Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I need to watch Jojo at some point but I also really enjoy that it's the one piece of media where I feel like I know less about what it's about every time I read people talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I haven’t watched a Spike Lee movie since Inside Man but that one was pretty good.

inside man owns. the cast is incredible and it's just a solid heist movie.

i think i might be about to get as far as i ever have gotten in the sopranos, and it's earlier than i thought. i just got past CG livia and i think the latest ep i ever watched was one of the ones with meadow's hosed up roommate. i only watch like an episode here or there but i think i might finish it this time.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I need to watch Jojo at some point but I also really enjoy that it's the one piece of media where I feel like I know less about what it's about every time I read people talking about it.

it’s about punching people with your friends

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

a few Christmases ago one of my sisters got me a Phantom Blood poster despite me never having read a chapter of JJBA so i feel kind of indebted to her to start it at some point

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

mbt posted:

Does the italian chef from diamond appear in golden wind

He is actually in the Fugo spinoff novel iirc, but not in the anime.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

iirc thats not him its his evil italian brother

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fugo ftmfw. Making a stand so powerful the one time it gets used it has to be completely crippled also ftw

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

mbt posted:

he appears in a flashback in the light novel Purple Haze Feedback, which i am admitting to having read and enjoyed.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

oops. yeah, this

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

que sera sera posted:

he appears in a flashback in the light novel Purple Haze Feedback, which i am admitting to having read and enjoyed.

I heard it’s good and it has some cool offices aeteork in it

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

a few Christmases ago one of my sisters got me a Phantom Blood poster despite me never having read a chapter of JJBA so i feel kind of indebted to her to start it at some point

Feeling indebted to your loved ones comes up in Jojos a lot

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I heard it’s good and it has some cool offices aeteork in it

Yeah I thought it was surprisingly well written, and the illustrations are nice. It's by the guy who wrote boogiepop which ive heard of but never read otherwise. Right now he's writing a spinoff manga with Hol Horse set in Morioh with Josuke

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

mbt posted:

He has a really cool side story about using pearl jam to heal his wife (lol) and how the stand gets stronger with better ingredients. But Rohan got all the ovas

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
I also like how in the spin off novels, at least the golden wind ones, the stands are named for movies rather than songs

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Uncle Frank posted:

I also like how in the spin off novels, at least the golden wind ones, the stands are named for movies rather than songs

Cant speak for the others but in Purple Haze Feedback they are all Jimi Hendrix songs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I tried to watch the first season with my internet girlfriend, hated every minute, and kinda liked the first episode of the second season but couldn’t bring myself to keep up with it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I tried to watch the first season with my internet girlfriend, hated every minute, and kinda liked the first episode of the second season but couldn’t bring myself to keep up with it.

Stands are where it gets really good imo

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
season 1 isn't what jojos is about. except objectively admiring beefcakes, that's important the whole series.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I found it insulting and tiresome in light of my hiatus from anime caused by Kaiba having the same awful anime trope last three episodes as every other anime I ever saw. So I didn’t give it a second chance and now life is to short to bother.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wormskull posted:

I found it insulting and tiresome in light of my hiatus from anime caused by Kaiba having the same awful anime trope last three episodes as every other anime I ever saw. So I didn’t give it a second chance and now life is to short to bother.

which trope is that. i have to ask because i was thinking of watching kaiba but i also get really annoyed at stupid small things that dont matter.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The main character has to fight god/embodiment of the universe/dark part of himself which is divinely important for 2-3 tedious episodes that keep trying to top how cool the last was. Granted I was like 20 when I decided that so maybe I’m stupid. JoJo didn’t do that but my impression was that it barely rose to the level of camp to make fun of that and I was like Whatever, gently caress this crap.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Basically because I started seriously hating anime in my early twenties JoJo and the praise it was receiving for its references and whatever struck me as basically Japanese Family Guy lol. Ignorant and biased? Perhaps. But gently caress you.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

That said, Dan of Steel is pretty funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wormskull posted:

The main character has to fight god/embodiment of the universe/dark part of himself which is divinely important for 2-3 tedious episodes that keep trying to top how cool the last was. Granted I was like 20 when I decided that so maybe I’m stupid. JoJo didn’t do that but my impression was that it barely rose to the level of camp to make fun of that and I was like Whatever, gently caress this crap.

sounds alright i’ll watch it soon

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

sounds alright i’ll watch it soon

I thought it was great up until then so he’ll, good luck bro.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Basically because I started seriously hating anime in my early twenties JoJo and the praise it was receiving for its references and whatever struck me as basically Japanese Family Guy lol. Ignorant and biased? Perhaps. But gently caress you.

Family guy kicks rear end dude

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

EmmyOk posted:

Family guy kicks rear end dude

Seasons 1-3 have an oddly cozy feel. Brings me back to gathering with friends and watching them on a little portable DVD player while we’re each waiting for our turn in 4player Timesplitters. Hardly ever saw anything after that though, except for that time they did a Leeroy Jenkins bit a dozen years after it was funny

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Seasons 1-3 have an oddly cozy feel. Brings me back to gathering with friends and watching them on a little portable DVD player while we’re each waiting for our turn in 4player Timesplitters. Hardly ever saw anything after that though, except for that time they did a Leeroy Jenkins bit a dozen years after it was funny

Lol true

I mainly see clips of it and I can watch those on your tube or whatever now and then and I like that it’s a show where they don’t care about anything except doing funny bits and I don’t care if it’s alway cutaways and none of the characters make sense. Give me a million “remember that time when” over Rick and north or bojack horsemean

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wormskull posted:

I thought it was great up until then so he’ll, good luck bro.

masaaki yuasa hasnt failed me yet. even his netflix anime was insanely epic (devilman crybaby)

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

masaaki yuasa hasnt failed me yet. even his netflix anime was insanely epic (devilman crybaby)

2nding this

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*leans back and remembers the heady days of Polejack Norseman*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kaiba is awesome

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Wormskull posted:

*leans back and remembers the heady days of Polejack Norseman*

It was a different time

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

I watched like five episodes of this when I was super high and I could barely hang on. Need to finish or rewatch it from the start some day but feel like I need to be high to do it. Musician for it is doing the CSM music ftw. He also did king pong the animation surprisingly

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

He's the best.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think people hype JoJo in ways that make it seem like it's all about the memes and goofy poo poo, but what makes it so good is that it's fundamentally super good at using action and visuals to tell a story and develop characters and stuff. Also it's really surprising how dark and kinda... psychedelically nightmarish it is at times, but still manages to be kind of dopey and positive because the main characters cut through the bullshit so well.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Mista ftw

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Imp Magic energy for the Nintendo Direct today is putting good vibes out into the universe

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/futurama-revival-coming-to-hulu-in-2023-multiple-original-cast-members-returning/1100-6500509/

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
do we really need more futurama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia posted:

do we really need more futurama

I don't think we really even needed the first revival even though one of the best episodes (the one with the time machine that can only go forward in time) is from it.