely miles above what I was getting, previously: https://www.seriouseats.com/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe

I sub out a few hundred ml of water with a dark-ish German lager (like Octoberfest) to get extra flavor, but water will work just fine, on its own. To do this, correctly, you'll need a banneton (wicker proofing basket, ideally with a linen lining) and a heavy dutch oven.

Follow the technique exactly: autolyse for an hour, fold incredibly gently (no tearing the dough!), and go for a final proof in a wicker proofing basket in the fridge. Make sure you pre-heat your dutch oven for at least 30-45 minutes, drop your dough in using a parchment paper (or aluminum foil [shiny side down]) sling, spritz it liberally with water from a sprayer, then cover it with a tight fitting lid.

I cannot overstate how much this recipe has elevated my bread from this:

to this:

Feel free to drop your comments into this thread and I'll help however I can!

Thank you! Seriously you’ve given me some helpful tips about where I’ve been going wrong

I don’t have a cast iron Dutch oven. Would a heavy Cuisinart LTD stock pot work?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You can get for fluff from a non-artisan recipe by thoroughly mixing the water with the yeast and 20% of the flour the night before. Modern yeast doesn't need to proof but everything appreciates a good kick in the rear end to get started.

AP flour will have less gluten and hence length strength to keep in all the air by itself. It is not a huge deal but if you are trying to rig the game, you want bread flour or some vital what gluten to boost it.

Thank you!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hi bread thread, anyone have thoughts or experience with a favorite Cuban loaf recipe? After moving out of Florida, it's a pretty hard thing to lay hands on when I want some delicious cubans.

For bread content: I'd spent a long time looking for the perfect cornbread recipe, and have settled on this one:
https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/old-fashioned-cornbread-and-buttermilk-with-spring-onions/
I can't say enough good things about this recipe if you like a really classic cornbread. It's got a superb crust on the bottom thanks to a well oiled pre-heated cast iron, while the inside stays perfectly moist and tender, without being too heavy.

Latest batch pictured here, ended up paired with chili.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Cat Hassler posted:

Thank you! Seriously you’ve given me some helpful tips about where I’ve been going wrong

I don’t have a cast iron Dutch oven. Would a heavy Cuisinart LTD stock pot work?

i use a lidded stainless steel stock pot to bake my loaves in, and other than having to slide it out after like fifteen minutes because the pot interferes with browning on the sides, it works pretty well for getting a lot of rise

definitely wanna upgrade to cast iron or something though

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

EightFlyingCars posted:

i use a lidded stainless steel stock pot to bake my loaves in, and other than having to slide it out after like fifteen minutes because the pot interferes with browning on the sides, it works pretty well for getting a lot of rise

definitely wanna upgrade to cast iron or something though

Thanks! Yeah I’ve gotta get an enameled Dutch oven at some point

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My technique for dutch over artisan sourdough is starting to come together, and I was aspiring to get my first ear this time. Unfortunately, the bread rose into the lid and I got a butt instead:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My technique for dutch over artisan sourdough is starting to come together, and I was aspiring to get my first ear this time. Unfortunately, the bread rose into the lid and I got a butt instead:

Yer gonna need a bigger boat pot...

Or smaller loaves!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I do actually have a larger one but they tend to go wider more than taller so it doesn't give me room the way I want it. It looks like Staub brand has some deeper ones.

Something I thought was novel I saw on YouTube was somebody had a flat lid for their Dutch oven. So they would bake upside down; the bread would go on the lid and the oven over the top. So when it came time to pull the base off for browning, more of the bread was exposed with the lid serving kind of like a stone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That piece of cookware with a flat ceramic base and then a big domed lid is called a "cloche" and it is a tool specifically designed for baking bread!

It is very similar to a Dutch oven, with a shape that's nicer for baking loaves but a lot less useful for non-bread things since you can't use it for liquids.

e: an example pic off of google:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 10, 2022

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I do actually have a larger one but they tend to go wider more than taller so it doesn't give me room the way I want it. It looks like Staub brand has some deeper ones.

Something I thought was novel I saw on YouTube was somebody had a flat lid for their Dutch oven. So they would bake upside down; the bread would go on the lid and the oven over the top. So when it came time to pull the base off for browning, more of the bread was exposed with the lid serving kind of like a stone.

Lodge sells a very affordable one they call a "double dutch oven", street price ~$50:
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B000LEXR0K/

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I fake it by putting the bread on the stone that I keep in the oven then setting a heated dutch oven down over top of it. It's a little awkward handling it, but it works pretty well for my purposes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And then there is the challenger bread pan which is an extremely nice piece of kit that costs as much as your first car.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does anybody have an Anova Precision oven? It's an appliance-sized steam/convection combo oven. Cook's Magazine hated it, several of their commenters love it. I don't have the space, or probably the wiring, for a full-sized steam oven, but I sure would like it for bread purposes.

Also, I broke down and bought a dough hook and kitchen scale, so my arm is complete again! Bread coming ahoy.

As far as baking vessels go, keep an eye on your thrift stores. The local one where I used to live had a Romertopf (sold as clay ovens for roasting) for $20, as I recall; they're $70 and up list price. The perfect cloche for a batard-shaped loaf. I fill the lid with water for 30 minutes; this means that it releases steam into the closed vessel as the vessel heats up. Makes a fab loaf.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ishamael posted:

I haven't had theirs yet but a bakery near us makes a great one. This one I did last year was decent, I should make another one soon to iron out the irregularities:

The Trader Joe's ones are super thin layers with literally more chocolate than bread. Plus chocolate chips on top. There are great notes of cinnamon and orange. It's most definitely an indulgent dessert rather than anything you could toast and call breakfast.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

plester1 posted:

Lodge sells a very affordable one they call a "double dutch oven", street price ~$50:
https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Cast-Iron-Dutch/dp/B000LEXR0K/

I found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV3at6kqnWw&t=375s

It looks like a different one that I think I saw Lodge had with a single long handle on either end. I think it might have been shorter than that 5 qt. I saw Lodge had a 6 qt but then they had to do that stupid grill thing they like to do. Those things drive me nuts.

I might actually still get that 5 qt. I'm doing a good job of seasoning my Le Creuset and maybe I don't want to just turn it completely brown.

Also: Pullman Pans: What's with them all having a nonstick coating? Are they pretty essential to working with them? It means I can't slam one in the dishwasher. I can't do that with my Dutch oven either, but at least it looks purdy.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think my USA pan has a non-stick coating. I thought it was pretty much just aluminumized steel?

Fake edit:

quote:

The unique corrugated surface of our pans is engineered to enhance nonstick properties,

Real edit: USA pans are basically magic, but you do need to apply a thin layer of grease or butter to them before baking. If you do that, they're basically non-stick, without the hassle.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are you able to link to your exact pan? This one from their site claims a non-sticking coating:

https://www.usapan.com/13-x-4-x-4-large-pullman-loaf-pan-and-cover-1160pm

quote:

Easy clean up with our non-stick coating: FDA approved for safe contact with food

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you able to link to your exact pan? This one from their site claims a non-sticking coating:

https://www.usapan.com/13-x-4-x-4-large-pullman-loaf-pan-and-cover-1160pm

Well ... gently caress. Looks like I've washed the AMERICOAT® right off my pans :smithicide:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh. If that works then that might just be fine by me.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Hey, are you guys doing anything to prevent the bottom of your bread from scorching when you cook in a dutch oven? I've tried using a layer of tin foil, shiny side down, but it's really not doing much.

For my crusty white bread, I typically preheat the oven and dutch oven at 500, then step down to 450 after 15 minutes, by the time I take it out for the last 15 minutes, the bottom is pretty close to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I put a tray in the rack below the Dutch oven for that reason. Some people put parchment paper on the bottom of the Dutch oven.