Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mx. posted:

AITA For Refusing To Give in to a Disney Adult?

What in the gently caress brain worms causes this poo poo. Or for that matter overrides parental joy at seeing your kid happy with A Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for leaving my son's wedding early after he excluded me from his speech?

quote:

I have a 23 year old son "Justin" who got married 2 weeks ago. I wasn't physically involved in Justin's childhood because his mom and I got separated and I had to travel a lot for work so his stepdad was more available then I was.

During his teenage years, Justin started having fights with me saying stuff like I prioritized work over him, that I'm a disney parent but was never there for the hard times even though I provided for him financially but he claimed that "it's only because the law made me" which isn't true at all and I strongly believe his stepdad was feeding lies into him.

In the past 3 years, Justin started coming around and I met his then girlfriend now wife. when I heard that they were getting married, I decided to offer paying for the venue and Justin seemed very appreciative of it.

My wife and I attended the wedding and all went well. except...when Justin started giving a speech. he kept talking about his mom and stepdad and nowhere did he mention me, not even with a single wotd of recognition. I was hurt and devastated. I couldn't help but feel this way, I tried acting normal and keep my composure but I felt so heavy I decided to leave the wedding early. I went home and broke down but then I calmed down.

Justin called asking why I left so early, I said I felt sick but he kept pushing til I told him that I got upset that he didn't mention me or recognize me in his speech and he said that I was being ridiculous to get upset over that. I asked him to respect how I felt but he argued he wasn't going to lie to make me happy. I asked what he meant because as far as I know, part of his wedding was paid for by me. He said I was unbelieveble then hung up. I called again amd we fought on the phone after I told him that I felt unappreciated and disrespected, he said he owed me exactly nothing then hung up.

We haven't talked eversince and my wife says I went too harsh on Justin and should apologize for disrespecting his wedding and not showing support by leaving like that.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Grape posted:

What in the gently caress brain worms causes this poo poo. Or for that matter overrides parental joy at seeing your kid happy with A Thing.

This person throws away resellable goods if they don't have Disney branding. She is mentally ill.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing to babysit my step daughter so my husband can attend his brothers wedding?

and the doormat of the decade award goes to...

See also: Screaming Cowbird
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_cowbird

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr. Lobe posted:

This person throws away resellable goods if they don't have Disney branding. She is mentally ill.

Yeah that’s extreme even for people obsessed with Disney

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

magicmixies look pretty baller and i would have been obsessed as a child

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peanut Butter posted:

Reeeeeeeeally? That's super interesting. I'm not exactly surprised but never heard of this before.

There's a Behind the Bastards on it, but there have been MANY cases that came out of people who were born via in vitro who did DNA tests for one reason or another and found out they were related to a whole bunch of other people... including family of the in vitro doctor. Sometimes it's because of a genetic condition, sometimes a 23 and Me thing. It's happened a horrific number of times. Dr Cline was a big one, but he's by far not the only guy who's fathered dozens/hundreds just because he ran the clinic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Peanut Butter posted:

Reeeeeeeeally? That's super interesting. I'm not exactly surprised but never heard of this before.

it's true, there was an x-files episode on it and everything

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My Boyfriend is in a Green Card Marriage

quote:

Me (20, F) and my boyfriend (20, M) have known eachother for over 3 years but we've only been dating for 3 months. In his last relationship his wife cheated on him and then broke up with him. They were gonna get the marriage annulled but never did. Later she said she wants to help him get his citizenship. I've known about all of this since before we were dating. I thought I would be okay with it but it's proving to be a lot harder than I thought. We have to keep our relationship kind of secretive. This means no appreciation posts about eachother online. That shouldn't upset me as much as it does but I've always wanted my SO to post me to their page and my last boyfriend didn't have any social media. He also has to go stay with her every few months. He's not the type to cheat and I'm not worried about that but it still bums me out. It feels like he's not mine.

He said that if it ever upset me he would just annull the marriage but I feel selfish asking that of him. I'm white as gently caress from a white as gently caress area, I don't understand the struggles of being an illegal immigrant. I dont want to ask too much of him. I really love him and I don't know if I should just hold out or ask him to just end the marriage.

TD:LR my boyfriend is in a green card marriage and I don't know if it's selfish to ask him to annulle the marriage now.

quote:

Don’t date married people

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's a Behind the Bastards on it, but there have been MANY cases that came out of people who were born via in vitro who did DNA tests for one reason or another and found out they were related to a whole bunch of other people... including family of the in vitro doctor. Sometimes it's because of a genetic condition, sometimes a 23 and Me thing. It's happened a horrific number of times. Dr Cline was a big one, but he's by far not the only guy who's fathered dozens/hundreds just because he ran the clinic.

I remember some Lifetime movies about this poo poo too.

Probably some Law and Order poo poo too.

AITA for refusing to make my friend’s baby a handmade item?

quote:

Let me preface this by saying I thought this through trying to see both sides. Maybe I’m blind by my pain. Maybe she’s blind by new mommy syndrome. Here’s my story.

My husband and I have struggled for over 7 years to have a baby. In that time my closest friend has had 3 babies. I’ve endured every baby shower, belly photo, and pregnancy complaint she’s had. It’s no secret that we’ve struggled. I’ll admit I downplay my pain about it because ultimately it isn’t her fault that we can’t have kids and I don’t want her to feel bad. She deserves to be excited about her babies.

As it turns out I’m quite crafty. I enjoy sewing and knitting. One of my favorite things to make are baby blankets and small clothes and accessories like hats and such. I make little handmade items all the time as shower gifts and newborn presents. I always hoped I would make things for my own kids one day. I always give this friend baby items of this nature. Handmade. Soft. Thoughtful. Made with love.

Fast forward to a week ago. My friend is big into newborn photo shoots and wants a particular outfit made for it. Basically she wants to dress her little boy as an animal and do a jungle theme photo shoot. She finds the pattern on Etsy and sends it to me to sew and asks me if it’s possible to make before their photo shoot. For context the pattern is very difficult and would take hours of work, but it is not out of the scope of my skills. I’ve never told her no before and I didn’t know how to do it. My husband is pissed. He thinks I should say no. The pain of being infertile is something we’ve both dealt with for years and I know he’s tired of seeing me in pain making these items. We’re on the verge of giving up altogether and trying to find a shred of joy in our baby free life but it really is painful.

She hasn’t delivered yet so I’ve got time but I’m wondering…. Am I the rear end in a top hat if I refuse? I’m tired of the pain of making sweet little baby items for other peoples babies…

Pull a fairy tale deal on her: offer her the outfit in exchange for the baby.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Am I the A****** (23 F & 27 M) for not wanting to touch his lump?

quote:

My partner of 1 year has a lump on his lower leg, he has been complaining about it all week. I thought it may be a pimple but hasn't gone away. He asked me to look at it which is fine, no issues BUT then he started regularly asking me to touch it while we cuddling and making weird sounds of pleasure...

I asked him what was going on and he said it hurts so good. At first I thought he was kidding but would get frustrated if I pulled away...I finally said I didn't want to anymore and he was super offended. It made me uncomfortable, I feel bad and am unsure if I did something wrong? Am I in the wrong?

Oh God what parasite has infested this man??

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

ahahah gross

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ah so it's like this, but for Disney

nah, even compared to other people that blow money on fandoms, Disney Adults are a completely different breed - they are FREAKS for lovely licensed merch. I didn't fully internalize how weird it was as a kid, but I remember going to a classmates house where their living room was covered with freestanding bookshelves filled with family photographs and every little trinket from Disneyworld. Not just cheap toys either, like little glass trinkets of characters that had to cost $20-$30+ in the 90s. And it wasn't just the trinkets, every visible blanket and pillow was licensed merch, and when I was had dinner in the kitchen, I noticed every last glass, bowl, and piece of silverware was branded merchandise, spoon with little acrylic handles with pictures of goofy or mickey in them, glassware with Alladin and the genie on them, the whole deal

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

text editor posted:

nah, even compared to other people that blow money on fandoms, Disney Adults are a completely different breed - they are FREAKS for lovely licensed merch. I didn't fully internalize how weird it was as a kid, but I remember going to a classmates house where their living room was covered with freestanding bookshelves filled with family photographs and every little trinket from Disneyworld. Not just cheap toys either, like little glass trinkets of characters that had to cost $20-$30+ in the 90s. And it wasn't just the trinkets, every visible blanket and pillow was licensed merch, and when I was had dinner in the kitchen, I noticed every last glass, bowl, and piece of silverware was branded merchandise, spoon with little acrylic handles with pictures of goofy or mickey in them, glassware with Alladin and the genie on them, the whole deal

I've got that section of family... I find their house so unnerving to be in. So many Mickeys.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Bramble posted:

Brand New Reddit Flavor

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

magicmixies look pretty baller and i would have been obsessed as a child

I know, right? That toy looks kick rear end

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Bramble posted:

Come at it with a knife

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Bramble posted:

I'ma get-get-get-get you drunk
Get you love drunk off my lump
My lump, my lump

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ah so it's like this, but for Disney

No, if that post is accurate, it's not the mom wanting her daughter to play with her old toys, it's the mom having ultra-OCD or something along those lines and throwing out anything without a Disney character on it. She is completely insane and needs psychiatric help.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My mother in law wants to legally adopt my baby

quote:

I've had a lot of trouble with my MIL but this is probably the most upset I've been.

Today MIL invited me to spend the day shopping with her (we've had a lot of ups and downs and I really thought this was her way of reaching out and we could start to rebuild the relationship) We sat at a coffee shop and barely ordered our drinks when she asked me who my baby's Godparents are and where would he be going if something were to happen to us. At first I thought she was just concerned and maybe a little nosey. I politely told her that we have not made a final decision yet because there are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration before we can make a final decision. Before I could finish my sentence she ambushed me with the topic of adopting my baby so that there will be "less problems and procedures" the day that something happens to us. I was basically too stunned to speak and sat there in silence for a while with my mind racing. Why is she so concerned? Hubby and I are both perfectly healthy and stable financially and physically so the chances of something happening to BOTH of us are very slim.

I thought by changing the topic she would eventually forget about it but the next thing I knew she burst into tears in the middle of the coffee shop asking why she isn't good enough to look after my baby and what she's done so wrong that we hadn't even asked her if she'd take care of him if something were to happen.

I just told her it isn't any of her business, paid the bill without even drinking my coffee and left. I came home to Hubby being upset because MIL has been blowing up his phone and has been saying I denied her any and all rights to see my baby in the future and that she tried to reconcile with me but I'm just too much of a monster.

I left Hubby at home while I went grocery shopping so we both could cool down and when I got home I told him what really happened.

He didn't really say much after I told him, but he's been ignoring MIL and now she wants to come have a family meeting at our house tonight. Hubby doesn't think it's a good idea but I on the other hand would love to put her in her place and let her know exactly where she stands when it comes to MY baby.

What do you think I should do?

just to be clear

quote:

Are you saying she actually asked to adopt your LO as in legally making her the legal mother?

quote:

Yup, that is EXACTLY what she wants because it will make the process easier with less "paperwork" if hubby and I aren't here anymore according to her

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shades of the single dad and his son who were absolutely positive that son's wife was going to die in childbirth and were champing at the bit for it to happen so that the son could enjoy the hardships of single dad life.

bibliophile
Feb 9, 2008

Mx. posted:

just to be clear

I get wanting to put that bonkers MIL in her place but like that 'family meeting' is one hundo percent gonna turn into a double-murder kidnapping if they let it happen, right?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for wanting my boyfriend to spend the night? (edited for paragraph breaks)

quote:

I, 21 female, and my boyfriend, 23 male, have been together for about 5 and a half years. We’ve recently hit that part of our life where we’re nearing the end of college, and are looking at what’s next. I still have a little bit of my college career left, but my boyfriend is graduating this spring. He’s planning on going into the medical field, and I couldn’t be more proud.

With that being said, he has been studying really hard for the MCAT for the past few months in order to take it in April. I’ve made sure to give him the time and space he needs to study for it, which has been hard for me to adjust to since I’m used to talking to him throughout the day. Now we’re lucky if we get a call at the end of the night because he’s studying all day and gets tired. I live an hour away from him now, so I also don’t get to see him as often in person as I did when I lived at home with my parents (10 min away from his house).

I was hoping for Valentine’s Day weekend, he could come up to my apartment and sleep over for a night so we can get some quality time together. He also wanted to come stay with me. His step mother is very strict about his studying right now, and is a little upset about these plans. She said I’m too much of a distraction to his studying and that it wouldn’t be a good idea for him to come stay the night at my apartment since he would miss out on studying for a whole day. I feel like we could have both and that he could study in my apartment’s study room for a few hours while I do chores and then we can hang out for the rest of the night. She disagrees and says we should just meet for dinner at a halfway point between my apartment and his house so he doesn’t spend too much time away from his studying.

Meanwhile she is planning on selling their house and having them move out by the beginning of March this year, which will take a lot of time out of his studying and will be very stressful for him to do so with such short notice! (She only just told the family about the move at the end of January). So, with all of that to say, am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting my boyfriend to spend the night at my apartment?

Edit: I should also add that my boyfriend is Asian, so respecting his elders is really important (not that it isn’t important here in the states, but I feel like it’s a really big deal in his household). I only point this out because it would be extremely difficult for him to stand up to her without upsetting his dad. His dad is currently living in my boyfriend’s home country, so that’s why stepmom is running the ship here in the states. Also thank you for all of the replies so far! They made me feel like I wasn’t being too needy after all! I’ll talk to him tonight about setting our plans and sticking with them despite potential disapproval

Sounds to me like he should just move in with OP, at least temporarily, since they're selling the house stepmom wants him to study in under him!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

bibliophile posted:

I get wanting to put that bonkers MIL in her place but like that 'family meeting' is one hundo percent gonna turn into a double-murder kidnapping if they let it happen, right?

OP needs to stand her ground and preemptively shoot her MIL.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mx. posted:

So this poo poo is only going to get worse right?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mx. posted:

The OP has some theories in the comments.

OP posted:

It's uncomfortable, right? I feel kinda terrible about it but it's also really hard to have a relationship with someone like that. Elsa literally only talks about Disney-related stuff. She's 40.

OP posted:

The more I think about it the more I think it's because we grew up kinda poor and the "rich kids' in our town went to Disney for vacations. I really thing she conflates Disney with being well off or classy.

OP posted:

It's also not like she wasn't allowed to have Disney things growing up. We did have some of the VHS tapes of the more recent ones like Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, ect. We had some of the toys but not all of them. It's not like she wanted something Disney related and our parents said no deliberately or threw it out. She acts like it was something that our parents kept from her. It's so unusual.

:therapy:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DrManiac posted:

So this poo poo is only going to get worse right?

Oh dear lord yes. The niece isn't even old enough to properly express that she hates Disney yet, after all..

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Also, here are two dubiosities.

AITA for paying my niece 50$ for the birthday cake she made for my son's birthday?

quote:

my 16 year old niece Judy is into bakery, she bakes plenty of sweets and cakes. Due to my brother and his wife's financial situation, Judy got dropped of cooking academy. She was heartbroken over this especially because she was on top of her class. She was determine to go back to cooking academy so she started selling stuff she bakes online to be able to afford her classes. her parents thought cooking academy was a distraction from school and disapproved of it though, they started demanding she bakes for neighbors and friends for free.

my son's 4th birthday was last week. I asked Judy if she could bake a cake for 50$. she agreed but my brother said no chance and swore up and down that she will do it for free. Judy said if she keeps working for free she'll no longer be able to afford the academy, not to mention the ingredients. I said I have no issue paying but my brother said we're family and the cake was for free.

this didn't sit right with me so I went behind my brother and his wife's back and gave Judy the 50$ before they left the party.

well, they found out and yelled at Judy for accepting the money, then my brother called saying I shouldn't have paid her but I said she deserves the money for her efforts but he went on about how unacceptable it is for family to pay for favors, and said that Judy got grounded for acting so entitled. I had an argument with him and told him to stop the punishement but he said we wouldn't be dealing with this if I didn't go behind his back and gave judy the money in the first place. I hung up then met up with my family to discuss this and they all agreed that I should never had sneaked my niece the money and disrespecting her parents wishes. they told me that I don't even get to speak ill of my brother because he was just trying to be generous with me and was being real family.

I don't know I feel I might be TA for this. AITA?

AITA for using sunscreen and not telling my girlfriend about it?

quote:

this might sound stupid but hear me out PLEASE!.

My girlfriend and I have been together for 6 months. The other day I borrowed some of her sunscreen that was in her purse when she came over because I ran out of subscreen and couldn't stop by the pharmacy to get some.

She caught me and was upset, I apologized and said I ran out of suncsreen and will buy some soon. She said this wasn't really the main issue then went on to explain that me as someone with dark skin do not need sunscreen and said that she found this offensive to her (she has a light skin) and her background. I was puzzled I said I have bern using sunscreen eversince I was a teenager and she found that "offensive" for some reason. I admitted that I was wrong for bring this up earlier but really didn't think it was a big deal. she suddenly started arguing with me suggesting I stop using sunscreen because I don't need it. I said that was stupid because she doesn't know much about my skin issues amd so unless she's a doctor then I don't have to listen to her. She got offended and upset to the point of cancelling hangout together then stormed off.

I tried calling her hoping she'd calmed down but she doubled down saying I insulted her and hurt her feelings at the same time. She wanted me to make this situation right and lessen the tension caused by our fight but I haven't.

I'm confused because I didn't think this was a huge secret to keep since we don't live together and she doesn't know much about my routine. AITA though?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Oh dear lord yes. The niece isn't even old enough to properly express that she hates Disney yet, after all..

I was talking more about the Disney freaks phenomenon in general. Like, with Disney absorbing more and more of popular media and spreading it’s influence farther I can honestly see this type of person getting more extreme.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quackles posted:

AITA for paying my niece 50$ for the birthday cake she made for my son's birthday?

Melanoma gets people with dark skin. Not as often, but usually with worse outcomes due to being caught later.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

just to be clear

this is actually a sequel

AITA for not allowing MIL to see my baby?

quote:

I will try to keep things as short and sweet as possible. I am 22F and husband 27M

We found out we were pregnant before we got married and decided to postpone the wedding. We did eventually get married after baby was born. We waited until I was around 9 weeks pregnant untill we started telling the closest friends and family. My now MIL was very upset at the time and after saying my baby will burn in hell she came with a long list of demands.

I ignored her for the first couple of months, it was easy not to see her because my husband did not allow any visitation during my pregnancy because he lost a lot of family due to Covid and simply didn't want to take any chances. We ended up filming a video of us announcing the gender and just sent it to everyone via texts, whatsapp and email.

MIL was furious that she wasn't the one who planned our gender reveal and had a huge meltdown.

After finding out it was a boy, the first thing she asked is if we were going to have him circumcised by the church's doctor.

Hubby and I had a long discussion about this and decided that if it is not medically necessary we would leave him intact so that he can make his own choices about his body and religion when he is old enough to understand everything.

MIL said she would not acknowledge my child as her grandchild and did not want anything to do with him. This was the last I heard of her until my baby was born.

I went into preterm labor at 33 weeks and baby boy was born at 34 weeks via emergency C section after all efforts of natural birth failed.

We announced his birth on the family group chat and MIL had yet another meltdown about not being told I was in labor and that baby had been born. We announced his name and she cried even worse when she heard we did not pick a family name.

She showed up unannounced when we got home from the hospital and my husband told her to leave. She has been harassing us non stop and we eventually let her meet him. I exclusively breastfeed and she hates not being able to feed him and having to give him back to me when he's hungry.

When she came to visit again I let her hold him while I was quickly cleaning up the kitchen and when I got back into the room, there she was feeding him a bottle of formula that she snuck in without my knowledge.

I immediately took my son, and called our estate security to escort her from the premises.

My husband is supporting me all the way and has cut all ties with his mom. His brother has now been giving us hell and trying to convince us to fix the relationship because MIL "can't cope" with life anymore. He has repeatedly told me I'm an AH and countless other names and says I should have just done what MIL wanted so everyone can be happy.

So Am I really the AH?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'ma get-get-get-get you drunk
Get you love drunk off my lump
My lump, my lump

It’s lump, it’s lump, it’s on my leg
It’s lump, it’s lump, don’t make me beg

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Quackles posted:

*blinks twice and strokes out*

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Holy poo poo those MagicMixie things look awesome.

I will never understand the Disney adults. I saw a walkthrough of someone's house where each room was a different movie theme and it seemed very exhausting.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

My husband [39M] always serves me [34F] the off-cuts, burnt parts, etc of dinner

quote:

My husband, Joel (39M), takes care of dinner 5 nights a week. I generally cook one night on a weekend, and we’ll get takeaway another night. The reason for this is that I work 60 – 70 hours a week, and am the primary breadwinner for our household. Joel’s income is more supplemental, and he tends to work 15 - 20 hours a week. This has been the situation for the last five or so years, and we’re both happy with it (although I do wish I could work a little less, but I’m at a fairly critical point in my career).

My concern is petty, but it bothers me anyway. Joel is otherwise a good husband, but he is very biased when it comes to serving food. I already eat much smaller portions than him, which is fine, because I’m a small woman – but the food I do get is generally... the lovely bits.

For example, if Joel burns the food, he will serve himself all the good parts and I will get all the burnt parts. If Joel’s making sandwiches for us, I’ll get the sandwich made out of the two end pieces. I get the gristly or boney cuts of meat. If the meal comes with a sauce, his plate will be *swimming* in sauce and my plate will be nearly dry. I’ll get the food that’s closer to the use-by date. I once watched him make a salad: our salad mix was a little old, so he was separating out the fresher leaves from the wilted leaves. I figured he was tossing the wilted leaves, but nope! The wilted leaves all went onto my plate. I usually make myself breakfast, but when he does it for us, he'll pick the dried fruit bits out of my cereal and add it to his.

I’ve questioned him about this a few times, and he always says he doesn’t mean to, or it’s unintentional, and then will get quite grumpy and make a big show about offering me *his* plate (which again, isn’t tenable, because his serving sizes are generally 2x mine). I questioned him on the salad thing, and he didn’t have an excuse – he was silent for a while, and then just said he was having a mind blank.

I visited a good friend today and she made lunch for us. She burnt the rice – but without hesitating, served me the unburnt rice, and served herself all the burnt rice. The fact that she just did that automatically surprised me, and now I'm ruminating over my husband's behaviour again.

I’m not sure if I’m reading too much into this. Joel denies it categorically, so what is my best approach here? Is this one of those “marriage is about compromise” things?

tl;dr: husband always serves me the 'lovely' parts of food, will actively hoard the good stuff for himself, but denies it. Is this something I just learn to live with? What can I do here?

stab him, become the alpha, take his food for yourself

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA I didn't wait for my wife to finish eating

My mom's also one of these notoriously slow eaters, though I think it takes an extra layer of psychotic narcissism to insist that people around you structure their lives around your weird habits. Long ago I got into the habit of getting up and starting to clean dishes and fiddle around at family get-to-gathers while my mother was still picking at her salad and chatting with people, and she thought anything of it. We've all got weird habits and different ways of doing things, and I think one of the big things that defines you as an rear end in a top hat is expecting that other people will bend to your eccentricities.

I have a coworker who's apparently like me: someone who can't help but wolf their food down in less than five minutes no matter how hard they try to restrain themselves, and her adult daughter is a slow and meticulous eater. She said that whenever they go out to eat together she makes sure to bring a book, and she reads it while her daughter 'acts like a good girl and carefully cleans her plate.'

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Never before have I wanted to make a reddit account just to ask if her husband has a secret dog play fetish and this is as much as he dares indulge it without her consent or knowledge. Like this is how you treat dogs. You feed them the poo poo trash garbage dump pieces from your plate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

My husband [39M] always serves me [34F] the off-cuts, burnt parts, etc of dinner

You'd have to deliberately save the front end piece from when you open the bag until when you get to the other end piece.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

if i'm serving food you get the half that's closest to you. or the half that i leave you to get for yourself. it never even occurred to me that there might be good and bad bits to pick out, probably 'cuz it's just all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mx. posted:

Those things are 60-70 bucks, and Disney mom's going to throw it away?

The gently caress?