Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Basically, if you've handed out titles previously, that counts towards their share of the partition.

Which is nice because stuff you've already handed out doesn't count towards your personal limits, so even with a lot of kids you can still have your primary heir inheriting a decent chunk of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Jabor posted:

Basically, if you've handed out titles previously, that counts towards their share of the partition.

Which is nice because stuff you've already handed out doesn't count towards your personal limits, so even with a lot of kids you can still have your primary heir inheriting a decent chunk of stuff.

Goddamn, that was the missing piece of the puzzle I never understood. So as you go over your personal demense just hand your poo poo out to your non primary heirs and you get to keep the good stuff?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Something that can also help is having your main duchy have an elective succession and rigging the election in your heir's favour. Just make sure that you don't set your primary title as elective because I think that messes things up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yup, that's how it works. Also it's not the end of the world when things leave your realm, as obviously your direct heirs get less gold income and levies, but having strong allies is just as good if their realm is stable, and that's how you're supposed to generate lots of renown; lots of independent dynast rulers.

Your own demesne is probably only worth keeping ~4 duchy capitals for. You could invest gold in other places, but eventually some heir will have a low stewardship and you'll have to give away something you put gold into, so don't bother.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MikeC posted:

you mean hand out titles to the kids pre-emptively? How does that work with partition?

It counts against what they would inherit otherwise, as long as they remain your vassal in the process.

So you can land your kids as you acquire land, and your primary heir will inherit "more" so to speak. You can also use it to choose which titles someone will inherit; if you give an heir a county within a kingdom, the inheritance will try to give them the kingdom as well during succession (assuming they were entitled to a kingdom in the first place, you can't use that to pass over senior children).

But if you make them independent (typically by granting them a top level title equal to your own), suddenly that doesn't apply and they get their current holdings plus a full inheritance slice.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So meanwhile King Cormac of Ireland had lots and lots and...lots of prisoners to sacrifice to Satan, enough so it's only the mandatory time progression that's keeping him from advancing to Grand High Devil Worshipper, not points. What are some of the fun things I can do with all this MP he's stockpiled? And I assume bad things will happen if he sacrifices too many? I keep getting "You're drawing attention!" warnings but then I slack off for a month or so and resume the mayhem (and get another warning)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

im hoping royal court adds new and exciting ways for me to cuckold my friends characters in multiplayer games

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks for all the advice. I somehow screwed it all up and my heir ended up with like 4 counties scattered all over England with the Norse version of England and its weird elective succession thing. Guess its time to do some bloodletting to reconsolidate.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm so excited for this expansion. I've been waiting to do the Mother of Us All achievement until this thing drops, I'm stoked.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Serephina posted:

Yup, that's how it works. Also it's not the end of the world when things leave your realm, as obviously your direct heirs get less gold income and levies, but having strong allies is just as good if their realm is stable, and that's how you're supposed to generate lots of renown; lots of independent dynast rulers.

Your own demesne is probably only worth keeping ~4 duchy capitals for. You could invest gold in other places, but eventually some heir will have a low stewardship and you'll have to give away something you put gold into, so don't bother.

Wait is the meta to go wide on duchy capitals? Do you not form the other two duchies to avoid the diplomatic malus?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the heresy tips everyone. I ended up getting a little frustrated so what I ended up doing is setting the game option to random religion. I thought this would paint wide swaths of a few different religions, but I did not read the tool tip closely. It has every county have a truly random religion. It ended up creating a mega holy war thunder dome. I was able to holy war and capture most of Ireland. I allied first with William of Normandy and with my help he lost the Norman invasion. Whoops. Then somehow Hungary got the land between Scotland and England. Then Hungary was absorbed by the HRE. Then I married my son to an HRE daughter and we are allies, which is very wild.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Arcvasti posted:

Something that can also help is having your main duchy have an elective succession and rigging the election in your heir's favour. Just make sure that you don't set your primary title as elective because I think that messes things up.

Primary elective is just fine, I do it all the time. If you're worried about the voters for that title voting for the wrong person, make sure it's a title that you own the entirety of. Any of the single county duchies are great for that when you're a duke: Mann, Gotland, Pisa, some others I don't remember offhand. There are also dozens of 2 and 3 county duchies, which are almost as easy to hold the entirety of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eimi posted:

Wait is the meta to go wide on duchy capitals? Do you not form the other two duchies to avoid the diplomatic malus?

The meta is to stay a Duke as long as possible in order to avoid the 'Too Many Duchies' penalties and stack crazy MaA buffs and discounts. That is to say if there were a meta, there largely is not, if you know what you're doing the game is extremely easy in it's current state. To put it simply the AI does not understand warfare at all, so if you're anything other than a one province count, or the target of a GHW, you can pretty much do whatever.

I'm doing a Mother of Us All run right now and in order to conquer and convert all of Africa, you barely even have to hurry. I'm like 90% done at 1150.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 7, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Eimi posted:

-20 (iirc?) isn't too dire, especially considering how broken dread is. Ck3 has real problems with both internal and external threats being too easy to negate, so as long as you have any sort of stability and/or pile of gold you can easily weather storms.

Good provinces also tend to have nice unique buildings in addition to the duchy slots, so until your development is high enough and you can pour money into that one particular duchy chain, just leave it blank and give the duchy to some mook and let him be slightly angry at you. You can take it back later for a teensy bit of tyranny that, again, is totally negated by dread for a few years. Game can be easy at times :(

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Deltasquid posted:

https://twitter.com/ElderKingsCK3/status/1490007561633992705?s=20&t=iJorlQHyZ4LxD0DAEijyRg

The Elder Kings team is wild. Their mod isn't even out yet, Royal Court isn't even out yet, but they've already recreated the White Gold Tower.
Seems like some modders were given access to RC before launch, so the largest mods will be compatible with it on the release (and they can show RC's potential)

Oh how I wish EK was already released.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Eimi posted:

The benefits of holding multiple duchy special buildings far exceed the drawbacks of the too many duchy penalties. Mid-game I usually have my ruler hold 4 or so duchy titles with only the duchy capital in most of them as their personal domain, the rest being as many as they can hold in the primary duchy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SlothBear posted:

The benefits of holding multiple duchy special buildings far exceed the drawbacks of the too many duchy penalties. Mid-game I usually have my ruler hold 4 or so duchy titles with only the duchy capital in most of them as their personal domain, the rest being as many as they can hold in the primary duchy.

Cool, but red number.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Is there a specific time tomorrow that Royal Court will release? Is it like 10am PT because Steam? Or is it a little more reasonable?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Generally with Paradox it's middle morning Swedish time, so that the team is in the office if there's any disastrous issue they have to hotfix immediately.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

PittTheElder posted:

Generally with Paradox it's middle morning Swedish time, so that the team is in the office if there's any disastrous issue they have to hotfix immediately.

Awesome, thank you!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Okay that was funny. Old Man Devil Worshipper Cormac wound up with a rebellion of about half of Ireland. On a whim I threw out a possession spell at the leader of the revolt. "Frey of the revolt is now your fanatical servant." "Would you like to end this revolt at 1% warscore, Frey?" "Sure!"

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

All of the new cultural pillars were found somewhere:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Yup! We're discussing them in discord and there's some insane traditions--

1. a tradition that gives a conquest cb
2. a tradition that gives +2 knight limit, +100% knight effectiveness
3. a tradition that allows raiding
4. a tradition that gives gold per 100 fatalities
5. a tradition that gives unlimited kingdom holy wars (already previewed)
6. a tradition that gives renown per title grant (already previewed)
7. a tradition that gives monthly renown per castle held
8. a tradition that gives strong hooks on pardon/prisoner release
9. a tradition that gives 25 dev growth when a building finishes

and I probably missed some. The potential for amazing custom cultures is crazy. Did I mention you're allowed to pick up to 5?? (and up to 8 in later eras???)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Going forward I hope as many things as possible are hooked into this system. I’m even more excited for future flavor expansions when I can use their cool new stuff by integrating their culture in various ways rather than having to play as/switch to whatever the focus area is.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

In particular stacking the specific terrain development options looks like it can generate some insane +Development bonuses. The +25 dev points when a building finished mixed with those could result in some wildly accelerated growth curves

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I’m having a theorycrafting party in my head. Thank you for posting this!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

3. a tradition that allows raiding
4. a tradition that gives gold per 100 fatalities
8. a tradition that gives strong hooks on pardon/prisoner release

All 3 of these sound amazing when combined. I was really hoping there would be one that allows raiding, because it's one of the easiest ways to generate lots of gold/prestige/piety when you're small.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The gold per casualty one is just nuts (it belongs neither there nor in the Legacy trees imo). I'm very curious about the MaA discount for horse breeders, maybe that will actually help steppe nomads be dangerous rather than totally helpless.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
A nice review that is very positive. It's been a while since I played ck3 seriously due to lack of content but if the wait brings high-level additions like this then I don't mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6LXv4BFGRg

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

MikeC posted:

A nice review that is very positive. It's been a while since I played ck3 seriously due to lack of content but if the wait brings high-level additions like this then I don't mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6LXv4BFGRg

For those who don't want to watch

- He starts by saying rate of expansions/flavor packs has been way too slow
- Interview with dev attributed a lot of the delay to struggling with working remotely, expressed confidence that now that they're back together they can have an "explosion" of teamwork and creativity
- Court is an integral part of the gameplay, but you can choose to limit your interaction with it if you don't like it
- Lots of court events and decisions ("stunning" amount)
- He liked the royal court 3d room thingy, helps break out monotony of map staring
- Helps with dynamic roleplay stuff, he found himself unlanding people that annoyed him in court, etc.
- Grandeur is too easy to get
- Court languages are a miss that don't do much
- He liked artifacts and the way you acquire them, but they are too common
- Artifacts will clog your inventory as giving them away is even clunkier and you'll end up just letting a lot of them decay
- Everything about culture changes is great
- Balance between roleplay and strategy of culture changes is really good
- Coat of Arms Editor is really good (and includes map color!)
- Royal Court is extremely modable, tons and tons of new options for mods
- Final review is 8.5/10

This is a guy who pretty much makes a living talking about paradox products so take it with a grain of salt, but I've watched some of his videos and the past and he isn't shy about complaining. He says court languages, artifact spam, and grandeur being too easy are the main problems.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My brother called me earlier if I was getting this. I said yeah prolly in a week or two when I got some extra cheddar. He goes "oh well my friend gifted me it ill let you know how it is"

gently caress you!!!! :argh:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I like -1% Prestige per dread on this tradition. Maybe try to avoid those based dread bonuses. I imagine min-maxers will shy away from this one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

SlothBear posted:

This is a guy who pretty much makes a living talking about paradox products so take it with a grain of salt, but I've watched some of his videos and the past and he isn't shy about complaining. He says court languages, artifact spam, and grandeur being too easy are the main problems.

I think in the end the most disappointing thing about CK3 for me is how easy it is. Every single system gives you bonuses upon bonuses upon bonuses for basically no effort. I'm glad to hear they're adding new mechanics, but not super stoked that their primary impact seems to be "more bonuses to stack!!"

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

megane posted:

I think in the end the most disappointing thing about CK3 for me is how easy it is. Every single system gives you bonuses upon bonuses upon bonuses for basically no effort. I'm glad to hear they're adding new mechanics, but not super stoked that their primary impact seems to be "more bonuses to stack!!"

While I won't dispute CK3 being an overall "easy" game, looking at these traditions it seems to me that the larger bonuses do come with some sort of trade-off. For example, the gold from casualties is coupled with -75% prestige/fame from battles. That seems like it at least should be something you're going to notice.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Per the Spiffing Brit RC video, there really needs to be animated cat models for the court.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SlothBear posted:

- He liked artifacts and the way you acquire them, but they are too common
- Artifacts will clog your inventory as giving them away is even clunkier and you'll end up just letting a lot of them decay

Maybe this take is too charitable, but I could see this as being an intentional decision. It looks like maintaining artifacts is expensive and requires some attention once every 50-120 years (depending on the individual artifact). This means that that only the artifacts that you actually value will be the ones to survive for any extended period of time. The generic ones, or ones that don't catch your attention in some way will end up decaying. But the ones that you end up caring about will stick around.

Or it could just be balanced improperly, dunno.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dramicus posted:

Maybe this take is too charitable, but I could see this as being an intentional decision. It looks like maintaining artifacts is expensive and requires some attention once every 50-120 years (depending on the individual artifact). This means that that only the artifacts that you actually value will be the ones to survive for any extended period of time. The generic ones, or ones that don't catch your attention in some way will end up decaying. But the ones that you end up caring about will stick around.

Or it could just be balanced improperly, dunno.

sounds like there could be a better interface for dumping your lower tier artifacts onto your vassals though

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

guidoanselmi posted:

Per the Spiffing Brit RC video, there really needs to be animated cat models for the court.

I need YouTube Chat keeping rats out of my court.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

sounds like there could be a better interface for dumping your lower tier artifacts onto your vassals though

Yeah, like they could have used their fancy new court thingy to have everyone line up for a handout or something.

"Hereye, hereye! The king declares a royal yard sale, come here for some old swords and other royal trinkets!"

Then it might be cool to see one of those artifacts still kicking around 200 years later or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Seriously. Unloading trinkets on foreign courts who don't know better is a time tested imperial technique.